Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 29th May 2014, 11:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Used Grand Vitara - what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
The asking price was 5.5, but after some friendly negotiations he agreed to sell it for 5 lacs. Without giving a second thought, I leaped at it (now I feel I should have given it some more thought).
Right now GV is one of the most VFM used car. It is ridiculously cheap in the used car market, but also pretty rare.

Quote:
Negatives: broken left tail lamp, broken radio antenna, couple of minor scratches, some bumper work (evident from screws), non working central locking, AC requires servicing.
AC may not need servicing, just clean or replace the AC filter. Often Maruti workshops don't clean it ever since they don't know its existence.

My Nov 2007 GV completed 80,000kms yesterday. Other than changing some suspension parts and tyres due to wear and tear, I didn't have to do anything else so far.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 11:25   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

Thanks Samurai. I have two specific questions. One, can I expect better FE than the current 6.3. May be few tune ups required or perhaps something else.

Second, the car was last serviced at 30,000 kms (at least thats what the Maruti workshop records indicate). The guy I bought it from said that another servicing was carried out at approx. 40,000 kms. however I am not sure of this. Maruti workshop where I took the car is quoting an absurdly high price for servicing (around Rs. 20,000). Where can i get it serviced reliably. If you know any workshop in and around Delhi that will be great.
rattanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 12:08   #33
Team-BHP Support

Just noticed it is an AT. You won't get better FE in the city, but it can definitely improve in highways if you drive it like an AT. Do you have prior experience in driving AT?

And 20K for servicing? I think sudev can suggest a better place around Delhi.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 17:25   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd trust Rahul at Motorcraft Sahibabad or Yogendra at Motorcraft Sec8 Noida
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 14:46   #35
BHPian

Default Re: Used Grand Vitara - what to expect?

Quote:
Hello Friends,

neighbor decided to sell his car last month. The asking price was 5.5, but after some friendly negotiations he agreed to sell it for 5 lacs. Without giving a second thought, I leaped at it (now I feel I should have given it some more thought).

Make: Grand Vitara AT 2.0 Nov 2007
Color: Bluish Black
Kms done: 47,000
CNG fitted
Condition: overall very good.
Negatives: broken left tail lamp, broken radio antenna, couple of minor scratches, some bumper work (evident from screws), non working central locking, AC requires servicing.
Cost of Repairs: approx. 6 - 7000 (2600 - tail lamp, 400 - radio antenna, 1200 - AC servicing, 2000 - remote central locking assembly change)

I wish experienced GV owners - Samurai, Sudev or GRV to share their opinion on my rather impromptu purchase and what do they recommend about improving the mileage, if anything can be done.
A sparingly used GV that has been under your daily observation, and that too an AT. You are one lucky chap. I have been on the lookout for something in Pune, but am only getting manuals that have very obviously been abused to the extreme.

Now regarding the FE. I own a 2008 Santro AT. Gives me 11 in the city without a/c. You should expect a range of 7-8.5 for the 2L GV in city use. And you have CNG. So your effective running cost will be lower.

Both Santro & GV have old school 4 speed autos with Torque convertor. I learned, after some trial & errors that it is best to use a light foot on the accelerator and take advantage of the torque convertor's torque boost to get decent acceleration. I accelerate & slow down by suitably feathering the accelerator pedal. In contrast, on manual shift vehicles, you do need to increase the range of acceleration movement to go thru gears. Braking is only for coming to a dead halt or avoiding some moron.

I suspect the claimed 40000 kms service was done by some outside chap & he must have done a sloppy job. MASS is the best. Costing indicated to me was under 10k for regular services. So ask around. Sudev's recommendation in this respect would be the best.

And inspite of all this you want to dispose off the vehicle give me a tinkle.
sridhar-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 16:44   #36
BHPian

Thanks Sudev, I will definitely go to Motorcraft Noida as that is nearer to my home.

@Samurai - No prior experience with AT. I always wanted one though, hence I picked this up without much thought when the offer came along. Any tips to enhance driving and ownership experience will be welcome Thanks.

Regarding the overall experience so far I am more than happy with the performance. Though it does hurt the pocket a bit, but I am liking each aspect of the ownership experience of a GV. Kind of getting a hang of what GV enthusiasts are so enthusiastic about... At the end of the day, I guess whatever you lose in terms of money, you gain more back in terms of driving pleasure .

@ sridhar-v - I definitely dont want to sell this baby. My comment on second thought was more related to gathering some feedback before buying the car. Someone did advise me that AT vehicles can be pretty expensive to maintain and difficult to get repaired if something untoward does happen. Guess I went against that advice. I sure do hope you get your hands on one soon.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th September 2014 at 23:37. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 31st May 2014, 10:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
At the end of the day, I guess whatever you lose in terms of money, you gain more back in terms of driving pleasure

@ sridhar-v - I definitely dont want to sell this baby. My comment on second thought was more related to gathering some feedback before buying the car. Someone did advise me that AT vehicles can be pretty expensive to maintain and difficult to get repaired if something untoward does happen. Guess I went against that advice. I sure do hope you get your hands on one soon.
You are getting a 100% Japanese manufactured vehicle. Also the problems re AT gear boxes were valid in late 70s/early 80s when you got smuggled or ex - embassy vehicles only(thru STC). The AT of the GV is very robust. Plus it is the same unit that also services the 2.4L vehicle (with some ratio changes i guess). So it should have spare margins of loading. That always leads to increased life. Stick to service intervals & do a bit of pre-emptive servicing of belts etc. Should serve you well.

Take the vehicle for a long drive. All the doubts will vanish.
P.S. I have the PDF service manual of the GV. If you want it PM me your email & I will send you a d/l link from dropbox.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 12:25   #38
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
P.S. I have the PDF service manual of the GV. If you want it PM me your email & I will send you a d/l link from dropbox.
I am not allowed to post PMs or email members. Guess I need to wait to cross 25 posts and attain membership status. Will PM you as soon as possible. Thanks buddy.
Old 31st May 2014, 20:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I am not allowed to post PMs or email members. Guess I need to wait to cross 25 posts and attain membership status. Will PM you as soon as possible. Thanks buddy.
Will wait for ur PM. Once you finish the servicing & getting familiar with the vehicle do post a detailed ownership report, concentrating particularly on the AT gearbox and how it is. Also do some initial offroading on simple patches to get the hang of 4x4 & how to handle it with an AT box.
sridhar-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:09   #40
BHPian

Well I sure plan to do that. But first, its time for a few changes. Have placed an order for the tail light with MGP. The water holder for wipers needs replacement too, along with couple of other cosmetic parts. By the way, I took my car to the 3M Motor care yesterday for a wash having read a post about their services few days back. Must say the services were just about satisfactory for the price they charged, nothing spectacular though.
Old 5th June 2014, 21:59   #41
BHPian

Have been looking at a secondary drive.
And found a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 AT for sale. Would like to ask people who own it if it's worth having in terms of comfort/ spare parts availability and so on? How about the ride quality.
Is there anyone someone in Bombay can recommend to have a look-see over the car ?
The PDF service manual for the GV would be awesome to have to in the meanwhile.
Thanks
Ang
Anghammarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 10:57   #42
Team-BHP Support

Don't know about the AT side of things. But ride quality on bad roads is amazing. This is from yesterday.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 11:39   #43
BANNED

Exclamation Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Don't know about the AT side of things. But ride quality on bad roads is amazing. This is from yesterday.

This road is inside the city ? I am never coming to Bangalore at this rate.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 17:57   #44
BHPian

@Mr. Sudev,
@ Samurai
I wish to seek your advice here. Pardon my naivety once again, however I am completely unfamiliar with GV parts and accessories. I need to replace the wiper blades, headlamp light bulb and getting the car serviced.

Wiper blades - what brand will you recommend? I have heard Bosch is the best, though not sure.
Car servicing - you did suggest Yogendra at Motorcraft. Do I need to be aware of any particular things about getting this car serviced?
Headlamps - again what brand will you recommend? I read somewhere that to increase the light output, one needs to install xenon or other similar equipment with a separate relay and protector to protect against the high heat generated?
I thank you sincerely for any suggestions you may have.
Old 13th June 2014, 10:21   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally find OE bulbs sufficient. Instead of adding higher wattage bulb it may be better to add a LED light bar.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote