Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 30th August 2013, 13:55   #151
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

If it was only 6 adults, then Ertiga will do, however since you mentioned luggage. Ertiga will require a roof carrier.
However Aria/Innova/Xylo will qualify, as they will have quite a bit of space left after seating 6.

Remember, the person who you put in the boot jump seats for such an ardous journey will give a supari in your name after the trip
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 16:35   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
What's a good 6 (adults + luggage) seater SUV/MUV (Budget 10-12L) to travel the north - specifically the Leh-Ladakh-Manali route?

The Duster can do it, but it doesn't really have space for 6 adults. Can a regular passenger seat be added to the Duster's boot? The child seat is too small for an adult to travel this route comfortably.

Aria? Ertiga? Do they qualify?
The only viable option is the Innova. It is one of the most popular vehicles in the Manali Leh circuit.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 18:52   #153
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to go for the Safari Dicor now? More so, since Storme is here, it will inevitably be discontinued sooner or later. Variant wise - LX is what I am looking at.

What do you guys think?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 18:57   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Does it make sense to go for the Safari Dicor now? More so, since Storme is here, it will inevitably be discontinued sooner or later. Variant wise - LX is what I am looking at.

What do you guys think?
Depends, how much is the price difference btw, between storme and Dicor, lx obviously??
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 18:59   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Depends, how much is the price difference btw, between storme and Dicor, lx obviously??
Well, the Storme's (LX) ex-showroom falls on the wrong side of a million bucks, pushing up the taxes and insurance premiums. Net difference is close to 2 lakhs OTR.
Old 27th September 2013, 19:16   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, the Storme's (LX) ex-showroom falls on the wrong side of a million bucks, pushing up the taxes and insurance premiums. Net difference is close to 2 lakhs OTR.
Then, i'll say get the storme. You'll get a newer product, which is obviously miles ahead as compared to Dicor. Plus, buying a car which has almost reached end of his life, doesn't makes sense. Though 2l difference is not a small amount, but i'll say its worth it, also guess you'll be able to recover this additional 2l at the time of selling the car few years down the line
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 20:34   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
What's a good 6 (adults + luggage) seater SUV/MUV (Budget 10-12L) to travel the north - specifically the Leh-Ladakh-Manali route?
For 6 adults with luggage, Aria is the best. It has decent luggage space and hauls well. Has a premium feel and surprisingly handles very well for its size. The Aria Pure LX variant has good features and might work in your budget. The reviews are good and tata has put in lot of efforts to improve customer satisfaction on this one.

Innova looks are now pretty dated, a refreshed variant is on cards.

Last edited by HillMan : 27th September 2013 at 20:36.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 10:45   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Then, i'll say get the storme. You'll get a newer product, which is obviously miles ahead as compared to Dicor. Plus, buying a car which has almost reached end of his life, doesn't makes sense. Though 2l difference is not a small amount, but i'll say its worth it, also guess you'll be able to recover this additional 2l at the time of selling the car few years down the line
Yes I agree to that. I started with a budget of around 8 lakhs, for Dicor am looking at extending my budget by 2 lakhs, for Storme I need to extend it by 4! That's the problem.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:26   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I agree to that. I started with a budget of around 8 lakhs, for Dicor am looking at extending my budget by 2 lakhs, for Storme I need to extend it by 4! That's the problem.
Any day Storme is a better option if you are looking at it as a Tourer as it has ABS + EBD on the LX variant as well. This is very much required for such a heavy vehicle especially on our Indian highways. The only problem is it does not come with front facing 3rd row seating. I wonder if the Aria seating can be applied to the Storme considering that the underpinnings are the same.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 18:23   #160
BHPian

Default New Sedan/hatchback/UV, petrol/diesel for family purpose

Hi friends, although i suggest cars to everyone who comes to me but when it comes to self, it is a nightmare choosing one. The requirement arose after going through few highway drives wherin kids & wifey started feeling cramped and uneasy. Also with the growing number of vehicles and increasing highway speeds, requirement for a much safer car came up.

Coming to my existing setup,
1. I have two cars already with me
2. One is Ritz VDI Sept 2011- done 43000 kms in 3+ years(fuel economy 18+ on my daily commute & 23 on highways)-Currently on finance
3. Second one is Chevrolet Spark-Jan 2010 done 30000 Kms in 5 years(Fuel economy is 16 on my daily commute and 17-18 on highways)-Finance Cleared
4. My daily running is 60 kms on weekdays and 40-50 Kms on weekends. Once in 3 months a drive of about 1000 kms.

After a lot of brainstorming have zeroed down on the following requirements
1. Space to carry stuff for my 2 kids(aged 1 & 3) including kids Prams
2. Space to pack weekend stuff
3. Should not feel claustrophobic
4. Space for kids to jump around
5. Should have decent fuel economy(13-14 in city conditions & 17-18 on highways)
6. Must be reliable in long term
7. Spares should be readily available
8. Absolutely must have ABS & Airbags

My dilemma is which car should i retain and which one should i dispose off to make way for the new car. Throughout my ownership both my cars have been serviced at A.S.S. only. Servicing cost for Maruti is coming to Rs 8,000-10,000 per 10000 kms(8000 rs for minor service & 10000 for major service). Service for chevy is Rs 3,500 per 5000 kms. For my daily office, 30 kms, commute, i use both the cars alternatively. But for my local commute, i find Sparky to be much more refined and user friendly. Diesel seems more friendly only for highway drives.

Need help from experts as to which new vehicle/what make(sedan/hatchback/utility vehicle)/which fuel option will suit me and with which fuel option. I am not averse going for something that drives on CNG as well(something like Ertiga CNG). Last but not the least, vitamin-M constraint is always there and max budget is of 8-8.5 lakhs.

I have the following vehicles in mind
1. Maruti Ertiga
2. Toyota Etios
3. Chevrolet Sail-sedan
4. Mahindra Quanto
5. Fiat Linea
6. Chevrolet Enjoy

Which variant(petrol/diesel) will suit me needs to be suggested.

Request to Mods: Please merge the thread with another one if similar exists

Last edited by su1978 : 30th December 2014 at 18:25. Reason: Additions to post
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 18:56   #161
BHPian

Default Re: New Sedan/hatchback/UV, petrol/diesel for family purpose

Your running is quite high according to me.
Well, to be honest the two cars which I was about to suggest you are not in your shortlist!

Those were Tata Zest (XMS or XT) and Hyundai Xcent (SX(O)); both diesels or the Elite i20 if you could stretch it a bit.

Now from your shortlist I would recommend Etios VD for space although it's boring to look at but will go on and on.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 19:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga Diesel would be a good bet. Not so claustrophobic, good ride comfort, yet with car like feel.

You could retain the Spark, giving you a good combination of big car and small car to choose from, for highway use versus city runabout.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 19:12   #163
BHPian

Any specific reason why you want to retain both cars?
  1. You could dispose off both cars which will give you additional Vitamin M!
  2. Else my suggestion would be dispose off Ritz for better resale value, buy a new diesel car and retain Spark as it won't fetch you much resale value
Space and luggage carrying seems to be your priority. If you go with option 1 above, you can think of buying Duster/Terrano. Both offer terrific ride, space and fuel economy.

If you go with option 2 above, my suggestion would be Ertiga from the choices you shortlisted.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 19:15   #164
BHPian

Guys his max budget is of 8-8.5 lakhs and only few diesel cars come with Airbags+ABS in that bracket. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.
RavSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 19:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
1. Maruti Ertiga
2. Toyota Etios
3. Chevrolet Sail-sedan
4. Mahindra Quanto
5. Fiat Linea
6. Chevrolet Enjoy
Hey su1978,
My close buddy is Chevy service adviser. As per his reports, Enjoy is creating quite a few issues as running increases. Enjoy ages too quickly. Sail is good product. But latest recalls & goof ups by Chevy doesn't inspire confidence to me. Enjoy & Sail are out for me.

Quanto is Ok one if you can digest looks & 3 potter.
Theoretically can't deny Linea!

Between Ertiga & Etios. I would advise Etios. Just have a look at maintenance schedule listed by amalji at below link. Toyota is must for high mileage owners!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3042936 (Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review)
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote