Ford EcoSport 408 76.55%
Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2013, 14:09   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
The day I went to TD the Ecosport, I had met a guy who had come there in a Duster.
===============
PS - We got introduced after the drive.He was also an Orthopedic surgeon from a nearby place.Even today, I owe my Ecosport experience to him
Good work! Golden words right from the horse's mouth. Can't argue with that. Arrrgh, if only Renault would reduce the price for Duster.
Old 1st August 2013, 19:19   #257
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

I guess we need to note if I am not incorrect that both the vehicles being compared have a 4X4 option available abroad, though not in India. Just having it in India would change perception and reaction of people towards the two vehicles a fair bit, though obviously that variant would not really sell in worthwhile numbers. Duster still might bring the 4X4 here but EcoSport is not likely to.

EcoSport seems to be winning the debate here by a fair margin and yet it does not need to as there is space for both vehicles and their customers. The Duster with a refresh can appear to be better value and that is likely next year or in Nissan form.

While EcoSport has the higher GC, Duster has a better rough road ride. currently neither have 4X4/AWD and just having it would let that vehicle possibly claim to be a better offroader . The EcoSport though does have the AT and the a lot more safety gear as well as ESP, EPS, TC, EBD, in the AT and that if one looks at the site lets them claim it for the range though they don't seem to have delivered a single AT as yet. Basically a vehicle needs it's shouting points. How many will necessarily buy the top variants in either vehicles and how many will buy a Petrol Duster or an AT EcoSport. Actually we don't know what percentage buy the 110 bhp Duster vs the 85 bhp.

Just some points above - Mean nothing either way in favour of or against either vehicles.
Old 1st August 2013, 22:31   #258
BHPian

And little did i know that night , that i would eventually shell out less money than i had thought i would be, for owning this beauty.

For the price difference i saved - at least 2 lakhs (when compared to an equal specs duster), I will be able to run and maintain this vehicle for 3-4 years

Isn't that a valuable proposition ?? ( if you can forget that enormous boot !!)
jojoinassi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 11:37   #259
Senior - BHPian

I've been seeing a lot of those Chocolate Brown Dusters on the roads, parking lots, malls and restaurants these days. It's a fantastic little SUV, if you may call it one, but from a practical perspective and the realistic/affordable pricing offered on the Ecosport, however much I hate it being called a mini-SUV, I would have to agree with the masses!

If I were in the market for a tall SUV'ish like car, I'd pick the Ecosport myself.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 5th August 2013 at 11:38.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:55   #260
BHPian

I see the Duster numbers falling to 1500 or less. Anyone in the market today is going to compare the 2 and while the the Ecosport has shortcomings the 2-3 lakhs gap is too much to expect Duster to prevail.

Renault have effectively shot themselves in their foot with their initial greed and its extremely difficult to correct a 2-3 lakh gap, the higher versions are now 13-15 lakhs and the lower versions represent poor value.

The Duster was designed to be cheap and cheerful and does not look or feel like a 13-15 lakhs vehicle on the road, it can't be what it is not.

I personally find the Ecoport a bit quirky, the length, width and height seem to be somewhat out of sync. But from inside its surprisingly good. Feels like a proper modern car that one would expect today. Good modern build quality, all the plastics and switches feel right, the seats are comfortable and the back seat is spacious enough, nowhere near claustrophobic that one would expect looking at the car from outside. It doesn't feel a cut price cheap vehicle and represents tremendously good value.

Of course the Duster has better ride quality, is larger and wider and the 110 is a 6 speed with plenty of power on tap, but its interiors and price let it down in the face of competition.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 13:48   #261
BHPian

Let’s see, which of these cars can drive 5 fully grown adults through craters on road and hill drives, with weekend luggage on a 5hr journey.

My feeler is the ride quality matters any day. How good a vehicle can smother the bad roads. The Duster can dismiss bad roads with ease while driving single or fully loaded.
It has all the essentials pre-loaded. The ergo might look odd but you soon get used to it, just like driving a vehicle with indicator stubs on the right or left side, some you push, some you turn. Not a big deal, every car has its own ways of doing things.

As for interior you can always change to suit. Look at DC design for a 3.49L package. That's an overkill though. However the overall nature of the vehicle to take on the roads cannot be altered much. Even tyre pressure matters.

A tough vehicle needs to depend more on mechanicals rather than electronics, that’s what the Duster does. It’s like the highly refined Bolero on Indian roads. Does the job well.

Is the price justified? may be, may not be. It depends on what your requirements are. I feel Duster justified its price compared to the SUVs in the market, specially the ride and comfort department (bounce and body roll).
If you are a family of four, you don’t need an SUV for day to day travels.[FONT=Wingdings][/FONT]

The GC really helps when you load the boot with luggage and seats with people, that’s when the ride and handling matters.

For me the Duster wins hands down. The moment you start driving, the extra money paid feels worth it.

Just my 2 cents
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 15:21   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
And little did i know that night , that i would eventually shell out less money than i had thought i would be, for owning this beauty....
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I see the Duster numbers falling to 1500 or less. Anyone in the market today is going to compare the 2 and while the the Ecosport has shortcomings the 2-3 lakhs gap is too much to expect Duster to prevail.....
I guess many of use completely agree with your views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Let’s see, which of these cars can drive 5 fully grown adults through craters on road and hill drives, with weekend luggage on a 5hr journey.

My feeler is the ride quality matters any day. How good a vehicle can smother the bad roads. The Duster can dismiss bad roads with ease while driving single or fully loaded.
Spoken like a true-blue Duster fan I too absolutely love the Duster, esp in terms of the space that it offers and the sheer go-anywhere ruggedness that comes with it.
Agreed, that Duster is a truer SUV than the EcoSport. But, it is seriously overpriced man, and not just by a few thousand rupees. A full 2 to 2.5 big ones. Now, we Indians will still pay that extra moolah, but in return the least that we can expect is decent quality interiors with a few (if not all) modern tech/gizmos that are now available in the competition.

It is here where the EcoSport makes up massive ground and leaves competition in the Dust-er! Sure we can get used to the no-nonsense non-gadgetrized iffy interiors, updrage/modify them as much as we like, but then why do WE have to do it, especially when Renault can easily do a better job themselves in the first place.

I say, don't drop the prices, but do a better job in the interior department. That is sure to make the EcoSport sweat bullets.

Looking forward to the 2014 refreshed version of the Duster myself. That's when it'll be a fair fight & i'll make my final decision.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th August 2013 at 20:07. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 5th August 2013, 17:23   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Looking forward to the 2014 refreshed version of the Duster myself. That's when it'll be a fair fight & i'll make my final decision.
Now that EcoSport is out in the market, Nissan Terrano might bridge that gap. They seem to be working on both interiors along with the exteriors.

Also while comparing we should do an Apple to Apple and compare the 85ps Duster and not the 110ps. EcoSport is 90ps.

Not that 85 is an less but between siblings the 110 is a great highway runner.

Last edited by HillMan : 5th August 2013 at 17:53.
Old 5th August 2013, 19:37   #264
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you are a family of four, you don’t need an SUV for day to day travels
Actually why should a family of 4 or 2+ 1 or 2 kids not want an SUVish vehicle with high ground clearance and greater water wading capability?

Why should a family of four not need an SUV for day to day travels? I have for example always had an SUV - Safari / Aria 4X4 and used it solo for more than 90% of the usage and not had more than 4+ small kid on 99.99 % of my usage.

It is finally about what one feels comfortable driving.

There is that bit of a difference between an SUV and an MUV. A MUV will always take more people but an SUV will do so in a bit more style (though not necessarily in more comfort - referring to the Innova and Fortuner example).

The Roof Rack does serve a purpose and with a roof rack in use even a alto will take enough luggage for a weeks trip for 5, let alone a weekend. It is not really necessary for keep all the bags in the vehicle dickey.

Just a different take.

Last edited by ACM : 5th August 2013 at 19:39.
Old 5th August 2013, 20:21   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Just a different take.
Pretty much agree with you ACM. You drive an SUV for the love of it. For the power and size. So you will never compare a hatch or sedans to your Safari . Because they are different.

The point I try to drive out here is, you just cant compare EcoSport to Duster. They are no way similar nor in the same segment. For that matter currently there is no other car like Duster or EcoSport.

EcoSport is a hatch on steroids while Duster is a wanna be SUV (a crossover). There is no match.

No one ever says Duster is a value for money car, because its a crossover. You like it, you buy it. The butch looks, the ride quality and space.

If you look for jazzy feature list, the sedans do much better in that category. They are fast, are feature rich and now a days with tweaked suspension they now understand the Indian roads. Their hatch variants are even better value if luggage space is not an issue.
Old 5th August 2013, 23:21   #266
BHPian

Quote:

As for interior you can always change to suit. Look at DC design for a 3.49L package. That's an overkill though. However the overall nature of the vehicle to take on the roads cannot be altered much. Even tyre pressure matters.

A tough vehicle needs to depend more on mechanicals rather than electronics, thatís what the Duster does. Itís like the highly refined Bolero on Indian roads. Does the job well.

Is the price justified? may be, may not be. It depends on what your requirements are. I feel Duster justified its price compared to the SUVs in the market, specially the ride and comfort department (bounce and body roll).
If you are a family of four, you donít need an SUV for day to day travels.

For me the Duster wins hands down. The moment you start driving, the extra money paid feels worth it.

Wow spoken like a true fan. You see there can be very little said to your comments above, the enthusiasm alone is infectious. But still a little Perspective, if I may.

You would recommend paying 3.5 lakh more for interior work on an already expensive car. Why buy the Duster then? for that kind of money I would recommend the Rexton for 17 lakh a much better and advanced product.

Tough vehicles need to depend on a lot of things than just mechanicals, for one they do really need a body on frame chassis then a monocoque one, something the Duster does not have. Moreover if mechanicals was the answer to toughness, why use ABS and stuff like VSC or ESP and TCS all electronically controlled components.
A balance of both is needed in the end. How can you call the Bolero refined, it is as crude as crude can be. It may be Reliable but in no way it is refined.

I am a family of one and I drive around in my Fortuner a lot, what has number of people got to do with anything?.

Quote:
The point I try to drive out here is, you just cant compare EcoSport to Duster. They are no way similar nor in the same segment. For that matter currently there is no other car like Duster or EcoSport.

EcoSport is a hatch on steroids while Duster is a wanna be SUV (a crossover). There is no match.

No one ever says Duster is a value for money car, because its a crossover. You like it, you buy it. The butch looks, the ride quality and space.
I can compare the Ecosport to the Duster because they are both derived from Hatchbacks. Yes my friend, the Duster is a derivative of the Logan, just like the Ecosport is of the Fiesta. None of them is a SUV. And they are very similar on a lot of aspects and different on a lot of others but you can compare them none the less.

If the Ecosport is a hatch on steroids then the Duster is a hatch who has had its steroids and now going for the GoGo juice .

Actually except for the Republic of India, the whole world says the Duster is a value for Money car. It was designed with only one thing "VFM" nothing else.

The duster will see a correction in sales numbers soon and I do not know if it will be because of the Ecosport or just that they have over priced the car.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 00:09   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Wow spoken like a true fan. You see there can be very little said to your comments above, the enthusiasm alone is infectious. But still a little Perspective, if I may.
By Bolero I meant the simplicity and reliability of the bolero in a good measure of refinement.

Its a known fact Duster came from Logan platform. But similarity ends there, the Duster in fact was designed for a 4x4 VMF off-roader, which is liked the world over. In India they compared prices of various SUVs and went for the kill. It worked. Most SUVs in India are end of the day 5 seaters, unless you roof mount a rack to carry luggage. so Dusters does a neat crossover job out here. Not as big as an SUV, but not small either. Mixes the goodness of both world in size and ride quality.

Anything new sells like hot cake initially, then it stabilizes. Happening to the Duster. A face lift is all it needs to peak again for sometime. Guess Nissan will be given that spot first.

EcoSport is taking the limelight now just like Duster was last year. EcoSport has a young and fancy look.

ABS & EBD these features are reserved for the Option pack and top ends. Good to have, but not a necessity in our driving conditions. Your life depends on a chip.

we need a mix of both electronics and mechanics. Still keep the point of failures to the minimum.

I don't advise spending 3.5L on Duster, but in may be a lakh, you can upgrade the interiors with real leather. The Dash, the door and seats. Anyway that's not the point I am trying to make.

For me the main stuffs are space, ride quality, all around visibility and a big car feel. Which the Duster provides. If you ask me to make another choice, I'd got for Scorpio or XUV with the same money. EcoSport is a bit too compact.
Old 6th August 2013, 02:11   #268
BHPian

Each car will have its enthusiasts but to succeed a car will have to appeal beyond a niche. At the moment the only folks who might pay the premium for the Duster will be the enthusiasts who love the Duster enough to overlook the 2-3 lakhs or those who detest the Ecosport, get tired of waiting or pissed off with Ford.

You can already see the numbers declining, at this rate and seeing the Ecosport personally it feels fairly certain Duster is going to take a hit.

The vast majority have a tough decision after test driving both cars. The superb value Ecosport delivers at the moment, and the fact that there is nothing objectionable about it will win most over.

AC, build quality, safety, space, technology, features, interiors, plastics, power, ride quality are all acceptable or good. 3 lakhs can get you another car! and in this segment that has to be a big deal.

The rear seat of the Ecosport is not as cramped as perceived. Those who doubt this should take a personal look, most will come away surprised how comfortable the seat is and the the space available. I was. Will the third person be completely comfortable, maybe not, maybe yes depending on size but this applies to most cars including the Duster.

The only thing that will give Renault breathing room is if Ford decides to hike prices. Just step in to a Renault showroom inquiring about Duster today, there is a sea change in attitude and staff behavior; gone is the arrogance and nonchalance about delivery. This is how buying a car should be, and you can thank Ecosport for this.

Nissan may improve the Duster, and I hope they do but given the Duster was not designed to be a premium or expensive vehicle they can only work within those limitations, and this makes the pricing strategy that much more difficult to comprehend. As we have seen only proper and varied competition can deliver value and a good buying experience to consumers, and that's the only thing we should care about.

Last edited by raul : 6th August 2013 at 02:23.
raul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 06:32   #269
Senior - BHPian

I've had a compliant on Renault from day one, that they have priced the Duster high, but I got a shock when I did a compare between the price in the UK and the price here, it is the same, so I take my words back, Renault is not ripping us, that is what the Duster is sold for all over the world, its like the price of gold, if you want it or like it, you will pay for it any which way

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post

I am a family of one and I drive around in my Fortuner a lot, what has number of people got to do with anything?.
There you go, I am your poor cousin, I too am a family of one and drive around in a Safari, the point is, if you are in love with a vehicle, you will find all kinds of excuses to justify your love, its when you think straight that things will fall in place, end of the day, its all in the mind, you can drive a Nano thinking you are the king of the world and not even notice the Rolls or Mercedes that pass you by

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th August 2013 at 09:37. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 6th August 2013, 08:19   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
its like the price of gold, if you want it or like it, you will pay for it any which way
@TheArun... never looked at global prices before. You are right, the Prices in India are equal or lower then global.

For their 4x2 base variants (I took the liberty to convert the local currency to INR, translation were pretty confusing):
In Brazil Duster starts at INR 13,53,420 and EcoSport (1.6L petrol) at INR 14,60,270
In UK Duster starts at INR 11,66,190 and EcoSport is scheduled for launch in 2014

These are as per the official websites. What I could make out was;
The UK price for Duster is similar but Brazil is on higher side.
UK was the 110hp where as the Brazil had a 2L petrol engine.

The Diesel EcoSport in Brazil seem to start from Rs.17Lakh for Diesel. They are doing well there.

Which means the EcoSport is way under-priced or are on an introductory pricing in India. That is great for buyers to lap it up at this price till stocks last

Last edited by HillMan : 6th August 2013 at 08:22.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread