Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 25th January 2012, 10:14   #1
BHPian

Default Audi Q7 vs Porsche Cayenne vs Range Rover Sport?

Guys,
I need an SUV for the wife and kids and for occasional trips to Chandigarh. I was thinking of the RR sport but honestly I think the design is going to change in two years and for 85 lakhs that seems asinine.
Next comes he Cayenne which I think looks the best of the bunch but has the least off-road characteristics in the sense that it doesn't easily manage poor road conditions. I find the handling amazing but the ride quality the harshest of the bunch. In fact the ride quality is the biggest knock against this otherwise amazing car.
The Q7 is the best seller of the three by a LONG shot, looks amazing, has amazing ride quality and typical German workmanship. However the model is probably changing next year.

Considering these points which one would you guys suggest as the best option in compromise of ride quality vs overall presence etc.
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Audi Q7 vs Porsche Cayenne vs Range Rover Sport?

No one can doubt the presence either of the trio has. They just fill up the windscreen of your car when they are in front of you. Though in terms of physical size, the cayenne would be the most compact (never in my wildest dreams had i imagined i would term the cayenne as 'compact'). The RR sport would be a tad bigger followed by the Q7 which reminds us of the mammoth , a long extinct species. LOL
Taking in price as a factor i would say the Q7 provides you the best of all worlds as it would be relatively cheaper of the lot. I think a Q7 3.0 TDi would cheaper compared to the same engined Cayenne.
Would off-roading capabilities really matter to you ? Considering its for ferrying your wife and kids i am assuming it would hardly ever go off tarmac. In terms of ride quality i think the RR might have a slight advantage over the big Audi ,followed by the Porsche which is the most fun SUV to drive by a long shot. Space, IIRC would be more than just plenty in the Audi with the Porsche having to settle for third place.
It all just depends on what holds priority for you/your wife. If she enjoys driving and plans to drive herself then nothing even comes close to the Porsche. If a carpeting ride is a priority it would be a close call between the Range and the Audi. Finally for space it would have to be the Q7.
While the Q7 and RR sport would tick most boxes for you, the Q7 might just edge it out only because of the relatively VFM factor and also it also has a much better engine compared to the Range.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 25th January 2012 at 11:24.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 11:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
No one can doubt the presence either of the trio has. They just fill up the windscreen of your car when they are in front of you. Though in terms of physical size, the cayenne would be the most compact (never in my wildest dreams had i imagined i would term the cayenne as 'compact'). The RR sport would be a tad bigger followed by the Q7 which reminds us of the mammoth , a long extinct species. LOL
Taking in price as a factor i would say the Q7 provides you the best of all worlds as it would be relatively cheaper of the lot. I think a Q7 3.0 TDi would cheaper compared to the same engined Cayenne.
Would off-roading capabilities really matter to you ? Considering its for ferrying your wife and kids i am assuming it would hardly ever go off tarmac. In terms of ride quality i think the RR might have a slight advantage over the big Audi ,followed by the Porsche which is the most fun SUV to drive by a long shot. Space, IIRC would be more than just plenty in the Audi with the Porsche having to settle for third place.
It all just depends on what holds priority for you/your wife. If she enjoys driving and plans to drive herself then nothing even comes close to the Porsche. If a carpeting ride is a priority it would be a close call between the Range and the Audi. Finally for space it would have to be the Q7.
While the Q7 and RR sport would tick most boxes for you, the Q7 might just edge it out only because of the relatively VFM factor and also it also has a much better engine compared to the Range.
I would tend to agree with your detailed synopsis. In fact as far as VFM is concerned there is no contest. However the Q7 is going to undergo a redesign. I think next year. That is my main concern. Same with RR. Porsche however just did the redesign.

Another important question:
Should I buy now or wait for the duty reduction? When is it expected and by how much? Dealers seem mute on this point as obviously it might interfere with their monthly targets.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
I would tend to agree with your detailed synopsis. In fact as far as VFM is concerned there is no contest. However the Q7 is going to undergo a redesign. I think next year. That is my main concern. Same with RR. Porsche however just did the redesign.

Another important question:
Should I buy now or wait for the duty reduction? When is it expected and by how much? Dealers seem mute on this point as obviously it might interfere with their monthly targets.

You wait for duty reduction and you might just keep waiting all your life. How many times in the past year or 2 have we heard talks or speculation about reducing duties ??? Has the matter even been brought up where it mattered ? NO.
I guess each time the budget approaches , there are speculations of reduced duties on imports but it just does not materialize. Infact IIRC, there were talks of retaining the heavy duty last time i heard (get this verified though).
Finally about the facelift, the Q7 has been around for sometime and had a mid-life facelift more than a year ago. Sure the design isnt exciting anymore but the clean lines of the SUV make sure that it does not look dated. Ditto could apply for the Range.
Simple question with regards to the cayenne. Do you like the look of the facelift cayenne ? If yes, just take the plunge factoring in all your priorities.
IMO, the original cayenne was an ugly frog and the facelift made it a lot better. So yea, the cayenne does have the newest design of the 3,but its a complete love me or hate me effort.
Lastly, have you TDed all the 3 ? What we are discussing here is just mere theory. End of the day, which 1 makes u feel the most pampered matters as you are putting in a huge amount.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 25th January 2012 at 11:50.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 16:20   #5
BHPian

Have test driven all three and the best for my usage would be the q7 however the wifey prefers the cayenne so I guess case closed. Probably going to book the cayenne soon.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:52   #6
BHPian

Question remains guys - when is the all new Q7 expected? I have heard later this year as a 2013 model!! Does anyone ahve any info on this?
Old 25th January 2012, 18:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Question remains guys - when is the all new Q7 expected? I have heard later this year as a 2013 model!! Does anyone ahve any info on this?

Choose only out of the cayenne and RR.
The next gen Q7 is coming in 2013 end and I feel is totally worth it as itll borrow interiors from the A8. The current Q7 doesnt really feel premium on the inside and the dash design honestly looks dated. Also the new Q7 is likely to shed a lot of weight off.
Cayenne is overall a good car but has a 6-8month waiting period! I wonder how time will pass if I had to book one!
RR sport overall has the butch looks of an SUV has the ability of 'going anywhere, doing anything'. The new facelift wont be a major design change only cosmetic change and minor design like new bumpers etc.
Why wait for a change? Facelifts come every 2-3 years. And hey, how many RR's people spot anyways?

DONT WAIT. IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING, BUY IT

Last edited by Y@SH : 25th January 2012 at 18:59.
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 19:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Choose only out of the cayenne and RR.
The next gen Q7 is coming in 2013 end and I feel is totally worth it as itll borrow interiors from the A8. The current Q7 doesnt really feel premium on the inside and the dash design honestly looks dated. Also the new Q7 is likely to shed a lot of weight off.
Cayenne is overall a good car but has a 6-8month waiting period! I wonder how time will pass if I had to book one!
RR sport overall has the butch looks of an SUV has the ability of 'going anywhere, doing anything'. The new facelift wont be a major design change only cosmetic change and minor design like new bumpers etc.
Why wait for a change? Facelifts come every 2-3 years. And hey, how many RR's people spot anyways?

DONT WAIT. IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING, BUY IT
I seem to agree. However won't the new RR be a massive changeover from the current one?
Old 25th January 2012, 19:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I seem to agree. However won't the new RR be a massive changeover from the current one?
As far as I know the new RR wont be a massive change over from the current one. Even if you go over some of the spy shots, the overall design will remain boxy, everyone loves the boxiness of the RR. Dont expect something major like you saw in the Previous gen Cayenne to current one. As I dont want to completely persuade you to go with the RR, I have combined data from various sources and this is what what we know is going to be different than the current one.

1) There will be a new aluminum chassis that was developed with the assistance of Jaguar. With the new chassis it will shed of 400kgs
2) Roofline is considerably lower as well. This should result in lower drag and a smaller overall look.
3) Will be roomier than the current version, especially at the rear bench.

The New Land Rover Range Rover will be showcased at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show next March or possibly at the New York Auto Show in April.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 21:08   #10
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Have you considered Discovery 4?
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 01:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Have you considered Discovery 4?
Very able off-reader but the back is terrible. Wifey can't stand the looks of it.
Old 27th January 2012, 14:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

So cayenne it is or still contemplating ?
Old 27th January 2012, 14:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Though in terms of physical size, the cayenne would be the most compact (never in my wildest dreams had i imagined i would term the cayenne as 'compact'). The RR sport would be a tad bigger followed by the Q7 which reminds us of the mammoth , a long extinct species. LOL
Actually the Cayenne is a couple of inches longer than RR sport. And it has a lot more interior space. However the standard one color beige interior is dull and boring.

I am in the same dilemma. But i am also looking into the mix of sedans and suvs. I am deciding among cayenne , RR sport and the 640d gran coupe(not sure when it would make it to india) and since yesterday, M 550d x .I'd almost made up my mind on cayenne but than bmw came up with this big news and i am back to where i started. Its becoming more and more interesting. My mind was boggled looking at the 0-60 times and the fuel consumption.

In germany the pricing of M550dx is about 22k euros less than the 102k costing M5. Now M5 was launched at 97lcs, so it would be safe to assume the price point between 75-80. Boy! am i excited.

Last edited by Mike89 : 27th January 2012 at 14:47.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 14:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post

I am in the same dilemma. But i am also looking into the mix of sedans and suvs. I am deciding among cayenne , RR sport and the 640d gran coupe(not sure when it would make it to india) and since yesterday, M 550d x .I'd almost made up my mind on cayenne but than bmw came up with this big news and i am back to where i started. Its becoming more and more interesting. My mind was boggled looking at the 0-60 times and the fuel consumption.

In germany the pricing of M550dx is about 22k euros less than the 102k costing M5. Now M5 was launched at 97lcs, so it would be safe to assume the price point between 75-80. Boy! am i excited.

It will be a great car no doubt. A perfect substitute to the M5 in India. But be prepared to wait it out. There's time for it to come here
Old 27th January 2012, 15:03   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I appears that Offroading is really not the intent. Yep the possibility of new Q7 & RR within the next 2 years at most do make the purchasing ones which are still the best of the 3 options seem like a bad option.

Why not the X6?

You want something with great presence on Road - X6 ticks this box.
A vehicle for Wife and kids and occational outstation trips does not seem to indicate the requirement for more than 5 seats - unless you plan to take a driver.

Also why not the Merc GL?

Somehow considering this is India getting support for Audi, Merc & BMW should be easier if something does go wrong.

The Cayenne seems the best bet from the 3 original options selected by you as it is the newest. Am sure some corrections to the tyre sizes can make it comfortable enough in terms of the ride as well.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote