Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 23rd February 2012, 09:31   #1

Default Tata Safari or Tata Aria? A Dilemma!

hi guys i just sold my safari just because it got old.. and looking to buy a suv/muv from same stable. i loved aria but havent seen it much on roads and wonder why its not selling like it should. after considering everything i think safari can take the beating and survive much then aria as roads here in UP are off roading in itself. love safari's ground clearance though aria is technologically advanced ..

main issue is of seating.. where aria offers a7 seats though it does not have leg room on last seat but its comfortable and safari back seats are horrible cant i get a custom back seat made for safari that would solve my purpose?

also it will be going on long ride through out India..

what should it be either safari top model 4x2(or 4x4) or aria pleasure?

thanks

Note from Mod : Please use proper capitalization + punctuation. Do see THIS THREAD (Expected Posting Etiquette) before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2012 at 21:01. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
rahulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: tata safari or tata aria? in dilemma!!

Rahul,

Dont know if this is helpful, and may be OT, but while driving to work this morning< i saw a gleaming Black Aria alongside a Silver Fortuner and what struck me is that teh Aria's road preseence is simply mindblowing.

As regards Aria Vs Safari, the Storme is basically an Aria in disguise so it boils down to personal likes. Even with all the rows of seating, the Aria has fairly decent luggage space.

IMHO, the Aria is a better bet than the Safari......I have been a Safari owner in the past as well, but having experienced the Aria, I feel that it is a cut above the Safari.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:55   #3
BHPian

Post Re: tata safari or tata aria? in dilemma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulzzz View Post
hi guys i just sold my safari just because it got old.. and looking to buy a suv/muv from same stable.

also it will be going on long ride through out India..

what should it be either safari top model 4x2(or 4x4) or aria pleasure?

thanks
Rahul, you have already owned a Safari and you know it inside out. The new Safari just got better...

With a price difference between the two (Aria is expensive) and the fact that Aria is longer and more family like, I feel Safari is a better choice for your kind of usage mentioned above.

If you are looking for wholesome experience in terms of comfort, family usage and not concerned about budget, then Aria might be a choice, with the understanding that you are not interested in considering the bulls from Mahindra and other stables.

Thanks,
C_ (p 50... 23-2-12)

Last edited by Coolman : 23rd February 2012 at 11:58. Reason: Added a note for my reference
Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Rahul,

Dont know if this is helpful, and may be OT, but while driving to work this morning< i saw a gleaming Black Aria alongside a Silver Fortuner and what struck me is that teh Aria's road preseence is simply mindblowing.

As regards Aria Vs Safari, the Storme is basically an Aria in disguise so it boils down to personal likes. Even with all the rows of seating, the Aria has fairly decent luggage space.

IMHO, the Aria is a better bet than the Safari......I have been a Safari owner in the past as well, but having experienced the Aria, I feel that it is a cut above the Safari.
Even i think should go in for Aria..i wish it had more ground clearance. it does have decent luggage space but that cramped up the leg room. how is the suspension? dont want a bumpy ride..

strome has some good changes but the back tire mount removal took the macho look away and back does look a bit like qualis with is a total no..no
though storm jungle is way too good but no clue if its rolling out soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
Rahul, you have already owned a Safari and you know it inside out. The new Safari just got better...

With a price difference between the two (Aria is expensive) and the fact that Aria is longer and more family like, I feel Safari is a better choice for your kind of usage mentioned above.

If you are looking for wholesome experience in terms of comfort, family usage and not concerned about budget, then Aria might be a choice, with the understanding that you are not interested in considering the bulls from Mahindra and other stables.

Thanks,
C_ (p 50... 23-2-12)
definitely there is quite a price difference between the two but aria is offering luxury features and thats what making me drift towards aria.

bulls from other stable is xuv 500 .. lot of waiting period..they created a hype and now there are way too many xuv's spotted around that makes it way too common for me..

also will 4wd matter in aria?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th February 2012 at 01:21. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why not wait for the Merlin Launch and take a look at it before taking the plunge. Safari and Aria both are wonderful and similarly capable cars, but to me Safari looks better then the Van type look of the Aria.

If you don't think you can wait for sometime then i would prefer the Aria , as the interiors are well put together as compared to the Safari.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Why not wait for the Merlin Launch and take a look at it before taking the plunge. Safari and Aria both are wonderful and similarly capable cars, but to me Safari looks better then the Van type look of the Aria.

If you don't think you can wait for sometime then i would prefer the Aria , as the interiors are well put together as compared to the Safari.
i really dont like merlins back soo dont have many options either as i want the delivery within a week
so guess aria is the one.

please list out negative points of aria if any known? that would help .

thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i really dont like merlins back soo dont have many options either as i want the delivery within a week
so guess aria is the one.

please list out negative points of aria if any known? that would help .

thanks
There are 2-3 threads active on the forum on Aria. I can immediately remember one from member ACM and other from zappex. Maybe you can check those out for inputs if not already done.

zappex i believe has had a bad experience with Aria.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:23   #8
BHPian

Go for the Aria. Tata is giving a lot of discounts on the aria so it won't bee too heavy on the pocket [comparatively]. Also, if you are not going to take it out of town and onto non-existent roads, there is no need to go for the 4X4. A 4X2 will do just as well in the city and on the highway. Go for the Aria prestige 4X2.
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:27   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari or Tata Aria? A Dilemma!!

The one advantage of the Safari over the Aria is that the A.S.S has had a lot of experience in servicing it (new model is just update of older one) whereas most T.A.S.S's seem to struggle to service the Aria, going by the threads on TBHP.

4x2 vs. 4x4 depends on your needs. If you don't need it, stick with the 4x2 as it is cheaper and lighter (better FE).

The Aria has better gizmos but there seem to be a lot of teething issues with them. If you need to buy a vehicle now, the safari makes more sense. A year or two down the line, the Aria would make more sense (provided the cost was affordable).
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i really dont like merlins back, please list out negative points of aria if any known? that would help .
Well, i would not make decisions solely based on pictures, as sometimes the pictures dont really say the whole story.

I test drove Aria 4x4 version, when it was launched, and at least the one that i tried felt really sluggish and difficult to maneuver, and especially take U turns. Internal quality was best among Tata lineup. Did not tried the rest of the features of Aria as Wifey also disliked its sluggish drive. Now these are only my opinions, and it may well be there was some problem with that specific car, as others later mentioned that driving it is not so sluggish.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would say Aria is also equally competent vehicle than Safari. I would have gone for Aria as It seems you are OK with increased budget requirements. Though I drive a Safari.

Regarding ground clearance I feel Aria has sufficient ground clearance for India to drive. Remember there must be lots of Innova there in UP as well. Invest your money on new product rather than old product. You will find lots of bells and whistles in Aria which are missing in Safari.

Regarding back seat modification, you can do it but it will be still not sufficient for grown up adults. Only kids can use due to reduced head room at back in Safari.

One more option I would give to you why don't you wait for Safari Storme?

Last edited by anujmishra : 23rd February 2012 at 18:37.
anujmishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:53   #12
BHPian

I ruled it in favor of Safari in Dec 11. I had test driven Aria as well.

My criteria was big boot space and I didn't want big third row seats. Besides I was least interested in the gizmos, particularly with a price tag.

I do not know how many would agree, though after TDing both I was more comfortable driving a Safari. Can't sepll out exactly why.

In looks department, too, Safari scored more for us. Aria's look reminds of Innova which wasn't so liked by us.

However having been a Safari owner, you might just want to change the vehicle, for sake of change. I am not sure whether I'd buy same vehicle twice though I have seen many people doing that.

Following factors changed since our purchase which you might want to factor in:

- Aria being offered a lot more discount
- Storme being close to launch
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 13:05   #13

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2012 at 15:50.
rahulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th February 2012, 15:34   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari or Tata Aria? A Dilemma!

Between the current Safari and the Aria it should be a no contest and the Aria walks away the winner, the Ground Clearance to is not too different between the two though for serious off roading the Safari is a better bet.

If it were the storm and the Aria that you were comparing then both being modern platforms you may have to think about which is better for your requirement but the Aria is much more spacious, more modern, better built and more tecnologically advanced compared to the Safari. Go for the Aria, with the present discounts it makes a superb deal.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 16:15   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari or Tata Aria? A Dilemma!

The new Storme maybe be a much improved version but its still a dated. Its not a completely new generation model. The Aria is amazing in every respect and if your're wondering why it did not sell well is the cost. You get a lot of features in the higher models usually not present in the competition. The Aria is a more thorough bred car and feels luxurious. As Himanshu mentioned, the road presence is great, you just can't go wrong with it. There are great discounts and you can haggle for a good deal.
Leistung is offline   Reply With Quote