Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 19th January 2007, 16:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

@ 2-2.5 lacs the SAFARI sure is WORTH .........
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 19:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
@ 2-2.5 lacs the SAFARI sure is WORTH .........
Karan please see the last post date before posting on old topics. Thanks.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 22:03   #33
BHPian

Default advise needed on buying a petrol safari

hi all, just saw this in carwale.com. 2005, Tata Safari 4x2 EXi - BS III in Bangalore Seller : Private Party Car - petrolMake Year : Mar-2005Kms Done : 25,200Color : BLACK Price : Rs.4,75,000.
can i go for this vehicle for high way use? any thing i should be careful about in this model and variant? is the rate OK? pleas ehelp. thanks and diwali wishes to all.

nutmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 07:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Moderators for opening the thread.

About Petrol Safari I saw couple of vehicles all Black in Color, to be very honest I felt its clutch is much heavier than Petrol Innova and ride comfort is much better than Innova especially low speeds and speed breakers.

nutmello about the safari you have asked from carwale I feel I have seen that vehicle and its worth not more than 3.25 lacs. It comes with 15 inch 4 years old tyre without alloys, still in good condition but need change for sure soon because its like 4 years old. I felt some strange sound from chassi of that vehicle, I am sure it met with some accident.

In TBHP forum there is one ad to sell the safari and i saw that vehicle which is in better condition than other 2 safari i saw. I feel you need to check out. make sure good mechanic checks it and you check vehicle history and test drive and set a good deal and buy it. Value of 4 years old Safari Exi would be around 3.75 lacs if it is in good condition.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

IMHO it is a bad idea unless of course you have access to your own private petrol supply and/ or are related in some way to an Oil Economy Sheik.

cheers
sb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thanks Moderators for opening the thread.

About Petrol Safari I saw couple of vehicles all Black in Color, to be very honest I felt its clutch is much heavier than Petrol Innova and ride comfort is much better than Innova especially low speeds and speed breakers.

nutmello about the safari you have asked from carwale I feel I have seen that vehicle and its worth not more than 3.25 lacs. It comes with 15 inch 4 years old tyre without alloys, still in good condition but need change for sure soon because its like 4 years old. I felt some strange sound from chassi of that vehicle, I am sure it met with some accident.

In TBHP forum there is one ad to sell the safari and i saw that vehicle which is in better condition than other 2 safari i saw. I feel you need to check out. make sure good mechanic checks it and you check vehicle history and test drive and set a good deal and buy it. Value of 4 years old Safari Exi would be around 3.75 lacs if it is in good condition.

Regards,

Ravi.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Actually! A petrol Safari for highway cruising sounds like a very rich idea. Unless you are an Oil sheikh I really fail to see how you can think of crunching miles in a Petrol Safari (7-8 kmpl, max) when Petrol is over Rs.60 a liter! I am pretty sure the original owner also realized his fallacy pretty early (just 25k on the odo) and decided to get rid of it.

Also remember that the world motoring union has declared Petrol Safaris to be an endangered species on the verge of extinction. They never sold in big numbers to begin with. By corollary, Tatas would not have discovered as many faults in the Petrol version and sorted them out as they have in the diesel one.

Check for a diesel Safari naa baba? Why all this faltu lafdas?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have owned Petrol Innova for 2 years and I can see its importance and it served the purpose I am expecting from it.
Well I know the point very clearly about Petrol Safari and TATA product (I am talking about 3 years before) they come no close to their competition (according to me) especially after seeing 3 to 4 years old pre owned Petrol and Diesel Safari. Every vehicle (out of 10+ vehicles I saw) had one or other problems. I am sure new Safari Diesel is very much improved one so I am thinking that option too but I would decide only after travelling 500+km in that vehicle.

People buy Petrol Safari/Grand Vitara/Innova when comfort is key factor and there is no importance to resale value, not particular about FE.

People buy Safari for Passion and for KING status My idea to own Safari is just to enjoy the ride in bad roads. I didn't see much difference between Innova and Alto in bad roads. But Safari ride in bad road I am impressed it has very good ride and looks big and very comfortable vehicle. Only thing I noticed is body roll when driven fast which I don't face because my vehicle's top speeds usually around 75kmph except when there is 4 lane smooth road might touch around 100kmph only for few minutes.

So Safari is right choice for me, however I am taking a call once new Look Innova is launched, also waiting to see Xylo.

About Petrol Safari (If you don't care about resale value) its very good vehicle, much much better than its Diesel counterpart. FE will be around minimum 6.5 kmpl in City and will give 11kmpl in highway with AC on.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 3rd November 2008 at 16:24.
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:36   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
People buy Petrol Safari/Grand Vitara/Innova when comfort is key factor and there is no importance to resale value, not particular about FE.

Ravi.
Ravi,

How does petrol increase the comfort factor ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IAbout Petrol Safari (If you don't care about resale value) its very good vehicle, much much better than its Diesel counterpart. FE will be around minimum 6.5 kmpl in City and will give 11kmpl in highway with AC on.

I have no experience with Safari, but considering the weight of the vehicle, it may not cross 8-9kml on the highway
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Guys please comment If you have hands on experience and don't predict please!!

In India Diesel is mixed at maximum level and while Petrol has less adultration which is mentioned in many websites.

Petrol vehicle is silky smooth compared to its Deisel counterpart. I know in small vehicle category one cant find much difference but in bigger vehicles vibration level and comfort level is far better in Petrol. If I find good Pre owned Safari or Innova I will buy else I am buying brand new once I become Oil Sheikh .

I wil update this thread once I find suitable vehicle.

Regards,

Ravi.

PS Please don't go offtopic lets stick to Safari discussion please.

Last edited by ravibhat : 3rd November 2008 at 16:54.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:17   #41
Team-BHP Support

Ravi:
If not already done, run an advanced search for PETROL SAFARI with "titles only" specified.

Quite a few threads pop up.

All the best.

My uncle followed the same route and bought himself a fantastic Innova V petrol.
Very happy with it.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:05   #42
BHPian

If its not a Diesel Safari, then go for an Innova Petrol.

In Chennai, I have seen Petrol Safaris only with M.K. Stalin (Son of the Chief Minister)
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 08:43   #43
Rob

hi, I drive the petrol safari exi. I have had it for 6 yrs and its got a good engine, smooth trouble free running, my advice is change to the mobile synthetic engine oil. I imagine you're do not have a tight purse with regards to your fuel expenditues, remember it is a 2.1lt petrol engine.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 21:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rob,

Thats good to hear, May I know fuel economy you are getting in City and highway with Ac on or Off I know people who buy such vehicles not bothered about FE but I am curious to know that too.

I was told Petrol Safari economy betwen 6.5 to 11 kmpl similar to Petrol Innova I owned Petrol Innova for 2 years, I am ready to buy Petrol Innova again for its 5STAR comfort and reliability and FE I fetched from it was between 7-13kmpl based on driving conditions. After I travalled in Petrol Safari I am more excited for its excellant ride comfort in bad roads.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 17th November 2008 at 21:54.