Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 31st July 2016, 11:52   #16
Default Re: Which Petrol SUV in the 20-30L range?

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Do you need an SUV? If not, you have the Innova petrol for which bookings have started.

I don't know whether the Innova will satisfy this requirement of yours:
I think it's reasonable to assume that the Innova ZX is a (very) safe car.

Note: Be a little flexible on the crash rating requirement. All models will have some differences in safety features (ESC missing, seatbelt reminder missing etc.)
It's just that my dad and I don't like the Innova Crysta design (have just seen the photos till now).

I give a lot of weightage to the crash ratings and an incident last year reinforced it.
Me any my family were being chauffeured in our Renault Scala (4 star) when a Maruti Swift (? star) overtaking from the opposite side hit us. The accident happened on a state highway in Kerala.

Hit#1: The Swift hit the back door of the Scala at a tangent where my sister was sitting as well as the rear wheel. The Scala doors had their metal sheet torn of to show some reinforcing underneath, but nothing else happened. The Swift on the other hand dropped dead in the middle of the road.

It's engine bay was completely crushed for the right half, the front right tire busted and pushed back into the drivers seat area of the Swift. Luckily, the traffic following them swerved away else it would have been a pile up. It had to be towed away with front bottom of the car scraping the road.

Airbags on the driver seat of Scala deployed when this happened.

Hit#2: The force of being hit so hard on the right pushed the Scala towards the left side of the road and we had a wooden post and a bike riding on the wrong direction (biker's safe now) double impacting the front left side of the car yet caused less damage than what the Swift got from the door. This happened about a split second later and as I remember my airbag deployed at this time (I was sitting in the front passenger seat). The car braked to a stop, the car engine shutdown by itself and the horn got activated (not sure if this was by design). The continuous blaring horn of our car attracted everyone in the vicinity to help us while sadly very few people going to the stranded swift and the biker. (We had to cut the wires of the horn later to make it stop).

We were able to walk away from the crash. The Scala looked like it would live to ride another day, the Swift did not.

And that's why crash ratings are important to me.

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Delayed? They might do it since the Elantra is coming first and they might want to give it some breathing space before Tucson hits the market. Tucson has far better chances of success than the Elantra.

Diesel only? I don't think so- thanks to NGT bans and the fact that they are testing the petrol as well already.

Attachment 1535840
That is good news, looking forward to this one!

Last edited by di1in : 31st July 2016 at 12:02.
di1in is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 19:32   #17
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Which Petrol SUV in the 20-30L range?

Good to see someone give top priority to safety. I completely endorse your views. One of the reasons why I chose my current vehicle was that it was a perfect fit for my needs in terms of top notch safety kit (the first priority), compact size at the price point I was prepared to shell out.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote