Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 29th July 2016, 09:15   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinthru' View Post
PapaBravo,
While I too agree on the capabilities of the Duster AWD, but isn't the Scorpio S4 with 4x4 better, less priced, proper 4x4 option, 2 additional seats, more spacious, ladder on frame, etc..?
Don't want to confuse anyone, but just my thoughts...
Cheers !
Both have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. You have to prioritize your needs and pick.

Advantage Duster
# Better cruising speed
While a Scorpio can do 120+ all day, it will lose out badly on fuel economy and brakes aren't very confidence inspiring either.
# Maybe better ride/handling
I am not very sure as at places it is evens [very bad roads + potholes] but high speed composure will be better as should be handling, this being a monocoque.
# Feel of sedan/hatch
Some people don't like the tall seating position.

Advantage Scorpio
# Low ratio
# More spacious with better bolstered seats
# Tall seating
# Better illumination [stock] and better cooling [AC]

I got the Scorpio as M&M has better presence as far as service aspect goes and I needed a ladder on frame based SUV. Both are pretty good SUV's in their own right. Pick one based on your needs. BHPian Himadri might provide better insight as he has owned both [Duster 2WD 110]

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
my Scorpio S10, 4WD.
Hope he reverts
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 12:37   #227
BHPian

Default Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinthru' View Post
PapaBravo,
While I too agree on the capabilities of the Duster AWD, but isn't the Scorpio S4 with 4x4 better, less priced, proper 4x4 option, 2 additional seats, more spacious, ladder on frame, etc..?
Don't want to confuse anyone, but just my thoughts...
Cheers !
Hi ridinthru,

To be very frank, its not about being better car. Infact, I think a better car is a car that ticks the most boxes for your requirement. My vehicle has maximum two people (my wife & I) traveling in any trip so the extra seats were not required. I wanted a good handler which can cruise all day long goes on most of the broken roads. Scorpio is a terrific vehicle but as I said, Duster ticked more boxes for my requirement.

Sheel has mentioned clearly the Pros & Cons. One has to see their priority & decide.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:48   #228
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New/Used 4x4 for 15 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Any updates on your test-drives?

What's the final call like?
Viral with 105 temperature landed me in hospital for the entire last week, I'm just glad it wasn't typhoid or malaria or dengue, scary experience until all reports came.

Since the new car is dependent on the house purchase it'd be a used car first (most likely an i10) for the wife, then the house and then the Duster/XUV.

Since the house purchase would take 2-3 months at least, we've decided to park the test drives until the house purchase. It'd be better to buy one instantly while the test experience is fresh. The 3-3.5 lakh differential is something that my wife keeps reminding me so I'm kind of certain we'd get the Duster but I wouldn't take this decision without test driving both cars thoroughly. My super boss got another XUV (new-gen) for himself so I'm planning to drive that too over next week, will keep you all posted!
fine69 is online now   Reply With Quote