Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Your Choice?
Ford EcoSport 408 76.55%
Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:18   #136
BHPian
 
AdiSinghV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BOM-CCU-DEL-PAT
Posts: 513
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

The Duster is more of a matured classic SUV whereas the Ecosport is more like a modern, urban chic's ride... Short stance, wide body proportions and muscles all over make the Duster a well proportioned classic compact SUV. To come to a brief conclusion, lets just say that the Duster is more of a BlackBerry, if the EcoSport is a Sony Ericsson. It looks very modern and urban and if we come to the interior design and features of the EcoSport, it remains unparalleled in comparison to the Duster. Though after all this, my pick would still be the Duster coz I have already picked it LOL! Cheers!
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 01:09   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

I have voted for the ECO Sport because of its almost car like nature to drive. Light Clutch, Superb steering and lot of goodies, not to mention the brilliant ground clearance + excellent wading depth. In the looks department, Duster looks like a big brother while Eco sport looks like its cute little sister. The looks won't go down well with the Machoist Indian public me thinks. The centre spare wheel too looks odd in a crowd where we are used to seeing the spares on SUV's on the side of the rear door. The Diesel 90 bhp too won't win any prizes in any department.

I think ECO sport will just about manage to cause a minor dent to the Duster.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:11   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

You are right. But what ACM meant, I think, was that the pricey Fortuner comes with conventional Torque Converter(TC) AT whereas Ecosport comes with lightning quick (compared to TC/CVT gear-boxes) AT. None of the Japanese cars have DCT or DSG. They are still stuck with TCs and CVTs. Don't know why. TC/CVTs do not transmit all the power to the wheels like DSGs and DCTs do. I recently drove a 3L AT Accord and I wondered where were all the horses hiding. This car makes 225 BHP but felt a lot slower. It is about time Japanese learnt from Europeans. If Lauras and VW GT TSI Polos are any indication, I 'm sure Ecosport will be a scorcher. Now, the only problem is, Ford appears to be clueless as to when they will launch AT.
I keep mentioning every now and then, that these Japanese manufacturers offer very little for the kind of prices they charge. The Fortuner, CRV and many other vehicles from Japanese manufacturers are way to expensive here in India and it is only our blind Indian bias plus a perceived reliability or shall I say 'infallibility' factor that makes us run after them...
One of the reasons for the higher prices of CBU's and perhaps to an extent, the CKD's is the strong Japanese Yen. Yet, even taking that into consideration, the Japanese vehicles in India are really extracting a 'Premium' in terms of pricing, from the Indian consumer who has not woken up yet. One day, we will realize that these idols also have feet of clay...or, more aptly, wheels of clay, given that these are automobiles.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd July 2013 at 07:13.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 08:34   #139
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I wish Skoda notice this mad rush for small crossovers in India (Duster last year, and now the Ecosport). They can actually think of discontinuing the current 4x2 variant (110ps)of the Yeti, and launch a couple of new FWD variants with the 1.2TSI and 1.6 TDI (petrol and diesel respectively). It can easily overlap the current price range of the Duster. The 1.2 TSI may look small on paper, but actually is quite a popular option for the Yeti worldwide, especially with the 7-speed DSG.
I was really hoping to see this happen. Esp given the fact that Europe has a 1.2 TSI version available. In fact almost a year before the Renault Duster launch quite many statements were being made about the same. However at that time frame, the option of a 1.6D seemed more prominent, as the engine was available then and not the TSI. But neither happened. Skoda had (and still have) a perfect killer combination which can decimate Renault and to a certain extent the Ecosport. But somehow they never chose to go with it.

Why do I say "to a certain extent" for the Ecosport ? Because come what may, I dont think 1.6D Yeti can ever be priced in the range as Ecosport. I would have expected it to be priced exactly like the current Duster. Topping at 14-15L OTR Bangalore. Almost just a criss cross of the territory where the pricing of the 2L trims begin.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:30   #140
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 37
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

So that means to guage VFM, all we have to check is how many people can a car seat? According to this logic the XUV being a 7 seater should be way more VFM than a Duster being a 5 seater now that both the cars cost almost the same, the XUV doesnt even look small and has tons of space every where.

The Polo TSI is a 4 seater and costs almost 9.5 lakhs, i20 costs 9 lakhs and even it can seat 4 people so both are overpriced. If seating people were the main criteria then all should buy a Scorpio or Safari.

Where does Duster stand in front of a XUV (not comparing to Ecosport as you say they are from different segments because duster can seat 5), its small, no features, has 2 seats less, way less space, poor feature list and non existent service network). It still sells more than XUV right? So seating 5 people or seating 7 people is not aam junta's priority, for people VFM is a host of other factors.

The Ecosport may be a hatch on steeroids but then its atleast priced like one, the duster isnt a full blown suv either with its fair share of negatives but is it priced like one, its going bang into the xuv territory. Lets see how many people spend that 3 L on the car just because its little bigger and can seat "5" adults.

