Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Your pick?
XUV500 AT 227 74.18%
Scorpio AT 19 6.21%
Creta AT 60 19.61%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th December 2015, 08:59   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Battle: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Hyundai Creta

Voted for Scorpio

1- Full Blown SUV with a proper 4WD
2- Tougher than the XUV
3- Less gizmos
4- Less complicated
5- Durability
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 12:48   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Battle: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Hyundai Creta

Nice Comparo Anurag. Though I voted for Creta AT, I'm actually confused between Creta & XUV 500.

We are looking to replace my dad's Verna Fluidic with a compact SUV. Creta AT ticks almost all the boxes, but -

The pricing feels a little higher for that car
The driving position is not SUV like and gives the same sedan feel.
6 months waiting period here in Hyderabad

On the other hand, XUV 500 is a great all rounder with a bigger and punchier engine - no doubt about that, but -

The dimensions are not that city - friendly (Dad's majority drive would be in city).
I have my doubts on its reliability and quality
Top-end variant crossing 20 lacs on road in Hyderabad

Our team-bhp review of XUV 500 AT made my decision more complicated.

Should look into micro details and differences now to decide between them.

Scorpio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
there's no way I'd buy a Scorpio today. Not even if someone put a gun to my head.
Totally agree with GTO here
madhav14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 14:15   #18
BHPian

Among the 3, only the XUV and the Creta are worth comparing if at all. The Scorpio is generations older to be any competition in my view. At this price bracket if I am the buyer looking for a Automatic SUV/pseudo SUV, then refinement would be a major factor. That is where I think the Scorpio falls short.

To make any comparison, I prefer doing a on paper analysis to see how the specs match up.
The XUV 500 W8 AT is the only model closest in terms of pricing to the Creta.

Exshowroom prices in Goa.
Mahindra XUV 500 W8 FWD AT - 15,62,000.00
Hyundai Creta AT - 13,77,000.00

We are looking at a price differential of approximately 2.0 lakh rupees. So what features do you get over the Creta for this?

Additional features in the XUV 500 W8 FWD AT

1. Logo Projection Lamps on ORVMs
2. Tyre-tronics
3. Intelligent Light-sensing Headlamps
4. Smart Rain-sensing Wipers
5. Side & Curtain Airbags
6. Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Rollover Mitigation
7. Hill Hold and Hill Descent Control
8. Disc Brakes on all Wheels
9. Telescopic Steering
10. Leather Upholstery

Features Exclusive to the Creta AT
1. Keyless Start Stop
2. Reverse parking camera with dynamic guides

Add to this the fact that the XUV is a size bigger with a larger seating capacity, huge presence and certainly the ability to go places the Creta owner would think twice about.
Sitting in the comforts of my chair, these on paper analysis surely makes the XUV a perfect choice.

Owning a Hyundai Creta AT and having test driven a XUV 500 (previous model), the final choice depends on what the buyer expects from the car.
If you want the extra seating capacity, the higher ground clearance, the presence of an SUV and all the added features to boot, the XUV is the answer. Even if the extra 2.0 L is a hindrance, the Creta is still not the solution you are looking for, because it is unmistakably a size smaller.
However if 4 seats suffice, coupled with the presence of a contemporary pseudo SUV then Creta is your answer.
They target 2 different user groups.
All said and done, if I had to be in the group that the XUV targets, I would hold my buying decision. Having driven the previous generation XUV, there is a lack of refinement. It didn't feel as though it's built to last which was sad considering the performance of the beautiful engine.
However I will soon be taking a test drive of XUV AT to see if things have changed.
The Goan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 01:39   #19
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2015 at 10:37.
MercFan is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 28th December 2015, 10:43   #20
BHPian

Creta AT if the user needs a compact car with 5 seats and no AWD.
Else, it's the XUV 500 all the way!
My vote goes to the XUV although I would seriously consider Creta if I need a small vehicle.

The Scorpio is too cramped and not contemporary.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th December 2015 at 10:46.
landcruiser123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 12:40   #21
BHPian

Looking at the features and specs, XUV 500 does win hands down. But I'm sure, heartily, one has that lack of confidence in Mahindra. So the balance shifts in favour of the Creta. With Endeavour round the corner, and an AT confirmed with 2 engine options, this segment is going to heat up more. I'm personally looking forward to the Endeavour and the pricing will certainly be the key!
streetfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 14:31   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the XUV. Have not experienced the AT, so the vote is mostly based on the reviews here. Have been a fan of the XUV since its launch and the addition of AT makes it so much more attractive. Today if you ask me to sell my Vento and buy another AT, the XUV would be my top choice ( purely by the heart). Great performance, a good AT box for a change, loaded with features and decent fit and finish.

The Creta for me is the 'Honda City' of the SUV/Urban SUV space. It makes a lot of sense as an overall 'package', but does not significantly excel in most of the key areas. I personally did not find it too spacious, the boot space was nothing great and missing top variant for the AT means it misses out on additional airbags, Hill Assist, ESC. That to me is are a lot of key misses in a car that costs 17L+ Bangalore. In fact one of my family members wants an SUV/SUVish AT in the 20L budget, but will not buy a Mahindra, likes the Creta but not sure about it. If I endorse it, he would go ahead- But just cannot get myself to recommend the Creta.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 15:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

3 different vehicles.

1. Monocoque vs Ladder-on-frame:
-or-
Soft ride vs not-so-soft

= Creta / XUV vs Scorpio

2. Compact ? then Creta. More seats / space ?
Then XUV

3. Budget:
if less - then Scorpio
if sufficient budget is available - then Creta or XUV.

I think the choice is not difficult
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 09:35   #24
BHPian

Voted for the Mahindra XUV5OO just like the majority (till now) on this thread. XUV5OO ha always been the favourite for me. Also, I am an MT guy and if was asked to choose an AT then this is the vehicle as it comes out as a more rounded package satisfying majority of the requirements for the Indian masses.

Scorpio too is a vehicle I like but whenever I drive the one owned by my close relative, I find the steering too vague and it frightens the hell out of me after 100kmph - Must agree, the FIATs have spoiled me allot.

Creta would reject it solely for that ugly rear especially in white. To be more specific, test drove one even though I found it expensive to find the rear seating too low.Even though the ride is very good, the handling department is still to be mastered by the Hyundai. The most important one would be that the spare cost and the cost of maintenance associated with a Hyundai in the long term. I expect Mahindra's to fair better in this regard even though I would have to bear with few irritating niggles.

Hope Mahindra comes up with a new generation of this beast with a big leap in quality when I am back in the market for a new drive, say 4-5 years.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 12:45   #25
BHPian

Voted for the Creta simply because one "mostly" needs an AT for intra city commutes and in this respect the smaller Creta is more practical than the bigger XUV500.

In a congested city like Bangalore hate to see many 'BIG" cars with just one person inside it , at least the Creta is smaller than the XUV 500 and there is some saving grace here.

What is funny is that the Creta nor the XUV 500 are SUV's though they are heavily marketed and believed to be so. Both are essentially monococque's and not true blooded SUVs and that leaves us with the Scorpio

Now again i am of the opinion that if you would like a true blooded SUV then a MT suits better than an AT so hence i did not chose the Scorpio.

Have absolutely no clue why Hyundai deprived the AT customers of the full safety specs ! to keep costs low? or they just figured out that AT customers do not go on the highways as much as MT customers and hence do not need / wont pay for top end safety? Kudos to Mahindra for getting that part right !
The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 14:11   #26
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Have driven all 3 AT versions.

Voted for the XUV AT. It also has AWD. It's negatives are the Key quality, the louder engine note, the Poor feel of the Dash and Plastics and of course the relatively higher number of niggles.

Creta AT does not have the ride or size of the XUV though it is cheaper, it will result in a more peaceful service experience, but the XUV felt a lot more fun. The XUV AT felt better than the XUV MT, while the Creta and Scorpio MT variants both felt better than their AT variants in the engine and gearbox performance area.

Scorpio AT- Why? The AT blunts the engine in this vehicle plus the Scorpio interior ergonomics are flawed. It is a dated design. The space between Doors and Seats as well the door pad quality and design it a major let down.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 14:52   #27
BHPian

Seriously a no brainer for me. If I am in market to buy a sub 15 lac automatic SUV, then XUV500 will be the choice. Scorpio is old and crude. Creta is more like a wannabe SUV rather than being a full fledged one.

Voted for XUV500. Well done Mahindra. You truly are India's foremost SUV maker.
xs2mayank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 18:09   #28
BHPian

I believe the Creta AT doesn't have Side/Curtain air-bags , which in my opinion are important, because manual transmission anyways allows a reasonable amount of gear control.

Also, I am a fan of disc brakes and the XUV500 has them on the rear as well.

So my vote for the XUV500.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 08:57   #29
BHPian

Easily, the XUV AT.

Problem with Hyundai Creta 'SUV', in my opinion: it is not an SUV, and for that matter, Hyundai does not make great SUVs, at least in India. I totally support Creta as a great product - urban vehicle, right attributes, something which our markets love. Its a good tall body hatch, being marketed as an SUV. It is a great package, it sells well, absolutely. But an SUV - pardon me, but naaah.

Scorpio AT, well in my opinion: is a contradiction. Scorpio is for macho ruggedness. Why would you care for an AT? Given the XUV AT now, I believe the Scorpio AT will see cannibalisation. Lets see how it pans out.
anshuman_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 00:11   #30
BHPian

Voted for the Scorpio AT - why? My work requires a ladder on frame SUV with low range 4x4 ... and I prefer the AT mainly due to ease of driving within the city and also when I go on-site. Booked one and awaiting its delivery anytime now
krishsreedharan is offline   Reply With Quote