Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 17:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,249 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Depending on the position, some companies offer perks to its employees in the form of car financing options, where the company pays the whole amount and all the employee has to do is pay the EMI. There is also some tax saving in the process. We have the same in our company. Sometimes when the employee leaves the company before clearing the dues he has on his car, the company hangs on to the car for safe keeping. This might be the case here.
Good insight. But still not favorable. The previous owner can trouble the buyer in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
On the flip side after you buy it, if things dont work out, you can always sell it at double the price!
Disagree with this point. If this does not works, means 2 things: either legal trouble or mechanical troubles. No sane person will pay a dime for a car which is tangled in legal issues. And if it has mechanical issues, who will pay 6-7 lacs for a 'dabba' when one can have a running Innova from the used car market?
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 18:24   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

I think there is an online system where you can enter reg number and get address etc., of the owner.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 18:29   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,249 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think there is an online system where you can enter reg number and get address etc., of the owner.
Probably some data has been skimmed off for privacy. The one site I can find can show the state and city of registration along with RTO details of the city; but not the onwer's name or address. Here it is: http://www.findandtrace.com/trace-fi...r-registration
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 18:37   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 337 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Depending on the position, some companies offer perks to its employees in the form of car financing options, where the company pays the whole amount and all the employee has to do is pay the EMI. There is also some tax saving in the process. We have the same in our company. Sometimes when the employee leaves the company before clearing the dues he has on his car, the company hangs on to the car for safe keeping. This might be the case here.
In that case, car would be in the name of leasing company, and facilities will have the details on the car. Facilities not knowing about the car makes it tricky.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 21:57   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,818 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Thank you Vidyut for re-opening this thread. Actually after I had requested to close this thread, fellow BHPian a4anurag (thanks to him) shared this useful piece of information, which I thought would be beneficial to other team members

RC/FC Expiry:19-Nov-22
Finance:CITICORP FINANCE (INDIA) LTD
MV Tax upto:(LifeTime)
Confiscated

Now it is crystal clear to me why my company is not able to produce any documents related to this car. All the documents would be with CITICORP FINANCE, RC Card, Insurance etc. I am wondering what is the amount of commission my employer is getting by trying to sell the car on behalf of Citicorp.

Nevertheless this was an eye opener for me. Had it not been for this wonderful community, I would have never know the underlying facts behind this shady deal.

Lesson Learnt:
Go for a used car only if the owner is personally known to you, all the documents are in place, full service history of the car is available and most importantly, it is not being sold at ridiculously low price compared to the market price.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 28th May 2014 at 21:59.
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 22:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Thank you Viddy and AutoIndian for reopening the thread, reason was this information could help some other person who would fall prey to this car and there would be a million ready to buy the car without any homework being done.

I was surprised that a vehicle like Innova, which doesn't be at idle, this very car is idle for 4 years. This was the first warning sign, second warning was the lack of any documents pertaining to car.

In the second picture I found the registration number of this car and started searching the internet to find the details but 'MH government' doesn't disclose information so easily.

I contacted my BIL who stays in Mumbai with the details of this car. He replies saying it is a "confiscated". I was shocked, so he sent me a mobile number to which the cars registration number if sent will revert with the details.

Send a message to this number

"09212357123 in the below format:

VAHAN MH12EM0656"

Screen shot:
Name:  ForumRunner_20140528_224336.png
Views: 2704
Size:  63.6 KB


The Details:
Name:  ForumRunner_20140528_224355.png
Views: 2679
Size:  54.1 KB

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th May 2014 at 22:55.
a4anurag is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 10:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,249 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Send a message to this number

"09212357123 in the below format:

VAHAN MH12EM0656"
Amazing work Anurag. Turns out to be the case I was suspecting to be.
BTW, is the no. you stated is national or pertaining only to Maharashtra? Can users of other states use this no. for vehicles registered in other than Maharashtra?

Thanks again.
Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 10:51   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,521
Thanked: 2,253 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Amazing work Anurag. Turns out to be the case I was suspecting to be.
BTW, is the no. you stated is national or pertaining only to Maharashtra? Can users of other states use this no. for vehicles registered in other than Maharashtra?

Thanks again.
Regards,
Saket
Works pan India, I just checked the details of a few DL registered cars. This seems to be the SMS based service of the Vahan website - https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...rchDetails.jsp. Though the facility on web seems to be withdrawn for now, SMS still works!

Here's an old thread on the Vahan/Sarathi system - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-all-rtos.html (Vahan & Sarathi - Software used by all RTO's)
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 10:59   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Amazing work Anurag. Turns out to be the case I was suspecting to be.
BTW, is the no. you stated is national or pertaining only to Maharashtra? Can users of other states use this no. for vehicles registered in other than Maharashtra?
This facility can be used for all over India. There was the online website by "Vahan" where you key in the number the details but as mentioned by 'DryIce' has been discontinued.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 11:00   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,249 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Works pan India, I just checked the details of a few DL registered cars. This seems to be the SMS based service of the Vahan website - https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...rchDetails.jsp. Though the facility on web seems to be withdrawn for now, SMS still works!

Here's an old thread on the Vahan/Sarathi system - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-all-rtos.html (Vahan & Sarathi - Software used by all RTO's)
Thanks!
I just tried with my car's registration no. However, I got the reply as:
'Vehicle details not found. Verify the vehicle no. or contact registering authority for digitization of details.'

Then I tried checking my bike's registration which is newer than my car and bingo! It worked.
I think that the old RC books, which were in form of paper have not been digitized. The RCs in form of smart card are the one seem to be working.

But great piece of information. Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 11:55   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 967 Times
Default re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

I hope the OP does update the final (not his) bid price for this vehicle.
I think the Facilities and Admin dept is just trying to fleece their employees.
Try selling this same vehicle to a Used car dealer ...
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 12:16   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 695 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you Vidyut for re-opening this thread. Actually after I had requested to close this thread, fellow BHPian a4anurag (thanks to him) shared this useful piece of information, which I thought would be beneficial to other team members

RC/FC Expiry:19-Nov-22
Finance:CITICORP FINANCE (INDIA) LTD
MV Tax upto:(LifeTime)
Confiscated

Now it is crystal clear to me why my company is not able to produce any documents related to this car. All the documents would be with CITICORP FINANCE, RC Card, Insurance etc. I am wondering what is the amount of commission my employer is getting by trying to sell the car on behalf of Citicorp.

Nevertheless this was an eye opener for me. Had it not been for this wonderful community, I would have never know the underlying facts behind this shady deal.

Lesson Learnt:
Go for a used car only if the owner is personally known to you, all the documents are in place, full service history of the car is available and most importantly, it is not being sold at ridiculously low price compared to the market price.
Is the employer trying to cheat its own employees by passing on a car thats legally entangled?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 29th May 2014 at 12:18.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 12:52   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Is the employer trying to cheat its own employees by passing on a car thats legally entangled?
Don't know who is trying to cheat whom. I'm a surprised as to why on earth is that cat being possessed when the facilities department had no documents and information.

Either they are ignorant or are getting a hefty commission to sell such cars without any doubt. Not all do homework before buying and this car in question being an Innova people will jump with their cheque books, moreover, this sale that is happening via the company so its employees will trust them and buy it. Emotional touch you see!

Good that this thread was started else AutoIndian would have been in an issue with this car in future.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 14:47   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Now it is crystal clear to me why my company is not able to produce any documents related to this car. All the documents would be with CITICORP FINANCE, RC Card, Insurance etc. I am wondering what is the amount of commission my employer is getting by trying to sell the car on behalf of Citicorp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I contacted my BIL who stays in Mumbai with the details of this car. He replies saying it is a "confiscated". I was shocked, so he sent me a mobile number to which the cars registration number if sent will revert with the details.

Send a message to this number

"09212357123 in the below format:
VAHAN MH12EM0656"
Here is a new puzzle then - Confiscated vehicles CAN be sold by the hypothecator (financier) to anyone. It is perfectly legal and acceptable way to dispose the vehicle. Example confiscation of vehicle for non payment of EMI is valid in a court of law and the financier can sell the vehicle to someone else.

We need to know the reason of confiscation. If it is money related like non payment of EMI, then it is a valid scenario. If it is confiscated for say carrying contraband, then it is not possible to sell, but then the vehicle would be confiscated and held at a police station.

Multiple questions -
  1. Why did citibank not try to sell the vehicle in the 4 years time.
  2. Why is the confiscated vehicle parked in office premises and not in citibank premises
  3. Did citibank take 4 years to realize that payments were due on it but payments are being defaulted?
  4. Why should the organization in question get a bribe / cut here. Citibank themselves can auction out a hot selling Innova.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 14:51   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Multiple questions -
  1. Why did citibank not try to sell the vehicle in the 4 years time.
  2. Why is the confiscated vehicle parked in office premises and not in citibank premises
  3. Did citibank take 4 years to realize that payments were due on it but payments are being defaulted?
  4. Why should the organization in question get a bribe / cut here. Citibank themselves can auction out a hot selling Innova.
I guess only Citicorp can answer all these doubts.

I really feel something is fishy and the truth either by Citicorp is not being told or by the company AutoIndian works for. Someone is definitely hiding something to its employees.

Food for thought: How many more cars are lying in the company premises in such condition?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years away diffsoft The Indian Car Scene 95 8th May 2013 18:49
Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead! MileCruncher Travelogues 62 7th December 2011 23:12
Walked thru the door! abk Introduce yourself 5 4th September 2008 14:04
Considering INNOVA diesel, pls give ur suggestions naveendhyani SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 6 7th March 2006 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks