Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 26th November 2016, 16:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which SUV should I buy? Budget = 60 lakhs

Quote:
I am based in Bombay, and focussed on ex show room Bombay prices
Do try X5 as well, even though it will be expensive by 10-15 lac or so but will be surely worth, there must be some offers on X5 as well. If that's not feasible, GLC - CBU Petrol should be the one to go. X3 is getting changed soon whereas GLC is brand new.

Quote:
Has the XC60 been upgraded yet?
Not yet, again given the age for this model, better you avoid this. Maybe you can check their new sedan.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th November 2016 at 16:24.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 22:27   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Interesting thread. I am currently in an almost identical evaluation process and any inputs would be appreciated. I am based in Bombay, and focussed on ex show room Bombay prices with Octroi (my company will register the car).

Have test driven the X3 20d, GLC 220d and the Disco Sport HSE Plus (190 BHP) so far. I self drive in city traffic on most occasions, but do go for the odd road trip, and will occasionally have 4 adults plus a rapidly growing 9 year old on board. Given my usage (my Superb has done 55500 km in 6.5 years), I don't really need a diesel - my only concern about the petrols in this segment (GLC 300/DS Petrol) is that they seem to be rare, and I have not been able to test drive them. Am getting good discounts on the X3 20d, limited discounts on the Mercedes, and JLR is yet to get back with an offer. The price spread between the X3 20d and X3 30d seems to have widened - discounts on the 30d are less than on the 20d - hence it does seem to be moving out of my consideration set.

Anything else to be considered? What kind of discounts should one push for? Inputs appreciated.
So firstly, the X3 will be getting a 25x bhp petrol engine, in the X3 28i which will be launched soon. That may be suitable for you. Also worth mentioning that the X3 is due to be replaced sometime next year if I'm not wrong. But on the whole its a great vehicle, and lovely in drive in Mumbai traffic too.

I would honestly say, stretch a bit and get the X3 30d. PM me and I'll put you in touch with my sales consultant who will probably work out a good deal for you. Its got loads of more features, and will feel worth the money.

The ride is a bit stiff, but tubeless tyres will fix that.

As for the GLC I haven't driven it yet, but the interiors were very nice. Its ride is apparently better than the X3, but I'm not too sure.

As for the Land Rover, I thought you might have had enough of bad service with the Skoda??
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 16:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Being an X3 owner myself in its 20d avatar I'd say go for the X3 use the yearend as an opportunity to squeeze the maximum discount from the dealer in the 20d version. The car is remarkable in terms of driving and reliability till now. Switching to normal tubeless will improve the harsh ride immensely.
Have you taken BSI? And does the warranty get invalidated by switching to tubeless tires? Presume you have a space saver in the boot in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
X3 rides pretty well and its the run flats that give the ride harshness at slow speeds. At higher speeds you won't feel any difference and the adaptive suspension does a phenomenal job. I am not sure whether I will be switching to normal tubeless after my current set wears out as the advantages of run flats are weighing more than the disadvantages as of now.

I believe the X3 is the only one in its class that adjusts damper firmness based on driving mode.

One negative about the X3 which I've experienced is the gear box behaviour in slow stop and go traffic. I managed to squeeze out about 6.50L from the OTR last year. Discounts on the 20d were upto 10L. Do consider the X3 30d since pricewise, after discounts, it won't be that much off the mark compared to the GLC and DS. The new Audi Q5 looks good and is getting rave reviews. You can add it to your consideration set if you can wait a few months. Happy hunting!
Thanks for the detailed feedback. The 30d does sound tempting but even with a 5 lakh ex show room discount (which is not yet on the table), it would be almost 60 l ex show room Mumbai vs 54 list (pre discounts) for the GLC and sub 50 for the X3 20d. And frankly, for my driving which is 90% in stop and go Mumbai traffic, the 20d and GLC 220d are probably enough - will consider the 28i and the GLC 300 if I get to test drive them, but that has not yet come through. And as Turbanator has said, if one get to the X3 30d, the X5 is not that far away - it's a slippery slope and I want to limit the expense. As for the Q5, if I wait, the new E, the new 5 et al start coming in - so won't wait for a car, will consider if I have not yet closed when it launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do try X5 as well. If that's not feasible, GLC - CBU Petrol should be the one to go.
CBUs seem few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
X3 will be getting a 25x bhp petrol engine, in the X3 28i which will be launched soon. X3 is due to be replaced sometime next year. PM me and I'll put you in touch with my sales consultant. As for the Land Rover, I thought you might have had enough of bad service with the Skoda??
Thanks for the info on the 28i - the website has it mentioned in the price list section but no test drive cars yet. On Land Rover - guess I am a maschoist

Last edited by Hayek : 27th November 2016 at 16:22.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 15:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Would advise you to check out the GT 30i as well - incredible engine, good ground clearance, and a fantastic ride/handling balance!
Plus, I found the rear seats of the GT that much better than the 5 series and X3 in terms of ease of ingress/egress, legroom (compared to the 5 series), and support (compared to the X3 which was too low for my liking).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 22:03   #35

I am in a similar dilemma at the moment in choosing between MB and BMW SUVs.

I am looking to replace my 520D that is almost 3 years old with a SUV. I would prefer a petrol version rather than a diesel.

The budget that I can stretch upto is 70L and I would be trading in my 520D. I have test driven the GLE350d and the X5 3.0d (Pure Experience ver). The Volvo XC90 was way above my range and I want to avoid Audi, and LR.

The first and foremost factor that plays a big role in the vehicle I choose would be Safety and then the driving dynamics and some off-road prowess (when I drive to my ancestral place).

After back to back test drives, here is my perception of each of the vehicles.

1. The X5 drives like a car (similar to the 5 series) with some additional gizmos. Doesn't really have a crawl feature for pure offroad. The seating is top notch and the interior is cleanly laid out. The audio (HK) was much better than the one on my 5 series. The power delivery was instantaneous.

2. The GLE350d is all about safety and comfort. The 360 degree view is quite handy and the multiple drive modes with Airmatic suspension is a huge plus. the power delivery was sluggish even in sports mode. The ride is more plaint as compared to the Bimmer (Expected). The interior quality was a bit more upscale compared to the BMW (like the bonnet release switch and the seat adjustment plastics). The interior controls were too crowded compared to the X5.

The reason to go from a sedan to a SUV is primarily because of the endemic bad roads in Bangalore and outskirts.

I would love to hear from the owners of X5 and GLE350d if there are things that I should know about. Not sure if I can get them around 70L OTR though (without insurance). The only petrol option is GLE400 and it was not available for a test drive.

I would drive about 5000Kms a year and mostly on the paved roads.
HentaiDesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 00:12   #36
BHPian

Hentaidesi,

Don't know about the X5, but the GLE350d would be out of range since your max budget OTR is 70 lacs. Since you are looking at a five seater SUV and also a petrol, do take a look at the GLC 300.

It is neither too big to drive in and around Bangalore and can handle the odd rough road drive to your home town.

Cheers
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 09:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Here are some youtube videos from Carwow on some of the contender's of this thread

Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 11:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HentaiDesi View Post
After back to back test drives, here is my perception of each of the vehicles.

2. The GLE350d is all about safety and comfort. The 360 degree view is quite handy and the multiple drive modes with Airmatic suspension is a huge plus. the power delivery was sluggish even in sports mode. The ride is more plaint as compared to the Bimmer (Expected). The interior quality was a bit more upscale compared to the BMW (like the bonnet release switch and the seat adjustment plastics). The interior controls were too crowded compared to the X5.

The reason to go from a sedan to a SUV is primarily because of the endemic bad roads in Bangalore and outskirts.

I would love to hear from the owners of X5 and GLE350d if there are things that I should know about. Not sure if I can get them around 70L OTR though (without insurance). The only petrol option is GLE400 and it was not available for a test drive.
I'm pretty sure both of these cars are out of your budget if your total is 70L (Including the exchange). The X3 or GLC is more realistic for this budget.

Just FYI the sport mode on the GL's don't change the engine characteristics, they only switch the suspension to sport. I've not really missed a sport mode for the engine, once you start driving a little spiritedly the car recognizes what you want and immediately starts shifting gears in a sport's like mode. I've never found the power delivery on the 350 sluggish, it's a very responsive and powerful engine. With the new service packages from Merc, both the Merc and BMW should be the same when it comes to service.
VellVector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 16:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I am currently in an almost identical evaluation process
Quote:
Originally Posted by HentaiDesi View Post
I am in a similar dilemma at the moment in choosing between MB and BMW SUVs.
Guys:
Any update? Seems this is a good time to buy. Maybe January middle would be even better. GLE, X5, XC60 would be available at mouth watering prices.
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote