Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Which Would you choose?
Honda BR-V V-CVT Petrol 13 13.98%
Tata Hexa XMA Diesel 80 86.02%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 15:01   #16
BHPian
 
IN07KL0484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cochin, Delhi
Posts: 27
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

I have voted for Hexa as I feel you are getting much more of a car for the 15% premium. And I am also quite certain that once you get the Hexa, your annual running would definitely increase.

Apart from these, I think you should also look into XUV500 and Crysta AT Petrol. Crysta AT Petrol does make sense in your case as your running is low, and would be a bit easier to drive in the city plus better resale and Toyota reliability.
IN07KL0484 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 15:12   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 560
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

I would pick the Hexa over the BRV any day of the week and twice on Sudays. Not only is it priced well, it is very well put together, extremely comfortable and practical to own. Highway or City driving, even if you don't like big cars, for a large family, this will be much better to sit in than Honda. It's a no brainer to me
imp! is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 15:16   #18
BHPian
 
Nissan1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 549 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

A friend of mine is in the same dilemma. Apparently, driving a Honda guarantees better "status" in our society. I do not understand how this works- in any other country, except China perhaps, people love driving locally designed cars. In India things seem to work differently- economy grade products priced exorbitantly sell well because they have a better sounding badge.

I vote for the Hexa. If not the Hexa, the XUV or the TUV or the Ertiga. Not the BR-V. I have travelled in one (a Taxi) and it does not give you a premium feeling. The interiors of the Hexa are superb and definitely more silent.
Happy shopping!

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 6th July 2017 at 15:18.
Nissan1180 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 16:26   #19
BHPian
 
rambo1o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 423
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
We are a family of six and as the kids have grown up over the years, we have been planning to move into a more spacious 7 seater Automatic from our 2011 Honda................
So, given the above scenario, what would be your choice & why?
I have a similar dilemma however we are looking for a Comfortable 5 seater diesel automatic SUV/Pseudo SUV which gives us the max bang for buck, max budget 16.5 lakh(post GST)! Automatic is a must. I'm not going to discuss about the merits of the BRV here since i have no experience with it.
We have the creta sx+, xuv500 W6 AT and hexa XMA in mind, we did like the HEXA's drive/interior quality but looking at the XMA Version, there are a lot of features missing.

Since your also contemplating on the Hexa XMA ,i would list out the negatives of this version only.
No doubt the car drives beautifully and interiors are very well put together, however for 16.1 lakhs onroad (old insurance transfer and excluding tcs, extended warranty etc) there are a lot of features missing.
1.NO ACC, no cruise control: Not that important but after paying 16+ lakh, feels cheap.

2. NO electronic folding OVRM! : For us, this is a big no no! for such a wide Vehicle in narrow streets, rolling windows down and manually folding mirrors in traffic is a big miss. I have used the electric folding mirrors on my Ciaz n number of times and it saved me alot of hassle. Installing after market is also a pain and warranty issues.

3. NO alloys wheels, stock molded steels wheels look pathetic,could have given normal steel wheels with wheelcaps, alloys are a must! Cost 36k for tata branded 16 inchers.

4. NO fog lights, foglight+DRL cost 28k for the pair including fitting.

5. No camera!: tata branded camera is 20K. would have to install an aftermarket cheaper one but wouldn't know whether a number plate one would fit or would have to drill the bumper.

Adding these basic extra accessories(including seat covers) would make the hexa touch 17 lakhs which was not worth it, hence we dropped the idea and decided on the XUV500 W6 AT.

I know some people would say im being biased against the Hexa XMA only due to the lack of features but some features are really important that make the drive much more enjoyable.If i had the cash for the XTA, i would be more inclined towards the hexa.
The XUV AT has better important features and should give a little more mileage,That being said if ride and passenger comfort is highest priority on your list and you can live without the missing features then the Hexa is a really good people mover, though the XUV aint that bad

This is my honest opinion and hope your car choosing experience is as stress free as possible.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 6th July 2017 at 16:30.
rambo1o1 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 16:47   #20
BHPian
 
avdhesh15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 523
Thanked: 526 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

As others have said, depends on your usage. Looking at my usage (80% expressway runs), I have voted for the Hexa.

In your case, you need to see highway vs city driving, total distance driven, and requirement of 5+ seats. There's no beating the refinement of the BRV CVT vis-a-vis the Hexa but there's nothing beating the Hexa in terms of size and comfort.

Let us know what you go with finally.
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 18:30   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 2,774 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

Here are the obvious fact that you don't need any of us telling you:
  1. Both suit your requirements as a 6 seater
  2. Usually more expensive cars are better
  3. Depends on your usage

These are the facts. The general rules and advice that one gives when it comes to deciding between two cars while seated at a computer.

What I would say is; Forget your usage, what kind of car would you like to drive? Or which would you prefer to drive? I added the second version of that question after noticing your automatic requirement They are both such entirely different cars to drive at the end of the day and no ammount of crunching numbers behind a computer screen, is going to help make the decision any easier. You absolutely need to take them on a long-ish test drive. You will notice that the Hexa feels like it can tackle bad patches with ease and cruise fast and insulate you from most of the noise. The BR-V on the other hand feels light (almost flimsy in comparison to the Hexa) but that's not entirely a bad thing. Apart from being a monocoque the fact that it is a feather-weight makes it incredibly easy to chuck about in the city and when the speeds increase out on the highway, I usually say that a lighter car has more approachable limits. Correctional inputs at high speeds are always met with more instantaneous responses all in all it could make for more fun. It depends on how hands on you want to get with the driving I guess. Whether you want to sit tall and glide over the potholes, or whether you want to dart about dodging obstacles and occasionally fancy yourself a bit of an adrenaline rush.

For example, I love to drive and thus I'd choose the BR-V. People might say I'm crazy, they might talk about how the Hexa is more premium, better built, better insulated, etc. But at the end of the day it is a 2 tonne mammoth with a high center of gravity and that's no good for me no matter how many people want to ride along.

If you do prefer the premium build and sound insulation of the Hexa over the general athleticism of the BR-V, then go for it since it is based on the Aria platform which Tata has had years of R&D to improve upon so niggles shouldn't really be a worry.

PS: if you do choose the Honda, please upgrade the tyres.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th July 2017 at 18:42.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 19:38   #22
BHPian
 
kaushikr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

I was in the exact same boat couple of months ago and picked up the BRV. I did do the comparison, detailed excels and read the reviews etc.. but in the end it came to head over heart, and head won!

Well if the Hexa's price was as attractive as it is now, then I would have been further confused, but having picked up the BRV, there are no regrets.

With the BRV, in Bangalore, it is a breeze to drive the vehicle. There are quite a few NARROW roads here and 'I think' the Hexa would be a bit cumbersome to drive. We wanted a daily drive car, that could be navigated through the Gallis of Bangalore. The car is easy to drive and everyone in my family who drives our other car, the A-Star also easily drives this. That is the biggest plus of the BRV.

While the Hexa is a brilliant package too, my suggestion would be pick up something what works for you and your family.

The main disadvantage of you picking up the BRV after City is that, it might not feel like an upgrade.

Last edited by kaushikr : 6th July 2017 at 19:40.
kaushikr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 19:41   #23
Newbie
 
Varun_HexaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 25
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

I've voted for the Hexa. I own a Hexa XTA for the past 2.5 months and its already 4,600kms under its belt! None of my cars which I've owned till have done such kind of a running(barring my recent erstwhile Linea). The slushbox in the Hexa will make you fall in love with the drive it has to offer and its my dad's daily commuter and he finds it easy to amble in the city despite its huge dimensions and the FE in the city makes sure that your pocket doesn't end-up with a huge hole in your pocket everytime during the fuel refills. The only time when you feel that its huge is while you slot it in a tight parking slot but the parking sensors and camera do guide you well in such circumstances. BTW, the Hexa is a proper rough roader and a segment higher than the BRV. If you are a truly Live-to-Drive types, go for the Hexa without a second thought.

All the best with your next upgrade,
Varun
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 19:43   #24
BHPian
 
kbishwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Jamshedpur
Posts: 91
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Automatic: Honda BR-V v/s Tata Hexa

Usually test drives are conducted in the highest version available (valid for Hexa in this discussion thread), how findings of XTA can be taken for XMA with 16 inch wheels (particularly ride & handling). If I remember correctly, Aditya/GTO were critical about 19 inch wheels in XTA.
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 18:02   #25
BHPian
 
vikash49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 137
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Update!

I had already taken a test drive of the BR-V CVT about a month back, but hadn’t even seen the Hexa in the flesh. So, seeing the multiple advantages of the Hexa as pointed out on this thread here, I was almost sold on the Hexa, and not just that, I had also mentally decided that It would be better to go the whole distance and get the XTA with all the bells & whistles. Time to get a test drive.

So, Friday evening, I logged on to http://hexa.tatamotors.com and signed up for a test drive. Within 15mins I got a call from Tata. They thanked me for my interest and asked me to reconfirm my location. I told them it’s Guwahati, Assam. What came next was a total shock! They didn’t have any dealership in Guwahati!! All these years, they had not one but two dealerships here, but seemingly, both have closed down in recent times. This was quite a dampener for me!

They lady on the phone however insisted that I should still take a test drive and that she could arrange one from the next closest dealership which was located in a small town, Nowgaon, around 120kms from here.

Reluctantly, I gave my go ahead and within a couple of minutes; I got a call from the dealership in Nowgaon. They were very courteous and didn’t seem one bit hesitant about sending the car on a 250kms round trip for a test drive!

As agreed upon, Sunday morning 11am, the car reached my place and seeing it for the first time in flesh, I could now quantify what Aditya meant when he wrote “Smart styling & substantial presence”! It was huge & imposing. The much talked about 19inchers looked absolutely fabulous in the morning light. As I got inside, I noticed that they had got the XT variant which is a manual transmission as they didn’t have an AT variant for TD.

Took it for a long spin with the entire family on board and everyone was pretty impressed by both its interiors as well as the ride over the broken roads around our locality. Kids loved the last row with its dedicated AC Vents.

However, as the test drive drew to an end, I realised I couldn’t buy this car. And there were primarily three reasons for that..
- There’s no denying that this is a big car but its turning circle is even bigger! I had to make two 3-point turns to get the car into or out of my designated parking space. In comparison, my Honda City does it in a single sweeping turn. Also, with more than 70% of my driving being limited to the city, it could turn out to be quite stressful in the mad traffic here.

- Having read about some of the niggles faced by Hexa owners, I just couldn’t risk buying this relatively new car from Tata without the backup of a local dealership / service centre in my city.

- Finally, the floor was quite high and my mom had to stress her knees getting into the car. Wouldn’t want her to go through this every time she got into the car.
There’s no doubt that the HEXA is a great vehicle and an excellent effort by Tata. But, what's even more commendable is the all new “ready to serve” attitude of the Tata dealerships when it comes to Hexa customers. Too bad, it’s not the right car for me!

Last edited by vikash49 : 11th July 2017 at 18:06.
vikash49 is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 00:48   #26
BHPian
 
kbishwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Jamshedpur
Posts: 91
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
However, as the test drive drew to an end, I realised I couldn’t buy this car. And there were primarily three reasons for that..[indent] - There’s no denying that this is a big car but its turning circle is even bigger! I had to make two 3-point turns to get the car into or out of my designated parking space. In comparison, my Honda City does it in a single sweeping turn. Also, with more than 70% of my driving being limited to the city, it could turn out to be quite stressful in the mad traffic here.

- Having read about some of the niggles faced by Hexa owners, I just couldn’t risk buying this relatively new car from Tata without the backup of a local dealership / service centre in my city.

- Finally, the floor was quite high and my mom had to stress her knees getting into the car. Wouldn’t want her to go through this every time she got into the car.
This reminds me of a girl-friend who left her boyfriend after flirting all the way saying sweetheart you are too tall for me!!

Whatever, IMHO, you may try an XUV500, W6 automatic model. On any day it will be a better vehicle compared to BRV!
kbishwa is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 09:34   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dehradun & NCR
Posts: 232
Thanked: 233 Times
Smile Good Show TATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
So, Friday evening, I logged on to http://hexa.tatamotors.com and signed up for a test drive. Within 15mins I got a call from Tata.
Quote:
They lady on the phone however insisted that I should still take a test drive and that she could arrange one from the next closest dealership which was located in a small town, Nowgaon, around 120kms from here.
Quote:
..within a couple of minutes; I got a call from the dealership in Nowgaon. They were very courteous and didn’t seem one bit hesitant about sending the car on a 250kms round trip for a test drive!
Quote:
There’s no doubt that the HEXA is a great vehicle and an excellent effort by Tata. But, what's even more commendable is the all new “ready to serve” attitude of the Tata dealerships when it comes to Hexa customers. Too bad, it’s not the right car for me!
Looks like TATA is waking up to a customer-centric approach. The pro-activeness of the dealerships is refreshing, hope it stays this way. With a slew of interesting and capable products lined up for launch, a customer-centric approach coupled with knowledgeable and proactive dealerships / A$$ will translate into a great all-round buying / servicing experience and consequently, a happy customer.

Is it too early to say 'Good show !' ?

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 12:17   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 285
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
I had already taken a test drive of the BR-V CVT about a month back, but hadn’t even seen the Hexa in the flesh. So, seeing the multiple advantages of the Hexa as pointed out on this thread here, I was almost sold on the Hexa, and not just that, I had also mentally decided that It would be better to go the whole distance and get the XTA with all the bells & whistles. Time to get a test drive.

So, Friday evening, I logged on to http://hexa.tatamotors.com and signed up for a test drive. Within 15mins I got a call from Tata. They thanked me for my interest and asked me to reconfirm my location. I told them it’s Guwahati, Assam. What came next was a total shock! They didn’t have any dealership in Guwahati!! All these years, they had not one but two dealerships here, but seemingly, both have closed down in recent times. This was quite a dampener for me!

They lady on the phone however insisted that I should still take a test drive and that she could arrange one from the next closest dealership which was located in a small town, Nowgaon, around 120kms from here.

Reluctantly, I gave my go ahead and within a couple of minutes; I got a call from the dealership in Nowgaon. They were very courteous and didn’t seem one bit hesitant about sending the car on a 250kms round trip for a test drive!

As agreed upon, Sunday morning 11am, the car reached my place and seeing it for the first time in flesh, I could now quantify what Aditya meant when he wrote “Smart styling & substantial presence”! It was huge & imposing. The much talked about 19inchers looked absolutely fabulous in the morning light. As I got inside, I noticed that they had got the XT variant which is a manual transmission as they didn’t have an AT variant for TD.

Took it for a long spin with the entire family on board and everyone was pretty impressed by both its interiors as well as the ride over the broken roads around our locality. Kids loved the last row with its dedicated AC Vents.

However, as the test drive drew to an end, I realised I couldn’t buy this car. And there were primarily three reasons for that..
- There’s no denying that this is a big car but its turning circle is even bigger! I had to make two 3-point turns to get the car into or out of my designated parking space. In comparison, my Honda City does it in a single sweeping turn. Also, with more than 70% of my driving being limited to the city, it could turn out to be quite stressful in the mad traffic here.

- Having read about some of the niggles faced by Hexa owners, I just couldn’t risk buying this relatively new car from Tata without the backup of a local dealership / service centre in my city.

- Finally, the floor was quite high and my mom had to stress her knees getting into the car. Wouldn’t want her to go through this every time she got into the car.
There’s no doubt that the HEXA is a great vehicle and an excellent effort by Tata. But, what's even more commendable is the all new “ready to serve” attitude of the Tata dealerships when it comes to Hexa customers. Too bad, it’s not the right car for me!
I was pleasantly surprised as well by the proactiveness from Tata.

I was working from home on Friday a couple of weeks back and went to the Tata Hexa website.They had a number where you need to give a missed call and they would arrange for TD.I gave a call and within 30 seconds get a call back from Tata Pune.They ask me my location and what the nearest Tata dealer would be.I give them the closest dealer and get a call(multiple) on Saturday.Fixed the test drive for Sunday 11:30am.Even on Sunday,they kept me informed that they are reaching 15 mins late(which is nothing actually).Did the TD and they gave a token gift and took a snap.The best thing I admired is their professionalism and their earnest attitude.I think they are trying their best to change their reputation.

A big thumbs up to the K B Motors Tata team
Too bad that I dont think this is the perfect car for me(slightly big for everyday commute).

I am sure they can change their brand image if they continue like this.
joy_swift is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Hexa : Official Review Aditya Official New Car Reviews 2721 22nd August 2017 11:43
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016 GTO The Indian Car Scene 1664 21st November 2016 22:24
Tata Hexa @ Geneva Motor Show 2015. An Aria-based Crossover! smsrini The Indian Car Scene 445 4th February 2016 00:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks