Ford EcoSport 408 76.55%
Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th August 2013, 03:56   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

I agree with all the points you've made up there, but would really like to know why the Ecosport cannot be taken to Leh/Ladakh ? Especially so if cars like Linea,Laura etc with much lesser GC have made it.

If anything the Ecosport has an edge over the Duster, with 550mm water wading ability but identical GC. The 1.5 tdci is very fuel efficient as well,please read through the reviews on the forum.
Even the humble Maruti van and Maruti 800 manages to trundle up to Leh and Ladakh.
An EcoSport can certainly get there I imagine.
Trouble is we have so many blokes here who are simply speculating about things without having any real life first hand experience to back it up! I say desist from such!
Old 9th August 2013, 12:09   #302
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even the humble Maruti van and Maruti 800 manages to trundle up to Leh and Ladakh.
An EcoSport can certainly get there I imagine.
Trouble is we have so many blokes here who are simply speculating about things without having any real life first hand experience to back it up! I say desist from such!
Further to my earlier posts, I completely agree that most cars can do it including my current ones, at the most they may scrape the bumpers a few times.
The thing about a touring car is the comfort and luggage carrying capabilities. Even the Duster rear seats don't look comfortable enough because of the seat back angle and under thigh support, keep in mind that I compare it my Baleno rear seat which is very nicely angled and really deep.
I will reserve comments till I test drive the Duster which I am resisting as it will start the process of buying (at least considering buying), so I can hold on to some money and not invest it in a depreciating asset and at the same time praying that my Baleno stays reliable enough for the next couple of years that I can take it out on a 1k plus trip without worrying too much.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:13   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post

Further to my earlier posts, I completely agree that most cars can do it including my current ones, at the most they may scrape the bumpers a few times.
The thing about a touring car is the comfort and luggage carrying capabilities. Even the Duster rear seats don't look comfortable enough because of the seat back angle and under thigh support, keep in mind that I compare it my Baleno rear seat which is very nicely angled and really deep.
I will reserve comments till I test drive the Duster which I am resisting as it will start the process of buying (at least considering buying), so I can hold on to some money and not invest it in a depreciating asset and at the same time praying that my Baleno stays reliable enough for the next couple of years that I can take it out on a 1k plus trip without worrying too much.
If you are a tall person, you will find a lack of under thigh support in both the Duster and the EcoSport in the front seats. My Yeti's front seats are much more comfy. The Maruti vehicles in general have very comfy, deep and snug seats.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:14   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
And while we are on the topic of hi-tech gadgets, I honestly think that options like a Push button start, True keyless entry, Auto folding ORVM with turn indicators, Reverse camera integrated into the IRVM, Climate control do not make a car hi-tech. Okay, the push button start is pretty hi-tech, but come on Manufacturers, its 2013 and we most definitely deserve more (esp if you are charging a premium for your product)
True keyless entry is a real selling point especially for women, it is really helpful when you are carrying bags etc By wife would buy it just for that.
Also starts me wondering if price is the real pull towards the Ecosport as it was in XUV 500 and will the interest taper off once the prices go up?
Old 10th August 2013, 20:31   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
Also starts me wondering if price is the real pull towards the Ecosport as it was in XUV 500 and will the interest taper off once the prices go up?
EcoSport has stormed the market with an unmatched pricing strategy. The sales will take a hit after the rates go up.

That said, Duster is a man car. Not many women would prefer driving it. Soft touch don't work anywhere on this beast. You need to put some extra pressure to close the dashboard lid as well.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 22:02   #306
BHPian

Voted for Duster & Bought one about 2 weeks back. I did wait for the EcoSport launch but was disappointed when I saw it in person. After the EcoSport testride, I don't think EcoSport is a real comparison to the Duster - Scorpio, Terrano or XUV are. To me, the Duster USPs were:

1. A much bigger car - I already have two hatchback in the family and wanted a proper SUV or Sedan within the stipulated budget. Needed enough boot space for my 6 month old son's pram > tricycle > cycle for next few years.

2. Cost of ownership - Friends who are already driving a Duster for an year were happy with its low cost of ownership. Fords are known to be expensive garage visitors from my experience.

3. Snob Factor - Yes, the Duster surely has a better snob value due to better road presence, muscular looks and bigger size. On the other hand, the first reaction to the looks EcoSport is "Its small. Looks bigger in ad".

Cheers
Pahwa
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 10:02   #307
BHPian

I love the rough and tough attitude of the Duster. EcoSport might call this video a show off

Renault's Gang Of Dusters having fun with their dusters on dirt
Old 19th August 2013, 15:17   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I love the rough and tough attitude of the Duster. EcoSport might call this video a show off
I don't think this video would tilt the balance towards Duster for a common man looking to buy a decent car and mostly for the city.

And both not being 4x4, I don't think the EcoSport cannot do what ever the Duster can do in the slush.

In fact, I think the EcoSport can do better due to its better water wading capacity. A 4x4 duster doing daredevil stuff would have caught the Ford gasping for breath

Probably except for the few extra liters of luggage space, there is nothing an EcoSport cannot do, which the Duster can for most of our day to day drives. That what most Urban cars would do.

If we are comparing off-roading abilities, the Bolero would be better choice any day, as it is a lot of LAKHS below the Duster(Price wise and probably better ability wise).

Last edited by swami.n : 19th August 2013 at 15:31.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:07   #309
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the clip, quite neat.

Obviously the Rally Driver in the video was paid for this exercise. Wonder if the EcoSport would have fared any different in the hands of the same person? A decent video definitely, I guess just as there was one of an internationally available EcoSport 4X4 and am sure is there of a Duster 4X4 too but this was a 4X2.

The Duster does look planted due to it's stance. Serves as a good reminder of what Non 4X4 vehicles like the Duster and the EcoSport could do, and most purchasers will never take the vehicle even through this much dirt during the vehicle ownership lifetime.

Nope the Bolero / Thar would probably not fare as well, the mono chassis construction does help in turning at high speeds over dirt roads.

I guess now it is time me moved down to service costs, niggles, reliability etc and other more such detailed analysis on this thread. Appearances, Size, Features, Interiors, Build Quality, Pricing etc. are already covered and done with.

Actually on a side not the Duster Colours really quite the vehicle and Ford could have brought in a couple more bright colour options as well since they are projecting a young image for the EcoSport. But hey no one picks up a blue - at least not in substantial numbers.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 16:12   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are there any other videos from the event which probably shows the off-road capability (?) of the Duster sold in India?

This video is the epitome of the Pseudo SUV culture which has captured India. Loud BGM, Rain, Potholes, sludge, Rally Driver taking some sharps turns and guys going 'awesome'! For what?
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 17:27   #311
BHPian

Fellow BHPian himadrimondal does trips to Sikkim often on work. He has a few videos showing the Indian duster capabilities. Most videos are shot from inside the vehicle while driving as these are not professionally managed.

Here is one such
Old 19th August 2013, 17:32   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!

Give Vikram an Alto 800 and lets be on the Duster and he will run circles around us with the 800. That is the driver, not the Car.

This is what a mono 4X4 Car can do

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 18:34   #313
BHPian

Quote:
He has a few videos showing the Indian duster capabilities.
I feel you have been influenced too much by Duster's relative stance and size and not to overlook the fact that you own one, to be led to believe that it has some unique capabilities. I am sorry if I am bursting your bubble by saying it doesn't have any. Infact in the light of Ecosport's pricing one can say the Emperor has no clothes!

It also reminds of how the size, stance & appeal of Safari leads some of its owners to entertain delusional thoughts pertaining to the capabilities of their 'beasts'
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 18:53   #314
Senior - BHPian

Some good drivers are even capable of doing this

Quote:
Old 19th August 2013, 20:37   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Give Vikram an Alto 800 and lets be on the Duster and he will run circles around us with the 800. That is the driver, not the Car.

This is what a mono 4X4 Car can do
You are right, its the driver and not the car itself. Isnt it true for any make?
Even in a race with two exact same car and engineering its only one car that wins.
But then, the losing car might either have a lesser driver or the car that doesn't compliment well for his skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Infact in the light of Ecosport's pricing one can say the Emperor has no clothes!

It also reminds of how the size, stance & appeal of Safari leads some of its owners to entertain delusional thoughts pertaining to the capabilities of their 'beasts'
Just because Ford pulled the rabbit out of the hat, only time will tell if they can hold to that price, which is way lower than global prices, and how the Indian make perform in the real world. We already saw one official recall. Although they claim it wasn't a safety issue, it could only cause starting problems down the line and towing to service center.

I'll be happy if Ford can maintain the price point, hopefully it will bring down the costs of other cars too. Competition is good for consumers after all. Renault hiked their prices around Ford launch, not sure of their pricing strategy thou.

What needs to be seen is the overall running cost and niggles, it will take a couple of years before those comparisons can be made. For now what we see, the Duster is not an expensive piece to maintain on day to day running. There are people who have covered over 30k kms already and happy with it. By next year we will see better data and ownership reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Some good drivers are even capable of doing this
Anyone can drift a car, its the control and drifting thru the designated route that matters. It cannot be risked to an armature on a vacation.

My EcoSport enthusiast friends are only getting back with 4x4 videos that the Indian Duster never claimed to be. No 2x4 is meant for serious off-roading, specially on slippery roads with low traction.

Yes, I am a Duster fan no doubt. It just ticks all my requirements. So, it does for many who are still going for the Duster after reading these reviews.

An emperor without cloths you may say (no frill bare bone Duster), is still an emperor

You don't have to think twice before taking on a bad patch of tarmac with the backbenchers seated in comfort.
Closed Thread