Actually ,once the Ford pricing was revealed , similar segments felt the heat.....

Hyundai : I20 (Uber Cool) => Felt the Heat
VW Polo : felt like a "Mint with a hole"
Renault Duster: Dust getting wiped
Honda : was Amazed.....the list goes on..
Travelocity is offline  
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:18   #141
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 152
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

So that means to guage VFM, all we have to check is how many people can a car seat? According to this logic the XUV being a 7 seater should be way more VFM than a Duster being a 5 seater now that both the cars cost almost the same, the XUV doesnt even look small and has tons of space every where.
Precisely. VFM is upto an individual's choice and cannot be a generic term. Hence, when you casually throw around the word VFM, you are actually referring to what's VFM for you and not necessarily for the entire world.

I used that term just to get a reaction so that you understand that VFM is an Individual thing so paying extra for space could be VFM for me while paying extra for some blingy gadgets could be VFM for someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

We cant assume that family buying EcoSport will all be overweight and hence only 4 can fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Now this is getting a little bit annoying, no offence brother, but ES is not a 4 seater, . Only if you throw in 3 healthy 6 footers of African origin you will feel lack of adequate width. Even then it would not be so uncomfortable.
Actually on hindsight with 3 healthy 6 footers of African origin, you can still accommodate 2 Koreans. . On a serious note, it is indeed BAD for 3 AVERAGE Indians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Just wanted to present some facts when people want to pass unverified comments on a product because they own the competing product.. Wonder how many of those claiming EcoSport is not good/vfm even sat in one..
Also appreciate the non partisan and dispassionate way in which you bring about your differences.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd July 2013 at 15:05. Reason: doing some cleaning up. Let's not get personal.
engrohit is offline  
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:29   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 623 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Actually on hindsight with 3 healthy 6 footers of African origin, you can still accommodate 2 Koreans. . On a serious note, it is indeed BAD for 3 AVERAGE Indians.
I have two Dusters in my family and i have personally checked out EcoSport. If you cant seat 5 in Ecosport, they are not going to be happy in Swift/i20,Figo etc. Or for that matter Duster either, because Duster rear leg room is much lesser compared to that of EcoSport(I wish they had pushed back the seats or give sliding options).

If you look at the car buying trend of Average Indian, you typically see Either small hatch or hatch like Swift/i20/Figo. and even include so called sedans. And we all happily seat 5-6-7 in these cars.

So without getting any more racial , i feel same number of people can sit in EcoSport just like any other sub-10 lakh car.
rajshenoy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:07   #143
BHPian
 
eq24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Crazy-gaon, NCR
Posts: 376
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Precisely. VFM is upto an individual's choice and cannot be a generic term.
Very Well put there.

See I understand your defense of the Duster and not just defense you must be definitely liking the Duster, otherwise you would never have bought it in the first place. It is natural to defend ones belongings, I own a Fortuner, now some one can give me all the song and dance of how good a Pajero or a Santa Fe is, I would still maintain that the Fortuner is the best thing to have happened to SUV's in India. Although I secretly always hope that the Fortuner should have a more comfortable ride(Pajero) or some more gizmos won't hurt(Santa Fe). But I never put this up openly. I refer to one as Korean crap and the other as a failed Japanese.

Now coming back to point. Don't you think that at the price they are selling the Ecosport it is indeed not very expensive. That they are giving more technology and gadgets in there which not a lot of cars give.

Don't you wish that the Duster was a little bit more plush in the inside and the interiors did not look dated. And do you honestly feel that the price you were charged for it was a good metric of what you were offered. Just as an example that seat adjustment metal thing in the Duster is something which trucks use. A car which is being celebrated the world over as frugal is being championed of at such exorbitant rates in India. Do you see nothing fundamentally wrong with that.

There might be a day when Ford overprices for the Ecosport and I will be the first to show it the finger but till that day the Ecosport is a slightly better product than the Duster at least on the Pricing front, if nothing else. You may not want to agree but I hope you think about this.
eq24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:59   #144
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 324
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

I really appreciate Renault for the Branding they have managed with the duster.
They have sold the "World's cheapest SUV in India at a premium" (Tata please poach the branding head from Renault to position your cars)

As for my personal view, I seriously dont think that Duster is a Value for money offering. When I say Value for Money, I compare the car with similarly priced products on their strengths

Features - i20/Micra
Space / Seating - Scorpio / Safari / Ertiga
Mileage - K2K vs MJD
Looks - Safari / Scorpio
Safety - i20

Thus (my personal view) Duster is not even a jack of all trades, plus has very high relative costs. But I have voted for Duster here, as I do not like the looks of the ecosport. I find Duster's styling timeless..
2000rpm is offline  
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:09   #145
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

It would very interesting to see when Maruti launches the XA-1 with 1.3L Diesel. And knowing what Maruti can do, I am very sure (guesstimating), it would undercut every one in the game !

Today a top end Duster 85 costs 13.5+ OTR Bangalore. A top end Ecosport costs about 11 OTR Bangalore. (Correct me if I am wrong here). Maruti if they price their X-over top end around 9-10 OTR Bangalore, we will surely see amazing trends. I think they wont mind pricing it alongside the Ertiga because, both the products would cater to a different segment. Definitions of the term VFM would be re-defined.

Of course its always good for the consumer to have choices.
ampere is offline  
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:18   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
I used that term just to get a reaction so that you understand that VFM is an Individual thing so paying extra for space could be VFM for me while paying extra for some blingy gadgets could be VFM for someone else.
Oh i see. Seems that Ford's pricing of Ecosport has really touched some nerves, especially those owning a Duster. Which essentially means people spending on blingy gadgets should be happy while some should stay happy with their 5 seats, 5 seaters should stop going on every thread and posting the same thing again and again about "choti" etc, we can discuss other things too.

And learn to respect other forum members choice, if one bought a Fabia and its discontinued, its none of your business, you should not make fun of it (least expected from a tbhpian), personal attacks on team bhp are never allowed, we can have endless pages of discussions where one can make fun of duster while other can make fun of Ecosport, they are both good in their own ways so lets stop these biased discussions.

If you bought a Duster, accept the fact that it was your choice and you are happy with your decision, i can sense insecurity in all your posts, you are just posting with a motive to badmouth Ecosport because you own a Duster.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 2nd July 2013 at 14:19.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:24   #147
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 152
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Or for that matter Duster either, because Duster rear leg room is much lesser compared to that of EcoSport(I wish they had pushed back the seats or give sliding options).

So without getting any more racial , i feel same number of people can sit in EcoSport just like any other sub-10 lakh car.
I agree about the lesser leg room in Duster and definitely they could have done better there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Very Well put there.

Now coming back to point. Don't you think that at the price they are selling the Ecosport it is indeed not very expensive. That they are giving more technology and gadgets in there which not a lot of cars give.

A car which is being celebrated the world over as frugal is being championed of at such exorbitant rates in India. Do you see nothing fundamentally wrong with that.

There might be a day when Ford overprices for the Ecosport and I will be the first to show it the finger but till that day the Ecosport is a slightly better product than the Duster at least on the Pricing front, if nothing else. You may not want to agree but I hope you think about this.
I fully agree to your views about Duster Pricing. I bought mine at the launch price and trust me with the increase later on I would not have even touched it, as it just looses the VFM tag at today's prices.

At the Same time I feel Ecosport is an excellent car in it's own right and not ONLY because it is cheaper than Duster. It must get credit for all the good things that the Car has and the price comparison with Duster, as highlighted here time and again, should not take away all the sheen from it.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd July 2013 at 15:08. Reason: cleaned up the quoted post hence deleting it from this post.
engrohit is offline  
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:39   #148
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

WoW! Thats a whooping 2.5 Lakh price difference

I think Renault-Nissan would work out a healthy strategy with the price for the upcoming Nissan Terrano which is a badge engineered Duster, but that might just kill the Duster!

Ford has put Renault-Nissan in an interesting situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Today a top end Duster 85 costs 13.5+ OTR Bangalore. A top end Ecosport costs about 11 OTR Bangalore
anachronix is online now  
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:43   #149
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
WoW! Thats a whooping 2.5 Lakh price difference
Truly its that big a gap. The best they can achieve is get Duster to its introductory pricing and introduce Terrano at the current price. But of course they make sure that do they add some thing for the consumer who is ready to pay that price.

But in spite of that you would see at least 1L price difference between the Duster and Ecosport comparable top ends. (90 Vs 85bhp).
ampere is offline  
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:54   #150
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
. One day, we will realize that these idols also have feet of clay...or, more aptly, wheels of clay, given that these are automobiles.
Let me put things in a different perspective. When you go to a restaurant, you pay money for food.
A food stall can give you the same number of calories for a fraction of a price. So why do you pay more.
you may pay more because the seat is comfortable, and the AC is good and you do not sweat.
Person X may pay more because he has a weak stomach, and he is scared of diahrrea
Person Y may pay more because "At Snobworld" looks better on your facebook wall as compared to "At raju chaiwalla".

So everyone pays a premium for something or the other. Similarly in car buying some may be ready to pay premium for a vehicle which goes to service center only when service is needed.
So for each, his/her own poison!
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Key decision points for Audi A4 versus Mercedes C220 versus BMW 320D ashishkashyap Luxury, Imports & Niche 40 30th April 2017 19:35
Ford Classic Titanium or Renault Duster 85 RxE sushantr5 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 26 24th February 2013 15:03
Paid for Duster 110. GenNext Motors gave us a Duster 85 instead. EDIT : Solved (Pg 2) mohandasnikhil Indian Car Dealerships 74 7th November 2012 23:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks