Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 11th September 2006, 18:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Second hand petrol safari would be a no no.

Innova petrol could be a better choice.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 11th September 2006 at 18:25.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 18:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Second hand petrol safari would be a no no.

Innova petrol could be a better choice.
the only problem with this is the CASH. he is looking at a 2-3 lakh budget & you want to suggest a 7 lakh car.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 18:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

I did not see the budget my mistake[also was referring to second hand petrol base models available in 5.5 range now].But I can say again is tata safari petrol no no.

PS: man i am making lots of typo errors.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 11th September 2006 at 18:42.
Old 11th September 2006, 18:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

I just read the first post and it did not say anything in particular about his budget.Now i saw the budget part.Sorry once again
Old 11th September 2006, 23:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

I had the pleasure of using a Safari Petrol for about 2 weeks. It handles 10 times better than the diesel and is pretty quick too. I loved the car and if I could afford the 7kmpl I would have bought it. That said, fitting a legal LPG kit on the Safari is not possible as no lpg kit manufacturer has got it approved by ARAI.
If you can afford the gas, go for it. How much value can it lose anyway!
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 00:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Check with LPG/CNG installers if its possible to use alternative fuel.
If NO, i dont see any reason to go in for a petrol safari.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 10:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

At that price, teh safari petrol is a steal! Just make sure that the car is not accidented and has a full service history. I took the test drive of the safari petrol when it was launched and the car simply blew me away. The power delivery for a 2 ton beast is awesome. An the car was amazingly smooth.

Just give the car a good once over before you buy it. I would say go for it.....but be prepared for a few minor niggles.

Also, if it is 2004 model, it would just be out of the warranty period. But tata was known to be quite generous with warranty claims for safaris even out of the period. See if you can haggle an extended warranty from the dealer.
himanshugoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 10:48   #23
BANNED

For more on Tata's generosity, please read:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t=protest+tata
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 11:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

i wouldn't put my money on tata's petrol engine.
Old 12th September 2006, 11:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
For more on Tata's generosity, please read:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t=protest+tata
Boom - we dont know both sides of the coin as far as that story goes, and from personal experience I can confirm that they dont stinge on warranty.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 11:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi All

Update to this thread is that the owner stays in somewhere in Sind Socierty ( i believe a posh locality in Pune) and as per the tata workshop service station near hinjewadi where the vehicle is regulary serviced the vehicle is well maintained by its rich owner. they say the owner is extremely rich and has pleothra of other cars incluiding honda's and merc in his stable and he regularly changes his cars every once/twice a year.
The SUV is outta warranty but he says that a deal maybe worked out with the showroom for extnd warranty whereever possible.
I am scheduling a rendezvous with this car sometime later this week on thursday/friday to see the SUV. Still this is a first iind hand piece i am seeing, so lets see how it goes. and how much i can haggle the price.
The new petrol safari is close to 9 lacs on road in pune and lx model is close to 8 lacs. and my budget is not that flexible...At that price if my pocket permitted, i cud have gone to optra/honda.
But since owing a SUV for a brief period like < 5 yrs will make hardly a difference i think if i can haggale a price range or 2 - 3.5 lacs. close to 2 will be my existing cars price which makes a difference of 1.5 max to be give to own a SUV.

having said that , i read that tata protest thread sometime back and i am sorry for the owner. Things can go wrong with any car i believe..eg. skoda or a merc. I still own a indica v2 for 4 years now which has given me good service. whether its a short drive or a extremely long one Nevetheless its a different story as now i feel differently.

Let me update you all once I see the beast.. Ill try to post pics if possible

Thnx
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 13:26   #27
BHPian

hey Rahul, eh CNG/LPG kit on a safari... doesnt digest easily! i doubt it wud pull, and even if it does, u will lose all the charm of driving it, it wud be very sluggish! rather go for a Scorpio itself mate! rethink abt the scorpio. the new scorpios have great seats in the back too, more spacious than before.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 15:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

yes, please post some pics of the safari & tell us what was the price quoted, negotiated etc. makes for interesting reading.
Old 15th October 2006, 21:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends

Sorry for such a long delay. got extremely busy with new product project..
nervertheless

I test drove the petrol safari and found it enchanting.. extremely good, then checked and rechecked the vehicle thourougly. When I opened the bonnet to my surprise there was a lot of oil leakages around cylinder heads. Also while driving the vehicle my mechanic said that there was definetly an abuse of the clutch by the prev owner as there was a kind of shunt felt when releasing the cluctch and expenses would be a huge bill as per him.

So came back double minded about this second hand safari petrol and as advised by some bbhpians tried to do some maths and calculations to fit the new LX model vs this petrol model. But at the severe insistance of my sister decided against it.

Now the best part.. everybody agreeded to check out the new safari ex dicor model. Since i was already in Blr during (25st to 30th sep)that time test drove safari LX model with my complete family... in and around kormagla and back to National Games Village.. five adults, three childrens.(small) and a co driver(sales guy), its ride instantly appealed to everyone with the space and comfort with AC.

then came back to pune.. searched for a buyer, went to local tata sales outler bhandari and asked them if they could exchange my old indica for new safari.. process almost took a weeks time....finally closing the deal at 2.0 l for my 2003 model.

the same moment, I booked a brand new safari dicor lx, passion red / river rock green( they ask for second color) to be delievered in 10-15 days..
Thnx to all you who have advised me on this topic..
Safari owners please advise me for anything to be checked before picking up this SUV in particular, or to be alert about.

Thanks once again.. will post pics once i get my SUV

Rahul
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 01:28   #30
BHPian

hi rahul.
congrats for ur new safari.believe me thers absolutly nuthin wrong with this vehicle.yes there are minor problems but thats basically with the fit and finish.as far as the engine goes it simply ROCKS.it is a MASSIVE BEAST.my last experience with it was a trip to agra from delhi and vice versa.have done this couple of time in scorpio and honda city but the way dicor performed was IMMACULATE.even at speed of around 140 this beast was rock steady.its a massive mile eater.
this is by far the safest and amongst the best vehicle i have driven.once out on the open road nuthin compares to it!!!!!!!!!.planing to buy one vary soon.
full marks to TATA.
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote