Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 6th February 2009, 17:39   #31
BHPian

Default Which SUV? - A template

Hi,

My purchase decision on the Tata Safari (Petrol - Exi 4x4)(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1130592) was largely aided by test reports I saw in the auto magazines of SUVs available then in July 2004. I transformed what I read into a spreadsheet that enabled me do a desktop comparison on what's inside each vehicle. For consistency sake, I used the same auto magazine test results to complete the analysis.

I gained in wholesome proportions with this template: Automobile engineering conceptual knowledge; Outsmarted the dealers (they're the pits anyway!); translate reported data during test drives etc.

I have now given a reasonable shot to update that template for fellow bhpians and is attached below. This template is not complete though and needs a lot more build. (for e.g. there is no information on: certain vehicles currently in the market , warranty, financing options, spares and services costs etc.) but it is definitely a kick-off template. Hopefully someone will already find this useful whilst others will have the time to update it continually for the benefit of everyone.

Do condone for any errors in the data - greying hair, reading glasses and spirited 50k-kms driving all over India can have its toll!

Happy reading,
Ram
Attached Files
File Type: xls SUV__Analysis.xls (47.5 KB, 434 views)
ram2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 19:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Just coming back to this thread, it is now nearly 2 yrs since you posted this response. Is the Ikon still in the stable or has been replaced by something that you, initially were looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels View Post
Hi.. thanks a lot for your replies guys. As of now I have not bought any vehicle so far.. I guess I will wait for the Fortuner / RAV4 or maybe I would go in for a good used Safari / Forester in the meantime..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 19:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram, that is a neat compilation detailing almost all features of the vehicles. I'm not a great petrol head, but after going through the details of the first four diesels, Safari 2.2 is a great VFM vehicle on a point-to-point comparison with Endy & Pajero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2004 View Post
Hi,

I gained in wholesome proportions with this template: Automobile engineering conceptual knowledge; Outsmarted the dealers (they're the pits anyway!); translate reported data during test drives etc.

I have now given a reasonable shot to update that template for fellow bhpians and is attached below. This template is not complete though and needs a lot more build. (for e.g. there is no information on: certain vehicles currently in the market , warranty, financing options, spares and services costs etc.) but it is definitely a kick-off template. Hopefully someone will already find this useful whilst others will have the time to update it continually for the benefit of everyone.

Do condone for any errors in the data - greying hair, reading glasses and spirited 50k-kms driving all over India can have its toll!

Happy reading,
Ram
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Just coming back to this thread, it is now nearly 2 yrs since you posted this response. Is the Ikon still in the stable or has been replaced by something that you, initially were looking for?
@gd1418 - I bought a new Safari Dicor 3.0L wayback in 2006 itself which has done about 50K till now and yes, the Ikon is still in the stable
girlieonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote