Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th July 2013, 08:17   #121
BHPian

Dear BHPians ,
Need to upgrade from diesel hatchback (Ritz) . Clubbing my previous posts in a single thread.
Thinking of upgrade; Should I or Shouldn't is the turmoil.
Family size increased so is long distance travelling. Finding it bit congested with toddler on board, and the luggage requirements.

With budget around 11L , need help from forum members.

My usage pattern
50% chauffeur driven
Twice monthly tour of remote area - 450km with family of 5 and luggage
25 to 30 km per day , half driven by me
Occasional 6 occupancy

Need
Spacious 5 seater
Good GC - bad roads
remote service reach
450L plus boot
Abs EBD etc
BT connectivity

Took TD of many
Evalia and Enjoy too boxy for my liking and daily commute for a doctor.

1. Etios : both engines are okay, but interiors ? 1L price difference between Ertiga

2. Verna , New Fiesta: poor GC,
Verna no doubt the best at my price range , Slightly un inspiring as far as the handling and turbo lag but I still consider it. Heart over Mind. 126 bhp mind blowing...

3. Sunny fitted the bill perfectly. But gear shift is worst., poor GC, service centre reach, went against. .

4. Verito lost on Taxi image, tried week for TD no response, poor customer attention from their side. Probably they're used to sell it to Drivers !

5. Vento and Rapid loose on the same lines of poor GC , service reach

6. Manza lost on city Drivablity as 50% self drive.

Need to take Duster Td tomorrow, with face lift new Duster in near future hope to get good discounts. .

1. 40k kms for 3 yrs usage with Ritz -- petrol or diesel? ( with 65% finance )
2. Monthly on poor roads. . Duster or Ertiga or Sedan with good GC ?
3. is Ertiga worth upgrade for doubling EMI over Ritz ?

Last edited by drkritik : 20th July 2013 at 08:28.
drkritik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 09:10   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Zeroed Ertiga, Any Alternatives ??

Considering that you will upto 6 people, Ertiga looks to be the suitable choice. The rest are cars, where you will not be able to do 6. Duster is a 5 seater.

Other options would be Xylo / Evalia.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 09:25   #123
BHPian

Out of the cars available at your budget, I think the Duster is the only one that ticks all your boxes. Except maybe for the service network part.

Have you considered the Ecosport? It satisfies all your requirements except for the boot space (~350 liters). The Ertiga has only around 300 liters by the way, with the last row folded.

For around 13k kms per year, considering the prices of petrol and the likelihood of them going up even further, I say get a diesel.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 09:35   #124
BHPian

You have pretty much zeroed-in on your next car. With 5 people most of the time and a occasional 6th occupant, I don't see any other car/MUV fitting your bill as perfectly as Ertiga. However, will all seats occupied you will have little space for luggage - or you will have to go for a roof-carrier.

And as condor mentioned, you might have a look at Xylo / Scorpio (if you are okay to increase your budget a bit).

Duster - again, I am not sure if it would answer your requirement of 5/6 occupants. You are the best judge on this one.

Ecosport - I TD-ed it and have put my comments in the 'Official Review' section too. It is not a practical 5-seater car. It is okay if you have a occasional 5th occupant for shorter distances. But, considering your travel-pattern (450kms/monthly twice/5 occupants), I feel you would be punishing the 5th occupant or rather, all those sitting in the back bench.

Last edited by callvvijay : 20th July 2013 at 09:40.
callvvijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 09:59   #125
BHPian

Innova is pricier but it would be a no-compromise vehicle for long hauls. I would suggest to check it out and re calculate your finances and see if you can get it. I believe the Ertiga is low on space and power buy MUV standards.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:00   #126
BHPian

I use an Ertiga, with more or less similar usage pattern as you (1500km/month, travel anywhere, 90% driver), and I also use a car seat for the toddler. It may be the best option, other than going for an Innova. If you have luggage or need the provision for the same, you will have to invest in a carrier as pointed out above.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:19   #127
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

If sixth person is rare and can be adjusted for short distance, go for duster

But if you regularly carry more people then you surely need seven seater car

Any reason why you did not consider xylo? Its pretty decent if you have a driver. Its rugged and can take you to remote corners too

Also you might be able to squeeze innova g trim since you have budget for duster. Its a very practical car.

But if your budget is fixed,then choose ertiga its best of both xylo and innova
rajshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

I'd say take a look at the Innova. Yes its pricier than the Ertiga, but is more sensible for long highway runs. And loads of boot space if you fold up the last row. 2nd best would be Ertiga. Innova would provide more space for that occasional 6th person, which would be quite a task on the Duster with has only 2 rows of seats. More over you would get more luggage space and a tried and tested no nonsense vehicle for your money with the Innova.

Last edited by longhorn : 20th July 2013 at 11:01.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
...With budget around 11L , need help from forum members.

My usage pattern
50% chauffeur driven
Twice monthly tour of remote area - 450km with family of 5 and luggage
25 to 30 km per day , half driven by me
Occasional 6 occupancy

Need
Spacious 5 seater
Good GC - bad roads
remote service reach
450L plus boot
Abs EBD etc
BT connectivity

1. 40k kms for 3 yrs usage with Ritz -- petrol or diesel? ( with 65% finance )
2. Monthly on poor roads. . Duster or Ertiga or Sedan with good GC ?
3. is Ertiga worth upgrade for doubling EMI over Ritz ?
1. Diesel surely.

2. Occasional 6th is not possible in any of the options you are thinking unless you want to expand horizon to Innova, Xylo, XUV seriously. Out of which only Xylo and Innova G may come within your budget. You can retrofit Rear AirCon in Innova G at cheap, 18k. Xylo as a chauffer-driven on back seat, I would rather be wary for long distances, high speeds and bad roads.

Also, Ertiga is IMO and my friend's opinion (owns Ertiga), is a squeeze for 5th with healthy people, even the ladies clearly indicated that it is a 2 seater at the second row, however, this is not to deter you from Ertiga. You should see your family's accommodating in the rear seat and how and then take a call.

Tell you what, if 6th is not a concern, Etios VD fits perfectly practically in your requirements and budget but at the same time you are averse to the interiors. Let me also highlight that, it was the only sedan I saw in majority in Ladakh since you talk of the bad roads. The new suspension is firmer too to stop it from too much sagging.

3. Not the correct measure to judge as you laid out your requirements, seems to me it is a need based upgrade and not just upgrade for fancy.

Last edited by parsh : 20th July 2013 at 11:02. Reason: spell correction and some addition
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:59   #130
BHPian

1. Xylo: image issues for a consultant physician, I have used it and I didn't find it in acceptable comfort zone. Never driven it though.
2. Scorpio :Slightly better but similar issues,
3. Every time one occupant will be a toddler, so not much of an issue with carrying her in lap with occasional 6th person. So a spacious 5 seater would be okay.
4. Ford ES: took a TD , Can we call it an upgrade over medium sized hatchback ? Purely in terms of space ? The back seat is same as Ritz.
5. Quanto : should be considered I think, though , looks put me off
6. Duster and Etios Sedan are the Strongest contenders I think.

Replying from a mobile device so unable to multi quote the posts ; Kindly bear with me.
Maruti influenced my buying decision by giving a practical hatchback in the form of Ritz 3 years ago, and now Ertiga; Again pure practicality nothing else.
Happy with Ritz all these years (3yrs 40k kms) , never had to visit service station other than for the regular maintenance.

Wife's suggestion is good too, keep using Ritz and rent a Verito or Innova as and when required. But the itch to upgrade. ..
Old 20th July 2013, 11:07   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, your two shortlisted cars are good. Suggest you compare the two in all aspects - features, comfort, price, etc., and take your pick.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:35   #132
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Quote:
6. Duster and Etios Sedan are the Strongest contenders I think.

Since you are going to be chauffeured around 50% time, I feel Etios Sedan would be a bad choice. The rear seat is absolutely flat & pathetic in terms of support, they accommodate 3 persons but not a comfortable place to be.

Why are you not considering the SX4 ZDi ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:21   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Since you are going to be chauffeured around 50% time, I feel Etios Sedan would be a bad choice. The rear seat is absolutely flat & pathetic in terms of support, they accommodate 3 persons but not a comfortable place to be.

Why are you not considering the SX4 ZDi ?
Yes I am still considering SX4 too,
Bit above 11L OTR, with discounts it will be just less than 11L i guess.
I felt that slightly bumpy ride quality at lower speeds. Dealer was offering a 2012 model zdi for 9.6 L . Is it a good deal?

Resale value after 4 yrs will be less than Ertiga's.
SX4 somehow didn't click
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:07   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins

Quote:
Dealer was offering a 2012 model zdi for 9.6 L . Is it a good deal?
Resale value after 4 yrs will be less than Ertiga's.
SX4 somehow didn't click
If you are interested you can try negotiating with dealer bit more on the 2012 model. We are already 7 months in to 2013 so dealer does not much space for negotiation.
If you are thinking about resale value SX4 may not be the best car, more so after 4 years (as mentioned by you) since by then new model of SX4 would have come to India.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:29   #135
BHPian

Had there been a new sx4 in market it would have been a good alternative. We know that a face lift is long overdue.

Whatever amount I'd save today in buying SX4 over Ertiga will have to be paid as a poor resale later. Tata Aria is also just out of budget i think.

11.5L OTR can't be extended further. Innova is out of question. Awaiting a TD for Duster. . 3 days ; not a good response from the marketing team of Renault. .