Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th August 2013, 17:01   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
She commented that a white Duster looks nice and has the look of one of those imported SUVs (probably referring to Audi Q series) and we should buy one.
What a coincidence! My wife spoke in the same line and insisted that the next car should be a duster.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:39   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We have to look at Duster from another perspective, me and you may find it difficult to figure it out but the Indian customer is very clever.

Look at it like this:
1. It looks like an SUV
2. It has a huge boot
3. You can take it to Leh
5. It returns 15km + to a liter of diesel
6. It is designed by built by an European manufacturer
7. It is not very hitech and so no faulty sensors that cost a lakh
8. Proven engine which is easy to drive in the city (85BHP)
9. Superb ride and handling.
I agree with everything you've said about the Duster. But it suffers from a fundamental problem. The price.

You see, everything else can be dismissed, but at current prices, it's in no man's land. And honestly, it was just at the brink before they steadily hiked the prices by over a lakh.

As a result of this, other minor drawbacks of Duster begin to stand out even more. Like the interior. It isn't exactly 13-15-lakh-car money.

And with the EcoSport's fantastic pricing, the Duster is starting to look unnecessarily expensive. The only real advantage I see the Duster having is the slightly larger cabin and boot.

And if it has to be a petrol car, or an automatic, you shouldn't bother with the Duster because it just doesn't give you much for what you pay.

It's pretty much even-stevens in the ride / handling department. The ride is a smidge better in the Duster where as the EcoSport probably edges ahead in the handling department.

As for the way they look, it's subjective. A few years ago when I'd first seen the EcoSport in pictures, I was floored. The Duster on the other hand looked seriously dated. Even when I'd seen it in the flesh for the first time, I wasn't impressed. But now, it's the other way round. The EcoSport looks daft, with minimal wheel-gap, bloated-and-seemingly-endless bodywork above the wheel arches, and the spare on the boot-lid. The Duster looks great, it's got the right stance and it's a very clean design. All in my opinion of course..

On the flip side: I'd pick the EcoSport if the city:highway ratio is 70:30 and I'd pick the Duster if the ratio is 30:70.

The EcoSport shines as a city car because:

- Perfectly sized and great GC for brilliant city roads.
- Variety of options (petrol AT/MT, EcoBoost)
- Feels car like to drive.

The Duster shines as a highway car because:

- Superior ride quality
- Large and usable boot
- Frugal 85 mill and 110 with 6th cog useful for highway jaunts.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 18:10   #288
BHPian

Quote:
We have to look at Duster from another perspective, me and you may find it difficult to figure it out but the Indian customer is very clever. We have a car that looks like an SUV favored by the rich but does not drive like an SUV (body roll) and does not drink like one too.
The average buyer is not too worried about its off-roading ability as he not going to take his 13lac rupee car into river beds, he will probably buy an ex army MM 550 for that. He is more interested in its ability to cross road humps, tackle bad roads without damage to the car and do highway trips comfortably. Even this road hump thing is psychological and the scraping noise that comes from brushing one does more damage to your heart than the car, I know as I have been driving a Baleno for 7 years now.

Look at it like this:
1. It looks like an SUV
2. It has a huge boot
9. Superb ride and handling

The key here is the fuel efficiency and Renault got there by making the car light and still keeping the chassis safe and stiff. The lighter the car the easier to tune the suspension and so the good ride. The lower the car and wider the track, easier it is make it handle better, though it has 200mm of ground clearance the car itself is not too tall.
They have got the basics right, only thing that people are complaining about is that the price is too high or that it does not have enough features for the price. No one ever said that it was a bad car. To my wife all cars are the same till she has to sit in one for a long road trip and after about 3 hours she will tell you why the car (or driver if I am driving) is useless. She commented that a white Duster looks nice and has the look of one of those imported SUVs (probably referring to Audi Q series) and we should buy one.
Yes. Price is the only thing people are complaining about because if one spends in upwards of a million rupees on a vehicle, he/she expects to be given a few luxuries to go along with it. This is exactly why the EcoSport will be the preferred choice of many, not just because it performs almost as well as the Duster, but it also makes them feel a million bucks when they are in it.
And while we are on the topic of hi-tech gadgets, I honestly think that options like a Push button start, True keyless entry, Auto folding ORVM with turn indicators, Reverse camera integrated into the IRVM, Climate control do not make a car hi-tech. Okay, the push button start is pretty hi-tech, but come on Manufacturers, its 2013 and we most definitely deserve more (esp if you are charging a premium for your product)
Old 6th August 2013, 18:45   #289
BHPian

In my opinion the comparision is not a straight forward one, primarily because Ecosport is more SUV like while the Duster 'is' a compact SUV. So they are in different categories as much as we try to draw similarities, but if one were to go with price to feature or refinement ratio, the EcoSport would be a winner. Now that the EcoSport is here, I feel the Duster is over priced for the interiors and features it offers.
Old 6th August 2013, 19:12   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I agree with everything you've said about the Duster. But it suffers from a fundamental problem. The price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Yes. Price is the only thing people are complaining about because if one spends in upwards of a million rupees on a vehicle, he/she expects to be given a few luxuries to go along with it. This is exactly why the EcoSport will be the preferred choice of many, not just because it performs almost as well as the Duster, but it also makes them feel a million bucks when they are in it.
Couldn't agree more. The majority of people looking at buying from this segment would be more conscious about the bang for the buck. Before the EcoSport, the Duster was the only choice(though it was overpriced) for anything less than an SUV and more than a hatch. But now the EcoSport pricing has hit the nail right on the head.

Suddenly, most of the Duster owners, feel they have paid atleast a couple of lakhs extra(if not more), for what the Duster is offering compared to the EcoSport. Not all are looking for the few extra litres in the boot. Seating 4 in the EcoSport is much better due to the better legroom.

Imagine an EcoSport XL variant(a little stretch) with no change in the features available and matching the size of the Duster. Even if its priced a lakh more than the Duster, it would still be more VFM.

By the way, if butch looks and big boot (after seating 5) is the real deal breaker, I would any day choose the bolero over the duster. I would be left with enough cash to do a DC for refining the interiors.
Old 6th August 2013, 19:38   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post

Imagine an EcoSport XL variant(a little stretch) with no change in the features available and matching the size of the Duster. Even if its priced a lakh more than the Duster, it would still be more VFM.
EcoSport XL. I like the sound of that. Why does it feel like there already is an extended wheelbase version of the EcoSport. Hmmm. I think I've read about it somewhere, if only I could remember..
McLaren Roxx is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 20:12   #292
BHPian

Quote:
EcoSport XL. I like the sound of that. Why does it feel like there already is an extended wheelbase version of the EcoSport. Hmmm. I think I've read about it somewhere, if only I could remember..
I just derived it from the Indigo & Bolero XL names . IMHO, stretching the wheelbase a bit would surely improve the handling.
If at all Ford comes up with such a machine with 4x4 at around 13-15lakhs, it would give the real SUVs a run for their money.
Old 6th August 2013, 20:15   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

EcoSport XL.
Don't you guys think it will look weird, considering that width is not one of the strong points for this SUV?

Duster is wider and the huge wheel arches help its case even more.

EDIT: @swami.n: It will improve highway stability for sure. Handling depends on other factors too, but mostly I fear it will loose the Ford agility.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th August 2013 at 20:17.
Old 6th August 2013, 20:20   #294
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The EcoSport XL perception comes from the EcoSport sold abroad which are essentially the same side on the inside but have a longer (bigger) front bumper that causes the length to be more than the India Govt. focused 4M version we have here.

Yep an EcoSport XL if present though even for an added 2L would seem better value then the same sized Duster then. (say with 475 cc Boot and an added (but not required) 5 cms in the rear row.
Old 6th August 2013, 20:35   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

^^True, but if Ford have plans to launch the likes of Kuga in the future, its best to leave the Ecosport at its current size. I believe the compact size greatly enhance its credentials as an Urban SUV.
Old 8th August 2013, 13:49   #296
BHPian

Yes, Ecosport is a overall a better car but the lack of size is killing it for someone like me who drives an Ikon and thinking a lot before switching to Ecosport... or even Duster for that matter. Duster,I am touch unhappy with lack of matching saftey features and interiors of a 12 Lakh car. Also, 11-12 Lakh are strech for me..

So the story goes like earlier I was waiting for Ecospsort and now I will wait for Kuga of Korando.. as I am moderately happy with my current ride. As it 65k old it has started giving issues like thermostat ones and bit squeaking noises :(
Old 8th August 2013, 14:20   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My vote goes for upcoming Duster AWD.
Without AWD the Duster stands no chance against the Ecosport. But given Renaults/Nissan's pigheadedness not to launch the AWD variant despite the fact that it is manufactured in India for export markets, this point is really irrelevant in this thread.

Ecosport has changed the equation totally making the Duster & Terrano kind of irrelevant. Duster fans like to say Duster is bigger, but ask your self this, will you agree to be the third row middle seat passenger in the Duster?? How much more luggage are 4 people likely to carry that will not fit in the boot of the Ecosport? Isn't it better to put a luggage rack on the Ecosport than spend another 4 lakhs for a less equipped car with 100 liters more of boot and 1/2 passenger more of seating?
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 14:41   #298
BHPian

EcoSport has nailed it with the price. It would be a worth while to watch if they can sustain it down there. We are comparing it with Duster here, but with the Ford strategy, they have currently messed the market. Renault is not the only one hit in this bargain.

Good for new car buyers. No one anticipated this, given their pricing in other markets.
Having said that, I dont think Duster buyers ever looked at EcoSport as a competition. We love our set of wheels

As GTO mentioned in his review. You buy Duster from your heart and not head.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:05   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
As GTO mentioned in his review. You buy Duster from your heart and not head.
Seems to me like, I bought it so I have to justify my decision kind of logic..
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 02:18   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at it like this:
1. It looks like an SUV
2. It has a huge boot
9. Superb ride and handling
I agree with all the points you've made up there, but would really like to know why the Ecosport cannot be taken to Leh/Ladakh ? Especially so if cars like Linea,Laura etc with much lesser GC have made it.

If anything the Ecosport has an edge over the Duster, with 550mm water wading ability but identical GC. The 1.5 tdci is very fuel efficient as well,please read through the reviews on the forum.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread