Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 30th December 2014, 14:51   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a Car in the Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerByHeart View Post
I have liked a 2013 Blue Ford Taurus Limited. 3.6 V6 FWD.... I will purchase the car, if no issues.
Did you buy the Taurus? If you do take it up to Ford for a full service; do type in a feed back.

My friend is in two minds; he wants to buy a pre-owned Ford Edge Sport; but most ppl around him are saying Ford's service is bad; he will have to leave the car for a week for regular service. Sadly, none of these 'advisers' drive a Ford car.

So, am doing a reality check for him.
Thanks!
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 15:48   #122

Default Car to fit baby stroller & wheelchair

Hi,
I'm currently based in Dubai. Need some urgent advice on what cars I should be looking at.
I need a car that can fit a folded wheelchair and a folded stroller in the back. Also, it should be able to fit 4 adults (including driver) + baby seat. It should also be easy to get into and out of (for the person in the wheelchair). So, nothing too high like a prado, fortuner etc.
Add to that a budget of approx. 120000 AED

Looking around, I thought the mazda6 station wagon fit the bill. However, this region has only a very basic version on offer (not even rear ac vents which, I think, is a major dealbreaker for Dubai summers). So, the mazda6 wagon is probably out.
What are my other options?

Abhi
abhieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 12:02   #123
BHPian

Default Re: Car to fit baby stroller & wheelchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhieagle View Post
Hi,
I'm currently based in Dubai. Need some urgent advice on what cars I should be looking at.
I need a car that can fit a folded wheelchair and a folded stroller in the back. Also, it should be able to fit 4 adults (including driver) + baby seat. It should also be easy to get into and out of (for the person in the wheelchair). So, nothing too high like a prado, fortuner etc.

Looking around, I thought the mazda6 station wagon fit the bill. However, this region has only a very basic version on offer (not even rear ac vents which, I think, is a major dealbreaker for Dubai summers). So, the mazda6 wagon is probably out.

Abhi
Have you checked the new Maszda CX5 yet ? new accord is also a very good option
toms_2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 12:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Abhi
The CX-5 is a very good option, interiors are luxurious and spacious. The boot is large enough but you might find the seating a bit too high.
Last i heard was the Mazda 6 top-spec prices have been dropped by at least 15K AED, now the top-spec is available for around 103-105K AED from the earlier 119K AED.

Others are the:
Ford Explorer (seems expensive to maintain post the first few years and a bit on the higher side to get in and out),
RAV4 (everyone has it and might be difficult to get in and out),
Koleos (Low on resale, might be difficult to get in and out as well),
Tiguan mid-spec (Maintenance might be a costly affair in the later years),

The Tiguan especially is just like walking onto a high chair, should be comfortable for your needs.

Last edited by srs_shetty87 : 31st March 2015 at 12:56. Reason: Overlooked a few pointers
srs_shetty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 13:08   #125
BHPian

Hi,

We have a 2005 Rav4 in Bahrain which has done a shade over 190k kms. The car has been extremely reliable and comfortable. A family friend has recently got the new one in Riyadh and is quite happy with it. I personally would suggest you avoid VAG cars in the middle east. The CX-5 is good. My best friend had one in 2009, but it was sold at a throw away price due to its extremely poor resale value. If you are fine with that then do consider it. Otherwise you can also have a look at the X-trail and the Pathfinder.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 13:33   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I need a car that can fit a folded wheelchair and a folded stroller in the back.

Abhi
I can think of -

Chevrolet Traverse
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento (New)
Mazda CX-9
Nissan Pathfinder (New)
Toyota Previa

My pick would be the Santa Fe or CX-9.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 13:33   #127

Thanks guys for the inputs. I've got a lot of shopping around to do...
I love the Mazda6. Yes the top spec Mazda6 is around 104k with some freebies thrown in as well. However, the boot is narrow (vertically) and I feel it won't fit in both a stroller and wheelchair.
The pathfinder I like is out of my budget unfortunately.
I think I'll check out the CX-5, tiguan and RAV4 first. I'm also wondering if a sedan with a big boot might work as well, like the accord suggested by toms.
abhieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:48   #128
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Currently I drive a 2012 model accord. Loan on my car will be clear soon and that's when I plan to replace it.
I am a sedan guy so no SUV or MUV for me.

Please suggest a car which should feel like an upgrade. I am looking at pre owed cars only. I was thinking about getting a 3 series but during the test drive it didn't feel like an upgrade specially in the space department.

Also let me know that out of these 4 brands which will be the cheapest to maintain. I intend to maintain the car from 3rd party garages and not from the agencies.

Merc E Class
BMW 5 Series
Audi A6
Jaguar XF

My budget is around AED 100,00

Please help.
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 15:58   #129
BHPian

Default Buying a Car in the Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hi Guys,

Currently I drive a 2012 model accord. Loan on my car will be clear soon and that's when I plan to replace it.

I am a sedan guy so no SUV or MUV for me.

Please suggest a car which should feel like an upgrade. I am looking at pre owed cars only. I was thinking about getting a 3 series but during the test drive it didn't feel like an upgrade specially in the space department.

Also let me know that out of these 4 brands which will be the cheapest to maintain. I intend to maintain the car from 3rd party garages and not from the agencies.

Merc E Class

BMW 5 Series

Audi A6

Jaguar XF

Please help.

Look for a 535i/528i. It's a beautiful car. You won't regret going in for one.
If you want a luxury car which is cheap on maintenance then don't look at anything beyond the Lexus is/gs. They are pretty reliable.
Of the mentioned brands, I think a BMW should be easier to maintain.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 22nd November 2015 at 16:00.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 18:18   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Look for a 535i/528i. It's a beautiful car. You won't regret going in for one.
If you want a luxury car which is cheap on maintenance then don't look at anything beyond the Lexus is/gs. They are pretty reliable.
Of the mentioned brands, I think a BMW should be easier to maintain.

Asit
Hi Asit,

Thank you for the reply.
I am big fan of BMW's specially 5 series and 535 to be precise. The only thing which I am afraid of is its maintenance cost.

Lexus IS is BIG time low on space. It comes with all the bells and whistles but space is something you won't be very comfortable with.
Old 22nd November 2015, 18:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Merc E Class
BMW 5 Series
Audi A6
Jaguar XF

Please help.
The Mercedes followed by the BMW would be cheapest to maintain from the list you have given.

But, other than that it would be best to go for Lexus GS or the equivalent Infiniti as you can't go wrong with them, especially the Lexus.

Am talking from my knowledge of the Saudi market, but AFAIK, UAE is bit more brand snobbish. If i were you, i would go for the Lexus GS eyes closed.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:37   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Mercedes followed by the BMW would be cheapest to maintain from the list you have given.

But, other than that it would be best to go for Lexus GS or the equivalent Infiniti as you can't go wrong with them, especially the Lexus.

Am talking from my knowledge of the Saudi market, but AFAIK, UAE is bit more brand snobbish. If i were you, i would go for the Lexus GS eyes closed.
Mercedes will be cheapest to maintain out of the list mentioned above?
I was not aware of that!

I also thought about lexus, but IS series are the only ones which look appealing to me. ES GS and LS are not of my liking. Apart from that a decent GS (Less than 90K on Odo and pre 2012 model) will cost you atleast 130K and above.
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:01   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mercedes will be cheapest to maintain out of the list mentioned above?
I was not aware of that!
The Europeans are always heavy on the pocket, but compared to Audi and Jaguar for maintenance cost Merc and BMW are better off, relatively

Quote:
I also thought about lexus, but IS series are the only ones which look appealing to me. ES GS and LS are not of my liking. Apart from that a decent GS (Less than 90K on Odo and pre 2012 model) will cost you atleast 130K and above.
There you have the answer. Its not for nothing that the GS is commanding such a resale value.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:39   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Merc E Class
BMW 5 Series
Audi A6
Jaguar XF

Please help.
Japanese luxury cars would be a very sensible and economical choice for the age/mileage of cars, considering your budget. Maintenance for any European luxury car is going to break the bank once you have to start replacing parts.
Extend your budget by a bit and get yourself a Japanese luxury car.

Maintenance for Mercedes will be reasonable unless you have to change any parts. Same goes for BMW, but the parts are a bit more costlier than Mercs.
Don't bother about Audi/ Jaguars since you are not going in for new cars.

Do let us know what you decide on.
srs_shetty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 16:14   #135
BHPian

My ride in UAE. Covered 60000 Kms in one year
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Car in the Middle East-my-car.jpg  

DrvSafe is offline   Reply With Quote