Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 18th August 2006, 16:19   #31
BANNED

i hate this van right from day1.
actually saw lot many overturned vans in its initial days!

and i recently lost 5 of my distant relatives on the spot in a highway crash with some jeep/sumo/else, dont know wat exactly hit them in night on single lane U.P. highway.

had they been in some vehicle with frontal protection (read bonnet), they all might have been alive.

although, i have seen several omnis fully loaded with nice accessories like wide-ballon tyres, VCD player with on-dash screen, curtains, gud seat-covers and a lot more; but i still hate it to the core! and i never sits in it even if its a taxi for some 1 hr drive.
imho, MUL should stop making such a horrible vehicle. or at the least stop selling it to people for private use, make it for cargo purposes only.

Last edited by revharder : 18th August 2006 at 16:20.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 17:31   #32
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of Omni;s a recent top gear had a minivan shootout. Hamster drive a van which looked exactly like the omni, I guess its the version sold in the UK. While doing a run from stig, though he had the fastest van, an attempt to do a scandanavian flick resulted in the car toppling!
But nevertheless this van has its advantages and one disadvantage : safety. About handling, if you want handling you dont buy a minivan.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 17:53   #33
BHPian

Well I have owned omni both the previous models, the round headlight and then the square headlights. You need skill to drive it safely, as you know it does not have any frontal protection. But believe me, Omni put all the other cars in its catagory to shame with its go anywhere capability, if it gets a good driver. I personally have done many highway runs in it and never felt nervous by its behaviour.

Yes I also have seen my next door neighbour die in a crash, of there Omni. Husband, Wife, both died in the crash. Leaving there Child with grandparents. But it could have happened in anyother vehicle. You can not expect to drive like SCHUMI after a couple of drinks, and expect the car to bail you out of your mistake. With Omni always remember that it is a VAN and every Van has its limits. Most drivers tend to forget that. Try sincerely and you can even lose control of an Innova.

About accidents, people even die in S-Class. Driving is all about being sensible, not just gear, clutch and Accelerator. There is also a Brake provided. What I love most about Omni, its manuoverality. If you are good driver you acn use this strength of the Omni to get out of any situation.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 18:03   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
Well I have owned omni both the previous models, the round headlight and then the square headlights. You need skill to drive it safely, as you know it does not have any frontal protection. But believe me, Omni put all the other cars in its catagory to shame with its go anywhere capability, if it gets a good driver. I personally have done many highway runs in it and never felt nervous by its behaviour.

Yes I also have seen my next door neighbour die in a crash, of there Omni. Husband, Wife, both died in the crash. Leaving there Child with grandparents. But it could have happened in anyother vehicle. You can not expect to drive like SCHUMI after a couple of drinks, and expect the car to bail you out of your mistake. With Omni always remember that it is a VAN and every Van has its limits. Most drivers tend to forget that. Try sincerely and you can even lose control of an Innova.

About accidents, people even die in S-Class. Driving is all about being sensible, not just gear, clutch and Accelerator. There is also a Brake provided. What I love most about Omni, its manuoverality. If you are good driver you acn use this strength of the Omni to get out of any situation.

Sir! Nice words to explain the accidents. And the Omni is after all an OMNI. Even the Versa cant replace it. Need we say more??

I love this VAN!
And I'll use it responsibly. No highways with it and no driving dangerously or risky. No use hating it, B'coz it's one of the secret behind MUL's success in India!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 17:59   #35
BANNED

sumitkalindi,
i can understand your feelings and sentiments regarding your van.

but accidents are not always caused by the error of person driving the ill-fated car. many a times some other lunatic comes out of blue to hit him!
and this is when Omni proves lethal for people inside it.

no matter how carefull an omni-driver can be, but the same can't be said of other drivers on road. in such a collision omni's worst weakness turns into something unmentionable.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 17:31   #36
BHPian

Default Omni .. I still love you

I never owned an Omni, I had posted a question on Omni too. I just cannot stop loving the Omni. Everytime I see an omni pass, I just think of the day I will try and own one.

I had driven the omni twice for a distance of around 70 kms total. I felt it quite steady a vehicle (my max speed not more than 60kmph). I had driven it on a heavy highway in Goa. Yes I cannot say I hate this vehicle. We (2 of us) were carrying quite a lot of goods, which would otherwise in a car require 4 trips!!

The steering feels a little heavy, raked like a truck. Sitting posture is awesome, it gives you a mini-truck (sumo-like) feel as you sit quite high. NVH levels a little high but very much tolerable and refined to whatever levels possible I guess.

Only sore things, I miss the air-vent, when I went to see i found them missing How could Maruti cut them out, that was the only AC we had on the omni. Engine under the seat is a little of issue, I hd travelled in the Omni - Margao (Goa) - Belgaum - Margao (Goa), riding it for over 4 hours one way, yes a little heat was there, absense of AC was surely felt.

I will not want to open up the safety factor issue here. Becasue when we buy the vehicle we look at the good and also know the bad. Yes the safety factor is bad, I lost a friend on a Omni, but as many here, we can't blame anyone for rashness on the accelarator and blame it on the vehicle. I have seen couple of accidents in Goa itself on Omni's and am sure, any car except Hummer or Sumo/Qualis/Tavera would have probably survived crashes like that.

Frontal safety is an issue, but I think the vehicle otherwise is still close to my heart. I have to toss and see, wehther its the Omni to have a van like feel or it will be for Wagon R or the Versa!!

My hear still beats for you Omni.
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 18:07   #37
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentt
I have to toss and see, wehther its the Omni to have a van like feel or it will be for Wagon R or the Versa!!
What was that?
Versa is surely a van and feels so... but wagonR?... man then include Santro as well.
Don't get deceived by looks WagonR noway drives or feels like a van!!
SLK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 18:20   #38
BHPian

Thats right SLK. If I include Wagon R then I think it brings in a lot of vehicles in competition !!!! Thanks
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 19:31   #39
Team-BHP Support

have ;ived with one for some 6 years, beutiful vehicle if used correct, those models didnt have he luxory of disc brakes so if ur brakes are not set up correct u have to be careful with pull to sides, versatil work horse, used to carry some 800 odd cocunuts with the whole back sinking from farm house town.. oh that reminds me i perfected my drivin skills in that one he he.. first highway run also, soory to say but with regular load the car wouldn climb beyond 120 kph..

again quite good offroading skills, good ground clearance and very low cost maintanence, u can learn a thing or two about mechanicals adjusting those rear door system so that they wont rattle

overal rating for indian UV 7 out of 10
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl2uv108
If you do hate an Omni please elaborate - why?
the only thing to hate about the omni is the way it is driven by the taxiwallah & the owners, mostly the taxiwallahs. they think that they are driving a 50 tonner. .
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
they think that they are driving a 50 tonner. .

oh yes for sure the way some folk handle the wheel is really 'horn ok tata' stuff
ssl2uv108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 22:12   #42
BHPian

A question for all Omnivores here -

What all can/should Maruti do to bring back the Omni to the forefront as a family van?

Any ideas ? Its not as though people would never like to buy a Omni now..
ssl2uv108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 13:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

I love OMNI....why never bought is just because no AC, the day it'll have an AC i'll buy it! i've driven OMNI only in winters and I love it..
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 16:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

i know of some folks who have fitted an AC in an omni. dont ask me how ? but i know they have.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 17:58   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Some models of the OMNI came with factory fitted ac I know because My neighbours had one of such rare pieces.

Btw we had a Omni for almost 5 years & I absoultely loved that car at that time, like drifter said it most fun to drive
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote