Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:12   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,456
Thanked: 1,798 Times
Default

The Early Model Scorpio (2002) Had the BA10 gearbox.
But the gearbox couldnot handle the Torque generated by SZ116 Engine, so M&M developed the NGT530.

A friend of mine has fitted the SZ116 with a KMT90 4Speed 4WD into a CJ3B (1993CJ340DP4WD).

He had to fabricate an adapter plate to mount the gear box on the Engine.

Gaurev's Gallery @ Fotopic.Net

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:17   #32
BHPian
 
triggercool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 154
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hi saw gaurev prabhakar photo Gallery CJ340 is that jeep having fiber or metal hardtop. If fiber can you pls let me have the address of it. I want to fix it on willys.
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:32   #33
BHPian
 
triggercool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 154
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

A friend of mine has fitted the SZ116 with a KMT90 4Speed 4WD into a CJ3B (1993CJ340DP4WD).


Can you pls provide some more information regarding KMT90 gearbox. Which year mahindra jeep will ill be able to find it. thanks
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 00:24   #34
BHPian
 
sabret00the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 686
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

@ ex670c : Your 1996 M&M MM540XD is more or less wat I had in my mind...I found that you use those MRF Sandgrip 31" "tall" tires on your vehicle...kindly tell us if that was an OEM or an aftermarket fitment.In case it was aftermarket then how much did the set of 5 cost you?How much did the winch cost you and tell us more as to how and where did you buy the winch from?I have asked this question before but let me as ask again...is it possible to increase the height of the suspension by 4"-6" apart from adding those tall 31" tires? 73-75bhp should feed my hunger for power but just in case did any of these vehicles come with "power steering" or can such a system be fitted to them?
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:38   #35
BHPian
 
greatDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 546
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
egansta , greatdrive - any idea at what price your friends picked up these vehicles ? ( new or used ? )
He bought a new one for around 6.5lac( Approx.. Not sure the exact price)
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:44   #36
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,165
Thanked: 144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
He bought a new one for around 6.5lac( Approx.. Not sure the exact price)
That sounds like the showroom price for a new MM550 truck.
Did he buy it new or second-hand?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:26   #37
BHPian
 
sabret00the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 686
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Ram Sir are MM550/540s still available brand new?I mean are they manufactured any more?
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 10:23   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,456
Thanked: 1,798 Times
Default

The Civilian MM540 stopped as of 2006.
The Military MM550XD are still being manufactured.
The MM550XD's use Sand & Highway patterns made by MRF Sandgrip, Apollo Bullet, Vikrant Sand & Highway in 7.50x16 as OEM they Cost Rs4500 each.

12000Lbs Electric Winch, I had directly imported them.

The Sand Grip increases the GC by 1.5", you can gain another 3" max by recambering the leaf spring.

This will make the JEEP extremely unstable and unnerving to drive as the body roll will be very pronounced.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 23:45   #39
BHPian
 
sabret00the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 686
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The Military MM550XD are still being manufactured.
The MM550XD's use Sand & Highway patterns made by MRF Sandgrip, Apollo Bullet, Vikrant Sand & Highway in 7.50x16 as OEM they Cost Rs4500 each.
Can I buy a Military MM550XD or say if I have a friend who's in the army can he somehow buy one?How much does one cost anyway?
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 00:47   #40
BHPian
 
egangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: thane
Posts: 365
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
He bought a new one for around 6.5lac( Approx.. Not sure the exact price)
Its 7 lakhs + in Mumbai as far as i know,thats what my friend paid for his Legend.
egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 14:38   #41
BHPian
 
triggercool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 154
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

KMT90 4Speed 4WD gear box ............. Pls anyone can give me details of said gearbox.
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 17:30   #42
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,165
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Mahindra gear ratios

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
KMT90 4Speed 4WD gear box ............. Pls anyone can give me details of said gearbox.
The gearbox has nothing to do with 4WD or 2WD.
That's the job of the transfer case.

The Kia KMT90 4-speed gearbox
had the following gear ratios (from lowest ratio to highest ratio).
Reverse=5.315:1
1st=3.986:1
2nd=2.368:1
3rd=1.473:1
4th=1:1

The Spicer-18 transfer case coupled this gearbox to the rear propeller shaft via the transmission drum brake and also to the front propeller shaft when front-axle-drive was engaged.

However the Spicer-18 transfer case also had a selectable low-ratio.
When selected, all four forward ratios and reverse ratio were multiplied by 2.46.

So the gear ratios would become:
Reverse=13.075:1
1st=9.806:1
2nd=5.825:1
3rd=3.624:1
4th=2.460:1

That means, in reverse gear with the transfer case in low-ratio, the Jeep could uproot a tree-stump.

Dana 44 differentials could be bought from Mahindra & Mahindra with three possible ratios.

4.27:1 This was usually used on the Hurricane petrol engined vehicles.
4.88:1 This was available on the 4x4 MM540s
5.38:1 This was available on the Commanders and FC/FJ series pickup trucks.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 01:25   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
IronWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Benga-loo-ru
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 36 Times
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The Early Model Scorpio (2002) Had the BA10 gearbox.
But the gearbox couldnot handle the Torque generated by SZ116 Engine, so M&M developed the NGT530.

A friend of mine has fitted the SZ116 with a KMT90 4Speed 4WD into a CJ3B (1993CJ340DP4WD).

He had to fabricate an adapter plate to mount the gear box on the Engine.

Gaurev's Gallery @ Fotopic.Net

Regards,

Arka
ARka,

This is simply super. Honestly. I have been thinking why no one plonked a Scorpio engine in a MM540 or the shorter CJ.

Arrrghh there are no unique ideas left to try out. I am sure the package is awesome to drive as much as its to look at.

Could you let us know (atleast PM me) how much he got the Engine for and how much for the total job including the Gearbox adapter, parts and labor.

PD
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 10:40   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,456
Thanked: 1,798 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

Dana 44 differentials could be bought from Mahindra & Mahindra with three possible ratios.

4.27:1 This was usually used on the Hurricane petrol engined vehicles.
4.88:1 This was available on the 4x4 MM540s
5.38:1 This was available on the Commanders and FC/FJ series pickup trucks.

Ram
The Following are the diff-Ratios and their application

4.27:1 - Diesel B275/MDI Engine/S4 Engined vehicles (FJ470DS4) & The CJ4A (F4-134) 1974 onwards.

4.88:1 - MM440 & MM540 (post 1987)

5.38:1 - Regular Petrol JEEPs/Commander Series with XDP4.9 and early MM540.

5.89:1 - FJ460DP with XDP4.9
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 18:01   #45
BHPian
 
triggercool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 154
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The gearbox has nothing to do with 4WD or 2WD.
That's the job of the transfer case.

The Kia KMT90 4-speed gearbox
had the following gear ratios (from lowest ratio to highest ratio).
Reverse=5.315:1
1st=3.986:1
2nd=2.368:1
3rd=1.473:1
4th=1:1

The Spicer-18 transfer case coupled this gearbox to the rear propeller shaft via the transmission drum brake and also to the front propeller shaft when front-axle-drive was engaged.

However the Spicer-18 transfer case also had a selectable low-ratio.
When selected, all four forward ratios and reverse ratio were multiplied by 2.46.

So the gear ratios would become:
Reverse=13.075:1
1st=9.806:1
2nd=5.825:1
3rd=3.624:1
4th=2.460:1

That means, in reverse gear with the transfer case in low-ratio, the Jeep could uproot a tree-stump.

Dana 44 differentials could be bought from Mahindra & Mahindra with three possible ratios.

4.27:1 This was usually used on the Hurricane petrol engined vehicles.
4.88:1 This was available on the 4x4 MM540s
5.38:1 This was available on the Commanders and FC/FJ series pickup trucks.

Ram


Thanks a lot for reply but again asking same problem...Is it possible to fit Scorpio Turbo engine with bolero 5 Speed 4x4 gearbox & transfer case to MM (540 or 550) series jeep. I love the looks of MM540
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My MM550 Army Spec Restoration Project papaboost 4x4 Vehicles 31 18th September 2013 22:01
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec jeepsan 4x4 Vehicles 38 22nd March 2013 16:09
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE hgnishanth 4x4 Vehicles 251 16th October 2012 15:26
Difference in Chassis Design of Army V/s Regular 4WD Mahindra MM550 offroad_maniac 4x4 Technical 28 13th July 2011 14:34
My MM550 XD Army Spec Ricky_3007 4x4 Vehicles 304 6th October 2010 17:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks