Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 23:35   #16
BHPian
 
nanu28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 235
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Also guys,
please read I need a bad-roader, and good 4x4 and not a soft roader, so no Yeti, CRV or any crossovers.
nanu28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 23:46   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,710
Thanked: 8,930 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

^^ Chassis based SUVs is what you should be looking for then. Fortuner, Endeavour and Pajero are your only options as of now, pick your compromise.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 23:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,973
Thanked: 11,919 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Option 1:

Keep the Octavia 1.8. Buy a new Mahindra Thar for your offroading activities (or as they call it nowadays - lifestyle activities).

Although I wonder if it makes sense to keep 2 cars when you will be working from home from now on.

Option 2:

Sell the Octavia 1.8 and buy an used GV. If every time you see the car, you feel like owning one - then you should own one.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 23:56   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Oh, in that case, a used Ford Endeavour or a Toyota Fortuner should do just fine. At this point, I must tell you that despite the GV's immense capabilities, it still isn't a fully-blown off-road car. It's a soft-roader/crossover too. And so is the XUV-5OO.

But I must warn you, the Endy doesn't ride very well and isn't very comfortable. And unless you're doing serious off-roading, I would still recommend a Yeti. It's more than capable on bad-roads and is a great all-round package.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 00:15   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,383
Thanked: 14,304 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Also guys,
please read I need a bad-roader, and good 4x4 and not a soft roader, so no Yeti, CRV or any crossovers.
And Grand Vitara is a perfect badroader. It can take lots of abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Chassis based SUVs is what you should be looking for then. Fortuner, Endeavour and Pajero are your only options as of now, pick your compromise.
How does this eliminate GV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oh, in that case, a used Ford Endeavour or a Toyota Fortuner should do just fine. At this point, I must tell you that despite the GV's immense capabilities, it still isn't a fully-blown off-road car. It's a soft-roader/crossover too. And so is the XUV-5OO.
Sorry, I disagree. None of these are fully-blown off-road vehicles. And XUV-5OO is not in same league as the other three.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 00:16   #21
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

The Maruti Grand Vitara is a great vehicle - it has the looks, it has the 4x4 ability, but if you think about bang-for-the-buck, you get more in a Toyota Fortuner. For long trips, you need more luggage space, and the Toyota Fortuner can give you that additional space and a diesel engine to help cut back on fuel costs. Apart from that, the 20 L price tag on the Grand Vitara for being a CBU would make you think twice - if it were not a CBU, it would have been much cheaper. Of course, that does make the Grand Vitara more exclusive so you wouldn't see too many of them around you.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 00:21   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Sorry, I disagree. None of these are fully-blown off-road vehicles. And XUV-5OO is not in same league as the other three.
Did not imply that the Endy and the Fortuner were proper off-roaders, Sam. I'm aware of the fact that they're SUVs built on truck-platforms. Sorry if it came across like that. He did not want a soft-roader so..

I fail to understand though, why the OP has shortlisted a GV and meanwhile, struck-out the Yeti because it is a soft-roader. So what is the GV then?

Quote:
please read I need a bad-roader, and good 4x4 and not a soft roader, so no Yeti, CRV or any crossovers.
And what exactly is a bad-roader? A SUV that can handle bad roads? I'm sure most SUVs can. In fact, all SUVs can handle bad roads, because that's what they're meant to do. Crossovers/soft-roaders where conceptualized primarily for this purpose. To handle bad roads and not off-road courses.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th February 2012 at 00:25.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 01:18   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,383
Thanked: 14,304 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Did not imply that the Endy and the Fortuner were proper off-roaders, Sam. I'm aware of the fact that they're SUVs built on truck-platforms. Sorry if it came across like that. He did not want a soft-roader so..

I fail to understand though, why the OP has shortlisted a GV and meanwhile, struck-out the Yeti because it is a soft-roader. So what is the GV then?
That is because you are not considering certain details.

GV has low ratio like any moderate offroader like Fortuner or Endy. Yeti/CR-V/Outlander/Tucson doesn't. That is the most important feature that separates offroader from a softroader. Softroaders don't have low-ratio, GV has it.

Do you think a softroader can do this?

Or this? I could have never climbed it back without low-ratio.



Unlike Fortuner/Endy, GV has ladder-boxed chassis integrated into a unibody construction, giving it best of both worlds. That is why it can handle severe abuse like any body-on-frame SUV, while providing unibody type ride comfort.


Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
And what exactly is a bad-roader? A SUV that can handle bad roads? I'm sure most SUVs can. In fact, all SUVs can handle bad roads, because that's what they're meant to do. Crossovers/soft-roaders where conceptualized primarily for this purpose. To handle bad roads and not off-road courses.
Badroader is a vehicle that can glide over bad roads without breaking either the vehicle or people inside it. In many SUVs, a drive over bad road can toss and turn the passengers like washing machine, usually happens in body-on-frame SUVs. And the vehicle itself can start having suspension problems pretty soon.

Member GRV, needed first part change for his GV at 52,000kms. And it was the tyres, for he only drove on good roads. Meanwhile in my GV, the same tyres were gone by 17,000 kms. That should give you some idea about the roads I travel. Despite hard driving on horrible roads, the first time I needed part (tie-rods) change was after nearly 3 years and 25,000kms. A year later I changed the lower-arms too at 35,000kms. Both changes were due to bushes that went bust, but bush alone can't be replaced.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 01:38   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: From Skoda 1.8Tpi to a Grand Vitara...or some other? Please advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post

Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale

From the above link you can see there are a few 2.4L GV's for less than 10 lakhs, some for as low as 8 lakhs. The good news for someone looking at a petrol SUV is that its a buyers market if you can find one. Be prepared to travel all over india to find one in good condition, and bargain hard! Remember ours is a mileage obsessed country, so there are great deals to be had for low mileage giving petrol vehicles. Good luck in your quest!
You can see some of them belong to 2007. 2.4L GV is is only introduced couple of years back.

Last edited by Guna : 17th February 2012 at 01:40.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:42   #25
BHPian
 
Abhinav667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rishikesh
Posts: 74
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

nanu28, Personally I love the Grand Vitara and would never say no to one, however looking at the current petrol prices, its probably the most impractical buy ever. Since you already own a Skoda, why not look at the Skoda Yeti? It drives well on a highway, is well equipped, is a decent off-roader,and despite being a diesel performs like a petrol! That way, you still get to keep a Skoda! Still get an off-roader! And your dad gets a diesel SUV too!

For the XUV, do you really want a Mahindra when you can afford something much better! If you really want a seven-seater, the Hyundai Santa Fe isn't bad either. But my still goes for the Yeti!
Abhinav667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 08:34   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,383
Thanked: 14,304 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Yeti/XUV are not offroaders, there is no low-ratio.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:01   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

The GV is quite the surprise package then.

A soft-roader with a proper low-ratio. That's what separates the GV from the other soft-roaders. I was aware of the GV's low-ratio and it's capabilities, but did not consider the importance of a low-ratio considering that it's just a crossover. It is, isn't it? Just with some special abilities.

What makes it even more phenomenal is it's chassis-construction.

Sam, is the GV comfortable over bad roads? Does it get wallowy and does it throw you around?

Anyway, to the OP. He could consider a used Pajero. But as I see it, a used GV would be his best bet.

EDIT: I believe the OP is a bit confused. While he wants a proper off-road vehicle and not a crossover, he has considered the XUV, which isn't really an off-roader.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th February 2012 at 09:07.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:13   #28
BHPian
 
nanu28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 235
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The GV is quite the surprise package then.

A soft-roader with a proper low-ratio. That's what separates the GV from the other soft-roaders. I was aware of the GV's low-ratio and it's capabilities, but did not consider the importance of a low-ratio considering that it's just a crossover. It is, isn't it? Just with some special abilities.

What makes it even more phenomenal is it's chassis-construction.

Sam, is the GV comfortable over bad roads? Does it get wallowy and does it throw you around?

Anyway, to the OP. He could consider a used Pajero. But as I see it, a used GV would be his best bet.

EDIT: I believe the OP is a bit confused. While he wants a proper off-road vehicle and not a crossover, he has considered the XUV, which isn't really an off-roader.
I am yet to check out the XUV but if it aint got no Low Ratio, it is also out of the picture.

I have been in a Pajero enough times, I just hope that the GV is more comfortable that the Pajero. I can for sure say that the Innova is way more comfortable than the Pajero on any road, but ofcourse the Innova is meant to be more comfortable.

I am sure the GV too has body roll, because of stiuffer suspension but how much and; how the handling is only Sam can tell.
I can't TD it today as Pune is closed for elections today, so thats tomorrow now.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by nanu28 : 17th February 2012 at 09:14.
nanu28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:30   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,383
Thanked: 14,304 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A soft-roader with a proper low-ratio. That's what separates the GV from the other soft-roaders. I was aware of the GV's low-ratio and it's capabilities, but did not consider the importance of a low-ratio considering that it's just a crossover. It is, isn't it? Just with some special abilities.
I don't understand why you keep saying softroader. What is your definition of softroader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Sam, is the GV comfortable over bad roads? Does it get wallowy and does it throw you around?
Yes, it is comfortable on bad roads, or else I could never do what I do with it. It doesn't throw around on bad roads unlike it's pure body-on-frame cousins. That is why I started using the word badroader many years back. But the rear seat may not be as comfortable as front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
I am sure the GV too has body roll, because of stiuffer suspension but how much and; how the handling is only Sam can tell.
It has CR-V/Tucson/Yeti like handling on road.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:37   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't understand why you keep saying softroader. What is your definition of softroader?
My bad. I've always considered the GV as a soft-roader/crossover because it isn't a true-blue off-roader. Or is it?

How does one define a soft-roader? Something that's small, light, lacks some off-road centric features and is predominantly meant for city-driving and the occasional bad road. NOT for serious off-road trails. I always thought the GV fell under this category. But the presence of a low-ratio, and the uni-body chassis construction set it apart from the regular crossovers. And that's what made it special.

EDIT: Also, since it had the ability to handle like a sedan (nearly) Generally cross-overs are built to be decent handlers and true-blue off-road cars aren't. With a few exceptions of course.

This is my perception of the GV.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th February 2012 at 09:45.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Octavia RS 1.8 TPi Gearbox gone kaput @ 60,000 Kms!! nanu28 Technical Stuff 34 22nd March 2011 12:08
Stage Two Mods on my Skoda 1.8 TPi shuvd Modifications & Accessories 228 26th June 2010 20:27
Skoda TPI & vRS whats the TCS button? nanu28 Technical Stuff 29 17th October 2008 15:29
Hiquphon tweeters ow2 or something else. amangujral06 Gadgets, Computers & Software 9 6th June 2008 19:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks