Ford EcoSport 408 76.55%
Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28th July 2013, 00:13   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I can't - so won't attempt to - comment on any other merits / dismerits of either car. But they would appear to be in very different categories. An extra two seats is hardly something to wave off as an insignificant detail.

Definitely no plans to buy either, just my two cents...

Thanks,
-Eric
Eric, I agree on most of your points.

People compare these two cars, but they are not in the same category and neither are they targeted that way. While eco sport is eating into the market space of hatch buyers, the Duster is biting into SUV space. They are priced that way too.

EcoSport is not a crossover. The interior space is not large enough. For God sake how many water bottles are you supposed to carry?
The feature list matches the high end hatch and sedans. The interior has a more premium feel. Then you want to go for a long drive for couple days holiday, there is no space for luggage.

Duster is more rugged. Absorbs the road imperfections better. Has a good boot space and comfortable seating. The large windows give it a open feel and the vehicle actually feels larger than it's seating dimensions. Recently I see Duster doing well in remote hill towns, which were the dominance of Scorpio and Bolero. In cities it is giving XUV a run for its money, although I personally consider XUV better at the higher price band for the list of features and interiors.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 05:33   #242
BHPian

Just over a month & 25 pages later, my vote still goes to the EcoSport. But honestly, the % is definitely shifting towards the Duster. Reasons being:
A. After seeing more than a couple of EcoSports on the road, amongst traffic, the first thing that pops in mind now is "doesn't look like an suv, no way. Looks just like any other premium hatch". No longer am I being 'blown away' by its looks anymore.
B. I am a music lover. Twin subs, amps, power capacitor & rear speakers are the first few things that go into any car I own. Unfortunately, just these by themselves would end up eating away nearly all of the boot space in the EcoSport :(( This would be especially important since this vehicle would be used for outstation trips & with virtually nil space available for luggage!
Now, A + B = me starting to see the positives of the Duster.
But, & its a big but, the interior quality, lack of creature comforts + the ridiculously high price (now that the EcoSport has set a benchmark) of the Duster still make me cry & thus my money simply refuses to part ways with my wallet.
I'm next upgrade would definitely be either of these, I'm just holding off the purchase till the refreshed version of Duster (hopefully with better fit & finish) is launched, again hopefully in early 2014.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 07:49   #243
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Besides the other points discussed. After 1 year of ownership, the "hot looks" novelty might ware off.
Then what really matters is ride comfort, interior space ...

So in the long run I guess spending that extra money would pay off.

Just my 2cents

Last edited by Fillmore : 29th July 2013 at 07:51.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 20:43   #244
BHPian

We received the brown Duster RxL D.
Initial impressions
- tinny sounding door, don't have solid shut.
- plastic glass headlamps ???
- heavy looking car
- amazing drive on bad roads
- killer economy in SUV segment
. 19-22kmpl even before first service
- great boot
- Dual headlamps . . . You know what difference it makes on highway
it was better buy over ecosport and usage is mostly field work in talks and district areas.

I recommend buy duster, it screams WYBIWYG. You get the claimed mileage. A no nonsense car/suv.
ownerofazkaban is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 21:32   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
I recommend buy duster, it screams WYBIWYG. You get the claimed mileage. A no nonsense car/suv.
Please excuse my ignorance. Whats WYBIWYG?

The Duster Vs EcoSport polls say otherwise, but I am true fan of the Duster.
IMO, The long run maintenance for Duster will be much lower then the EcoSport. For a rough and tough vehicle, it should have a minimalistic approach, which the Duster has. Too many sensors and electronics of EcoSport will take its toll.

One of the marketing pitch given to me was that Renault wants to compete with Maruti on spare part prices and they want to be low on maintenance. I didnt buy it, but looking at the sales volume, its a possibility. Specially when Renault wants to localize its production to the max.

Renault is commanding a premium price for Duster no doubt. Ford will make it up with EcoSport in service and maintenance
Old 30th July 2013, 16:36   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Please excuse my ignorance. Whats WYBIWYG?
Even I did not know that.
Google Answers: "What You Cache Is What You Get"

Quote:
Renault is commanding a premium price for Duster no doubt. Ford will make it up with EcoSport in service and maintenance
My take is price cuts may not be on so soon (as I was thinking earlier). Renault would see sales for about another 2-3 months before deciding.

Ford has a reputation for high maintenance. They have been trying to shake it off comparing the Figo service Vs Swift. But dont know what is the take on the new Fiesta.

For Renault, Logan maintenance is I think quite controlled. So hopefully Duster should follow the same way. Any cosmetic part change is costly for either.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:10   #247
BHPian

Well, I was so gung-ho about the Ecosport launch and was considering it as a potentail replacement for my Punto. But all this were only till I saw the car in flesh.

To sum it up in one word - I was Dissapointed!!

The Ecosport is nothing but an hatchback. I could not see it as anything other than an hatchback, so not wanting to waste my time, I just returned to my Punto.

Off goes Ecosport from my list permanently!
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 22:31   #248
BHPian

WYBIWYG - I meant to say what you buy is what you get. (no surprises like mktg bulls*** etc)

This is based on Figo experience where the economy etc was big surprise. Am reading that somebody got 10-12kmpl and folks asking to wait for first service etc. No such bull with Duster.... first tank full ... bang on money - 21kmpl

>>>Renault is commanding a premium price for Duster no doubt. Ford will make it up with EcoSport in service and maintenance

I would doubt that, based on my Figo service experience, vis-a-vis, Swift - Figo service cost is not high, including several parts I have changed on my car in 55k of ownership.

Specifically in Ecosport vs Duster, given our needs [ exchanged Vista did 100K kms in 3.5 yrs ] - all field work in really bad country, Duster wins in ride quality and boot space for carrying luggage (deliver goods vs commercial transport) along with the rugged ride experience. Having said that, the body/doors are tinny sounding. I really mean it when I found Alto800 doors shut with that nice thud. Its a bit weird experience.

>>>The Duster Vs EcoSport polls say otherwise, but I am true fan of the Duster.

I am a huge Ford fan, but I agreed with family when decision was Duster. Duster won hands down. The needs are different for me vs my family member. However Ecosport is still my next upgrade potential for Figo as my needs are aligned more towards urban jungle type.

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 30th July 2013 at 22:36.
Old 30th July 2013, 22:52   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Ford has a reputation for high maintenance. They have been trying to shake it off comparing the Figo service Vs Swift. But dont know what is the take on the new Fiesta.
It used to be, but its changing, and for the better. I suggest you take a look at MAS' thread to get an idea of New Fiesta's servicing cost. It looked economical to me when compared to how much the competition costs. If anything, the Ecosport will cost the same if not more.
Old 30th July 2013, 23:21   #250
BHPian

Quote:
>>>Renault is commanding a premium price for Duster no doubt. Ford will make it up with EcoSport in service and maintenance

I would doubt that, based on my Figo service experience, vis-a-vis, Swift - Figo service cost is not high, including several parts I have changed on my car in 55k of ownership.
Figo is a volume bread winner for Ford. The spare costs will be low because of the volumes. Not the case with EcoSport.
EcoSport has competition from Sedans and Hatchback alike. They have entered the market with low cost on premium interior and loads of equipments. It will take its toll somewhere.

Duster on the other hand is the volume bread winner for Renault. Nissan is joining the game. Renault-Nissan is targeting 94% localization by 2014 (Renault Nissan Alliance Discovery Tour) within India. Less dependency on imports. Two companies selling similar product = easy spares availability. Not today but soon once the logistics stabilizes. Its just a year old infant now.
Old 31st July 2013, 00:12   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Duster wins in ride quality and boot space for carrying luggage (deliver goods vs commercial transport) along with the rugged ride experience.
+1 to luggage space. Had to carry a 7x3 foot semi-flexible fiber sheet from the hardware store to my place today. Was optimistic that it would fit into my friend's i20. Well it did, but not without us having to lower the front seat backs, with me lying flat on the front passenger side and my friend driving around in 2nd gear (couldn't change gears as the sheet prevented any gear change whatsoever) sitting like an auto-rickshaw driver who had piled on 2 passengers besides him.
That made me think, EcoSport is no bigger than an i20. Hmmmm... Duster scores.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 10:26   #252
Senior - BHPian

After seeing the EcoSport - I choose Duster. As the EcoSport with all that it has is a FAR cry from even being close to an SUV.

Having said that. The EcoSport does do great in the trim, fit & finish and a more car like feel.

The Duster is sure not a full blown SUV but does the job perfectly well. Wish it had a 4x4 though, even as an option.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 11:15   #253
BHPian

I have to admit that I was very excited about the EcoSport in the run-up to the launch. But now having seen a few examples on the road, it does not cut the ice with me personally!
The Duster looks more SUVish, the Ecosport is just another hatch only taller stance!

Having said I would not plonk my money on any of these options. The Ecosport looks smallish and the Duster is horribly overpriced! I would stay away from both and wait to see if other manufacturers are lining up their wares in this category.

X-Alpha anyone?
Old 31st July 2013, 11:22   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Well, I was so gung-ho about the Ecosport launch and was considering it as a potentail replacement for my Punto. But all this were only till I saw the car in flesh.

To sum it up in one word - I was Dissapointed!!

The Ecosport is nothing but an hatchback. I could not see it as anything other than an hatchback, so not wanting to waste my time, I just returned to my Punto.

Off goes Ecosport from my list permanently!
I strongly suggest you take a second look and avoid judging the car purely on its appearance. There is more to it than just looks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I do not like the way EcoSport looks at all. It does look like a hatchback that's suffering from some sort of food-related allergic-reaction. It's swollen in all the wrong places! It reminds me of a blowfish..

But that doesn't mean it's a bad car. In fact, it's quite the package, especially when you consider the price-tag it comes with.
Old 31st July 2013, 15:14   #255
BHPian

The day I went to TD the Ecosport, I had met a guy who had come there in a Duster.
I just went to him and told " I would like you to take a test drive ahead of me and just let me know what's your opinion.I would rather listen to you than these sales people out here"
He took a drive of about 10 km . I was sitting beside him.Oh boy,what a drive.I haven't seen someone driving a vehicle like that.The sales guy sitting behind was speechless.In that 15 minutes,he did what all you can do to a car - accelerating,breaking suddenly,overtaking (DANGEROUSLY!)...
At the end he just told " Go ahead and book it.The pluses i see for duster is only with the boot space and good drivability in the highways.(he owned a 110 PS Duster).But for everything else - the ergonomics,the control,the looks ..the Ecosport is better.And he told that driving a 110 PS Duster in the city is a pain
He told another thing also - " When you're down and out after work , the insides of duster is not the place you'd love to be.It's bland and boring.Nothing inspires you"

That night I parted with Rs 50000/-
And today here I am - driving a Mars Red Ecosport..Satisfied to the core

PS - We got introduced after the drive.He was also an Orthopedic surgeon from a nearby place.Even today, I owe my Ecosport experience to him
jojoinassi is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread