Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 158 19.60%
Renault Duster 134 16.63%
Mahindra XUV500 354 43.92%
Ford EcoSport 51 6.33%
Mahindra Scorpio 32 3.97%
Tata Safari Storme 77 9.55%
Voters: 806. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2017, 21:19   #226
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 9,755 Times
Default Re: Car that needs to be versatile - city/highway & rough roads, dog carrier & fun to drive

Check this thread - cars with flat cargo area when seats are folded down
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...argo-area.html (Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area)
smartcat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:54   #227
BHPian
 
avdhesh15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 523
Thanked: 525 Times
Default Re: Car that needs to be versatile - city/highway & rough roads, dog carrier & fun to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
I've had a Maruti Swift Zxi for over 10 years so feel like getting something from another stable.
Still. The s-cross is a brilliant suggestion. Or the XUV considering the budget is 18.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 23:40   #228
BHPian
 
msbehave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 84
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Car that needs to be versatile - city/highway & rough roads, dog carrier & fun to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Still. The s-cross is a brilliant suggestion. Or the XUV considering the budget is 18.
Will definitely TD the S Cross. The size of the XUV makes me feel like finding street parking in the Bandra Juhu stretch 2/3 times a day will be irritating, so, unsure about that.
msbehave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 02:22   #229
BHPian
 
ToyotaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 366
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Take a look at the upcoming Jeep compass. The base version should come within 18L OTR and I think should suit your requirements well enough. Also take a look at the creta though I feel you May not feel the space is less. Cars like nexon and kaptur are also launching so I think you should wait for a few months and then make an informed decision. Hope this helps.
ToyotaFan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 06:49   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Siliguri
Posts: 72
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

The S-Cross really is the one-size-fits-all car. Plushly appointed interiors, comfortable like a sedan, road manners like a well designed hatchback, ground clearance approaching UV territory, stacked with features, a large, comfortable cabin with great seating comfort, and ample space in the boot. It feels like a durable machine that can take a beating and, being a Maruti Suzuki car, it carries that badge of hassle free ASS that's characteristic of the company.

Where most other cars in this price range are compromised UVs, this is the premium crossover that defines the category. The problems are the lack of a petrol engine and automatic transmission, and the rather hatchback like design from the front, all of which are supposed to be addressed in the facelift model set for release this Diwali. I'd take a test drive of the S-Cross now and then wait for the facelift if I were you.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 10:37   #231
BHPian
 
pradipk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 213
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Car that needs to be versatile - city/highway & rough roads, dog carrier & fun to drive

I am wondering why no one suggested Thar. Going through all your requirements, Thar is the best suited vehicle I think. Only concern is on proper locking of the vehicle, especially when you need street parking. However with the budget that you have this is not a concern as you can always fix hard top.
Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Pradip.
pradipk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 10:53   #232
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,160 Times
Default Re: Car that needs to be versatile - city/highway & rough roads, dog carrier & fun to drive

Revisit the Honda WRV.

Don't be deceived by the Honda's compact exterior dimensions. It's very spacious on the inside.

We have had big dogs at home (two dobermans and two regular-sized indies) and our old-generation Jazz, with its flat folding rear bench, accommodated them beautifully. It's airy cabin also helped matters.

The WRV, with its SUV-like ground clearance, large cabin and small sub-4m footprint, should suit your requirements perfectly.

The advantage lies in its split folding rear bench, which allows someone to sit and tend to the doggos. And once the seats are folded, the floor is flat, allowing ease of movement.

Also, do consider the S-Cross. And if you're willing to stretch your budget, do spring for the Jeep Compass.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 14:06   #233
BHPian
 
msbehave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 84
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Take a look at the upcoming Jeep compass. The base version should come within 18L OTR and I think should suit your requirements well enough. Also take a look at the creta though I feel you May not feel the space is less. Cars like nexon and kaptur are also launching so I think you should wait for a few months and then make an informed decision. Hope this helps.
Yes, I was hoping that the Jeep Compass would work for me. I looked at the compass, my dog will not be able to stand in it due to the way the roof slopes. Seats also don't fold down fully.

My other problem is that I am in a hurry because I can't take both dogs anywhere together save a short trip to Juhu beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
I am wondering why no one suggested Thar. Going through all your requirements, Thar is the best suited vehicle I think. Only concern is on proper locking of the vehicle, especially when you need street parking. However with the budget that you have this is not a concern as you can always fix hard top.
Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Pradip.
I have driven the Thar and loved it. Was worried about other passengers who will complain. (my dogs wont )

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Revisit the Honda WRV.

Don't be deceived by the Honda's compact exterior dimensions. It's very spacious on the inside.

We have had big dogs at home (two dobermans and two regular-sized indies) and our old-generation Jazz, with its flat folding rear bench, accommodated them beautifully. It's airy cabin also helped matters.

The WRV, with its SUV-like ground clearance, large cabin and small sub-4m footprint, should suit your requirements perfectly.

The advantage lies in its split folding rear bench, which allows someone to sit and tend to the doggos. And once the seats are folded, the floor is flat, allowing ease of movement.

Also, do consider the S-Cross. And if you're willing to stretch your budget, do spring for the Jeep Compass.
I drove the WRV and felt like my mudhol hound wont fit at all. He prefers standing and he's a tall dog. I didn't feel that they'd be comfortable there with the seats folded down even. Added to that, wasn't a fun enough drive for me.

I can stretch my budget to 20 lakh but checked the Jeep Compass out thoroughly at a new showroom in Nasik and I dont think both dogs would fit comfortably. Sigh.

I will TD the S Cross however. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
The S-Cross really is the one-size-fits-all car. Plushly appointed interiors, comfortable like a sedan, road manners like a well designed hatchback, ground clearance approaching UV territory, stacked with features, a large, comfortable cabin with great seating comfort, and ample space in the boot. It feels like a durable machine that can take a beating and, being a Maruti Suzuki car, it carries that badge of hassle free ASS that's characteristic of the company.

Where most other cars in this price range are compromised UVs, this is the premium crossover that defines the category. The problems are the lack of a petrol engine and automatic transmission, and the rather hatchback like design from the front, all of which are supposed to be addressed in the facelift model set for release this Diwali. I'd take a test drive of the S-Cross now and then wait for the facelift if I were you.
I put my June buying decision off to wait for Compass. I don't know how much longer I can wait. Missing out on all the fab Monsoon hikes with the doggos!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th July 2017 at 15:35. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT and QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post instead. Thank you!
msbehave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 15:51   #234
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,160 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
I drove the WRV and felt like my mudhol hound wont fit at all. He prefers standing and he's a tall dog. I didn't feel that they'd be comfortable there with the seats folded down even. Added to that, wasn't a fun enough drive for me.

I can stretch my budget to 20 lakh but checked the Jeep Compass out thoroughly at a new showroom in Nasik and I dont think both dogs would fit comfortably. Sigh.

I will TD the S Cross however. Thanks!
Our Dobermans were H-U-G-E! And they were quite comfortable in our Jazz. But if you've driven the WRV and found that it isn't fun, the S-Cross should take care of that. That said, I really don't think the S-Cross has the space you're looking for either.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 15:59   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Siliguri
Posts: 72
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

I agree. It is spacious but not flexible in the manner he describes. A better choice, then, might be the Jazz, with its ultra flexible Magic Seats, but then you donít get any off-roading capabilities at all, particularly with those puny tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
I put my June buying decision off to wait for Compass. I don't know how much longer I can wait. Missing out on all the fab Monsoon hikes with the doggos!
Since you donít much care for a petrol automatic, if you can stomach the looks, you donít have to wait for the faceliftís launch. Push comes to shove, swap the India-spec chrome grill for the glossy black one offered in Europe, and itíll uplift the looks quite a bit. Itíll still look like an overgrown hatchback from the front though.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 116 10th May 2017 15:34
Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others paras211 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 302 30th December 2016 22:01
Mahindra goes solo with the Logan. Renault exits Mahindra-Renault JV GTO The Indian Car Scene 163 30th April 2012 15:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks