View Poll Results: Your Choice?
Ford EcoSport 408 76.55%
Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20th August 2013, 09:56   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

There are tonnes of off-roading videos of the Duster, both 4X2 and 4X4 versions..

Can some fans post some videos of the Ecosport doing some shenanigans??
Old 20th August 2013, 11:20   #317
Senior - BHPian

Then, what was the point with that video of the Duster getting dirty in the slush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Anyone can drift a car, its the control and drifting thru the designated route that matters. It cannot be risked to an armature on a vacation.
That explains!

Quote:
Yes, I am a Duster fan no doubt.
I am glad it did, but the kind of value that EcoSport proposes with a price tag thats 2.5 Lakh cheaper and offering a lot more practical options than the Duster, it will tick most requirements of an Urban car buyer and it shows with monthly sales chart.

Quote:
It just ticks all my requirements.

Yeah, there are even videos of a humble Maruti 800 showing off its offraod abilities, but not one video of the EcoSport

And how many Duster owners have taken their 4x2 Dusters offroad? I will warn you anyway, you are taking a knife to a gunfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Can some fans post some videos of the Ecosport doing some shenanigans??
Old 20th August 2013, 14:52   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Just because Ford pulled the rabbit out of the hat, only time will tell if they can hold to that price, which is way lower than global prices, and how the Indian make perform in the real world. We already saw one official recall. Although they claim it wasn't a safety issue, it could only cause starting problems down the line and towing to service center.

I'll be happy if Ford can maintain the price point, hopefully it will bring down the costs of other cars too. Competition is good for consumers after all. Renault hiked their prices around Ford launch, not sure of their pricing strategy thou.

What needs to be seen is the overall running cost and niggles, it will take a couple of years before those comparisons can be made. For now what we see, the Duster is not an expensive piece to maintain on day to day running. There are people who have covered over 30k kms already and happy with it. By next year we will see better data and ownership reports.
Why do you say that EcoSport prices are lower than global prices? Lemme re-post my earlier post here;

"Comparing prices for a particular model across geographies is not the right way. The 2013 Honda Accord starts at INR 13,22,480 in the US, whereas the older Accord still sells for INR 20,00,000+ here. Similarly the A-Star & Swift hatches start at INR 6,83,905 and INR 10,25,905 respectively in the UK, whereas Indian prices start at INR 3,84,396 and INR 4,47,894 resp. (not to forget, even the base models of each of these cars have ABS, Airbags, ESP as standard)

The correct way to compare and see if a model is overpriced is by comparing models within the same country. If in the UK, the Duster starts at INR 11,66,190, then it is placed above the Swift. So prices in India should ideally start around INR 6,00,000. Unfortunately, that's not the case. The cheapest Duster retails for INR 8,00,000! and is bare bones, no ABS, no ESP, no Airbags. Conclusion - Grossly overpriced."

Yes, i completely agree when you say that Duster is like a Maruti when it comes to maintenance costs. It has proven to be a reliable machine and has definitely set the bar really high for the EcoSport.

Read the news about Terrano. They are saying that it has better finished interiors and a more butch looking front end and are expecting it to be priced starting ~Rs. 10lakhs
Honestly, IMO, Nissan are heading for a catastrophic failure. From the looks of it, there is only a slight change in the interior - rectangular center ac vents, silver center console trims, wood inserts on the door & probably better upholstery. They don't seem to have made any other "real upgrade". No push button start, no climate control, no true-keyless, no auto folding orvm etc. All of which are the USPs of the competition.
As for the exterior, yes, it looks better than the Duster, but does that justify a premium increase in price. Absolutely not. Its still got those ugly flappy door handles & the non-orvm integrated side indicators. Belch! We expected so much more from Nissan, esp. when they have such a fantastic (read feature laden) lineup of vehicles in their stable.

Sigh. I'm disappointed.
Old 20th August 2013, 15:40   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Then, what was the point with that video of the Duster getting dirty in the slush!

That explains!

I am glad it did, but the kind of value that EcoSport proposes with a price tag thats 2.5 Lakh cheaper and offering a lot more practical options than the Duster, it will tick most requirements of an Urban car buyer and it shows with monthly sales chart.

Yeah, there are even videos of a humble Maruti 800 showing off its offraod abilities, but not one video of the EcoSport

And how many Duster owners have taken their 4x2 Dusters offroad? I will warn you anyway, you are taking a knife to a gunfight
Actually, i dont know what you meant when you said that - but there are hundreds of videos of the Duster doing some real bad ass moves.

Why dont the Ecosport fans show us what the baby is capable of ! Its been around for a while now, atleast outside...

Last edited by BUXX : 20th August 2013 at 15:51.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 18:02   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope this thread does not get into a fanboy fight. What are we trying to prove here?
IMO, even though in the same segment (small SUV/crossover) both cars are quite different and probably will appeal to different sensibilities.

And I think we should not try to differentiate by referring something as a manís car. We do have female members on the forum, and its best to avoid comments which can be considered as gender bias.
vb-san is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 18:15   #321
Senior - BHPian

+1 to vb-san.
Lets accept each car's negatives and positives like we are used to on team bhp and quit playing this kid game wherein Duster owners say "hey show me what Ecoport can do" and then Ecosport owners say "hey our car is vfm, feature laden, Duster is overpriced blah blah".

We are not here to fight guys, the market for both cars is different, Ford markets its car as an urban suv and not an offroader, i dont think mere ground clearance can help in offroading. Both cars can do mild off road stuff but once stuck in slush, both would be a dead meat.

I never took my Scorpio for an offroad session in past 8years and i wont take Duster/Ecosport as well. The car should be capable of conquering what comes in its way on our indian roads like water logging, big potholes etc. I would never knowingly take a 2WD car to a typical offroad site until and unless i have a jeep ready to evacuate me.
coolboy007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 18:22   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Why dont the Ecosport fans show us what the baby is capable of ! Its been around for a while now, atleast outside...
I do not get the point of showing the off-road capabilities of an Urban car.
Most of the EcoSport buyers(for that matter even Duster owners) are not going to do what is shown on the off-roading videos.

And I do not understand how the off-roading capabilty of one car can make it better than the other in this segment. Talk about the Fortuner, Pajero and the other 4x4 league, it makes sense.

All that matters in this segment is the nimbleness, handling, reliability, economy & most importantly VFM, what the car offers in return for what we have paid. It is this criteria where the EcoSport outscores the Duster and the numbers are just proof for that.
Old 20th August 2013, 18:52   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
I do not get the point of showing the off-road capabilities of an Urban car.
Most of the EcoSport buyers(for that matter even Duster owners) are not going to do what is shown on the off-roading videos.

And I do not understand how the off-roading capabilty of one car can make it better than the other in this segment. Talk about the Fortuner, Pajero and the other 4x4 league, it makes sense.

All that matters in this segment is the nimbleness, handling, reliability, economy & most importantly VFM, what the car offers in return for what we have paid. It is this criteria where the EcoSport outscores the Duster and the numbers are just proof for that.
It all boils down to this: people have paid a 2/2.5L premium for the Duster over the Ecosport and want to convince themselves, their friends, family and the world that there are x, y, z features and capabilities that justify it.

In what ever way one does the math, it's obvious that the Duster doesn't deserve the 2+L premium
kiku007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 21:30   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
It all boils down to this: people have paid a 2/2.5L premium for the Duster over the Ecosport and want to convince themselves, their friends, family and the world that there are x, y, z features and capabilities that justify it.
If that makes you feel good, so be it.

Most Duster buyers were looking for an SUV and found a cross over at a similar price with a great ride and handling. So you have to chose what you need based on your drive and family size.

EcoSport is never there for a comparison. The buyer profiles are different for both.

The sales figure of Duster when EcoSport delivery have started, proves my point. Its not a big dent compared to sales last year.

You see a slump in Duster sales attributed to EcoSport. But so has XUV sales dropped and everyone else. Looks like EcoSport nuked all of them

Time will tell.

Last edited by HillMan : 20th August 2013 at 21:32.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:57   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, i dont know what you meant when you said that - but there are hundreds of videos of the Duster doing some real bad ass moves. ..
I cannot figure out the point you are trying to make. Most of the bad ass videos you are talking about are for a vehicle which is not sold in India. Its called the Duster 4WD.
In its 2WD avatar its as capable as, lets say the SX4. Only advantage the Duster has is GC.
And when you are in a 2WD the lighter the better.

That said, I doubt anybody buys duster or Ecosport for their "offroading capabilities".
They are simple high GC frond wheel drive vehicles, so you can take that deep pothole without hitting the sump.
tsk1979 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 10:06   #326
BHPian

I think a thread titled Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster would be the ideal place to discuss and thrash out the merits/demerits of both cars and is likely to have fanboys from both sides.When both the vehicles are being pitched as "SUVs" , it is only fair to ask what their capabilities are and to seek any demonstration of such acts.

So lets leave the high and mighty attitude to the Test drive, Ownership and Initial review threads , where I agree it would be improper to discuss any other vehicle other than the one in question.
This, if at all , would be the ideal place to discuss on BOTH cars.

Someone said that there are only 4WD Duster videos. Do yourself a favour and get on Youtube. there are umpteen number of videos for the 2WD versions as well.

And if we are to talk about puritan off-roading: why stop at just doing it only in a 4WD vehicle??
There should certainly also be a Rescue vehicle with all the associated paraphernalia !!! a 4WD doesnt make the vehicle un-annhilable !!

Now lets see some videos, which can entertain us. We are all well aware that no sensible guy who has just spent 10L+ of his hard earned money on a family vehicle is gonna attempt any off-roading in the Duster or the Ecosport.

Though I am genuinely surpised to not being able to find out (m)any videos of the Ecosport owner doing something different, atleast in the foreign markets. Its been out for some time... heck there is even a 4WD version there in Brazil or someplace.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:17   #327
BHPian

This is fun! This thread actually reminds me of the Safari Vs Scorpio debates on this forum that seem to have cooled off now.

But I do agree that if we had to have a thread where these two cars (oops - did I actually mean SUVs ) are directly compared - this is it. While it is good to have a very objective debate, I think the fanboys do bring their own perspective and liveliness to the thread.

Bring it on I say!
Old 21st August 2013, 13:38   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think a thread titled Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster would be the ideal place to discuss and thrash out the merits/demerits of both cars and is likely to have fanboys from both sides.When both the vehicles are being pitched as "SUVs" , it is only fair to ask what their capabilities are and to seek any demonstration of such acts.
I can put a 500BHP sticker on my Liva, it won't make it a 500BHP car.
The Renault Duster is not a SUV. I wonder who calls it SUV. Renault does not. It goes to the Govt of India, and gets it classified as a car.
Similar for Ford. Its a car with a spare wheel on tail gate.
Both are cars with a higher GC and both Ford and Renault, the guys who make these vehicles call these cars in the official documentation(The kind you submit to get something called a registration number)

Quote:
So lets leave the high and mighty attitude to the Test drive, Ownership and Initial review threads , where I agree it would be improper to discuss any other vehicle other than the one in question.
This, if at all , would be the ideal place to discuss on BOTH cars.

Someone said that there are only 4WD Duster videos. Do yourself a favour and get on Youtube. there are umpteen number of videos for the 2WD versions as well.
Everything being done by a 2WD front wheel drive Duster would be done by any other similar GC "car". I see a lot of Altos and M800s in HP traversing deep water crossings. Does not make them a SUV. A 4WD is a different beast.
And about there high and mightly attitude, I wonder what are you hinting at. I am just arguing on the technical merits. A front WD with open differential. How will it be more capable than lets say a 800 with spacers for a raised GC?

Quote:
And if we are to talk about puritan off-roading: why stop at just doing it only in a 4WD vehicle??
There should certainly also be a Rescue vehicle with all the associated paraphernalia !!! a 4WD doesnt make the vehicle un-annhilable !!
I could not understand

Quote:
Now lets see some videos, which can entertain us. We are all well aware that no sensible guy who has just spent 10L+ of his hard earned money on a family vehicle is gonna attempt any off-roading in the Duster or the Ecosport.
I think you misunderstand the term Offroading. As for videos, and what can duster and Ecosport do, let me assure you(From whatever little experience I have), both Ecosport and Duster, provided they are running similar tires, will have same terrain traversing capabilities. The moment one front wheel loses traction, both will get stuck. M800 however, may pass through, as 2 passengers can lift the wheel out of the rut

Quote:
Though I am genuinely surpised to not being able to find out (m)any videos of the Ecosport owner doing something different, atleast in the foreign markets. Its been out for some time... heck there is even a 4WD version there in Brazil or someplace.
Just because you did not find any videos of Ford Ecosport does not mean they do not exist
Search Youtube with the proper search terms.
That said, newer vehicles have lower number of videos as compared to older vehicles.

So if you want to compare Ford Ecosport and Renault duster, it will be kind of weird to look at "Offroading merits".
A proper objective comparison could be done like this
1. Space - Renualt duster wins here as it has a wider back seat(Reason we bought duster and not ecosport)
2. Engine - Renualt 1.5L engine has amazing low end torque. The 85bhp version pulls like a locomotive
3. Price - Ford being 2L cheaper, becomes a value proposition if you are a small family. Then a wider rear bench would not matter.
4. Bad road capability - Bigger tires of Renault could give it an edge
And so on.
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 13:48   #329
Senior - BHPian

The Indian Pseudo SUV Fever. The photo is for those who can understand Tamil and for those who can't, here's the watered down translation,

Duster: I'm the SUV!
ES: I'm the Urban SUV!
Safari: Err...what's the noise there folks?
Duster and ES: Ooopss..just trolling Boss!

P.S: I'm waiting for the VW Cross-Polo to join the fight
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster-es1.jpeg  

kiku007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 14:00   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Safari: Err...what's the noise there folks?
Duster and ES: Ooopss..just trolling Boss!

P.S: I'm waiting for the VW Cross-Polo to join the fight
LOL, that was funny. That said, let me tell you from personal experience. The 4x2 Safari is one of the worst vehicles to get stuck in. And if you do manage to get a 4x4 Safari stuck, then......
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread