Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 18th August 2006, 11:53   #1
Default Safari DICOR LX - Purchase Guidance

Dear Friends,

After weeks of soul searching and deliberation and a long 15 km test drive I have finally decided to go for a Safari DICOR LX. Many thanks to everybody on the forum for your valuable suggestions.

Now having heard lots of horror stories about Tata dealers and problems with newly delivered vehicles I would request you for some guidance with the purchase.

I had a long and friendly chat with the sales manager of the showroom ( RD Motors, Kolkata) and he assured me of the best possible services. What also tipped the scale in favour of this dealer is that they have new state-of-art service center - I went to the workshop and talked with the mechanics - some of them actually took the time to explain to me the working of the new DICOR engine. They said there are some problems with the electronic transmission components of the DICOR engine but the occurence of problems have apparently come down in the past few months.

Now what are the things to look out for when taking the delivery of the vehicle.

1. Wheels - I was told that the DICOR LX comes with Apollo Radials by default. Do I need to go for something different like Bridgestone - can I ask for a change of tyres and does it mean additional cost implications?

2. Accessories - I am going for a minimalist approach as the DICOR has already stretched my budget to around 8.0 L for on road price. The couple of things I have decided to go for are
a. Floor Mats
b. Stepboard

Is there anything else that I absolutely need ?(like window shades etc.) A couple of other stuff like Remote Locking and Audio system I plan to get later

Now the sales person who I have been interacting with tells me that rather than getting the accessories fitted in the showroom he would arrange for a person from the showroom to visit me at home and do the fittings there as that would cost less - he assures that even then I can get any problem with accessories fixed at the service center. Is this a right approach to take?

3. Vehicle Delivery - Is there some must-do/should-do approach while taking thee delivery? I plan to drive the vehicle myself - is it advisable to take one of my friends drivers along
Apparently all vehicles come from their Pune center and they have assured about 10-12 days of time to deliver the colour I have asked for (Arizona Blue)

4. Anything else?

Once again - heartfelt thanks for taking time to share your valuable opinions.

Warm Regards,
arindam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 12:13   #2
Senior - BHPian
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congrats on the new machine!. I would advise to get a decent HU and speakers later if budget not available now (I waited for whole 3 years!). A decent stuff will cost atleast 25k. but i think remote locking is one thing which is quite handy although there are negative opinions on that. cost around 5k. can go for cheap sunfilms(<1000) which will cut heat and give some privacy. can be removed later for high end stuff.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote