Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 12:15   #16
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

I think wait till the launch of 2.2.

See what is in the store in it. Infact wait for 15 to 20 days after 2.2 launch and talk to people who buy it. If the initial feedback is good, go for it.

If it is not good, I am sure these guys will still have the 3L stock and will offer you much more discount in order to clear the stock..

What say.........
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 12:27   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Bang on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
What say.........
Bang On! You can't go wrong this way.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 12:33   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

No not impossible because it will all depend on pricing(more) and performance of the 2.2l. I dont even consider it as a new launch, it should be called as a variant with a different engine.

Now if you are happy with the testdrive and performance of the new engine and its within your budget, buy it.

But if not and still want to own a safari, buy 3.0l.

What if TATA raises the ex-showroom prices by mere 1 lakhs for each variant with 2.2L engine, the 4x2 on-road price (bangalore) will touch between 10L to 13L apprx depending on the variant.

At these prices it will no longer remain lucrative enough for many to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
However, don't you think it will be kind of impossible to buy 3.0 when you know a more powerful engiene is just round the corner. I am starting to feel that way already
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 12:37   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

We dont know it yet, probably they will keep the 3.0l engine for a LX variant. If yes, the list pricing wont change much and they might not push towards it sale (minimum discount) since it will eat into the new 2.2l sales figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
If it is not good, I am sure these guys will still have the 3L stock and will offer you much more discount in order to clear the stock..

What say.........
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 15:26   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

So whats you final decision adc, do post back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Well as it seems the launch of Safari 2.2 is very very close, the dealer here in Kolkata is offering Safari LX, EX [the 4wd version] at its ex-factory price - 7,30,000 for the LX 4x2 and 9,20,000 for the EX 4x4. Plus there are free accessories till September 15

The 2.2 base version on road price will come out at least around 8.4 to 8.5 Lakh - however just my guess.

Now knowing fully well that I will be buying a product that is being phased out, will it be advisable to still buy at these prices? Also condering all the other improvements of 2.2 over 3, do I compensate with the price that is being offered to me now.

Thanks in advance of suggestions/replies.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 16:03   #21
BHPian
 
deepaktpatil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KA 05, MH 10
Posts: 285
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
We dont know it yet, probably they will keep the 3.0l engine for a LX variant. If yes, the list pricing wont change much and they might not push towards it sale (minimum discount) since it will eat into the new 2.2l sales figures.
Not sure if Tata motors will keep the old version. It all depends on their current production capacity and supply chain is stretched. If its too much of a burden they would stop selling it. I feel they will stop selling the old model, unless their marketing guys really insist on having this model albeit at lower price range. So my guess is that you get a new Safari after sometime or get the older version at lower price (may be reduced features too).
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 17:27   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

They are quite capable of doing it, they have already done it when they launched the current 3.0L DICOR and kept the 2.0L TCIC too, made to order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Not sure if Tata motors will keep the old version. It all depends on their current production capacity and supply chain is stretched. If its too much of a burden they would stop selling it. I feel they will stop selling the old model, unless their marketing guys really insist on having this model albeit at lower price range. So my guess is that you get a new Safari after sometime or get the older version at lower price (may be reduced features too).
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 17:29   #23
adc
Senior - BHPian
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,346
Thanked: 2,100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
So whats you final decision adc, do post back.
Thanks much to all for the posts. The clarification I got was that the LX 4x2 is being offered at 7.6 L onroad and not at 7.3 L that I thought. The free accessories are the minimal ones. Though the dealer said that they have the month of September and will see by the end of this month if they can give it at 7.3 L once I told that I will not pay a rupee more than 7.3 L for a product that is being phased out - and looks like they will eventually agree at 7.3-7.4 L.

Now if they agree at 7.3 L to max 7.4L by end of September, this is a great buy.

The only reason for buying a Safari is for travelling that I used to do on a Bullet, now that I have a kid I have to go out by car and the 2 wheeler travel days are more or less over. The M800 that I have is perfect for city, quite inadequate for highway travel, also it is used by parents also, and thus the Dicor will be for highway travel.

The current version 3.0 definitely will be cheaper than the 2.2 version at least by 1 to 1.5 lakh. So the money I save on buying 3.0 will be well spent on the fuel and travel. I don't mind a 2.2 Safari overtaking me on the highway as top speeds above 120-130 are of little significance.

As recent safari owners have vouched for the 3.0 being more reliable than ever, it will serve as a great vehicle considering also the price cut. If the price cut has not been there then definitely 2.2 was the option.

But as rajismine says I will wait for the end of September and see how the whole scenario plays out. Being an extreme Safari admirer, this is the most gut wrenching situation to be in, to buy or not to buy.

By the way, some interesting words from the sales manger [and he is in charge of Safari sales only so may be true]: Both the Safari 2.2 and the Sumo are being released almost together, may a gap of a week or two in between them and in October, date he did not say but October was definite. The Safari will only be 2.2 and no 3.0 in LX or any version and the Sumo having the 3.0 engine of Safari. This I post not to start another thread on the possible release date of 2.2 but just as a information that I got which I thought should be shared. So any possible 2.2 release date thread must be discussed elsewhere, which are incidentally closed, and not here.

Again thanks a lot to all for the posts, do keep the suggestions pouring in but this will remain till 2.2 comes as theMag in his post says "This is a classic Catch22."
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 17:36   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
This is a classic Catch22.
You mean a classic Catch 2.2?

Back to the topic - you have nothing to lose by waiting for a while before buying a 3.0 because there will be large discounts as they clear stock. Therefore it pays to wait.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 18:02   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 154
Thanked: Once
Default

Hey adc. October is not too long away. If you can wait till end Sept., I think it will be a better idea to wait for the "so called" launch in Oct.

2.2 will not just be about speed but more refinement and better drive in city also.

Wait or not to wait is the question???

I am waiting till Oct. & then going for what ever is available - 3 ltr or 2.2 ltr. The discount will even out once the 2.2 ltr is launched, in terms of old model value.

My friend has recently bought a Safari Ex & is quite happy, although he knows that the 2.2 is going to be launched now. I guess people should be happy with what they have or what they can get.

All the best.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 19:02   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Well said steeroid, its a catch 2.2 situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You mean a classic Catch 2.2?
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 19:06   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Well some people are waiting from Dec 2006, so if they can wait so long might as well wait till beginning 2008 (if not launched in Sep or Oct). Not very far away, i guess.

CR, Your friend made a decision and is happy with it, but having a cut-off point, whatever month it may be is a sensible plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Hey adc. October is not too long away. If you can wait till end Sept., I think it will be a better idea to wait for the "so called" launch in Oct.

Wait or not to wait is the question???

I am waiting till Oct. & then going for what ever is available - 3 ltr or 2.2 ltr. The discount will even out once the 2.2 ltr is launched, in terms of old model value.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 19:17   #28
BHPian
 
codemarauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 106
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Tata Safari Dicor advertisements in Times of India, Delhi these days say -

"50% off on insurance cost. Safari range starts 6.40L"

50% off on insurance is around 12-13k i believe.
codemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 22:15   #29
adc
Senior - BHPian
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,346
Thanked: 2,100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
CR, Your friend made a decision and is happy with it, but having a cut-off point, whatever month it may be is a sensible plan.
Yes having a month is what I followed in March when I thought of going to a place called a Daringbadi and Belghar, Orissa, a great undiscovered driving destination following NH 217 [this highway is by name only - just having width of a lane and very sparingly used by heavy vehicles or even outside vehicles] - buying a Dicor I postponed thinking it is going to be released in June-July. Eventually went through a tour operator, sitting grudgingly by the side of a tour operator driver in a maruti zen.

Now had planned of going to North Bengal - Dooars - Bhutan this October [have to go out by Oct 18 since the Durga Puja holidays are that time], but again this same dilemma comes up - thought that by this time will have the Dicor 2.2 to compare or even the new Sumo. Looks like again through a tour operator - missing out all the driving and just sitting by side of the tour operator driver.

And definitely well said steeroid "Catch 2.2" - this somehow fully summarizes the whole 3.0/2.2 situation that is being played out for more than a year now.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 11:20   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

I hope that they fulfill their AGM commitments and release it within Sep 07, so that you can enjoy your drives and durga pooja but there are many waiting in this forum, that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Now had planned of going to North Bengal - Dooars - Bhutan this October [have to go out by Oct 18 since the Durga Puja holidays are that time], but again this same dilemma comes up - thought that by this time will have the Dicor 2.2 to compare or even the new Sumo. Looks like again through a tour operator - missing out all the driving and just sitting by side of the tour operator driver.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari 3.0 Dicor: Burnt, Recovered and Reclaiming @ 1,62,000 Kms EDIT : Now SOLD! mercedised Long-Term Ownership Reviews 34 19th February 2015 06:46
My Bull - TATA SAFARI Dicor 2.2 VTT Lx - Booked, Bought and Now Reclaiming my life! bglsrini Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 324 27th November 2009 16:27
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4 X 2 or Safari Dicor EX 4 x 2 Digitalmafia SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 55 1st June 2009 17:31
Safari 3.0 dicor or 2.2 VTT dicor ? tabrez02 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 49 30th December 2008 12:56
a TATA dealer in the NCR or around for buying the safari dicor 3.0 doctorkats Indian Car Dealerships 45 22nd October 2007 01:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks