Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:35   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 754 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Look at the SX4. Its a mini SUV (though 2wd only) in "sedan"wolf's clothing. Pretty safe also - my friend banged one into a tractor trailer @ 80kmph and walked away unhurt. If your operating budget permits consider the ZXi AT (yes petrol - but a blessing in city commutes.)

Otherwise the XUV500 W6.

In second hand look at the Outlander - but you will need to get a 30-40K run model & may be able to keep for only 3-4 yrs.

Actually I am also hanging on for the EcoSport. I do not need AWD but I want it, along with AT gearbox & 6 airbags. My reading is that a lot of interesting vehicles will be available post 2014. So I might go the 2nd. hand route for 2-3 years.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:11   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,210
Thanked: 4,846 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Hi!

I might be in your shoes soon. My only criterion being ground clearance. At few places, I have to take a detour/walk or abandon the trip/road. I hate this aspect.

One look at my mint Figo & my heart would bleed to sell it off. Was getting 5.51L for a 18 month old, 17,000kms done Car

I am waiting for the Eco-Sport. My cousin is getting the Yeti Elegance in a week. How I wish I could plonk on for even the 4X2 variant...

If GC is not an issue, stick with a sedan. I would go for the Vento/Rapid or the Fiesta.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:20   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
vinay kamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MUMBAIBANGALORE
Posts: 1,255
Thanked: 1,436 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

while mercedes s-class has always my all-time favourite for comfort and safety on long drives, (used ones nowadays cost below 10 lacs)

i recommend a TATA MANZA QUADRAJET AURA car , as a sturdy , "very spacious" saloon with a great boot that holds many large bags. good pick-up too - on a recent bangalore to chikamagalur drive, i effortlessly cruised at 140 for many miles. it felt great . many service centres / check-points if needed , exist , about every hour or so along any route from bangalore. returns about 16 per litre. AC is also strong. TATA has really built a fine car !
vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:37   #34
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Sir,

I drove the Quanto last weekend. Believe me, after the Swift, its a downgrade.

Duster seems to tick all the boxes here. Also considering that the Ford Ecosport will only be here by March next year.

You can ask Behemoth for his views on Yeti. I believe he is very happy with the car (and service).

And yes, I agree with your point on reliability. I simply can't trust my car with long trips anymore after I was stranded away from civilization (MASS) for a few days.

Good luck.

Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:13   #35
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,033 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Hitanshu, Looking from After sales support POV- your experience with Maruti has been great why not get a Ertiga. It will meet most of your requirements and it is pretty close to Swift in terms of road behaviour and you will have the boot and flexible seating to squeeze in much more stuff compared to any other sedan at this price point. Added advantages over heavier UVs like Innova is car like FE and dynamics

As a Vehicle Duster is perfect for you, decent space for your requirements, with that Punchy engine and un-SUV dynamics it is pretty much fun to drive and Ride quality is awesome enough to gobble up Gurgaon roads. The problem lies in uncertainty over after sales support, there are not too many service stations around and the one in Gurgaon will surely get over crowded considering the kind of volumes they are selling right now. I have personally been to Renault dealer twice to book 2 different cars, one for my Friend and one for my Cousin, the booking experience has been BAD.

If Duster suits you and you can live with the uncertainty over after sales support, why not wait for Nissan's version of Duster, i can bet it will be much better value for money compared to its Renault sibling. If International reports are to be believed and looking at the car on which Duster is based(Logan), Duster is designed to last, only if Renault India has not ruined the mechanicals in the name of localisation just like what Fiat did to Punto.

Innova is a true blue Toyota, unlike the cut cost lacklustre Etios twins, it will be with you even after decades but being a large vehicle it would not be as fast or efficient as light weight Ertiga and Duster. But being a chassis based construction it will take lot more abuse than its monocoque rivals. Seating comfort especially with the captain seats is again unmatched.

Scorpio LX 4wd as we discussed is good value for money, but can you live with that camel like ride and top heavy handling especially when you are coming from a well sorted handler the old gen Swift. Do you really need a proper truck with proper offroading hardware? Another concern i have for LX variant is scary braking, the ABS equipped variants have much improved braking in comparison, i can vouch for it since i have driven both variants for a long long time.

Coming to Sedans-
Rapid and Vento twins are decent fun to drive and come with peppy yet frugal engine, but then luggage space is not flexible, the boot has small opening and the seats cannot be folded flat(forget split folding). Support for both these brands is not that great but cars have proved to be quite reliable with no known generic problems or niggles. Both of them sink with load, check GC before writing the cheque. Metal sump guard not factory fitted.

Sunny and Scala have impressive passenger space, and offer maximum amount of size for the money but they miss out on FTD factor. I have mentioned my comments on after sales support above..

SX4 Diesel is another car that might suit your needs, i am not sure if it has split folding rear seats, ground clearance is generous and once you get the sump guard fabricated you can take it pretty much everywhere till 2wd cars go, and believe me FWD cars are pretty capable in the rough. Performance is surely not at par with other 10L rupee sedans, the midrange kick you might get in Vento is missing and FE at speed might not be as good(Short gearing)..

Not recommending the Verna due to the bad dynamics, or the enthusiast in you will curse me forever. On paper this is most appealing sedan in the segment. Low GC is another concern.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:43   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This thread is like the ICE section all over again. You land up with a 10 budget, you are staring at 15
This is what happens when you ask 1000 people for advice . I started out for THAR but ended up buying the Getaway. So I say you decide yourself.

However, if you think you cannot sort out the issue inhouse, the consultants at TBHP are more than eager to help you with your problem and find new problems as well, albeit for a fee.

And since everybody is giving advice, I'll add my bit as well.

You don't need a SUV to carry your road bike. We have done it on the cycle carrier for 1200 Kms without issue on a Laura and I think it can be done. I suggest you pick up another hatch. First choice would have been the i20 but Hyundai is equally stingy on warranty. Since VW/Skoda are out and warranty comes into play, why not the Figo or the Punto.

I seriously would suggest against a SUV. And if it has to be a SUV, look at the Yeti base model followed by Duster.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:44   #37
BHPian
 
bbhavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 172
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Dear Phamilyman,

I am quite sure, by this time, you will be confused a lot.

There are may options available in the market and the wide range of your budget is aslo adding some fuel into this confusion.

As you are familiar with the Maruti segment, it is a better option to consider the sx4 as it has power, mileage and can easily be considered as the best value for money sedan.

In the MUV/SUV segment, a lot depends on the individual preferences as each vehicle has its own mertis/demerits.

Duster: compact SUV with the price of a big SUV. Good ride quality,but after slaes service not proven.

Scorpio: Less ride quality, but less price, good durability, also 4x4 option

SX4 : Stylish, value for money, but not yet proven

Innova : Proven vehicle, premium segment, long lasting, less fuel efficient

Yeti: Out of your given budget.

Hope you make a good decision considering all the parametres,

All the best,

regards,

bbhavan.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:00   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -
Posts: 861
Thanked: 1,003 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

I'm surprised you haven't considered the Ertiga! Going by your requirements, I would propose Ertiga as the best buy for your needs. I graduated like you from a 50k run Swift Vdi. Just crossed 10k on my Ertiga and it's an absolute hoot to drive. Just when I was thinking if my Ertiga was "Leh compatible", I see an Ertiga taxi in Leh in one of the pictures from anshuman's Leh in a Laura travelogue!

Since you're already a Swift owner, these points will work in your favour:

1. Familiar engine characteristics enabling quicker and smoother man-machine interaction. You will feel at home immediately in the Ertiga graduating from a Swift.

2. Familiar MASS agents and service centre.

3. Ertiga is the same width as the Swift, so no squeezing through issues.

4. Ertiga's wheelbase is just 10mm shorter than Innova's. And Suzuki engineers have put all that space to good use. Get this: the third row lumbar support is better than all its competing 7 seater MPVs.

5. Unlike other MPVs in the market, the Ertiga handles like an elongated hatchback. So driving in the city will be a breeze.

6. The mileage is amazing! On the highway at a consistent speed of 90 kmph, it delivers 23 kmpl! In the city, it has never gone below 17 kmpl. There are bigger engined MPVs in the market that cannot return more than 13 kmpl, no matter how gentle you are on the throttle.

7. Don't get confused by the specs on paper. This 1.3 Multijet is a hoot to drive on the highway. I've done speeds unto 140, and the ride was composed and the engine purring happily. The NVH is so good, you wouldn't notice! In my old Swift, anything beyond 100, the engine drone is loud and clear in the cabin, but not in the Ertiga.

8. After living in the cramped Swift, the Ertiga felt like a Volvo multi-axle! Even today, I enjoy the headroom and roominess of the cabin. It's like travelling in a Volvo!

9. The rear door's window deserves a special mention. It is so wide, like the CAAAAR ad, that my kid and wife enjoy sitting at the back and enjoying the scenery! Also, because the door is wide, one of the longest I reckon, getting into the last seat is a cinch.

10. Finally, you have Suzuki's reliability. This is one big reason for me to consider Ertiga. All my cars spend the major part of their lives on the highway and reliability is of utmost importance! The Swift delivered and now the Ertiga's delivering!

Sorry about your turbocharger issue but I'm sure its a one-off issue. There are Swift owners right in this forum who have comfortably done 2L kms with ease. There's a guy who has just done his Leh trip on a 50,000 kms run Linea with nary a glitch. So you get the picture.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Maruti Suzuki employee nor am I involved in their Ertiga product endorsements. What I am, is a satisfied Ertiga owner!
swiftdiesel is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:49   #39
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 597
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

One look at my mint Figo & my heart would bleed to sell it off.
No other car around that price bracket would offer you the dynamics which the little ford offers. It can only be shadowed by its bigger siblings & European sedans. After having the figo, I am completely spoilt by it. The i10, Vista, and spark which i drove after the figo felt completely disconnected and lacking the FTD factor. The Scorpio felt as a boat and scary while cornering. Figo's design may look dated and the plastics may feel made to cost, but the drive and handling is simply amazing! Before selling try to increase the GC by up sizing the tyre to 185/70 or 175/70.

On a different note, Have not driven duster, but IMO Renault has taken its success for granted and made an already premium priced vehicle even more premium. I fail to understand why a cheap SUV (for rest of the world) is made an expensive Vehicle in India considering the fact that it shares its engine and platform with Logan! In comparison to Renault; Nissan products seem more honestly priced. I hope it launches its own version of the Duster soon. Otherwise the Eco-sport is worth waiting.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 3rd October 2012 at 19:51.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 06:01   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

First things first - see the 13L budget came from a mental plan that IF I go for Innova, I will keep it for 6-8 years and a couple of lakh kms. There's no other vehicle today that inspires that kind of faith at that price point. Aside from that, my lakshman rekha would really be ~10L. Not that I can't spend more - but why?! The space in the evalia would be a lovely nice to have but i'm no longer sure the extra money justifies it. Its what i label WMAIG What More am I Getting (for the extra money?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Right !
The best I recall of late, is 3 years / 1.2L kms with extended warranty for the Figo.
Very interesting. Its far more economically priced than Swift. More on that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Since you do not need a 4WD or an AT, I d recommend the Duster. It is a no nonsense, reliable frugal vehicle that can munch miles effortlessly and cocoon 4 people in comfort like few others.
Yes, thanks. That is a high priority one. Though the RXL-o might touch 11.5 on road or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As a car gets old, certain wear & tear parts will need replacement (e.g. your axles).
Selling a car because the wear & tear parts need replacement is like buying a new house because your current home needs new furniture.

While the warranty period is important, pay more attention to the reliability of the car. My Tata Indigo had a 4 year / 80k warranty, my used Civic had none. Yet, the Civic has proven 100% reliable in the 3+ years I've had it, while the Indigo was a nightmare to own (even though the repairs were free for 4 years).



From the SUVs, it would be the Renault Duster (top recommendation). You might want to wait for the Ford EcoSport as well. From a segment above, take a spin in the Skoda Yeti; extremely competent car, but you will have to take a gamble on the reliability & Skoda's after-sales.

Amongst sedans, I'd highly recommend the Nissan Sunny to you. Always brings a smile when commuting in the city. I love the Rapid & Vento too albeit, like the Yeti, you'll be gambling on long term reliability, expensive parts & after-sales quality.
Agreed to most thoughts except on replacement. Pointed that out earlier. I don't mind staying on with this car, but I *dont* trust it any more. Given the wait periods, its important to do one's homework upfront! I may still keep the car if it proves stress free.

Now as for new, the math doesnt add up for the Duster if i consider the RXL-O, which is well over 11. Its manageable but what for, is my question - considering i am anyways addicted to a sporty hatch at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
RXZ 110 Ex showroom is Rs 11,11,324
W6 Ex showroom is Rs 11,61,001

I would go with W6. Even the lowest variant on XUV has almost the same or more features than RXZ, and we get 30 more horses
Didnt like it, as I said earlier. My interest is anyways in the 85 bhp one

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
+1 with GTO
Do check out the Yeti if you have the budget for it. Its a sensible and safe fun to drive car that is good for long distance touring.
and Please, don't sacrifice the safety (ABS, airbags etc)
Agreed. But no yeti. neither the brand inspires faith, nor the budget makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hitanshu - If you can look at 13L range, go for the Yeti Active. I guess it is only slightly more expensive than that. The 4WD edition is a lot more expensive though.
Buy it with the extended warranty etc. and it'll be a car that will keep you happy.
Nothing else will give you that level of refinement and driving pleasure. It also comes with a host of accessory options, including cycle racks.

A relatively distant second on my list would be the Duster in the 85 BHP trim. Second, only when compared to a Yeti. It trumps everything else in it's price range.

If you really need a 4x4, then the Scorpio LX 4WD also makes a lot of sense. A couple of friends have recently picked this up, and I quite like what I see. However, the ride comfort will leave a lot to be desired. Best leave this out though, considering that you are not crazy about a 4WD.

A comfortable VFM Sedan - Sunny gets the pick, all considered.

As GTO said, if you don't really need that kind of space, no point hauling around that Evalia or the Innova.

Quanto - Seriously?

P.S. Maybe this is the prefect pretext for a Quick-Meat. What say?
Out of these, only the scorpio makes sense. Quanto is there partly because of VFM, partly out of space. Had thought that it may have full folding (Xylo) seats, which would've made it awesome, but it isnt. As of now its lower priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
One question - If you're okay with a M&M product, then why not Tata? With Tata & M&M, whether you get a niggle full or free vehicle totally depends on which side of the bed you get out of. So, one is as good [or bad] as another, at least IMO Anyway, if you change your mind about blacklisting Tata, then the Safari is the best long distance tourer out there. Think about it.

If you're okay with a Scorpio, then might as well check out the refreshed Xylo too. It has amazing space, body roll is lesser than the Scorpio [or so I've heard], the mEagle is a proven engine and the E8 with ABS and Airbags will fit in 13L easily, with room to spare. Forum member "gsferrari" has recently bought one and gone to Leh in it.

Cheers,
Vikram
Vikram,

Tata is not something I want to get near. Enough horror stories in the family. Hence, Fiat will be avoided. Could have considered them if they had an independent network. Ditto for Skoda/VW. Stuff like bumpers costing 32k for vento is what makes me more apprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
i think what you are looking at is a vehicle with decent ground clearance and very little body roll for the highways.

Vehicles which are too big for your requirement - scorpio/safari/innova
Duster/Yeti - too new to market, serviceablity not yet known.
Quanto - body roll - not really an upgrade from swift.
Eco-sport - if in no hurry you should wait for this to come out.

At 13 lakhs are you willing to look at used fortunners? While being as big as scorpio/safari, at least they will be major maintenance free. If you are thinking of finance, then used cars are out - prohibitive rates.

SX4 diesel ZDI with airbags - best compromise car - I think with rear seats down, a cycle can be carried, after releasing front wheel. Use it for 50k kms, and then sell it - maruti diesel will get a premium if the vehicle has not crossed 60k kms. Then go buy a big tank.

ps: Ertiga could be a similar option, if the waiting period is fine by you, and if it has an option for airbags.
See the note on the budget above.

The SX4 is expensive - in a day and age when the Sunny is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Well, I too was in the same boat a few weeks ago.

I was looking to replace my 2005 Esteem with a 4wd family tourer. Spent 2-3 months in used car market for SUV (Bolero/Scorpio/Innova) without satisfaction.
Then took test drives of Safari/Scorpio/Bolero/Xylo.
Finally considering a lot of factors booked Scorpio LX 4wd two weeks back.

I felt Scorpio, even if old model is still better. Same was the case when i bought Esteem in 2005.
Factors i considered were Reliability, Fuel Economy, 4WD, Service Availability, Maintenance cost, looks...
I have similar thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
If you are a family of three with some occasional visitors and are going to drive within city/good roads and are not keen to take your car for mud plugging, why to spend a fortune on a fuel guzzling SUV/MUV. It would also require extra efforts for parking in and around Delhi. Settle down for a feature packed and FTD sedan.

You could look @:
1. The Nissan Sunny - ++ Space/Fuel Efficient
2. The Vento/Rapid - ++ Engine performance/FTD
3. The Ford Classic (Top Model) - ++ VFM/Frugal Engine/FTD
Agree on sunny. Not on VW/Skoda. Ford classic is nice but its part horrors (costs, not delays) are far too many !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Does the swift meet all your requirements now. If so, you are better off doing a complete overhaul of whatever parts are at the end of their life and then continuing with the car. Not only is it way cheaper, you are also comfortable and used to the car. That can make a huge difference to your son
heh!!
I completely agree. Except I have no faith on the vehicle at the moment as I wrote recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Have you seen this offer.

http://www.tataaria.com/
No Tata buy buy, only Tata bye bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
If I am not wrong, Linea enjoys the 150k Kms (for MJD) extended warranty which usually comes as a free package from Fiat. For T-Jet, the warranty extends till 1,96,000 Kms.

I don't know if you are considering Linea/Punto, but just thought of sharing this bit of information.
Arre if it was not for the tata tieup, I would've been owning a palio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
My views.

Once you have made up your mind to go for a new ride, it becomes difficult to retain your old one.

Now considering your requirements, my views on the choices.

Nissan Sunny / Evalia- Sunny maybe. But the Evalia? Why? You really dont need the space and from the looks of it, the car doesn't seem a fun to drive one too.

Renault Duster- Defenitely a good choice if you dont find it tad overpriced for what it offers.

Scorpio 4x4 - Too old and dated in my opinion.

Quanto- Seriously? If fun to drive is your criteria and swift D the bench mark, I dont know why are you even looking at it?

Ford Figo (if I settle back into a hatch) / Ecosport- Is Figo really an upgrade from the swift. It would be fun to drive due to the superior handling, but isn't it a tad slow compared to the swift (specially since you have that 'quick to accelerate' criteria).

Since you had included scorpio, why not the XUV 5OO. Also have a look at the Aria. I presume you are averse to Tata, but if Mahindra then why not?

My personal suggestion, since you dont really need 7 seats, go for the Duster or The Vento or Rapid. Sunny might be a good choice too. Though I would love to wait for the Ecosport too. But for how long?
I am honestly not expecting much from the ecosport - it remains an object of curiosity though.

Agree on Sunny. The Duster is currently much lower in the priority order. I mean, Duster is just a more robust better-riding car AFAIC (no 4WD). For the kit I want, its over 11 on road. If the Sunny can give me that kit in 9L or so (XL) then why spend 2L just for looks and bit more ride quality. The Sunny GC is not encouraging though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
From your list, I feel the Sunny (or Scala if Renault ASC is better in your area) makes the best choice. And if you need an SUV-ish car, go with the Duster. In both cases you will get a frugal workhorse engine.

If the requirement is not too urgent, probably its worth to wait for the Ecosport.
Yep - see above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Are pre-owned vehicles an option?
Thanks but no - peace of mind is the reason of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Yeti is ahead of XUV in engineering and finish - Agreed except the "Miles" part.

Have never seen the Yeti breakdown - Had a flat bed truck in my office in the recent past.

Reliability is supreme - SKODA?? I have had my colleague's car going to garage every now and then..and he feels the Service in Chennai is a nightmare. He owns a Laura.

I drive an XUV and have covered 11000kms in close to 2.5 months. Everytime I drive the XUV I have a wide grin on my face. Its an all rounder with a good combo of Power, Space and Equipment and Style. There a few niggles but as a package, it scores better than the YETI for the given cost (just my opinion)

I considered Yeti seriously during my buy (read numerous test drives, comparisons etc.) but the things that put me off was the rear seat THIGH support and poor Service

I am not sure why XUV is not considered, but it could a good contender. Just my 2 cents. Go with an open mind and take a test drive, you will be pleasantly surprised. All the Best for your purchase.
Thx. Multiple reasons. Budget, XUV dislike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Phamilyman !! Agreed, if the initial impressions of the XUV weren't much to your likings, then they never will be (any car for that matter). The kind of Fit and Finish that Skoda gives is amazing. The build quality is truly amazing. If it wasn't for the less than average A.S.S it would have been the best choice. There are a couple of Fabia's in our family and till date they work like a charm. But there are many more Skoda Horror stories on this very forum that stops me from recommending a Skoda to anyone.

Scorpio should be a good deal, given that you do not mind the old design.

What about Pre-worshipped cars, that ways in the given budget you could look at some really neat Captiva's and the likes !!
No used cars. Scorpio is in the picture. I love the Yeti's interiors FWIW - its a lovely vehicle but WAY out of my budget! Plus the brand distrust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess these easily says "Duster". Comfortable, Reliable, Frugal, Easy parking, Throw around on bad roads, ABS & Airbags in your budget. 85 PS RXL (O) / 110 PS RXL it should be; I will NOT look further.

Yeah, I tend to agree this is NOT VFM. But then what is the better option at that price bracket?

I see you would like to have a car which you can throw around on bad roads too, I will NOT prefer a sedan to do it! For the XUV / Yeti price, I would NOT abuse those, rather will baby it [most probably Ecosport too, until & unless I find it rough]. Duster looks rugged and has been proven to be used as a 4x4 abroad - so I consider this to be robust enough to handle abuse!

The only problem I feel will be on the Warranty / A$$ side of it [which is yet to be proven]. I have no doubt on the longevity of the engine though!
You've mirrored many of my thoughts about these vehicles, but like I said, Duster is falling clearly behind on the WMAIG criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I can only think of FIAT in this case.

Punto & Linea both come with 4 years/ 1.5L kms extended warranty.
Pathological fear of going near Tatas sir!


Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Look at the SX4. Its a mini SUV (though 2wd only) in "sedan"wolf's clothing. Pretty safe also - my friend banged one into a tractor trailer @ 80kmph and walked away unhurt. If your operating budget permits consider the ZXi AT (yes petrol - but a blessing in city commutes.)

Otherwise the XUV500 W6.

In second hand look at the Outlander - but you will need to get a 30-40K run model & may be able to keep for only 3-4 yrs.

Actually I am also hanging on for the EcoSport. I do not need AWD but I want it, along with AT gearbox & 6 airbags. My reading is that a lot of interesting vehicles will be available post 2014. So I might go the 2nd. hand route for 2-3 years.
Interesting. I quite like the SX4 myself but honestly, maruti is priced out of the market. The ZDI fails the WMAIG considerably versus the Sunny. Plus its parts are not cheap either. The swift's turbo is 14k, while the SX4 is 35k (labor aside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

I might be in your shoes soon. My only criterion being ground clearance. At few places, I have to take a detour/walk or abandon the trip/road. I hate this aspect.

One look at my mint Figo & my heart would bleed to sell it off. Was getting 5.51L for a 18 month old, 17,000kms done Car

I am waiting for the Eco-Sport. My cousin is getting the Yeti Elegance in a week. How I wish I could plonk on for even the 4X2 variant...

If GC is not an issue, stick with a sedan. I would go for the Vento/Rapid or the Fiesta.
I may call u on this. I am surprised about this angle, considering our hero tirthankar drives around a ford figo happily! I share your budget concern on the yeti too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
i recommend a TATA MANZA QUADRAJET AURA car , as a sturdy , "very spacious" saloon
No tata - Vista/manza would've been a natural choice if they were made by a maruti or a hyundai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Hitanshu, Looking from After sales support POV- your experience with Maruti has been great why not get a Ertiga.
Sir, we will discuss this in person and I will take much more of your time. You can see my comments above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is what happens when you ask 1000 people for advice . I started out for THAR but ended up buying the Getaway. So I say you decide yourself.

However, if you think you cannot sort out the issue inhouse, the consultants at TBHP are more than eager to help you with your problem and find new problems as well, albeit for a fee.

And since everybody is giving advice, I'll add my bit as well.

You don't need a SUV to carry your road bike. We have done it on the cycle carrier for 1200 Kms without issue on a Laura and I think it can be done. I suggest you pick up another hatch. First choice would have been the i20 but Hyundai is equally stingy on warranty. Since VW/Skoda are out and warranty comes into play, why not the Figo or the Punto.

I seriously would suggest against a SUV. And if it has to be a SUV, look at the Yeti base model followed by Duster.
This is interesting.
a. What about the getaway? How has it been - why not recommending it?
b. You have valid points - will come to it later at the end.
c. No Yeti / Duster. WMAIG fail it is !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Dear Phamilyman,

I am quite sure, by this time, you will be confused a lot.

There are may options available in the market and the wide range of your budget is aslo adding some fuel into this confusion.

As you are familiar with the Maruti segment, it is a better option to consider the sx4 as it has power, mileage and can easily be considered as the best value for money sedan.

In the MUV/SUV segment, a lot depends on the individual preferences as each vehicle has its own mertis/demerits.

Duster: compact SUV with the price of a big SUV. Good ride quality,but after slaes service not proven.

Scorpio: Less ride quality, but less price, good durability, also 4x4 option

SX4 : Stylish, value for money, but not yet proven

Innova : Proven vehicle, premium segment, long lasting, less fuel efficient

Yeti: Out of your given budget.

Hope you make a good decision considering all the parametres,

All the best,

regards,

bbhavan.
Well summarized except on SX4 (see my post bit above). I think I am pretty much aligned on most points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I'm surprised you haven't considered the Ertiga! Going by your requirements, I would propose Ertiga as the best buy for your needs. I graduated like you from a 50k run Swift Vdi. Just crossed 10k on my Ertiga and it's an absolute hoot to drive. Just when I was thinking if my Ertiga was "Leh compatible", I see an Ertiga taxi in Leh in one of the pictures from anshuman's Leh in a Laura travelogue!

Since you're already a Swift owner, these points will work in your favour:

1. Familiar engine characteristics enabling quicker and smoother man-machine interaction. You will feel at home immediately in the Ertiga graduating from a Swift.

2. Familiar MASS agents and service centre.

3. Ertiga is the same width as the Swift, so no squeezing through issues.

4. Ertiga's wheelbase is just 10mm shorter than Innova's. And Suzuki engineers have put all that space to good use. Get this: the third row lumbar support is better than all its competing 7 seater MPVs.

5. Unlike other MPVs in the market, the Ertiga handles like an elongated hatchback. So driving in the city will be a breeze.

6. The mileage is amazing! On the highway at a consistent speed of 90 kmph, it delivers 23 kmpl! In the city, it has never gone below 17 kmpl. There are bigger engined MPVs in the market that cannot return more than 13 kmpl, no matter how gentle you are on the throttle.

7. Don't get confused by the specs on paper. This 1.3 Multijet is a hoot to drive on the highway. I've done speeds unto 140, and the ride was composed and the engine purring happily. The NVH is so good, you wouldn't notice! In my old Swift, anything beyond 100, the engine drone is loud and clear in the cabin, but not in the Ertiga.

8. After living in the cramped Swift, the Ertiga felt like a Volvo multi-axle! Even today, I enjoy the headroom and roominess of the cabin. It's like travelling in a Volvo!

9. The rear door's window deserves a special mention. It is so wide, like the CAAAAR ad, that my kid and wife enjoy sitting at the back and enjoying the scenery! Also, because the door is wide, one of the longest I reckon, getting into the last seat is a cinch.

10. Finally, you have Suzuki's reliability. This is one big reason for me to consider Ertiga. All my cars spend the major part of their lives on the highway and reliability is of utmost importance! The Swift delivered and now the Ertiga's delivering!

Sorry about your turbocharger issue but I'm sure its a one-off issue. There are Swift owners right in this forum who have comfortably done 2L kms with ease. There's a guy who has just done his Leh trip on a 50,000 kms run Linea with nary a glitch. So you get the picture.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Maruti Suzuki employee nor am I involved in their Ertiga product endorsements. What I am, is a satisfied Ertiga owner!
Hey man, here is my thing. Ertiga is a choice but again mentally i am quite done with Maruti. A company that does not even bother to acknowledge customer complaints after 3 weeks does NOT deserve more money from me. If I have to stick with MSIL, I will continue using this swift. Yes, mine is a one-off case but I have no faith in them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
No other car around that price bracket would offer you the dynamics which the little ford offers. It can only be shadowed by its bigger siblings & European sedans. After having the figo, I am completely spoilt by it. The i10, Vista, and spark which i drove after the figo felt completely disconnected and lacking the FTD factor. The Scorpio felt as a boat and scary while cornering. Figo's design may look dated and the plastics may feel made to cost, but the drive and handling is simply amazing! Before selling try to increase the GC by up sizing the tyre to 185/70 or 175/70.

On a different note, Have not driven duster, but IMO Renault has taken its success for granted and made an already premium priced vehicle even more premium. I fail to understand why a cheap SUV (for rest of the world) is made an expensive Vehicle in India considering the fact that it shares its engine and platform with Logan! In comparison to Renault; Nissan products seem more honestly priced. I hope it launches its own version of the Duster soon. Otherwise the Eco-sport is worth waiting.
I hope so on the Nissan Duster but the renault one is okay too - it just fails the WMAIG. Agree on the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
In today's scenario almost every brand is stingy on warranties including respected/trusted/luxury brands. And when the warranty is out, and your car breaks-down; the ASSC's are adamant on replacements rather than repairing and most the spare parts costs a bomb!

Sadly, modern cars are a lot more complex and have much more parts resulting in more unpleasant surprises. With the manufacturer/dealer practice combined, leaves a big dent on the owners bank balance and mental mayhem.

First of all, chose the category based upon your usage! If a separate boot isn't required, even a premium hatch could suffice your requirements. if you really want a bigger car and don't need a 7 seats and off-road abilities, a budget sedan can do for you. I mentioned 'budget' because you don't want higher repair/replacement bills and mentioned that the vento's bumper alone costs 32k.

Post deciding the category, eliminate the brands you don't want or perceive unreliable. One of The left over cars/brands would be your next one!
Thanks. You summarized my thoughts to a T.

Let me put my specific state of mind forward now.

The first thought is to get a firm grip on the current state of the car - if its reliable, then apologies for wasting everyone's time, but I may just carry on with the swift. The idea is to subject it to checks around Diwali (would've done 3k post repair) - enough time for the turbocharger issue to show up if it still remains.

Then, I need to take test drives with family, and get a closer sense on what my wife wants.

As far as I am concerned, here are the things top of my mind:
  • If I choose to stick with yet another hatch (case of extreme WMAIG, and us electing to avoid loans and deploy future cash to retire our considerable home loan faster) - Figo looks interesting. Their current pricing makes me want to pinch myself. 6 ex-showroom, but 28k discount!! Compare that with the swift that's at 6.8L and no discount. The micra is also similarly priced!
  • I am definitely enticed by the Sunny (bro has the Micra that I already quite like). Its the most VFM car that has the ginormous space comparable to Manza and yet with jap reliability.
  • I am damn curious about the Verito and will look it up. Its the cheapest sedan in my radar at the moment. Will ping roy. Again, its a total workhorse vehicle, though to be honest, I hate its plastics and seats.
  • Scorpio 4x4 will find its way in, if we consider a go-anywhere vehicle to be our primary use though it does have its significant shortcomings.
  • Quanto and Evalia (I will still take TDs) are behind on the WMAIG perspective vs hatches and other sedans. Evalia's space angle is good, but i'm not sure how safe using it like that might be. Duster, again fails WMAIG vis a vis Sunny.
  • Innova as everyone has mentioned is too big for our usage.
  • Tata/Fiat/Ertiga is out for the reasons mentioned above.
  • XUV was neither initially liked, nor it/Yeti are in the budget at the moment.
I am making an excel sheet summarizing this - should post it on the weekend.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 07:16   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 790
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

@phamilyman- As I understand it, your major concern with your present swift is the engine. You have the complimentary rattles, but are ok with that.

Talk to the A.S.S and see what replacing your current for a brand new engine would cost. Am guessing a maximum of say 300,000. Saves you lots of money and your car body should last long enough to go along with the new engine.

This takes away all your concern about repaired parts failing and you will have peace of mind once more on your 2am trips with the wife and 15 month old child.

Just a thought to help you save some money and speed up the process
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 07:28   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is interesting.
a. What about the getaway? How has it been - why not recommending it?
The Getaway is a wonderful vehicle if you don't mind the slight bouncy ride. I'm really happy with the features it provides. Sometimes its oil tanker turning radius is PITA but its still lesser than Safari and you get used to it. You get immense respect from pesky bikers and unruly autos. The load bay is very useful, have carried 5 bikes together on a trip to Bangalore and back. But please remember the Getaway is a BS-III vehicle. Atleast mine was and I had to register it outside Hyderabad in a village.

And why I didn't recommend it is because I don't think buying a pickup truck is everyone's cup of tea.

On a side note, this is my second M&M vehicle and TBH I think they are pretty good at customer service. There are lacunas but atleast the company is responsive.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 10:39   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Talking Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
@phamilyman- As I understand it, your major concern with your present swift is the engine. You have the complimentary rattles, but are ok with that.

Talk to the A.S.S and see what replacing your current for a brand new engine would cost. Am guessing a maximum of say 300,000. Saves you lots of money and your car body should last long enough to go along with the new engine.

This takes away all your concern about repaired parts failing and you will have peace of mind once more on your 2am trips with the wife and 15 month old child.

Just a thought to help you save some money and speed up the process
No baba. I would much rather sell this and buy brand new. Replacing the engine does not improve resale considerably and this will anyways go for a bit lesser than the cost of a new engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The Getaway is a wonderful vehicle if you don't mind the slight bouncy ride. I'm really happy with the features it provides. Sometimes its oil tanker turning radius is PITA but its still lesser than Safari and you get used to it. You get immense respect from pesky bikers and unruly autos. The load bay is very useful, have carried 5 bikes together on a trip to Bangalore and back. But please remember the Getaway is a BS-III vehicle. Atleast mine was and I had to register it outside Hyderabad in a village.

And why I didn't recommend it is because I don't think buying a pickup truck is everyone's cup of tea.

On a side note, this is my second M&M vehicle and TBH I think they are pretty good at customer service. There are lacunas but atleast the company is responsive.
Actually on second thoughts it will be nearly impossible to park in my underground parking so no point. I would hve preferred the kinda setup which people make in a gypsy (5 seater + small load bay).

Plus as a consultant, sooner or later wife will have to use it, and then i will have to pay for a driver when i'm away
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 10:52   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,210
Thanked: 4,846 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Tirthankar drives solo and his luggage won't constitute over 50kgs. The moment you load the Figo up, the GC is a disappointment. Else everywhere, the Car shines bright.

The annual service cost is Rs. ~2,000. Add Rs. ~1000 for service charge after the free service goes. And that sums it up.

I am satisfied with it, the GC being the only issue/concern for me. Raise the Figo and I would be happy. I don't crave for more power.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 11:08   #45
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 597
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

I see its a close call between the Sunny and the Figo! You would enjoy Humongous space the Sunny provides. On the other hand your Pocket would be happy If you go for the Figo. If you decide to part with the current car, take extensive TD's of both of these. Look @ your priority and decide.

Best of luck!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limited edition White & Red Yamaha R15 : The search ends & the fun begins! ram_hyundai Motorbikes 16 26th March 2012 12:59
My search for a 4WD tourer... HELP!!! COUGAR SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 11 8th January 2011 07:27
Jaipur OTR - Search begins for a nice trail. Ym-enjn 4x4 Excursions 32 25th April 2009 20:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks