Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 11th September 2006, 11:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Is it worth buying a second hand safari petrol ?

Hello Bhpians,

Is it worth buying a second hand safari petrol for @1000kms a month running.
Will be taking it out only 2-3 time a week only with family and would be driven by myself or mywife..
Most of the times I will be out hence looking at cheap maintainence in long run..Why I preffered petrol SUV was because its a safari and more powerful therefore more manuaverable in city and lighter than dicor. This suv will be kept for atleast 5-6 years.
For short commutes I do have a activa.
Regards
Rahul
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 14:02   #2
BHPian

Hey Rahul,

When u intend to keep the vehicle for 5-6 years, i wud say u buy a NEW car, whatever u buy! keeping a second hand vehicle will never give u that plush new car feel and happiness. and when its for such a long time, u really are better off with a new one, as the new car will be totally driven in ur hands and will be maintained good for years to come. A Second hand car is usually good for short terms till u can save up enough for ur new car, or if u waiting for a new version to come and awanna makedo with something for the time being.

for such a small run, taking a Safari Petrol, imho, i wudnt recommend it. The Safari maintainence is costly compared to the run u have. I rather suggest u go in for a new Tavera instead.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 15:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi InsaneDevil,

agreed to what you said about Tavera's diesel and its more economical.
since i own a diesel car, i have burnt my fingers with the maintainence part in last 4 years of ownership.
My family really vouches by safari ride and characteristics which cant be found in any other SUV in its class. I found scorpio to be too cramped and I really worry about the backseat passengers wrt to the ac positioning which is rather crudely positioned . Tavera looks more like a taxi wala to me...therefore arrived at safari petrol. While browsing thru, i also learnt that safari 2.x litre engine is also on anvil , which i feel is based on 2.x litre petrol block with mods aka crdi(dicor)
I am not sure when it is going to be lauched..
Also I came to know that its a interim model which will again be replaced by x2 project in somewhere 2008 which translates to the 2006-2007 2.x ltr engine being obsolete..

Having said that I am still on a lookout for safari petrol, which gives less milege, but with service interval of 10k and to be fitted with lpg/cng kit might be bringing down the costs. I may be awfully wrong on this but safari owners comments can help make me a decision.

Rahul
Old 11th September 2006, 15:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76
Hi InsaneDevil,

agreed to what you said about Tavera's diesel and its more economical.
since i own a diesel car, i have burnt my fingers with the maintainence part in last 4 years of ownership.
My family really vouches by safari ride and characteristics which cant be found in any other SUV in its class. I found scorpio to be too cramped and I really worry about the backseat passengers wrt to the ac positioning which is rather crudely positioned . Tavera looks more like a taxi wala to me...therefore arrived at safari petrol. While browsing thru, i also learnt that safari 2.x litre engine is also on anvil , which i feel is based on 2.x litre petrol block with mods aka crdi(dicor)
I am not sure when it is going to be lauched..
Also I came to know that its a interim model which will again be replaced by x2 project in somewhere 2008 which translates to the 2006-2007 2.x ltr engine being obsolete..

Having said that I am still on a lookout for safari petrol, which gives less milege, but with service interval of 10k and to be fitted with lpg/cng kit might be bringing down the costs. I may be awfully wrong on this but safari owners comments can help make me a decision.

Rahul
do you already own a safari diesel and want to switch to petrol ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 15:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I own a 2k3 indica dls 60,000kms, Pune
Old 11th September 2006, 16:12   #6
BANNED

Not a good buy. I wouldn't recommend it at all, especially for more than 5 years.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 16:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shiva,

Are you indirectly saying that.. I should wait for 2.2 litre of safari diesel to be out in market.

ps: 5 years i said was coz. i will take a 5 year loan on the cost of vehicle (minus the selling price of my exisiting car and insurance transfer to the new/second hand vehicle).
Old 11th September 2006, 16:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76
ps: 5 years i said was coz. i will take a 5 year loan on
the cost of vehicle
That is a typical car dreamer,... whatever be the bank balance, I need the car that I love (kinda) yeah???

but allow me to just suggest,...

Well, me too the same,... but I would recommend you to take a personal loan and pay the car outright, than a car loan for a 2nd hand car... interest works out much cheaper and you have the vehicle at hand that can be sold overnight at will.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 16:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Am replying to the title - it is NOT worth buying a 2nd hand petrol Safari.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 17:08   #10
BHPian

Hey Rahul,
I suggest its not going to be a good decision. A few months back I was faced with the similar offer, and I thought about it a lot (I wanted to buy it, BUT...). Finally, I realized it wont be that good a decision.
Take a pen and write down all the pro's and con's. I am sure you'll be able to see it better.
All the best.
Girlie

P.S: In my opinion its not worth it...
girlieonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 17:10   #11
BANNED

Hi I'm saying it's not worth buying a used petrol Safari, and especially not if you're going to keep it long term.

Maintenance will be really high, and the car is not as tough as it looks. Stuff will keep breaking and blowing holes in your heart and wallet. Also the resale will be bad.

About the 2.2 Crdi, I have no comment yet, but I'd definitely advise you to wait for at least a year after the vehicle is launched before you buy it.
Knowing Tata, the first few batches will be full of faults and angry customers, which will eventually be rectified over time.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 17:13   #12
BANNED

Hey Rahul!
2nd hand Petrol Safari is very much avoidable. Not at all recommended.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 17:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Friends.. just recieved a call from tata workshop here which is saying a customer exi model of 2004 model is for sale quote between 2-3.5 lac ( i dont have a exact figure) for which i can take 1 -1.5 loan easily

Having said that...I guess consesus of this thread is 99% no for the second hand safari petrol, which i give full honors.. however i guess i ll check out dicor lx for its vantage points..Nevertheless, my target is diwali this year unless something unavoidable happens...
Ill keep all of us posted on the progress.

Regards
Old 11th September 2006, 17:57   #14
BHPian

If I were you, I would stay away from a Petrol Safari, the reason is simple.. IF a new tata vehicle can have niggling problems, imagine the possibility with a older vehicle. Just my two cents !
And am stating the above with respect to owning a new Safari DiCOR...
Dragonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 18:03   #15
BHPian

RahulK..

You are one brave soul..if you are planning to buy a Petrol Safari / scorpio..

Still if you are getting it at 2 - 2.5 lacs , it just can't get any cheaper..right !! I dont think it can depreciate anymore

If running expenses are not an issue wiht you , 2 lacs for a good safari is tempting..

Last edited by w 12 : 11th September 2006 at 18:08.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote