Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 26th November 2013, 20:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle

Hello guys, we recently bought a pre-owned Civic. After that, me and my family have really started to see and understand the benefits of economies in buying a used vehicle.

Coming to the point, we are looking for a used vehicle which will be used for transporting our staff in construction sites, and of course occasional hauling of light goods. The priorities are -

1) Should be cheap
2) Should have next to negligible maintenance/spares should not be expensive
3) Should be reliable and rugged, should be able to withstand abuse
4) FE should be decent
5) Should have A/C and Power steering!
6) Good ground clearance

Now, the budget is - as cheap as possible. However, we are not willing to buy very abused, old or high mileage vehicles. I am personally fine with vehicles which are driven for about 50k kms and which are about 4-5 years old.

I have shortlisted:
  1. Mahindra Bolero: Fits all requirements to the T. But resale value is high and hence it is over priced when compared to the rest.
  2. Tata Sumo: I dont mind whether it is the Gold or the Victa as long as it has the basic features like AC and PS. The advantage that Sumo has over the Bolero is that it offers more space in all the rows. Plus resale value is not as good as the Bolero, so it is cheaper as well.
  3. Tata Grande: I really like this vehicle because of the styling. Since it was a FLOP, resale value is poor and it is available for a very very tiny premium over the Sumo.
  4. Mahindra Xylo: This obviously demands more money than the above cars. However, there are a lot of Xylos in the used car market than Sumos and Boleros.
  5. Tata Xenon XT: Odd one among the group. I saw one Xenon and I really liked it. It was sparsely driven and in great shape. Asking price was very reasonable too, the same as most Boleros and Xylos. I think a premium pick up will look a class apart in construction sites.
  • Now, I have not considered the Force Cruiser or Toofan because I am apprehensive about its service support.
  • I am a bit inclined towards the Grande because of its better interiors and styling. Will the Grande be able to survive the abuse and poor road conditions of the construction sites? Also, how about spares and ease of servicing when compared to a normal Sumo? Will spares be very very expensive?
  • Does it make sense to go for a 140 bhp Tata Xenon? I guess FE will be poor and spares will be very expensive when compared to the Sumo. But I am getting one for very very cheap.
  • Should I pay a premium and get a Bolero over the Sumo or any other car?
  • Have I missed any good option?
Any inputs will be highly appreciated.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 20:39   #2
BHPian

Default re: Cheap & rugged Pre-owned SUV

I think Sumo Grande fits your bill. Sumo grande is high in comfort and space, will have PS and A/C and if purchased from the owner you will find good ones in the market.

Resale is poor and so you will get a good bargain too. Nothing beats a grande in comfort, space and price. It can still take bad roads and will be far comfortable for people and driver. Its a much underhyped vehicle. It lost the market just for looks otherwise its good.

Spares -Most of the sumo spares will work for Grande so should not be a problem. Spares are cheap and should be available easily.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:27   #3
BHPian

You have only option “BOLERO”.
Search out for a Mumbai registered ‘BOLERO DX’ version of 2006-2008 model. Vehicle is having air con. Although Power steering is not associated with this model but you will not at all miss it. DX was a better VFM than slx version of bolero.
Under body check is very very important for a used SUV. Check for non repaired chassis.
(Alok) is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:29   #4
BHPian

Are you sure you can find a used SUV in good condition from the mentioned segment?
Usually vehicles bought in this segment are pure workhorses and are sold only after completely using them in short after pura paisa vasool. If you can stretch a bit and get the new bolero it would be good. The Sumo Grande is like any other TATA, full of niggles. As you need a reliable vehicle i don't think sumo, grande nor xenon fulfill your requirements.
On the other hand why don't you consider buying a used Tavera or the lower variant Scorpio/ Xylo's? I am sure you can get one of the older models in your budget. Lastly i guess you can even search for some used ICML extreme (the qualis look alike) if at all you are able to find one.
All the best!

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 23:40   #5
BHPian

Reliable and can withstand abuse of construction site - have a look at used innovas. Plenty of them available and even if they are 70-80k kms done will give a trouble free ride till 3L kms with just normal routine service.
malgudi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 23:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bolero is cheap and rugged(if it is in the DI turbo format and not that M2dicr).
But then almost all used Bolero's have clocked close to a lakh kms.

The Sumo Gold 3.0 dicor is more competent as an UV when compared to the wheezing M2dicr in the Bolero.

Or take a look at the Tavera with the 2.5 Isuzu engine. Pure workhorse.

Last edited by ramzsys : 26th November 2013 at 23:47.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 00:15   #7
BHPian

If you are getting a good deal on the Grande and if its in OK condition, then take it. Grande is one such vehicle which you can't call a sumo. The styling looks better than the Xylo. There is a Grande in the colony in maroon colour and it looks good. Aren't the underpinnings same as that of sumo? If yes then it should take abuse.
prokinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 00:20   #8
BHPian

Raj_5004, have you thought of considering Scorpio in the list ?
The Scorpio though may have niggling issues and may be little more costly to maintain than the others in your list, is good to be considered IMO, as they come very cheap nowadays and also high on comfort when compared to bolero. These days there are lot of branded third party service centres coming up, which can help to reduce service costs.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 07:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

I suggest the Safari, yes, your workers will look very stylish arriving in a Safari. The Safari is over engineered and should hold up well, it is also available dirt cheap

I have used it as a people carrier, a luggage carrier, I shifted more than half my house in it and had to call the mini truck only for almirahs, fridge, sofa etc.

The mechanicals are robust, look at it like the vehicle in the Sunny Deol movie Betaab. Its a luxury car but stripped off all its luxury, that made it very reliable!
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 09:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Cheap & rugged Pre-owned SUV

Raj,

I would suggest Innova and Tata Winger, I know Winger is bit odd but have seen the interiors. Very spacious, can accomodate 7-8 people with ease plus any light loads.

http://www.winger-tatamotors.com/app...portation.html

Used Tata Wingers are available in Mumbai for 4L.

http://mumbai.quikr.com/Urgent-sale-...AdIdZ144467869
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 09:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Force Cruiser/Toofan/Gama... ,whatever you think will suit you best. These vehicles are rock solid, reliable and VERY easy to maintain. Nothing really goes wrong with them except the rubber bushes, rubber belts and hoses. These are all pretty easy to find at any Force A.S.S or even in the open market. The spares are dirt cheap and the service costs are pretty low. If you buy new, the engine is guaranteed for 3 Lac kms, and easily lasts a lot more than that. Very cheap to buy too.

The other option you have is a Bolero. Equally priced and easily maintainable. But, very difficult to find an un-abused one in the used market. Almost all of them have meters tampered.

Last edited by roy_libran : 27th November 2013 at 09:20.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I think Sumo Grande fits your bill. Sumo grande is high in comfort and space, will have PS and A/C and if purchased from the owner you will find good ones in the market.

Spares -Most of the sumo spares will work for Grande so should not be a problem. Spares are cheap and should be available easily.
Thank you.

The only concern about the Grande is the 2.2 DICOR engine. It is not known to be very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
You have only option “BOLERO”.
Search out for a Mumbai registered ‘BOLERO DX’ version of 2006-2008 model. Vehicle is having air con. Although Power steering is not associated with this model but you will not at all miss it. DX was a better VFM than slx version of bolero.
Under body check is very very important for a used SUV. Check for non repaired chassis.
The only reason I am hesitant about the Bolero is because it is commanding a HUGE premium over the Sumo and Grande. Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
If you can stretch a bit and get the new bolero it would be good.
A new Bolero with AC costs about 7.5 on road. We are not willing to spend that much on a vehicle which is to be operated in such conditions.

Quote:
The Sumo Grande is like any other TATA, full of niggles. As you need a reliable vehicle i don't think sumo, grande nor xenon fulfill your requirements.
Oh, reliability is a priority. Thank you.

Quote:
On the other hand why don't you consider buying a used Tavera or the lower variant Scorpio/ Xylo's?
They are much more expensive than the Sumo, Bolero and Grande.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Reliable and can withstand abuse of construction site - have a look at used innovas. Plenty of them available and even if they are 70-80k kms done will give a trouble free ride till 3L kms with just normal routine service.
Usd Innovas are very very expensive. They are reliable but spares cost a bomb. Not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Bolero is cheap and rugged(if it is in the DI turbo format and not that M2dicr).
But then almost all used Bolero's have clocked close to a lakh kms.

The Sumo Gold 3.0 dicor is more competent as an UV when compared to the wheezing M2dicr in the Bolero.

Or take a look at the Tavera with the 2.5 Isuzu engine. Pure workhorse.
I am not getting any Sumo Gold in the used car market, mostly all of them are the older Sumos and the Victa.

Tavera costs much more and hence is not considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
If you are getting a good deal on the Grande and if its in OK condition, then take it. Grande is one such vehicle which you can't call a sumo. The styling looks better than the Xylo. There is a Grande in the colony in maroon colour and it looks good. Aren't the underpinnings same as that of sumo? If yes then it should take abuse.
What is your opinion on the infamous 2.2 Dicor engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Raj_5004, have you thought of considering Scorpio in the list ?
The Scorpio though may have niggling issues and may be little more costly to maintain than the others in your list, is good to be considered IMO, as they come very cheap nowadays and also high on comfort when compared to bolero. These days there are lot of branded third party service centres coming up, which can help to reduce service costs.
Scorpios command a premium and hence are much more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I suggest the Safari, yes, your workers will look very stylish arriving in a Safari. The Safari is over engineered and should hold up well, it is also available dirt cheap
We are not looking for a luxury SUV Arun. We need a cheap vehicle which is low on maintenance. The older Safaris are not known to be reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Raj,

I would suggest Innova and Tata Winger, I know Winger is bit odd but have seen the interiors. Very spacious, can accomodate 7-8 people with ease plus any light loads.

http://www.winger-tatamotors.com/app...portation.html

Used Tata Wingers are available in Mumbai for 4L.

http://mumbai.quikr.com/Urgent-sale-...AdIdZ144467869
What about the service support for the Winger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Go for the Force Cruiser/Toofan/Gama... ,whatever you think will suit you best. These vehicles are rock solid, reliable and VERY easy to maintain. Nothing really goes wrong with them except the rubber bushes, rubber belts and hoses. These are all pretty easy to find at any Force A.S.S or even in the open market. The spares are dirt cheap and the service costs are pretty low. If you buy new, the engine is guaranteed for 3 Lac kms, and easily lasts a lot more than that. Very cheap to buy too.
Okay. I will consider the Force vehicles too.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Cheap & rugged Pre-owned SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
What about the service support for the Winger?
The usual TATA service is available but there are specialized division of Tata who do the service. Not the usual places where the LCV are done.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004;3304168
1) Should be cheap
2) Should have next to negligible maintenance/spares should not be expensive
3) Should be reliable and rugged, should be able to withstand abuse
4) FE should be decent
5) Should have A/C and Power steering!
6) Good ground clearance

I have shortlisted:[LIST=1
[*]Mahindra Bolero: Fits all requirements to the T. But resale value is high and hence it is over priced when compared to the rest.[*]Tata Sumo: I dont mind whether it is the Gold or the Victa as long as it has the basic features like AC and PS. The advantage that Sumo has over the Bolero is that it offers more space in all the rows. Plus resale value is not as good as the Bolero, so it is cheaper as well.[*]Tata Grande: I really like this vehicle because of the styling. Since it was a FLOP, resale value is poor and it is available for a very very tiny premium over the Sumo.[*]Mahindra Xylo: This obviously demands more money than the above cars. However, there are a lot of Xylos in the used car market than Sumos and Boleros.[*]Tata Xenon XT: Odd one among the group. I saw one Xenon and I really liked it. It was sparsely driven and in great shape. Asking price was very reasonable too, the same as most Boleros and Xylos. I think a premium pick up will look a class apart in construction sites.[/list]
  • Have I missed any good option?
Any inputs will be highly appreciated.
How about Mahindra Max (the pickup version of bolero) and Mahindra Genio ? Not sure if you can get all those comforts you have mentioned in your list , but bolero pickup is available in 4X4 version too .

Trax is a good option like a lot of them have suggested , very cheap to maintain , can take lot of abuse.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 12:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The only reason I am hesitant about the Bolero is because it is commanding a HUGE premium over the Sumo and Grande. Is it worth it?
Please share your market research, how much difference is there. Mechanicals (& maintenance) of bolero di is simple compare to sumo.
I will prefer di engine vehicle (for both bolero/ sumo) instead of IDI/dicor/CRDe/ m2dicr because of cheap maintenance but again NVH may be an issue (I can bear it, but it depends person to person).
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote