Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 12th July 2015, 23:06   #91
Senior - BHPian

I recently took an ertiga to bharatpur from Delhi and back. I loved the ride, the handling, the comfort. But I seriously could not get the point of the rear row.
Hear me out.
One child seat, and three adults,all adults under 5.75 ft. And we sat comfortably. And there was no room for anyone over 4 ft in the rear.
3 duffels, one suitcase, and an umbrella pram. And the rear seat and boot were filled up. I couldn't put anything else in the back without it being a danger under braking. And getting things in and out was an experience not unlike going to the gym.
Everything apart from this was wonderful, and I'm not cribbing by comparing it to an SUV. It seriously took less luggage with more difficulty than my fiesta.
Did I use this car wrong, or should the rear seats be removed completely and make this a full time 4 seater?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 01:05   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Is there a *true* 7-seater in the Indian MUV market? Xylo vs Innova vs Ertiga/Mobilio

Well, this indeed is an interesting question put up. But I'm afraid there is no real answer to it yet. And looking at the current scenario, neither do I think there will be any in the near future. Allow me to explain.

A seven seater is naturally any car that may seat seven. But I think a 'proper' seven seater is a slightly different concept. And I agree with our friend who said that it should offer comparable seating experience to all three rows, rather than somehow accomodating the last row. In other words, proper seven seaters should be made seven seaters, not engineered to fit in the last row later on. Hence, it is quite expectedly the big boxy MPV's and wagons that fit in three rows the best.

However, our Innovas and Ertigas are meant to be 'family cars', and not such 'people carriers'. There is a difference between a family car and a people carrier. According to me, the logic behind these family cars must be that, a typical family would contain four to five well-built adults, and maybe a couple of children or a small adult. Hence the small third row is justified. The third row can also make way for luggage, as it is a family car after all. Hence luggage space with all rows up is next to none.

It's another point however, that they are still extensively used as people carriers in our country. And yet another point that they still work, sometimes exceptionally so, for some people. Perhaps that is because most people may not even expect proper comfort in the last rows of these cars, and if they are able to sit without too much pain, they find themselves happy. But that it works for a few doesn't necessarily mean that the last row should be genuinely usable.
The best bet on a proper people carrier in our country would easily be the Nissan Evalia hands down. That car has a proper third row with a tall enough last seat and more than sufficient width at the back. Also the big glasshouse helps to give an airy feel. And the best part is that with all rows up, there's still good amount of luggage space, which can't be said of either of the Innova and Xylo, let alone the smaller Ertiga and Mobilio.
It's a shame that it is being discontinued from our market as it just did not work for our people.

And similarly, any of these proper people carriers, ie vans or wagons, will simply not work in India the way they work in other countries. In the West, there is a genuine market for these vans. There are even people who use vans as their daily drivers from what I've heard. The likes of the Merc Viano and Ford Transit and others are quite popular there. They sell due to their sheer practicality.
I have personally travelled in a Merc Viano Taxi in Singapore while I visited there, and I will confidently say, it's by far the most comfortable seven seater I have traveled in, a far cry from the tourist Innovas I have occasionally traveled in here.

However, here in India, an MPV, and a car in general, is expected to be more than just functional. There is just too much of prestige and joy associated with a car (not to be mistaken for love for cars) and driving around in a big van is just too un-cool for us. Further, there is an SUV factor associated with these MPV's, and there are a huge number of people who think of SUV's and people carriers in the same sense. In fact, some of them cannot even imagine a non-SUV people carrier.
Hence, these vans struggle to survive, let alone compete. Okay, it is understandable for private buyers, as they may not travel seven up all the time, and the size is not manageable for everyone, but even for the fleet operators, the hotel cars, company cars, Airport Taxis, etc. where the Evalia would have been almost the perfect solution, the Innovas and Xylos still find preference. The two above mentioned factors are majorly at play here.

Maybe the fact that Nissan tried to position the Evalia wrongly also resulted in its failure. They priced it at a premium, and tried to sell it as a private family car with beige interiors and car-like features, which was never going to work. They should have significantly undercut the price of the Innova to attract all types of commercial buyers and sold the Evalia in different configurations like panel van, chilled van, ambulance, etc. The AL Stile was there for the sake of it, but it was never seen of, neither was any availability or service related information heard of. The rural areas love their Boleros and Tempo Traxes far too much to let go of them any soon, so no sales can be expected out of there.

Hence, the Evalia did not work out unfortunately, and now seeing the failure of the Evalia, other manufacturers would be reluctant to launch their own vans here. So till the demand increases and the tastes of the commercial market mainly change in favour of these vans, and someone makes a brave effort to launch another Evalia here, we aren't seeing the vans anymore.

Speaking of which, I had another question. Looking at the Ertiga and Mobilio, and the fact that our market has matured to the fact that non-SUV seven seaters are legit, could the long forgotten form factor, estates, be reintroduced with such part-time third rows here?? They have the car-like handling and performance factors covered. Can our market warm up to such an idea?
mukul32 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 15:09   #93
BHPian

Default Re: Is there a *true* 7-seater in the Indian MUV market? Xylo vs Innova vs Ertiga/Mobilio

Having a seven seater family car is more of a utility vehicle than a matter of prestige is what I feel.We have seen mostly Innova's are bought by politicians or taxi operators. Whenever the family thinks of a picnic or long distance drive the only thing that comes to mind is an Innova ( name has become a synonym like Jeep ). All we needed was a comfortable family car which can seat about 5 to 6 adults and one or two kids and affordable too. For such kind of stuff we have good choices now starting with Lodgy, Mobilo and Ertiga. In these three cars Mobilio comes very close to an estate type of a car and Ertiga is more for 5 people and 2 kids in the back.

I can tell for sure that having owned Renault Lodgy for about close to two months is good bet for prospective buyers in this segment. Have done close 2K kms in the same with most of the drive in the higways with close to 6 adults and 2 kids.Never felt better as there were no complaints from the family. I feel Renault has hit the right spot. Our citizens should be open to test drive the same and make a "lodycal" decision as the value it offers is the best in the class for the money paid.
raghutk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 19:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Somehow these "neither here nor there" kind of mini MUVs like Ertiga/Enjoyment/Mobilio doesn't make sense to me.
They actually do.
From the official review:
Quote:
Maruti may not be looking at targeting the Innova or Xylo as much as it is positioning the Ertiga as a sedan-alternative. Those who need the larger 7-seater MUVs will buy those only; the Ertiga isn't a substitute to a spacious UV that can easily accommodate 7 adults. Instead, the target customer is the middle aged 35 - 45 year old buyer who usually opts for a B+ hatch or a C segment sedan. This, despite living in a family of 6 - 7 members. Such a customer isn't going to use the 3rd row of seats everyday; at best, it's once or twice a week...the type that needs a 7 seater mostly for weekends and outstation trips. Maruti even refers to the Ertiga as a "5+2" seater, and not a pure 7 seater.
The last row of seats are for kids only/short adults. It'll do for the late night movie trip. Or for the city trip. It'll do for the nuclear family who has occasional visitors.

At best, it'll be used occasionally.

And one huge advantage of these mini MPVs is their high ground clearance compared to Sedans.

On the other hand, sedans have lot of advantages, but there'll be a set of people who'll buy these mini MPVs only.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 00:09   #95
BHPian

My car is a Maruti Ritz and I am looking for a bigger car or MUV. My son is 5 months old and when we go on a long drive, we always need to carry his stroller (folded and kept in the boot). Next month I am contemplating to buy a rear-facing infant seat too. With these 2 child 'accessories' in the car, the boot and rear seat are taken. Its nearly impossible to carry any more luggage or accommodate my parents or friends. I thought of starting the test drive phase of car-purchasing-cycle by taking test drive of the Sumo BS4 85 PS version. I called up Concorde Motors Kadubisenahalli, (Marathalli - Bangalore branch) today afternoon and inquired about the Sumo. To my surprise, the person who recieved my call was not aware whether any Sumo is available for TD or not; hopelessly, he was not even aware whether they were selling Sumo through this outlet. This is their sales-exclusive (no servicing or workshop) outlet in the Bangalore I.T. district. When will Tata Motor dealers ever get serious about having a good & pro-active sales team?
Next Saturday, I'll try out the new Bolero power+ . I hope I'll get a positive response from a M&M dealer. Maybe I'll TD Xylo & Mobilio too to check seating & luggage space.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 25th September 2016 at 00:11.
ankan.m.blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 00:40   #96
BHPian

I wonder why no one talks about buying a new/used Xylo as a family car in 2017.

Please help me understand as I am probably 5-6 months away from investing in a used Xylo for my joint family in Chennai:
1) Is the Xylo long in the tooth as a model, not fashionable and probably going to get phased out?
2) Is it true that its highway handling and crash survivability (or the lack of it) makes it unsafe? I have heard this point from friends.

I haven't seen a single Xylo review or ownership experience accounted for on Tbhp threads...I haven't used the 'search' functionality to mine for such threads on the Xylo, but it made me stop & think - why don't I find Xylo threads as easily I do threads on the Innova?

I would consider getting a used E8 model with ABS and front airbags, with < 80,000 Km on the odometer. I want a used MUV particularly so that I won't be taking the hit of the depreciation that hits new car buyers. But, I do intend to keep the vehicle for long and run it into the ground. I can handle any niggles since we have a trusted "local" mechanic who can help in buying and maintaining it...primary use will be to take it out fully packed with family on highways.

I detest the high prices on Innovas. And the Lodgy and Enjoy aren't quite in the same people-moving league.

Does my plan sound sensible? Please let me know.

PS: I am not going to be in India till Dec 2017.
locusjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:25   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

Please help me understand as I am probably 5-6 months away from investing in a used Xylo for my joint family in Chennai:
1) Is the Xylo long in the tooth as a model, not fashionable and probably going to get phased out?
2) Is it true that its highway handling and crash survivability (or the lack of it) makes it unsafe? I have heard this point from friends.

I haven't seen a single Xylo review or ownership experience accounted for on Tbhp threads...I haven't used the 'search' functionality to mine for such threads on the Xylo, but it made me stop & think - why don't I find Xylo threads as easily I do threads on the Innova?

I would consider getting a used E8 model with ABS and front airbags, with < 80,000 Km on the odometer. I want a used MUV particularly so that I won't be taking the hit of the depreciation that hits new car buyers. But, I do intend to keep the vehicle for long and run it into the ground. I can handle any niggles since we have a trusted "local" mechanic who can help in buying and maintaining it...primary use will be to take it out fully packed with family on highways.

I detest the high prices on Innovas. And the Lodgy and Enjoy aren't quite in the same people-moving league.

Hi, Xylo is very practical car if you are ready to live with the cons:

1. It has a Taxi / Cab image. You will see lot of Xylo's as office cabs. There was also an instance mentioned in one of the team bhp ownership thread, that someone accidentally got into his car thinking it was a cab.

2. Niggles - Mahindra have not paid attention to addressing issues in Xylo as much as they did with XUV. You will have to live with constant niggles but mind you the engine is a gem.

3. This is a big car so expect the handling to be poor, boat like ride quality and also the breaks will not be effective enough.

4. It is best advised to stay away from used Mahindra Vehicles.

But if you are still confident on your search and capable of maintaining a Mahindra, why not a used Scorpio instead, it shouldn't be as expensive as the Innova?
Kratos453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can list the below reasons:
  • Xylo is purely a MPV/MUV in its truest sense. Those people who want to carry 6/7/8 people most of the times, only would opt for Xylo. Small nuclear families would never touch a Xylo even with a barge pole.
  • Dated, boxy looks: No one is going to buy a Xylo for its looks. It is "all function and no/little form"
  • Ageing platform: This car has been in the market for almost a decade and M&M is almost on the verge of launching Xylo replacement.
  • Cabbies favorite: People usually shy away from the cars popular as cabs (Innova being an exception). Even today cars are being looked upon as "status symbol" and have "aspiration value". Xylo offers none of that.
Quote:
Already answered above

Quote:

I won't comment on the highway handling and crash survivability and let the owners speak for themselves. Within 5 minutes I could dig out 14 Xylo ownership threads for you. What I did was to go to the "Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports" forum and search for "Mahindra Xylo" and below are the results. One observation, most (if not all) of the Xylos at least here on TBHP are the E8-ABS models.
  1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...east-here.html (Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS):-Spacious, Feature-Packed, 8-Seater, Head-Turner Beast is Here)
  2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...lo-e8-abs.html (My Experience With Xylo E8 Abs)
  3. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...15000-kms.html (Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms)
  4. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pressions.html (The 2012 Mahindra Xylo; first impressions)
  5. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...lo-e8-abs.html (Bought a new Xylo E8 ABS)
  6. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...car-owner.html (The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.)
  7. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...y-xylo-e8.html (My first buy - Xylo E8)
  8. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...appy-legs.html (White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-))
  9. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e6-2009-a.html (Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.)
  10. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...8-musings.html (My Mahindra Xylo E8 Musings)
  11. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ndra-xylo.html (My new Mahindra Xylo)
  12. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e8-family.html (New Addition to the Xylo E8 Family !!)
  13. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...lo-e8-abs.html (Chocolate Walrus - Xylo E8 ABS)
  14. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...d-e8-xylo.html (Booked the E8 Xylo)
Quote:

I agree that Innova commands a premium even in the used car market. But if you could let us know your budget then that can help us suggest you better options.

I do agree that the Enjoy and Ertiga are not true people movers like the Innova or Xylo, however the Lodgy comes very close. Although monocoque build, it is quite robust and has a proven engine.

You have ample time at your disposal. I suggest you can wait till M&M launches the all new Innova rivalling MPV. Further details on this thread --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-chennai.html (New Mahindra MPV caught testing in Chennai)
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:50   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Another car you can consider is the Hexa. Other than Xylo it is the only mpv which has seats for all 7 adult occupants.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Xylo just does not cut it as a personal vehicle anymore. Multiple reasons like

Looks boxy and weird. Taxi image.
Crude interiors.
Horrible dynamics. Lots of body roll. Poor brakes.
Passengers in the third row tend to throw up.
Unrefined driving experience.
Pays only lip service towards safety. (just like most other cars of a similar price band)
Pretty much obsolete in the current market scenario.

Basically, it's a utilitarian box on wheels much like the Eeco, only bigger. You buy it when you need the space, but can't afford anything better.

Ertiga and Mobilio/BRV are just not big enough. They are small hatchbacks masquerading as UVs and the basic compromises like lack of width, weedy engines and poor build quality are obvious.

With the Innova Crysta being so much more expensive, there is only one vehicle that fits the bill as a genuine 7 seater which can be used as a personal or family car. The Tata Hexa. Lower XE model is tremendous value for money and has all basic minimum equipment.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't seen a single Xylo review or ownership experience accounted for on Tbhp threads...
I detest the high prices on Innovas. And the Lodgy and Enjoy aren't quite in the same people-moving league. Does my plan sound sensible? Please let me know.

I have been a satisfied Xylo owner for over 5 years now, moving my family of 6 people in comfort, on several highway trips across the countryside.

I have highlighted both the pros and cons of the vehicle in my thread (link below):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...44-000-km.html (Mahindra Xylo Ownership Review @ 44,000 km)

My Xylo odo reading stands at 58000 kms today. Hope you find my above review useful to make a decision
mooza is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:25   #102
Senior - BHPian

As Bhpian AutoIndian has pointed out our Ownership Thread of Xylo E8 ABS, I am very Happy to inform you that our Xylo has run more than 291K Kms since 11-11-2009.
The only expenses were on Diesel, Tolls, Suspension Parts, AC Servicing, Tyres, Batteries, Coolant Hoses, and Lubricants.
1-2 times Tappet Cover Packing was replaced as the Tappet Cover used to become wet with oil or Diesel don't know.

Still returns 13-14kpl overall FE. The car is running with Factory Assembled Engine till date. Touchwood.

You can check here Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS (Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS):-Spacious, Feature-Packed, 8-Seater, Head-Turner Beast is Here)

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 3rd September 2017 at 15:28.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am very Happy to inform you that our Xylo has run more than 291K Kms since 11-11-2009.

Still returns 13-14kpl overall FE. The car is running with Factory Assembled Engine till date. Touchwood.
I can vouch for this part. The old school Mahindra 2.5 is a real workhorse. I have a Scorpio with the 2.6 DI engine that has clocked 4.5L km. The engine has needed absolutely no attention apart from regular oil and filter changes, and is still going strong.

The current mHawk 2.2 engine is nowhere near as robust and long lasting.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 21:22   #104
BHPian

Thanks to all who took their time out to reply to what seems to be a lackadaisical post by me. Trust me - I wasn't trying to act superfluously by not actively using the 'search' functionality for the ownership threads on the Xylo. It's just the rarity of such threads that made me stop before I dived in any further. Also, I have been immersed mostly in the North American automobile market for 5 years now. It feels like I am returning to an alien market almost. Thanks for your patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
Hi, Xylo is very practical car if you are ready to live with the cons:
But if you are still confident on your search and capable of maintaining a Mahindra, why not a used Scorpio instead, it shouldn't be as expensive as the Innova?
Thanks for listing out the cons...I think I can live with those actually. And a Scorpio seems to be quite cramped ergonomically on the inside. I can't live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I can list the below reasons:
  • Ageing platform: This car has been in the market for almost a decade and M&M is almost on the verge of launching Xylo replacement.
Already answered above

I agree that Innova commands a premium even in the used car market. But if you could let us know your budget then that can help us suggest you better options.
Sir, if my memory serves me right - you are the Orange TUV300 owner. I have been eyeing your thread for months now...but alas, my family back in India have disregarded the Tank.

About the cons you listed for the Xylo, the fact that it is at the end of its lifecycle is what gives me a moment to pause, more than the rest. It's good that resale values will plummet further that I can exploit when buying. Bad because it will impact spare part avaiability to an extent and my own resale value down the road, however far that is...

My budget is around Rs.6L tops. I have investment plans that discourage splurging on a car anymore than that. But I can bend my plans if required...

I will watch out for the next MUV from Mahindra meanwhile...thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Another car you can consider is the Hexa. Other than Xylo it is the only mpv which has seats for all 7 adult occupants.

Rahul
I remember the distinct warning note by GTO on the Hexa official review thread - the Hexa is bad for tall drivers. I happen to be 6'4" tall with extra long lower-half That probably rules out the Hexa, but I'll TD the Hexa once at least. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Xylo just does not cut it as a personal vehicle anymore. Multiple reasons like

Horrible dynamics. Lots of body roll. Poor brakes. You have my attention
Passengers in the third row tend to throw up. Whoa!
Pays only lip service towards safety. (just like most other cars of a similar price band) My attention went up a notch!

Basically, it's a utilitarian box on wheels much like the Eeco, only bigger. You buy it when you need the space, but can't afford anything better. I can afford more, I just wanted to buy used and derive more value out of it, in the Tbhp spirit of things. If the Xylo is bad enough, I'll drop it!

Ertiga and Mobilio/BRV are just not big enough. They are small hatchbacks masquerading as UVs and the basic compromises like lack of width, weedy engines and poor build quality are obvious. I agree. I absolutely need 3 person-capacity in the 2nd row.

With the Innova Crysta being so much more expensive, there is only one vehicle that fits the bill as a genuine 7 seater which can be used as a personal or family car. The Tata Hexa. Lower XE model is tremendous value for money and has all basic minimum equipment.
Unfortunately, the Hexa seems to be unfit for tall people, as I replied just above...I'll need to TD it to see just how bad it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I have been a satisfied Xylo owner for over 5 years now, moving my family of 6 people in comfort, on several highway trips across the countryside.

I have highlighted both the pros and cons of the vehicle in my thread (link below):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...44-000-km.html (Mahindra Xylo Ownership Review @ 44,000 km)

My Xylo odo reading stands at 58000 kms today. Hope you find my above review useful to make a decision
Thank you sir! I have gone through your thread. I'll need to test drive a Xylo with my family in it, to personally judge it now. But your account showcases its reliability. I just need to see the body roll and braking and third-row comfort first-hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
As Bhpian AutoIndian has pointed out our Ownership Thread of Xylo E8 ABS, I am very Happy to inform you that our Xylo has run more than 291K Kms since 11-11-2009.
The only expenses were on Diesel, Tolls, Suspension Parts, AC Servicing, Tyres, Batteries, Coolant Hoses, and Lubricants.
1-2 times Tappet Cover Packing was replaced as the Tappet Cover used to become wet with oil or Diesel don't know.

You can check here Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS (Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS):-Spacious, Feature-Packed, 8-Seater, Head-Turner Beast is Here)
Holy cow! I didn't even think that personally owned cars in India can be run viably beyond 2L Km. I envy you sir. I personally believe that cars have character and if properly maintained, they serve us for long. It's just that I thought in Indian road conditions, you can't push the envelope beyond a certain point. Interesting ownership account by you indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I can vouch for this part. The old school Mahindra 2.5 is a real workhorse. I have a Scorpio with the 2.6 DI engine that has clocked 4.5L km. The engine has needed absolutely no attention apart from regular oil and filter changes, and is still going strong.

The current mHawk 2.2 engine is nowhere near as robust and long lasting.
4.5L km on the odo is...I feel stupid for some reason. It just makes me question what I have known all along about owning cars in India!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 09:50   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I remember the distinct warning note by GTO on the Hexa official review thread - the Hexa is bad for tall drivers. I happen to be 6'4" tall with extra long lower-half That probably rules out the Hexa, but I'll TD the Hexa once at least. Thank you for the suggestion.
I'm 5'9" but like you I have comparitively longer legs. Hexa is among few cars that I find very comfortable. Ecosport is another. Among the cars I currently own the Terrano is my daily drive, I find that the gear stick goes too far, when seat is kept at a comfortable distance, i used to have the same issue with my Polo.

Quote:
Holy cow! I didn't even think that personally owned cars in India can be run viably beyond 2L Km. I envy you sir. I personally believe that cars have character and if properly maintained, they serve us for long. It's just that I thought in Indian road conditions, you can't push the envelope beyond a certain point. Interesting ownership account by you indeed!
As long as you do all the necessary preventive maintenance and do not un-necessarily let mechanics poke into the car, the cars can run and run and run.
None of the cars I've owned so far except the Polo (Total loss due to accident at 79000 km) have run less than 1.5 Lakh km, Highest run was my 2005 indica 3.24 lakh, followed by Ikon 2.1 lakh and the second Innova 1.94 Lakh, all others between 1.5 and 1.7 lakhs.
Both Innovas needed nothing other than routene service, tyres and brake pads, they could have run a few more lakh km, only thing was resale offers marginally below original ex showroom price were used to be very tempting.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote