Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th September 2006, 12:54   #16
BHPian

The Fiat Adventure? Worthy of a consideration!
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 16:42   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
Additionaly mount some high power spot lamps preferably on the roof, if the lights of the oncoming truck blind you just switch them on and watch them miraculously dip their high beams.
It's illegal to mount any fogs/spotlights above the level of your headlights. So you might run into trouble in areas where they enforce this law.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 17:08   #18
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I think higher/taller cars have a bad time during nightdriving too. Amongst the cars sold today i think Santro and Indica have very wide throw headlights. I've used and travelled extensively in Qualis/Safari/Sumo and i've always found that any oncoming santro's headlights were blinding on highbeam. I think you should go in for the new FUSION as its petrol (u cud switch to alternate fuels like CNG/LPG later incase of petrol), and then think bout getting XENON lamps and/or a slight film on the front windscreen.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 22:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Methinks Filcord is repenting starting this thread

We've put him in more doubt that when he started!
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 13:47   #20
BHPian

Tata TL? Should be the tallest seating, short of trucks/buses.
Dunno if it's below 7L..
Fusion is a practical choice.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 14:10   #21
BHPian

a Safari will do the job. but fellow members say it will not be the exact solution to glare
garvit2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 16:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
first of all,changing your car because the oncomung car's headlights blind you sounds senseless
Hey, the car is already old, and he is changing anyway.

Thanks all you guys, the inputs are tremendously helpful. I love that suggestion to mount lights on the roof, sometimes I feel I should mount a flamethrower there too for some of boors using the roads!
So far I feel the Scorpio or Fusion seem to show some promise.

But anyone has any figures, like how high is the seat of your suggested car from ground level?
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 17:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

well if blinding lights are the only reason to buy a new car ...I would suggest he buy those light enhancer glasses (anti glare) . A cousin of mine bought a pair of oakleys and they were really amazing.Work like normal sun glasses during the day and during the night they work as light enhancers at the same time cutting the glares from the oncoming traffic. I have personally tried them and feel they are awesome for night driving.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 17:20   #24
BHPian

He he I was kidding about the roof mounts, however on a serious thought, Even a off focus bumper mounted fog will give the desired effect.

Jokes apart, well scorpio really has a commanding view of the road, and it is quite high too. Can't comment of the fusion, as I heven't driven it.

BTW: My spacio SA also gives me a great commanding view of the road ahead. I am in love with this vehicle only for this reason.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 18:21   #25
BHPian

I also drive a Qualis, i feel it has a good height, but cant say much bout the headlight blinding, dosnt make much of a difference !
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 19:28   #26
BHPian

Does Sun film help in this regard? I remember there are some people in the forum who had installed sun film on their front windshields - Samurai, IceMan ?
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 21:30   #27
BHPian

i would recommend the dicor... with the new price i think you get more than what you pay for. & the vehicle has good ground clearance so even if you are forced off the roads with on coming bright lights you will not damage the underside.
sanket12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 18:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Methinks Filcord is repenting starting this thread

We've put him in more doubt that when he started!
thats exactly i was thinking...
are there any other cars left for suggestion
sriny_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 20:01   #29
BHPian

A turbo-Sumo will make your relative the king of the road. The Sumo has a very high seating position, so much so that you have to sort-of climb-up to get in. It has an ex-showroom price of around 6 lakhs in Delhi for the Victa GX TC 7-seater Euro-III version. http://uv.tatamotors.com/newuv/sumo/victa.asp#

No other vehicle in the category will come for that sort of price.
Scorpio CRDe (starts at 7 lakhs) , Safari (starts at 6.4 lakhs for the old turbo version which is a dog with the 2 tonne kerb weight) and the Tavera (starts at Rs 6.80 lakhs for the A/C version).

But since your relative earlier owned a Maruti, he can go in for the Versa which is very good value for money and also the experience of driving a heavy vehicle (like the Sumo) after a very heavy light one (Esteem), will be quite ,well - different. But nothing to beat the experience of a big vehicle with a commanding seating position.
jessie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:59   #30
BHPian

Hey filcord, ur best options are the Safari, Scorpio, and then the Tavera. (Tavera more higher than fusion) the Scorpio is above the range specified thou.

Sometimes i wish i could get the huge big round halogen light used in movie shootings, installed on my roof so if someone comes with high beams , i can blow this on him! or some kinda electronic device, jamesbond kinda, which can blast his bulbs!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote