Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which should I go for from the options below
Brand new Scorpio VLX 4WD 53 19.13%
2-3 year old Pajero SFX run 40k Kms 124 44.77%
None, if the ownership intent is very long term, wait and buy a new Fortuner. 100 36.10%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 18:17   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Engine: The pajero 2.8 doesn't hold a candle to the 2.2 mhawk with tuning chip. mhawk is the engine you want if you want to put pedal to metal. Overtaking is a breeze with the mhawk. The pajero 2.8 in BSIV guise makes 108 bhp/28 kgm Torque. It is barely enough to keep the vehicle going and you need to be above 2000 rpm to feel the power. The overall short gearing compensates to some extend but this results in engine rpm getting uncomfortably high as you cross three digit speeds resulting in single digit fuel efficiency figures. Overtaking also requires lot of planning as you need a good amount of time to over take a fast moving bus or lorry in a narrow stretch of road.
You echo my sentiments here completely which is why, after 3 TDs of new and used vehicles, I have decided not to go for the Pajero. It is underpowered for 90% of my usage conditions which is all kinds of roads.

When I could feel it wanting when compared to the 118BHP Hariya, I can very well imagine your feelings pretty well.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th April 2012, 09:48   #122
Senior - BHPian

So the decision is out

Dev is it going to be a "4x4Scorpio"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You echo my sentiments here completely which is why, after 3 TDs of new and used vehicles, I have decided not to go for the Pajero. It is underpowered for 90% of my usage conditions which is all kinds of roads.

When I could feel it wanting when compared to the 118BHP Hariya, I can very well imagine your feelings pretty well.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 11:49   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
So the decision is out

Dev is it going to be a "4x4Scorpio"?
I wish the decision was out Lohith, seriously. But unfortunately, Scorpio 4WD owners like 4x4 addict etc have posted very detailed reasons for NOT finalising on it since I already own a Scorpio.

If I was ok with the LX 4X4, I d have booked it by now but what I m looking for is a vehicle that has a little more safety features in terms of ABS, airbags, and of course, better off road capability than the Scorpio/Safari 4WD.

So, for the moment, I have decided to fit the MLD on Hariya which I have received and stay put, till I have the funds to go for something other than the Scorpio and the Pajero.

This segment is devoid of VFM choices, completely.
Old 12th May 2012, 12:41   #124
Senior - BHPian

As my search for a good pre owned Fortuner continues, I came across this May 2010 vehicle done around 40k kms being quoted for 18.5 lacs. It is a Blore vehicle and its insurance has lapsed since the owner has not been using it (so he says).
The owner says he is upgrading to a Prado and hence selling this.

Is the quoted price worth giving it a second look?
Old 12th May 2012, 17:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As my search for a good pre owned Fortuner continues, I came across this May 2010 vehicle done around 40k kms being quoted for 18.5 lacs. It is a Blore vehicle and its insurance has lapsed since the owner has not been using it (so he says).

what is the OTR price of the fortuner in Blore ?

Can it be dragged to 17 ish, you can say this is the old model and doesnt have VSC and other stuff to bring the price down.

I believe the fortuner can be maintained much easily, compared to a pajero, in terms of availability of spares, few years down the line, as you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time

Last edited by F150 : 12th May 2012 at 17:33.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 18:29   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

Can it be dragged to 17 ish, you can say this is the old model and doesnt have VSC and other stuff to bring the price down.
Carwale tells me it is 24.6lac OTR Blore.

I was thinking of bargaining for 15.5 since I m somehow finding it hard to splurge more than that on a pre-owned vehicle. Anything more than a new XUV AWD (just an example) is some how hard to digest.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was thinking of bargaining for 15.5 since I m somehow finding it hard to splurge more than that on a pre-owned vehicle. Anything more than a new XUV AWD (just an example) is some how hard to digest.
10 L hit on a 2 yrs old toyota sounds a little tough, may be 40K kms on the odo might help.
If the owner is moving out of India and is in a hurry to sell the vehicle its a different case all together.

Lets see what others have to say.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 18:39   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10 L hit on a 2 yrs old toyota sounds a little tough, may be 40K kms on the odo might help.
Lets see what others have to say.
Not a 10l hit, he d have paid around 23l at the time of purchase. There is a newer model in the showrooms now and 40k kms on the odo in 2 yrs is quite some distance, for someone who lives in a city like Blore, on a Fortuner but yes, like you said, let us wait for others opinions too.
Old 12th May 2012, 21:40   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This segment is devoid of VFM choices, completely.
Absolutely right mate. I chose Scorpio due to lack of better choice in the price range. I am hoping that Safari will position the Safari Storme as VFM product.

Quote:

Seems strange that a guy who can own a fortuner will let insurance lapse. Check out his story. My cousin brought a 2012 Fortuner 4WD before the excise duty increase and paid 26.2 lakhs on the road in Bangalore. After increase it will be about 27 lakhs in in Bangalore. Assuming the vehicle is good and seller is genuine, I think he is asking for a fair price. In chennai, I cannot find any Fortuner less than 18 Lakhs.

Quote:
27 Lakhs for 4WD Variant.

Quote:
I believe the fortuner can be maintained much easily, compared to a pajero, in terms of availability of spares, few years down the line, as you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time
Very True. This vehicle is expensive to buy, but cheap to own and run and you will get decent resale value when you upgrade.

Quote:
These websites are rarely accurate.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 01:25   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems strange that a guy who can own a fortuner will let insurance lapse. Check out his story. My cousin brought a 2012 Fortuner 4WD before the excise duty increase and paid 26.2 lakhs on the road in Bangalore. After increase it will be about 27 lakhs in in Bangalore. Assuming the vehicle is good and seller is genuine, I think he is asking for a fair price. In chennai, I cannot find any Fortuner less than 18 Lakhs.
Which is my sole doubt and I will double check on the vehicle's history and its previous insurance records to see if something smells fishy.

Secondly, the Toyota website quotes the price of the new Fortuner as INR 22,11,886.00 which should translate to an overall price of around 25 lac for a new vehicle.

This person would have paid around 23 lac when he purchased it.

I will inspect this on Monday and update you guys about my findings. However, do you think paying 18 lacs for a pre owned vehicle is worth it?
Old 14th May 2012, 11:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
27 Lakhs for 4WD Variant.
You were right, someone from Toyota called me today and I asked them the OTR price of the Fortuner manual 4wd in Blore and was given a quote of 27.xx lacs OTR.

I do not think it worth a dime more than 20 lac OTR at most, Bangalore or not. I will keep my hunt on for a pre owned one in the range of 15 lacs.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:18   #132
Senior - BHPian

Dev, 27lacs is ahuge number
meanwhile you think 15lacs is a realistic number for a good/used fortuner?
whats the used market price in mumbai, Delhi? i think you will have a better chance of find one there...

Quote:
and was given a quote of 27.xx lacs OTR.

lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Dev, 27lacs is ahuge number
meanwhile you think 15lacs is a realistic number for a good/used fortuner?
whats the used market price in mumbai, Delhi? i think you will have a better chance of find one there...
I feel that 15 lacs for a 2 year old 40k km run single owner well maintained vehicle is a good deal and good deals are always tough to find, but I m in no hurry.

I do not know Bombay vehicles a lot but yes, I have tickled my contacts in Delhi to find me a good example when they see one.
Old 14th May 2012, 22:08   #134
BHPian

Hi Devdath,

I currently face somewhat the same dilemma. I am exactly a month away from my Leh trip. I just sold a year and a half old Safari (2WD). Anyway, Just yesterday I test-drove 2 Pajero's, 1 Montero, 1 Endy, 1 Captiva. Phew! I spent more than half my Sunday doing this, albeit with tons of enthusiasm. The Endy and Captiva were ruled out as both had crossed the 100,00 odo mark. The Montero was a black coloured 2003 vehicle. The odo read apprx. 60,000 kms odd. The vehicle was ill-maintained. While it appealed from far sheerly cos of its size and the badge it wore, after stepping inside I soon found out that the carpet was losing colour. It looked like the vehicle had probably suffered from some water-logging. Also, all the exterior panels were re-painted and was a shoddy job performed. Next test-driven was the 2007 Pajero. This was dual-tone blue-silver one. There were visible dents on the doors, slightly faded colour. The interiors were ok. The odo read 80,000 kms odd. This one had a sun-moon roof and the music system was worth more than a lac. The ride was very bad. The middle row seats rattled and it felt like a hundred rattle snakes were occupying the middle row. This one didn't appeal much to me either. Then came the 2008 Pajero (bull-dog shaped is what the dealer termed it as) The one which has flared arches. It was a dual-tone, a limestone and silver. Now this one caught my fancy as the exteriors were immaculately clean, though I could make out a couple of panel were re-painted but a good job done of matching and finishing with the original paint. The interiors felt fresh and welcoming. Leather felt and smelled nice and clean. The odo read approx. 40,000 kms odd. The ride was very smooth too. All in all, this one gave me the rush and the 'feel good factor' within. The owner is quoting 13.5 and since I have my heart set on this mean-machine, I called the dealer again today to make my offer. I made an offer of 11 lacs and the dealer tells me that he has an offer just today, which stand at 12 lacs. I just do not know what to do. After reading the various posts here, now its got me thinking if going in for the Pajero is a wise thing to do - or not! I need to make a decision before this month ends as I want to use this vehicle for atleast 10 days before my final date of travel, which is - 15th June. So what do I do?
Gentle Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 22:59   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
After reading the various posts here, now its got me thinking if going in for the Pajero is a wise thing to do - or not! I need to make a decision before this month ends as I want to use this vehicle for atleast 10 days before my final date of travel, which is - 15th June. So what do I do?
I will not and do not recommend buying a Pajero for 2 reasons. 1. It is underpowered for the highways on the kind of speeds that we d need most of the time and,
2. Its FE of around 9 kmpl overall doesn't appeal to me.

Also, its spares, while possible to procure, are expensive and with the passage of time, will only become difficult.

I will either buy a Fortuner (Pre owned), a new XUV AWD or be happy with my MLD fitted Scorpio. The Laura was on the cards but a new DSG failure today of an April 2012 model has put me on the backfoot.

I have a contact at the Auto Pacifica who deals in used Pajeros and it is possible to get a pre owned Pajero for around 14 lacs. Let me know if you want the number. I still do NOT recommend the Pajero.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote