Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 22nd November 2007, 12:18   #31
Team-BHP Support

Hi Nano-Tech Scientist,

Just like me, I don't think you will have the patience to deal with Tata niggles, you are too used trouble free cars. Therefore, Innova with 7 seats in is the best for you and Nattu. In fact, you can fold all the middle and rear seats and give Nattu ample space to roam around all the time.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:33   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Therefore, Innova with 7 seats in is the best for you and Nattu.
I second that. Innova = Highly recommended!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
So I thought I should get a Royal Enfield Bullet with a side car for Nattu (with helmet, goggles and a red bandana). What do you all think? Btw, I have never driven a motor bike

Cheers

Nattusbs
How safe would that be?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Very very safe unless Mr. Nattu spies a prospective Mrs. Nattu and decides to leap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
How safe would that be?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:54   #35
BHPian

One of the grouses I had against the profs while at kgp were the really bad quality cycles they used to get around in. I think it is understandable in a way. In kgp, you are lucky if your cycle does not get lost each year.

I think Innova would make the kgp roads look good. But, you definitely need a bike to get around the local shopping scene (Golby/techmarket, etc).

I'm planning on visiting kgp this year (around 10 years after having left the place, you do feel nostalgic I guess).. Might just bump into you..
kgc_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 21:29   #36
BHPian

Hi all

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions.

I have a bicycle here in the US & will be taking that back - I am not overweight at all - actually rather trim as Samurai-san can attest from our last meet up in B'lore.

Innova would be nice, but, I feel since I will be single with Nattu, it may be too much of a family car/van. I heard that Toyota may be re-introducing an SUV, but, they are concerned about taxi companies once again spoiling their image. Safari might be "debugged" by the time I look for one, I am sure Team-BHP will carry the latest info

How's the Grand Vitara Samurai-san? What about the Bolero? I will TD a few. Re: Bullet with side car - that would be great. If I do get it I will definitely post some pics. I will need to get some seat restraints for Nattu in the sidecar from here before I leave.

Yes, I do plan on getting down to Digha and Puri/Konarak (I was brought up in Bhubaneswar) and taking Nattu on these trips will be fun.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Nattusbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:40   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
How's the Grand Vitara Samurai-san? What about the Bolero? I will TD a few. Re: Bullet with side car - that would be great.
I know it is well within your budget, but GV is not the right one for you. You don't need an overpriced off-roader with bad FE, I didn't have much choice based on my needs. You basically need a highly reliable non-sedan car comfortable for Nattu. You could go for Tucson, but being an ultra low selling model, you may not get good support service. The endy is again big. The CR-V is again an overpriced car with bad FE.

After 25+ years in north american continent, you might find Bolero, Scorpio, Safari, etc., too unrefined for your taste. Look it up if you want.

Aaaah! I know you don't want to buy a minivan, being a free man and all. But Innova is the best deal out there in India for your needs. If you overlook that, then you will be spending twice or more looking at GV, Endy, CR-V, Tucson, Pajero, etc.
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:43   #38
Team-BHP Support

Since you think that Innova might be too big, will the Fusion be a good choice ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 02:33   #39
BHPian

Samurai

Actually, I am used to driving stick shift and would like the off-road capabilities say with the Safari, Bolero - it looks like Diesel is the preferred type of fuel.

I am not convinced that Innova is my style being single with Nattu - if I had wife and 2.3 kids then yes

Tavera and Fusion are both US based from Chevy and Ford - No, no for me. If someone can get me a used Land Rover or Jeep in excellent condition, that would be perfect ! I have a close friend from the Indian Army who says, I should go for Safari or Bolero and not bother with used Jeeps.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Nattusbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 06:19   #40
Team-BHP Support

In that case Grand Vitara becomes a contender. Check out my reviews then:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ng-result.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-team-bhp.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nd-vitara.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ip-agumbe.html (The running-in trip to Agumbe)
Old 23rd November 2007, 07:07   #41
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new assignment at IIT Kharagpur.

Your wheels will be your image statement with your students and your peers. The IIT profs I know, all nurture their image with their world with zeal and avoid ostentatious expenditure.
My good friend has the new Scorpio Eagle. (But that's more to do with his closeness with the world of Mahindra R&D).
BTW, what are your acad areas of interest?

If you won't be driving around too much, a station wagon, esp. one just big enough for the dear Alsatian (...what we call German Shepherds in this country) would suit the purpose.

You may also want to think about whether you really must have a new vehicle off the showroom or be better off with a mint used Bolero. Would always be other things to splurge on.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:37   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a suggestion:

a. Move to IITD/B/M and keep whichever car you want
b. Horrible Jokes apart, I would request you to first land up there, check out the status of different service centers in the area - because they will ultimately maintain your vehicle. So choose the vehicle that has best support - because a vehicle is a medium, not the end. You'd want peace of mind, would you not?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:15   #43
Team-BHP Support

Threads merged since this is the second thread on the same query.
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:26   #44
Team-BHP Support

Hi Professor, looks like you are hung up on a good looking SuV kinda vehicle. As samu says, go for the GV, or buy a safari if you enjoy the crudeness.
One thing with the safari though, you will make a lot of friends on team-bhp
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:21   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After 25+ years in north american continent, you might find Bolero, Scorpio, Safari, etc., too unrefined for your taste. Look it up if you want.

Aaaah! I know you don't want to buy a minivan, being a free man and all. But Innova is the best deal out there in India for your needs..
What about the Optra. it is not a minivan/suv, has leg room, and is resoanably priced. A.S.S though might be an issue.

Tata and Mahindra have a long way to go before their cars become niggle-free

Last edited by navin : 23rd November 2007 at 13:23.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote