Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 7th April 2006, 19:30   #16
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
It seems that because there have been continuous modifications to the Safari, The later the model, the better. I think post 2004, there have not been major modifications to the Safari.

What kind of mileage do you think it will give in the city and highway?
2004 should be a Good Buy. But if you are going to Spend anything more than 6L+ i would suggest you to rethink on the economic's.

Also 2004 onwards the Safari's came with a 18 Month Extended warranty, You would be safe for another year or so.

Drinking Habits - I never look at it, But i would safely put it at average 8-9 in Bangalore City traffic, 12-13 Highway :-). btw i fill Shell Diesel.
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 19:40   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
Also 2004 onwards the Safari's came with a 18 Month Extended warranty, You would be safe for another year or so.
Please check the terms and conditions of the Extended Warranty carefully. To the best of my knowledge, the Extended Warranty is available only to the first owner of the vehicle.

What I have said above is mentioned in my Indica's Extended Warranty booklet. It may have changed and / or may be different for the Safari but please check it out.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 20:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Please check the terms and conditions of the Extended Warranty carefully. To the best of my knowledge, the Extended Warranty is available only to the first owner of the vehicle.

What I have said above is mentioned in my Indica's Extended Warranty booklet. It may have changed and / or may be different for the Safari but please check it out.
Depends on whether the extended warranty is offered by the manufacturer or is insurance-based. If its Insurance based it doesnt hold because the ext warranty is a contract between the original buyer and the insurance company.

One of our legal eagles could clarify....
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2006, 18:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
Techincally Modification to the New Look is possible. Considering the economics its your Call.

@ DirectInjection - The gearbox is the Same for Both DICOR & TCIC (old). G76-5/3.87. And the Marching Noise IS NOT ELIMINATED. Its reduced using Dual Synchro's from 2004 Onward's.

5 lac's for a Well Maintianed Safari 03 ex 4x4 is good value depending on
1. How well is it Mainained ?
2. Service Record
3. Condition of the Tyre's

Preferably Buy a Safari which has Mico / Bosch Injection. If you check the Fuel Filter you would know what FIP it has.
I haven't heard any marching sound from DICORs whereas I have heard it even in post 2004 non-DICOR Safaris. Hormazd Sorabji had also commented on the noise-free gearbox as a positive new thing in the DICOR, while reviewing the same in Autocar India.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 22:04   #20
BHPian

Is 4.2 L for a 2004 Safari LX 4X2 an OK deal?

I am inclined to take one that has come up for sale...

Gurus, please advice
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 11:41   #21
BHPian

Hi, I have two tata safari's. One the older 90 bhp, we've had it for nearly 6 years. The thing with the safari is it needs regular maintainence, sort of ironing out problems before they occur. Maintainence is cheap though, and we've never encountered serious running costs. The safari is heavy though and chews through tires very quickly, much more so than the sumo and others.

I get 8 in city Jabalpur, 11 on highways. The Dicor was bought in December only clueless about its average, since I've been home only once since.
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 14:54   #22
BHPian

Sorry I missed out. The new one is for 7.76 or thereabouts. I'm inclined to think its a good deal. Just one thing. How many miles has the vehicle covered. Check the tires, as mentioned previously safari's eat rubber, literally... Also check the steering. I believe the earlier Dicor's had steering issues, which were resolved in later models.
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 18:21   #23
BHPian

Is 3.6 L for Black Sept 04 Safari TCIC LX 4X2 a good deal in Mumbai? The vehicle has 5 spoke alloys all around and has run 60,000 kms...also it has been fitted with Pioneer 7650 player and JBL speakers. It has side steps and complete body coloured ( black) side cladding and appears to be a clean vehicle.

Please let me know whether I should go ahead with this deal ?

~A
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 08:52   #24
BHPian

Can anybody pls respond ?

~A
Old 13th March 2007, 14:29   #25
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd View Post
Is 3.6 L for Black Sept 04 Safari TCIC LX 4X2 a good deal in Mumbai? The vehicle has 5 spoke alloys all around and has run 60,000 kms...also it has been fitted with Pioneer 7650 player and JBL speakers. It has side steps and complete body coloured ( black) side cladding and appears to be a clean vehicle.

Please let me know whether I should go ahead with this deal ?

~A
Sorry had missed this thread .... I think 3.2 / 3.3 L is more like it as long as its in good condition and the service records are available. Here is the Check List -

Check Tyres - 60k on original's is end of life - Looking at a expense of about 25K
Tie Rod End's -
Suspension Bushes (since its run 60K it will need a all round Bush Replacement, costs about 5 - 6k)
Steering - Check for Oil Leaks
Check All Electricals - No Wire Joints, Additional Fuses .. etc. All Relays under the Front Seats and in the Engine Compartment should be intact.
Check AC - Both Rear and Front.
Check Rear Door Damper - This should be in place and aid in easy opening of the rear door.
Check Oil Leakage - Since all Post 2003 Safari's have a complete Engine Guard it is difficult to indentify engine Sump leakage you will need to inspect closely.
Check FI Pump - If its Mico / Bosch your are lucky.

Cheers ...
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 15:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Sorry had missed this thread .... I think 3.2 / 3.3 L is more like it as long as its in good condition and the service records are available. Here is the Check List -

Check Tyres - 60k on original's is end of life - Looking at a expense of about 25K
Tie Rod End's -
Suspension Bushes (since its run 60K it will need a all round Bush Replacement, costs about 5 - 6k)
Steering - Check for Oil Leaks
Check All Electricals - No Wire Joints, Additional Fuses .. etc. All Relays under the Front Seats and in the Engine Compartment should be intact.
Check AC - Both Rear and Front.
Check Rear Door Damper - This should be in place and aid in easy opening of the rear door.
Check Oil Leakage - Since all Post 2003 Safari's have a complete Engine Guard it is difficult to indentify engine Sump leakage you will need to inspect closely.
Check FI Pump - If its Mico / Bosch your are lucky.

Cheers ...
Thanks SUV...that was quite helpful

~A
Old 15th March 2007, 13:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

I own a '98 4x4 and have had no issues whatsoever. In 2004 I replaced the power steering pump as it packed up and being hermetically sealed couldn't be repaired. I went to Mayapuri and picked up the pump from a total loss Safari and the total expenditure cost me 7000/-

2005 replaced all shock absorbers

In 2006 I got the fuel pump & nozzle serviced before embarking on a 2500 km round trip from Gurgaon - Jaipur - Ajmer - Beawar - Udaipur - Ahmedabad - Anand - Baroda - Ankleshwar - Daman - Mumbai - Khandala/Lonavala and back. No trouble on the road excpet for a flat in Ankleshwar. FE with full A/c throughout - 11.6 Kmpl.

The truck goes for its regular service at 5000 kms. Average cost Rs.1700.

Beautiful & comfortable machine. massive & mean road prescence. I used to get the right of the way and now my wife gets (she drives it now). The best machine on highways. I have had no complaints from its AC.

Have driven a friends DICOR. Though more powerful powerplant and peppy, somehow I don't want to upgrade my baby...
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 14:34   #28
BHPian

You seem to love your Safari gd1418...

Just have a few questions:
How long do the shoc absorbers last?
How long do the tyres last?
If im buying a second hand one, what is the ideal year and no of Kms done should I look for?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 12:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Proxima: I don't seem to love my Safari. I LOVE MY SAFARI..

I can't generally comment on the shock absorbers. Mine lasted around 7 years. The truck originally cam shod with Kumho tyres that were replaced with JK Brute 4x4 in 2005.

If you are buying a second hand (btw, why would anyone sell his safari), then ideally you should look for a late 2004 or mid 2005 model that should have done approx 40K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
You seem to love your Safari gd1418...

Just have a few questions:
How long do the shoc absorbers last?
How long do the tyres last?
If im buying a second hand one, what is the ideal year and no of Kms done should I look for?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote