Toyota Innova Crysta GX 214 54.59%
Honda BRV VX 29 7.40%
Renault Lodgy Stepway 32 8.16%
Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 117 29.85%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st July 2016, 12:06   #91
Default Re: Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy

Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The BR-V is actually safer for the adult occupant than the Innova Crysta, even though the difference is marginal.
Innova Crysta

I've also heard very good opinion about Lodgy from couple of my friends who own them. Product wise, I think Renault is hard to beat. But agree on the after sales and service part; can be a hit or miss. Also, I see some people comment about XUV and niggles in electronics. I own a W8 AWD for 2+ years now and the only niggle I faced till now is a broken puddle lamp clamp. And in this 2 years of ownership, I've spent ~Rs.3000 for the service. But my friend had not been very lucky, but the front left suspension and clutch plate were replaced free of cost.
My apartment mate's Liva had a broken timing chain within 6 months of ownership. My point is that a Mahindra does not inherently mean niggles or a Toyota does not mean supreme reliability. But I agree that the law of averages still holds good in this case.

Interesting. I should have looked up the NCAP ratings. This was the feeling I got when I saw each in person. Actually no Honda available in India gives me the feeling of safety. I was quite impressed with the Renault Lodgy Taxi I used for a rather short and lovely 3 hour airport run in Bangalore. It being a Dacia however, I'd not trust one long term over the Crysta. Unless VW/Skoda launch a people mover, I'm not looking anywhere other than the Innova for my requirements.

P.S Please do note, that compared to my European vehicles, no Japanese car other than Subaru has even come close to feeling safe. This has even been true for me when comparing similar Lexus/Acura/Infiniti with Mercedes/BMW/Audi; maybe psychological but still, its the feeling and confidence that the Europeans inspire.

Last edited by imp! : 1st July 2016 at 12:09.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 14:19   #92

The answer to this poll depends on a lot of factors. It may not be easy to put all the candidates in a single basket and ask one to choose.

If I were in the market for a 7 seat automatic, had 27 lakhs budget, did not case about high running costs (low mileage), and did not care of pollution by high capacity diesels (well, I know not all high capacity diesels are polluting, but they pollute more than petrols?), then Innova would be a no-brainer.

But given the above constraints, I think there is nothing other than a BRV. An automatic, seven seater petrol with a decent mileage.
Bh.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 15:00   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the Lodgy a true 7-seater ? Saw one with 7 pax, and the rear seemed to have dipped a little ..
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 19:40   #94

Isn't Lodgy a bit too light for such a vehicle at lower than 1400 kg kerb weight? I had driven one and cannot say I liked the rattling and feeling of it getting blown away in a gale. Toyota Crysta is a full 500 kg more in terms of kerb weight. I am aware that kerb weight might not be a deciding factor for most people, but I have been driving a Nissan Sunny as one of my cars, and it is absolutely flimsy in terms of sheet quality.

Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Have voted for BRV over Crysta. One of the major reasons for that was that you plant to switch cars after 4-5 years and BR-V would cut your absolute losses significantly on depreciation. BRV has quite a few flaws, but nothing that's a deal breaker and comes across as supremely practical.

If the plan was to keep the car for 7-8 years, I would have said go for the Crysta, and it would reap you the benefits over the years of ownership.

BTW, if you are open to used cars, a well maintained second hand Toyota Fortuner could be had for less than BRV and would be excellent on all accounts. Won't feel cheap, easy to maintain, spacious, very comfortable and a hoot to drive. Well maintained Fortuners can be had for 12 lakhs. Additionally, you won't take a massive depreciation hit either.
Not sure on the resale value. Honda has set its benchmarks in India with the City, and no other car from its stable has any serious resale value (cannot say for the hatchbacks, but the Accord, Civic and CRV just do not have any resale value). The exception might be Amaze as everyone who owns it swears by it. I own a CRV automatic (Type II, 2005 model), and I just cannot find a buyer for it- driven locally by my dad for the sheer comfort it provides him. We will have to wait for a couple of years more on results on resale value of the Mobilo and BRV, but don't think they are doing that great in India in the primary market.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th July 2016 at 11:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
rajivrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 15:05   #95

As a update and apt to the thread title - In a twist of fate I've decided against the BR-V for reasons outlined in earlier post (they started looming too large on me :-D) or the Innova and finally opted for the Hyundai Creta SX+ Auto Diesel.

Primary reasons:
-I anyways wanted 5 seats not 7, just five comfortable ones rather than 7 compromised ones.
- Wanted a decent autobox
- While running's not much, i preferred diesel because of the torquey nature and the fact that the fuel efficiency delta gets magnified as the vehicle becomes larger.
- wanted something with great fit and finish and minimum maintenance hassles (fingers crossed).

The above's in the hope that it'll help someone come to a decision. Thanks to all those who pitched in with theirs thoughts! :-)
vineshpikale is offline   Reply With Quote