Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 11th October 2012, 18:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SUV Portfolio Churn

Sell the TCIC Safari as well as the Scorp. Use the dough to pick up a Yeti 4x4 (for weekend jaunts) and a Duster (for wife if she does not want a sedan/hatch - will be much more fun in city than the Scorp).

Last edited by cool_dube : 11th October 2012 at 18:11.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 10:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Adi, to keep confusions at minimal, i guess your original Plan A is the best, simply swap the old safari with its new counterpart. And with the reported much shorter turning radius of the Storme, i guess this won't be that impractical as a city drive vehicle as your present one.
P.S: Hope TATA does the pricing of the Storme with some sanity!
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 13:08   #18
BHPian

Great thread this. (i am myself looking for a new SUV which drew me into this thread).

if you can wait for some time, I suggest you should. the time will give you an opinion on how the Storme is. if the reviews and initial feedback is satisfactory - sell Safari and get Storme. To me that looks to be best scenario.
maven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 16:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Yup, the 2.2 engine is nice. I have TD'ed the Aria to get a feel of it and it felt good.

Oct 17 will hopefully have some good news for me in terms of pricing!
Okie, so here is someone who is pretty much on the same boat as I am, apart from the fact that I m looking for ONE vehicle to replace Hariya, but leisurely.

The Storme has me impressed too and I am waiting for the launch with bated breath. 13 lac ex showroom for the Vx 4WD and I m booking one in silver.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 17:54   #20
AVR
BHPian

It so happened that yesterday a friend got the 110 Duster top-end variant and I took it for a drive. Given that many people recommended it, I was having a look at it till the Storme gets launched.

Duster Pros:
- Nice to drive, handle. People talk about Turbo-lag on the 110 but I think its easier for a driver to adapt to the vehicle than the other way around so didn't think much of that.
- Felt more spacious/airy than the Scorpio (no statistics just perception)
- Reminded me of our Tucson (That's another SUV in the family ) in size, handling and big-sized rear.

Duster Cons:
- 13L for that. Maybe a perception issue, but I guess you can get more car for that much (More in terms of features (Verna), interior quality (Verna), space (Safari)
- The rear is rather awkward with that AC vent protusion between the front seats. Seems like an after-thought (Hangover from past relationship with MM who excel at that!)

Would I? Most likely no. Might tick most boxes on a brochure but it doesn't tug at the heart for me.

Oct 17th isn't far!
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 22:06   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can indeed go for the Storm suggest you sell the current Safari, keep the Scorpio and later when possible get the Thar. .

Scorpio should make for a better second reliable vehicle after the Storm (if you do go for it even if you spend a large sum on the TCIC Safari. Will not really comment on the Jeep as those who require it in their life just do and no logic will ever work.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 13:54   #22
BHPian

Storme prices announced. 4 x 2: 9.95 to 12.37; 4 x 4: 13.66 ex showroom Delhi.

now we have one piece of the puzzle; the remaining one is how the Storme rides.
maven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 13:06   #23
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I was looking forward to the Storme keenly but am now stuck in a dilemma. The LX variant takes care of most of my needs. Maybe I'd go for the EX but unfortunately going for the VX 4x4 is a bit far out in terms of budget. I don't want a 2wd Storme and I can't afford a 4wd Storme which would end up in the 15L region. Just hoping that lightning strikes and a TML exec thinks about offering a LX 4x4. That would be a killer combination, though, I don't know how many people like me exist who would want the 4wd badly in a LX. There must be a few, given that the Scorpio started offering that option a while back.
Cross-posting from the Storme thread. Sometimes when you are fairly clear about the model, the variants can get you

Approx VX 4x4 price in A'bad would be 15.70 on-road. That's a lot of money. Maybe I should sell all my vehicles and the neighbour's too
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote