Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 17th December 2013, 11:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle

Based on inputs from everyone, we decided to consider a new vehicle than a pre-owned one. Reasons -

1) It is very very very difficult to find a decently maintained Sumo or Bolero in the used car market.
2) The good ones are overpriced.
3) The DI engine that we were looking for commands a premium!
4) If we take a loan, interest rate on used vehicles are more than on new vehicles. Plus we get upto 90% finance on new vehicles as compared to 50-60% on used vehicles.

Armed with a new objective in mind, I headed off to the Tata and M&M dealer to check out the Sumo Gold 3.0, Tata Xenon 3.0, Bolero DI and Bolero Camper.

My plan is to buy two vehicles - one 7 seater UV and one 5 seater pick up within a span of 4 months. The UV needs to have A/C but the pick up can do without A/C.

A Sumo Gold with AC and PS (power steering) will cost me 8.1 Lacs on road (including the 20k year end discount). I did not get details for the Xenon as I did not manage to locate a dealer near my place!

A Bolero SLE (with m2Dicr engine) with AC and PS will cost me 8.5 Lacs on road (no discounts). Bolero DI vehicles do not come with PS. The one with AC will cost me about 7.6 Lacs on road.

Interestingly,

The Bolero Camper seems to be a very good proposition because -
  • Camper Gold costs 6.6 Lacs on road with AC and PS, compared to 8.5 of the Bolero!
  • Camper Huber (standard) costs 6.1 Lacs on road without AC and PS.
We may opt for the Camper Huber as -
  • Camper has the DI engine compared to the m2Dicr engine of the Bolero.
  • Camper Huber has a leaf spring suspension all around, compared to independent front suspension in Camper Gold and Bolero UVs. Not the most comfortable but good for abuse and cheap to maintain!
We have decided to postpone the purchase to January since we are buying a new car now and a 2014 car will be better. Plus M&M is giving absolutely no year end discounts on the Bolero series.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 17:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Finally, after a lot of search, we found a reasonably good vehicle. After some thoughts, we booked a Tata Sumo Victa DI LX. Its a Nov 2008 vehicle which has 72k on the odo. This one has A/C but no power steering. Its a private vehicle registered in Raigad.

Exteriors - Very good. Body work and paint finish is good. Only grouse is that the older owner had a roof carrier which has dented the roof in several places.

Interiors - Not bad. The A/C works and everything is clean. The roof and the plastic cover on the LHS A pillar is a bit torn because the car had a roof mounted screen. The rear head rests are missing and the cover for the boot door is removed and kept in the boot. Also, there are no mats!

Mechanicals - Brakes are okay, clutch seems fine and engine is good. Gear lever has a lot of slack, but that is present in all Sumo Victas of this age. Worryingly, the steering had a lot of play which made me think that the rack is kaput. The dealer however insisted that its a small issue and he will repair it before delivery.

Tyres - Bald! I will have to replace it!

After a bit of bargaining, we agreed to pay Rs. 2.9 Lacs for the vehicle, on the condition that the steering will be repaired by them. We gave them the token amount today. I do not know if this is a good deal. I also do not know whether the odo reading is genuine as such vehicles do not have a service history with the service centre. The tyres are totally bald, is it normal for a 72k run vehicle?

Pics of the vehicle -
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1896.jpg  

Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1893.jpg  

Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1894.jpg  

Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1897.jpg  

Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1898.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 18:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Finally, after a lot of search, we found a reasonably good vehicle. After some thoughts, we booked a Tata Sumo Victa DI LX. Its a Nov 2008 vehicle which has 72k on the odo. This one has A/C but no power steering. Its a private vehicle registered in Raigad.

Exteriors - Very good. Body work and paint finish is good. Only grouse is that the older owner had a roof carrier which has dented the roof in several places.

Interiors - Not bad. The A/C works and everything is clean. The roof and the plastic cover on the LHS A pillar is a bit torn because the car had a roof mounted screen. The rear head rests are missing and the cover for the boot door is removed and kept in the boot. Also, there are no mats!

Mechanicals - Brakes are okay, clutch seems fine and engine is good. Gear lever has a lot of slack, but that is present in all Sumo Victas of this age. Worryingly, the steering had a lot of play which made me think that the rack is kaput. The dealer however insisted that its a small issue and he will repair it before delivery.

After a bit of bargaining, we agreed to pay Rs. 2.9 Lacs for the vehicle, on the condition that the steering will be repaired by them. We gave them the token amount today. I do not know if this is a good deal. I also do not know whether the odo reading is genuine as such vehicles do not have a service history with the service centre. The tyres are totally bald, is it normal for a 72k run vehicle?

Pics of the vehicle -
As per my understanding the tyres should run about 70k. Check the date of manufacture on the tyres, if they're original, the odo reading may be genuine.
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 21:07   #49
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase and I hope that you have a trouble free ownership experience. I think this vehicle has the same engine as used in the TATA 407. If so then you should not worry about the engine as its a proven workhorse. Tyres part I feel ok for 70k running if they are bald.

Spend some money in getting the smaller things right and your vehicle would be surely fit to give you a nice service. Sumo parts will be cheap and easily available too.

Keep this thread posted about your experience with the vehicle.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 23:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know if this is a good deal.
By the body lines and door gaps, vehicle really looks good and the deal is optimum for buyer and seller both for this age sumo.

Quote:
I also do not know whether the odo reading is genuine as such vehicles do not have a service history with the service centre.
Isn’t it an A.S.S.? Victa di turbo comes with 4 free service before 45k odo or 18 months (as owner’s manual tells). Free service data may clarify the way of mileage covered and possible running in 5 years.

You can check last service history of vehicle on (http://www.tatamotorsassured.com/ind...l&view=tmasell). The link was told on thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-fraud-3.html (How to detect *Odometer Fraud*) in post no 34.

As the vehicle is on service center and lift jack is available, do an underbody check for intact chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
As per my understanding the tyres should run about 70k.
72k form one tyre set is a really good mileage, it shouldn’t be more than 55-60k in any case for sumo/ bolero type vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I think this vehicle has the same engine as used in the TATA 407.
The non-turbo version of this 2956cc engine was known as TATA SPECIO & SPECIO GOLD formerly.

Last edited by (Alok) : 26th December 2013 at 23:38.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 00:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The tyres are totally bald, is it normal for a 72k run vehicle?
What else do you expect? The vehicle must have been used as a people mover and the owner seems to have sucked out every bit of tread from the tyres.

Even on cars and hatches driven in moderation the tyres are up for replacement by 50k to 60k. So bald tyres is normal for this vehicle and mileage.

Just make sure the suspension and steering alignment is correct.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 18:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, after a lot of search, we found a reasonably good vehicle.
After a bit of bargaining, we agreed to pay Rs. 2.9 Lacs for the vehicle, on the condition that the steering will be repaired by them. We gave them the token amount today. I do not know if this is a good deal.
Congrats. uve got a rugged pocket rocket for 2.9 lakhs. Couldnt have asked for more.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 19:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Congrats on the purchase and I hope that you have a trouble free ownership experience. I think this vehicle has the same engine as used in the TATA 407.
Yes, its the same 3.0 DI engine.

Quote:
Spend some money in getting the smaller things right and your vehicle would be surely fit to give you a nice service. Sumo parts will be cheap and easily available too.
I will be changing the tyres, installing some durable rubber mats, getting the real panel sorted (which is loose now) and mend the torn roof liner. That's all that I have planned.
Quote:
Keep this thread posted about your experience with the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
By the body lines and door gaps, vehicle really looks good and the deal is optimum for buyer and seller both for this age sumo.

Quote:
Isn’t it an A.S.S.? Victa di turbo comes with 4 free service before 45k odo or 18 months (as owner’s manual tells). Free service data may clarify the way of mileage covered and possible running in 5 years.
I bought this car from a dealer.

Quote:
You can check last service history of vehicle on (http://www.tatamotorsassured.com/ind...l&view=tmasell). The link was told on thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-fraud-3.html (How to detect *Odometer Fraud*) in post no 34.
Thanks for the link. It requires the email ID and mobile number of the registered owner. I will try to get that.

Quote:
As the vehicle is on service center and lift jack is available, do an underbody check for intact chassis.
The vehicle is not in the A.S.S.

Quote:
The non-turbo version of this 2956cc engine was known as TATA SPECIO & SPECIO GOLD formerly.
I was looking for a private owned Victa DI and I got just that. How well maintained it is, I will understand that only when we take delivery and it goes to the A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Just make sure the suspension and steering alignment is correct.
Suspension is good. Steering is not. The dealer has assured me that he will rectify the steering before I take delivery.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Restoration (I like to call it that!) of the Sumo begins tomorrow. A quick checklist involves the following work to be done -

Mechanical:
1) Engine oil change
2) Oil filter change
3) Air filter change
4) A/C filter change
5) Gear oil change
6) Differential oil change
7) Greasing of propeller shaft
8) Fuel filter change
9) Inspect brake pads
10) Handbrake setting
11) Brake/clutch oil change
12) All 4 tyres change

Cosmetic:
1) Diesel wash (pressure wash of underbody)
2) Mend the torn roof and A pillar lining
3) Fix a new set of mud flaps
4) Get new floor mats

Now my queries -

1) Anybody knows of a good automobile spare part shop in Mulund where I can get genuine parts for the Sumo Victa?
2) What can be done about the torn roof lining? And where can I get it done?
3) Did I miss anything?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 00:06   #55
BHPian

Roof lining is an easy fix. Go to a body shop. Those guys have the skills and tools.

The lowest variant of the sumo comes with a cheap rexine roof liner stitched together and stuck with rubber adhesive.

Can you share details about the steering problem?

What I'd recommend is to wash the car underbody and engine bay thoroughly. Remove all debris and oils.

After having it serviced, drive around for a couple of days and then examine the underbody and engine bay. If there's any leakage, tighten clamps, change seals or hoses as required.
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of the vehicle today afternoon. Things done today -

1) All tyres replaced with JK - Rs. 21000/- (Rs. 1000/- buy back for the old tyres, I got the tubes with me as they were in good condition)
2) Company logo on rear glass - Rs. 600/-
3) Floor mats (rubber) - Rs. 1400 for all 3 rows
4) Rear mudflaps replaced with the Sparco ones - Rs. 250/- (I know these look real cheapo but they are BIG and work well for the intended conditions. Plus they were available as a pair as the front Sparcos were fine. And they are cheap!)
5) Torn roof and A pillar mended - Rs. 150/- (A similar rexine material of almost the same shade was picked, cut and stuck in place. Not an ideal solution, but does not look very out of place unless bought to attention.)

In addition to the to-do list mentioned in post #54, I will also change the covering over the gear lever and steering rod as both are torn. Looking to source those parts.

Mechanical restoration will begin on Monday. My biggest worry is the steering, looks like that will incur a huge repair bill.

This thing is fun man!
Old 6th January 2014, 10:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Some interior snaps -

Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1922.jpg
Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1923.jpg
Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1925.jpg

The new tyres -

Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1927.jpg
Old 8th January 2014, 23:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

The UV is in a FNG (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage) for the past 2 days. Apart from the cosmetic additions done above, the mechanical work being done are -
  • The steering tie rod was busted. Got a new tie rod assembly installed.
  • All shock absorbers were on it's last legs. Replaced all four of them.
  • Greasing of all bearings and propeller shaft.
  • One wheel bearing was kaput, fitted a new one.
  • Lower beam does not work, higher beam does. Can be a faulty fuse or wiring mistake, needs to be checked.
  • Got a new gear lever boot (cover). The present one was torn and some hot air was seeping inside the cabin.
  • Wanted a steering column boot as well, but could not manage to source it in shops nearby.
  • All brakes opened, cleaned and hubs greased. Discs sent to lathe and skimmed. Brake pads are fine.
  • Clutch is fine. However, the clutch fluid was replaced and the line was bled, to remove air.
  • Engine oil and oil filter replaced.
  • Brake oil, coolant, fuel filter (x2) and air filter replaced.
I will most probably be taking the delivery of the UV tomorrow morning. It will straight away head to a service station where the body and engine bay will be pressure washed, interiors vacuumed and under-body pressure washed and cleaned with diesel.
Old 9th January 2014, 16:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of the UV today. Noticeable changes are -
  • Steering feels much much lighter, however it is not very direct or precise!
  • Clutch feels lighter
  • Engine feels more refined (by truck standards!)
  • Shock absorbers are new, so vehicle feels a bit more stable, and no more squeaking noises
  • Headlights repaired, a fuse was faulty
New mats were installed and the vehicle pressure washed. The vehicle will be sent to the work site tomorrow morning. From here, it has to suffer the ordeal day in and day out and prove that it is true tough workhorse. I am hoping it will...

Expenses on vehicle -

• Tyres = Rs. 20000/-
• Bearing, front shock absorbers and steering tie rod assembly = Rs. 4515/-
• Coolant = Rs. 690/-
• Oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, brake oil, clutch oil and engine oil = Rs. 3490/-
• Rear shock absorbers and gear lever boot = Rs. 1600/-
• Labour and material charge in garage = Rs. 6000/-
• Company logo on rear glass = Rs. 600/-
• Roof and pillar cover = Rs. 150/-
• Floor mats = Rs. 1400/-
• Rear mud flaps = Rs. 250/-

All in all, we spent Rs. 38,695/- on the vehicle on repairs. Thus, the net total cost of the vehicle in its present form to us was Rs. 3,28,695/-. Insurance was another Rs. 10,000/-. And PUC another Rs. 110/-!

All in all, I got a robust vehicle ready to swing in action for Rs. 3.4 Lacs. A new vehicle of similar specification would have cost me Rs. 7 Lacs. I am sure a newer vehicle would be lower on maintenance, but I have already saved Rs. 3.6 Lacs and I dont expect this one to spend that amount of money on repairs...

This thing is a terror on our roads!
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1948.jpg  

Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle-dsc_1950.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 9th January 2014 at 17:09.