Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 10th July 2006, 11:43   #1
Default Help! The new Tata TL or Gypsy King?

A friend called me gushing that I just have to check out the Tata TL 4WD.

I called up the company rep (a guy called Sandeep) who was evasive on actual price of the vehicle, but elaborated on the goodies on offer.

Eventually he quoted a figure of 6.2 for the short wheelbase single cab version , which if it includes all the goodies he spoke of is a good deal. A gypsy comes in at 5.8 on road, and all the mods I have planned for it will (half cabin, AC etc) will make it 6.5+.

I saw the Tata TL at a showroom, and it basically looks like a souped up 207. The half cabin is also not exactly what I had in mind :the metallic top cannot be unscrewed and "folded away" when required: a very important requirement for me. I quite liked the aggresively styled front with bullbars and all. But the rear section is quite a dissapointment. The shorter "platform" of the Gypsy looks better, but the longer platform of the TL as compared to the Gypsy will make it ideal for carrying our enfields to track meets!! The AC, stereo etc is a nice touch, but the interiors are very plasticky: but the Gypsy is worse in this regard. Also I am worried the price he mentioned was for the 2WD version: which means I may have to shell out 25 to 50K for the 4WD. Mahindra was quoting 26K more for the 4WD so i think it will be in that range.

Another major disadvantage with the TL is that it is diesel powered. I have nothing personally against Diesels: however some forest reserves in India do! With entry of diesels banned in so many forest reserves I may still have to hire out Gypsies when i go visiting!

So tell me ur POV: 1. a Soft Top MPFI King, modded with a rally cabin ac etc.

2. Tata TL/207 single cab 4WD.

PS: Any feedback on the 4WD used on the TL? What make/type?
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 12:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Cougar, can you re-check on the prices and options of the TL ? The indicative price I got for the dual-cab, turbo inter-cooled, 4WD TL was much higher - closer to 9L on-road.

Guys, correct me if I am wrong here, but I dont think the TL is available in single-cab version.

You could also check the Mahindra invader - but that's also a diesel. Soft top.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 13:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

I get the feeling frokm ur post that u ar e a real outdoors person who travels off teh beaten path quite a bit. Although the diesel of the TL will be far more economical to run, the engine itself is pretty anemic and may not be suffcicient to get u out of sticky situations or a mountain pass etc. The gypsy on the other hand is a veritable mountain goat.

Y dont u look at a used gypsy since u are planning on mods in any case. that G13B engine is virtually indestructible and u should be able to get a good MPFI version for around 4.5L.

himanshugoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:03   #4

No contest boss, get the Gypsy...
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote