Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: What's your pick from this 4x4 choice?
Mahindra XUV5OO 112 33.33%
Mahindra Scorpio 32 9.52%
Tata Safari Storme 140 41.67%
Tata Aria 14 4.17%
Renault Duster 38 11.31%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th August 2015, 11:00   #46

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Go ahead with the XUV500 W10. It offers a lot of car for the money and is a better all-rounder than some SUVs costing twice as much. The facelift looks more mature than the garish old one, and Mahindra has continuously improved the XUV500 over the years.

GTO, thanks for the suggestion, I have been following a lot of threads on XUV reviews and am personally considering XUV 500 as a replacement to my 9 Yr old Innova, however this time I am interested in going for an AT. Will you be able to throw some light as when is the XUV 500 AT expected to be launched and will it be a worth the wait?
I read somewhere that its getting pushed to 2016 and not Diwali this year as anticipated.
Armyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 14:03   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
GTO, thanks for the suggestion, I have been following a lot of threads on XUV reviews and am personally considering XUV 500 as a replacement to my 9 Yr old Innova, however this time I am interested in going for an AT. Will you be able to throw some light as when is the XUV 500 AT expected to be launched and will it be a worth the wait?
I read somewhere that its getting pushed to 2016 and not Diwali this year as anticipated.
This is what Autocar has to say -

This new gearbox by Aisin will be a latest-generation transmission (known as ‘Version 4’), which is yet to be launched, and an improvement on the current six-speed TF-80SC unit that drives cars like the Volvo S80, Peugeot 508 and Cadillac SRX. The unit will be first launched in the XUV500 automatic in 2016

Source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...16-396665.aspx
sbala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 16:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Safari Storme or others?

“And what is good, Phaedrus,
And what is not good—
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

I always believed in the above lines but when it came to buying a new car I think I needed to ask.

Little bit about myself: I am 39 years old now and I wanted to be a driver for 37 years. I learnt to ride a two wheeler when I was in sixth. I first drove a car (M 800) at the in 1994 when I lied to my uncle’s driver that I know how to drive. Luckily, I drove well enough and he did not doubt me once in a 35 long km drive.

I always wanted to own a Gypsy but could not buy one due to ‘practical’ reasons. I am driving a Swift 1.3 Vxi for 7 years and 100,800 kms and I loved every km I drove in it.
Reasons for looking for a new car:
  1. 1. Safety – My car does not have ABS, airbags and other advanced safety features except the seat belts. I could not afford them when I bought this car.
  2. 2. It is bit dated in terms of feature (not that I need any more than it offers).
  3. 3. It has got too much of rattles now. I do not have time and energy to sort them. Most of the noises come from the rear end. I guess it is the bumper or exhaust pipe. MASS is either not competent to resolve this or they are simply not interested to spend time to find the cause.
  4. 4. Steering column needs over hauling.
  5. 5. Gurgaon roads have more craters per km than my cars mileage. Swift can handle bad roads but it cannot do off roading.
Cars I am considering:
  1. 1. Safari Storme 4X4: I just love Safari and always wanted to buy a four wheel drive car. However, I do not want to repent later on my purchase as no one (read: Wife) will listen later.
  2. 2. S-Cross 1.6: I still have to TD one but I guess it will be fun to drive machine and I may not miss my Swift.
  3. 3. Duster AWD: I don’t really know why but this is my third choice. My friends’ experiences with the service centre in Gurgaon have been nightmarish.
Cars I am not considering:
  1. 1. XUV 500: I took it for a test drive over bad roads and it was not as well behaved as a Storme.
  2. 2. Scorpio: Too common and wife hates it.
  3. 3. Sedans: I do not want to torture them as I torture my Swift on those craters.
  4. 4. Creta: I found it more of a show off than substance.
  5. 5. Ecosport: I found its low end performance very unsatisfactory. A loaded Tata Ace was quicker than the Ecosport at one bump.
Now, I look towards the member of this forum to guide me in deciding my car. I am planning to replace the Swift in next three months. My daily commute is 70+ km in Delhi and Gurgaon.
Sourabh
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 16:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Safari Storme or others?

You seem to have already made up your mind on the Storme. So not sure what this thread is for ? Maybe to show the wife that you made an "informed" choice ?

If you like the Storme, you should go for it. I think Tata Motors has been making some little changes here and there and ironing out whatever little niggles that existed.
narayan is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 18:05   #50
BHPian

Those who say "Safari vs others" (as against "which suv"?) end up buying a Safari. Having said that it's a good choice (I own one, though not Storme) anyway. I'd suggest to go ahead. It's a good VFM SUV.
mayuresh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 18:28   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Any interest in going the pre-owned route? Fortuner, Endevour, Captiva or even the Yeti?

If not, considering you have eliminated most options in the range, the Safari seems to be the logical choice. S-Cross does not come in 4X4 but is probably the one your wife/family will like best.

If your concern is primarily the bad roads, the Duster would suit your purpose well. Again a balance between keeping everyone happy.

But if your heart wants the Storme, and after you TD'ed it along with your other choices and the longing has just got stronger, then go for it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 16:17   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
[*]1. Safari Storme 4X4: I just love Safari and always wanted to buy a four wheel drive car. However, I do not want to repent later on my purchase as no one (read: Wife) will listen later.
I think you should go with the car choice that you have a 'feel good' about; in a constraints based real world there will always be trade offs, in this case between different brands/models/features, etc.
skhendry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Maybe to show the wife that you made an "informed" choice ?
More than my my wife I wanted to assure myself on my choice. . I made this choice the day Storme was launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
I'd suggest to go ahead. It's a good VFM SUV.
Thanks a lot. I am planning to book it next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Any interest in going the pre-owned route? Fortuner, Endevour, Captiva or even the Yeti?

If not, considering you have eliminated most options in the range, the Safari seems to be the logical choice. S-Cross does not come in 4X4 but is probably the one your wife/family will like best.

If your concern is primarily the bad roads, the Duster would suit your purpose well. Again a balance between keeping everyone happy.
I am too scared to go pre-owned route. I had very bad experience with my first car. I was considering GV but there are not enough options in the market.

S Cross is too tempting and that's why I am not going for it's test drive. I do not want to get confused now. I love Duster but I love Storme more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhendry View Post
I think you should go with the car choice that you have a 'feel good' about; in a constraints based real world there will always be trade offs, in this case between different brands/models/features, etc.
Rightly put mate!

Now my other dilemma - I have 2010 K10 (35k on odo) and 2008 Swift VXi (103000 Kms done). I was thinking of replacing Swift but it is gem of a car with zero mechanical issues. Will it be wise to keep Swift and sell K10? I am expecting 1.75L for K10 and 2.0L for Swift. (Also, which will be appropriate thread to post this query?)
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:33   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
when it came to buying a new car I think I needed to ask.
How about considering the new Hexa? Autocar has good things to say and I believe it is the most improved local product i've ever seen
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How about considering the new Hexa? Autocar has good things to say and I believe it is the most improved local product i've ever seen
Completely agree with you but at the same time I am sure it is going to be out of my reach. Storme's 1650K on road price is my over-stretched capability.
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep K10. Newer car. Lesser odo. Smaller form factor. Runabout. Swift at 100000+ will start demanding attention sooner.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 01:14   #57
BHPian

As my signature suggests, we currently have a GP and Honda City at our disposal. In both these purchases, I analysed the requirements & options for an year before pulling the trigger.

Owing to growing family, parents moving in with us etc, we are fast approaching a SUV/MUV purchase (approx 1st/2nd quarter of 2016). So I penned down my requirements on a piece of paper and would like to share them with you here. Requirements listed below are in "alphabetical" order and the scope for compromising on any of them is minimal.

Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria-carreq.png

What are my realistic options here (Keeping in mind the purchase date is going to be in 2016)?

1. Tata Storme 2015 / Tata Storme AT (if its launched by mid next year)
2. Mahindra XUV 5OO 2015/ Mahindra XUV 5OO 2015 AT (Heard its being launched around festival season this year)
3. Toyota Innova (2016?)
4. Tata Hexa (2016?)
5. Used Fortuner/Endy (To be honest, I am uncomfortable with "pre-worshipped" game, especially in India.)

Budget Constraints: This side of 20 lacs

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 13th September 2015 at 01:18.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 18:45   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
As my signature suggests, we currently have a GP and Honda City at our disposal. In both these purchases, I analysed the requirements & options for an year before pulling the trigger.

Owing to growing family, parents moving in with us etc, we are fast approaching a SUV/MUV purchase (approx 1st/2nd quarter of 2016). So I penned down my requirements on a piece of paper and would like to share them with you here. Requirements listed below are in "alphabetical" order and the scope for compromising on any of them is minimal.

What are my realistic options here (Keeping in mind the purchase date is going to be in 2016)?

1. Tata Storme 2015 / Tata Storme AT (if its launched by mid next year)
2. Mahindra XUV 5OO 2015/ Mahindra XUV 5OO 2015 AT (Heard its being launched around festival season this year)
3. Toyota Innova (2016?)
4. Tata Hexa (2016?)
5. Used Fortuner/Endy (To be honest, I am uncomfortable with "pre-worshipped" game, especially in India.)

Budget Constraints: This side of 20 lacs
20 lacs honestly (I assume you are looking at on road price), may not get you much, especially in 2016 considering inflation and overall price hike across all segments. As is the current XUV and Storme top end retail at around 16-18 lacs on road along with the Creta.
Hexa will be launched with significantly increased bells and whistles, and I believe the pricing will compete with the Innova, which may exceed 20 lacs on road for the higher versions, the immensely capable Endevour and the Chevy Trailblazer will cost you between high 30s and low 40 lacs on road.

So in a nutshell in the 10-20 lac on road price you have
1) Storme
2) Aria
3) XUV
4) Scorpio
5) Duster

and in softroaders or hatchback pretenders you have
1) Creta
2) EcoSport
3) Maruti s cross. You can take your pick from these, considering you are looking at new cars and not going the pre owned route...
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 20:20   #59
BHPian

All are good choices. Depends on what you are looking for.

XUV- Best handling,monocoque chassis ensures minimum body roll. Comes with all modern gizmos. Best suited for highway cruising and long trips.

Safari-Tough old warhorse can go anywhere. A true offroader but still suffers from huge body roll. The new safari has a tight turning radius compared to the old ones so it can survive in the urban jungle. But at highway speeds body roll is still evident and any teenage stunts can easily roll over the safari though the suspension is much better than the old one.

The road presence is huge. Even KSRTC drivers think twice before dashing onto a charging safari with headlights flashing because they know safari's almost 2.5 ton weight is no laughing matter. No other car gets this much respect from these bad ass drivers

Duster-Most car like,reliable,fuel efficient and can cruise long distances and has good handling. But never an off roader. Not really a butch suv but a serene french ballerina.

Scorpio- Reliable and trusted but M&M has gone over board with the styling(just my opinion). Not a keen off roader but can do it with a few hiccups.

Aria- A good car killed by bad marketing and taxi image. It's worth a buy because it's suspension is the most comfortable and has a rugged ladder on frame chassis and does not have the safari's notorious body roll. A good vehicle but just not enough to trump the xuv or even the innova in taxi segment. But it's a greatt effort from tata. If somebody don't like the xuv aria is a fine choice.

Regarding service backing I think Renault falls far behind Tata(based solely on my experiences). I used to have a Tata Estate till 2010 and despite the car being out of production for over 15 years I could service the car without much fuss from TATA here in Kerala. I think these foreign manufacturers never give cars such a long rope. Tata has the second largest service network in India so I think it won't be a big issue.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 16:14. Reason: Typo
Captain Haddock is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 11:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
If you like the Storme, you should go for it. I think Tata Motors has been making some little changes here and there and ironing out whatever little niggles that existed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Those who say "Safari vs others" (as against "which suv"?) end up buying a Safari. Having said that it's a good choice (I own one, though not Storme) anyway. I'd suggest to go ahead. It's a good VFM SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
But if your heart wants the Storme, and after you TD'ed it along with your other choices and the longing has just got stronger, then go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhendry View Post
After years of deliberations and drooling over Safari, I finally booked a 4X4 for myself. I hope it will not let me down as the decision required a lot of effort in convincing my family. I will get the delivery in last week of November.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote