Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you prefer?
Ertiga 141 32.94%
Innova 226 52.80%
Xylo 73 17.06%
Others please specify 14 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th August 2012, 18:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

Maximum speed for innova is a measly 110 kms/hr and beyond that it starts grunting, huffing & puffing making a lot of noise and racket. So basically you are paying for something with this limitation.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 20:09   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Maximum speed for innova is a measly 110 kms/hr and beyond that it starts grunting, huffing & puffing making a lot of noise and racket. So basically you are paying for something with this limitation.
How many times can you realistically cruise at speeds of 110 kmph and more without being a danger to yourself and others, given the typical road conditions we face here in India?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 20:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Care to enlighten on what basis? Is this a fact from experience or hearsay?

Noise above 120kph is well known fact but does not pose any limitation. The max speed that I have achieved in Innova in 2009 version is 165 without any worry.

P.S.: I am no die hard fan of Innova but feel that the facts be stated properly with base for any vehicle for that matter. This is where motorheads are discussing genuinely the various aspects to understand facts about vehicles and these act as help to many prospective customers of respective vehicles.

Last edited by parsh : 4th August 2012 at 20:26.
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 08:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

I agree about the top speed of the Innova. Atleast here, we do have roads where we can go at speeds of 110 kmph or above safely - the mumbai pune express highway.

Till about 100 kmph, the Innova is very good. Climb to 110, it is fine. Accelerate to 120 kmph, it shows a little protest. At 130, it becomes noisy and strained. Anything more than than, the engine feels like we are pulling it's lungs out.

I dont know whether it goes till 165 kmph but then I managed to take it till 150 and then I had to let go as the engine noise became unbearable.

Initially I thought there is something wrong with my vehicle but then I tried 2 different Innovas and it's the same. To be honest, even my humble 1.3 Punto fares better on the highways.

In my opinion, Innova is not a highway car... a "real" highway car. As long as the speeds are between 80-110 kmph, you are good.

Also, regarding the ground clearance, even I am surprised but my Innova does scrape a lot of times, that too in normal pot holed Mumbai roads. I have even scraped the car with just me on board. With 4-5 people in the car, it is more difficult. Of course, its a lot better than sedans, but for an MUV having 176 mm of GC, I am very much surprised as I can drive an SX4 pretty comfortable over the same roads...

For me, where the Innova scores is in the city on good or medium roads, because of it's excellent low end torque.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 5th August 2012 at 09:00.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 10:18   #95
Senior - BHPian

IMO it is a very real capable highway car, capable of consistent speeds upto 130-140kph for very long durations all day long as long as road and traffic permit it and overtaking without shifting gears unless restricted by heavy traffic. 165 achievement has been only on Mumbai-Pune Epxressway for a short stretch of straight drive but I wouldnt have kept at it even for a long duration as it was only to see how far it can stretch only after seeing empty long stretch. Noise does start to creep in dominantly above 120 (and even above 80 for the first gen Innovas) but the engine seamlessly climbs above 120 without much effort and goes upto 140 (mine being 2005 version). As per my observation it only gasps for breath after 140+ and feels stressed and hard to climb upto 150 and to 160. 165 has been rare achievement in these years just a couple of times in our other 2009 Innova. In fact I have seen the 2009 version not showing even the fatigue upto 150 as my 2005 one shows. The only other cars in this range capable of featuring better on these aspects would be XUV500 (have ripped it on highway to this tune) and Aria (only guessing) IMO.

Edit: Added to that the cornering capability of Innova even at high speeds (3 digit) is superior to any in its domain.
But still I am no advocate of Innova and others may have experienced differently in their respective cars.

Last edited by parsh : 5th August 2012 at 10:25.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 16:04   #96
BHPian

We can discuss why the innova 's motor feels strained at speeds in excess of 110kmph. i dont think its made to do those speeds on our roads where the best of freeways have a speed limit of 80kmph.
important thing would be to consider if it feels safe at those speeds ( which i suspect it would as against the xylo / ertiga's of this world).
about its low GC, xylo's high gc is what has screwed up its dynamics. and ertiga's high gc would not account for much IMHO as its supension setup felt weak and would scrape it belly under load. ( at the same places where the innova's are grounding.
xylo doesnt ground or rarely would bottom. but it lurches around like a drunkard on bad broken potholed roads. so no real advantage to speak of. apart from the fact that it doesnt exactly inspire confidence cornering.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 12:50   #97
BHPian

Can any of the Innova owners mention at what RPM it does a 100, 120, 130 and 140? And at fellow member parsh mentioned 165, what is the RPM? Thanks.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 12:55   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Can any of the Innova owners mention at what RPM it does a 100, 120, 130 and 140? And at fellow member parsh mentioned 165, what is the RPM? Thanks.
It is difficult to remember exactly at what rpm it did 165 quite sometime back although for a very short time, but it was near redlining. Will try get you other rpms asap I do the other speeds next time.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:44   #99
BHPian

The Innova anyday.

One of my closest friends has an Innova and it's clocked nearly 300,000 kms. And it is utterly reliable still!! More than enough reason to choose the Mighty Innova!!
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 16:10   #100
BHPian

I finally ended up booking Ertiga VDi, as I my leasing vendor didn't allow Innova VX 8 seater and I do not want 7-seater Innova (I need that middle bench). Now, the waiting time is quoted to be 2 to 3 months. There is still uncertainity about ZDi variant waiting time, so compromised and went ahead with VDi.
nistala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 18:27   #101
Senior - BHPian

Can Ertiga match to innova/Xylo interms of space and engine wise, am not sure how a fully loaded ertiga will behave in hilly condition...?

Innova is a class apart and when it comes to seating comfort Xylo would beat Ertiga hands down...

Just my 2 cents
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 16:11   #102
Senior - BHPian

With the evaluation process still going on by my BIL, there were some new ones that were tested such as the Duster. Liked it for the butch looks and build but then clearly it is not a people mover (read again from the start - 5 adults and 3 kids) hence dropped.

The other brand new kid on the block is of course the soon to be launched Mini Xylo, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...mini-xylo.html scoop from over very own TBHP.

It seems to have those two extra seats at the back, say bunk seats of the folding type. Wonder if this could accomodate the two kids for some time now (agreed in a cramped way of course and the third one the youngest with the adults). And yes its a diesel and expected at a mouthwatering price!

But still it seems practical to go for a real MUV. Just that the decision is still out at large one for the painfully low resale value of the 800 in the stable.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 23:35   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
IMO it is a very real capable highway car, capable of consistent speeds upto 130-140kph for very long durations all day long as long as road and traffic permit it and overtaking without shifting gears unless restricted by heavy traffic. 165 achievement has been only on Mumbai-Pune Epxressway for a short stretch of straight drive but I wouldnt have kept at it even for a long duration as it was only to see how far it can stretch only after seeing empty long stretch. Noise does start to creep in dominantly above 120 (and even above 80 for the first gen Innovas) but the engine seamlessly climbs above 120 without much effort and goes upto 140 (mine being 2005 version). As per my observation it only gasps for breath after 140+ and feels stressed and hard to climb upto 150 and to 160. 165 has been rare achievement in these years just a couple of times in our other 2009 Innova. In fact I have seen the 2009 version not showing even the fatigue upto 150 as my 2005 one shows. The only other cars in this range capable of featuring better on these aspects would be XUV500 (have ripped it on highway to this tune) and Aria (only guessing) IMO.

Edit: Added to that the cornering capability of Innova even at high speeds (3 digit) is superior to any in its domain.
But still I am no advocate of Innova and others may have experienced differently in their respective cars.
I agree that the later versions of Innova's seem to have superior response..wonder why. My friend who owns a 2005 model asked me if I have done some engine modifications in my 2009 model. The car will do 140 with ease and so long as one does not thrash it from start and allow the engine to warm up-will be reasonably silent in the cabin as well.

160 is the max I have seen in the car around 4350 rpm

Last edited by Buffetfan : 28th August 2012 at 23:37.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 00:40   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
May I ask on what basis - have you driven one? This is one of the best highway vehicles one can have. The diesel drone is there but not obstrusive at all..you wont develop a headche or even feel fatigued because of that.

One can do 130-140 all day long without fuss thanks to the relaxed driving position. There is very little road noise and the vehicle handles very very well at high speeds. No floaty feel, no drama and the steering gives you a very good feel of the road. The steering is even better than my Baleno at high speeds.

The engine seamlessly climbs above 120 without much effort and goes upto 140 easily. If the road is a bit uphill, it may struggle after that. 150+ is easy to come by and 160 requires effort.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 10:19   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I agree that the later versions of Innova's seem to have superior response..wonder why. My friend who owns a 2005 model asked me if I have done some engine modifications in my 2009 model. The car will do 140 with ease and so long as one does not thrash it from start and allow the engine to warm up-will be reasonably silent in the cabin as well.

160 is the max I have seen in the car around 4350 rpm
To All, this is not to promote high speeding but just to clarify the speed limitations and performance as expressed by members here. So, I hope this is taken in that spirit. In fact, most of times we do stick to designated speeds necessarily.

Buffetfan, there are definitely now 2 instances wherein I can confirm 165 achievement, I achieved it on Mumbai-Pune Expressway and my bro on Yamuna expressway on our 2009 Innova (not my 2005 one). But it redlines there and does not climb beyond that whatever you do. Since you have done 160, try pushing it a bit further on a completely open long straight stretch and you should be able to touch it and experience the same we did.

The same discussions happen between me and bro on what is different between both our Innova versions.

Last edited by parsh : 29th August 2012 at 10:21.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote