Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 9th October 2007, 19:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
What I have seen is even with less daily average commute people buy Deisel because Big Petrol vehicles have less resale value, less FE.

On highway Petrol Innova is silky smooth very comfortable. No noice at all like its Diesel brother.
people also buy the diesel because the petrol isnt available in 7 seater.(me)

and how many times am i going to tell you ravi, the diesel does not make noise at highway speeds till 115 or so. till then theres a hum and after that its audible but put on your music system and you cant hear a thing.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 20:24   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Errr.. Guys.. one of my near one wants to buy this 2.2 EX version.
His weekly run is 50kms..with some dashes to few places once a month.
I advised him against this it would be a rip off of Safari and making the beast sit idle ..instead suggested him Petrol Innova...

Would it be a good decision to go for Petrol Innova.
Budget is 9 LAC OTR Pune.

Any suggestions are welcome for making the right decision
The petrol Innova is a great machine to drive, considering its a van. Its engine makes you feel you're driving a sedan, much less a van.

Your suggestion is a good one. But resale value will be poor later on; spares availability-duration might become a bugbear as well.

While there is a lot of hype around the Dicor, and not taking anything away from its competence, it simply is not the vehicle to be driven around for 50 kms a week
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 20:57   #18
BHPian

Innova petrol is a safe bet.
A great car to drive and less maintenance cost

Safari is like a white elephant !!!!! high cost of maintenane , gearbox problems, concerns with fit and finish, low resale value
AUTO_CRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 23:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Heart Ruled Finally for a Spanking New 2.2 Silver Beast

Allright.. Its time to close this discussion I guess ^ ^
--
He has his heart and mind on New Silver Colored 2.2. Indeed a passionate person about Tata Safari

So the heart won this time over mind and I wish him a very happy dicor"ing.

Mods: You may close this thread
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:13   #20

Default Petrol Safari or Innova

Hi Folks, Need advise on buying a used car. I have shortlisted on the Petrol Safari or Petrol Innova. The innova is a lakh and a half more than the safari. From a mileage perspective i have heard that both of them are more or less the same. Both of them are the high end versions with BAS, Air bags, etc.

Also would liek to know what is the best prices for a 2005 model of both the varities.

Regards
Vinay
vinaynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:44   #21
BHPian

you should check out carwale.com

why petrol? whats the price of at which you are getting the offer for innova and safari. petrol safari is rare i think. i like safari but petrol?

i think if you are buying one of these. i would go for toyota for interior and comfort. not that safari isnt comfy. i think toyota petrol engine must be better than tata's petrol engine. they specialize in diesel engines.

go for the innova petrol if you dont care about looks. my friend drives petrol innova. and its great!!
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:50   #22
BANNED

If you're getting a well-maintained Safari petrol for a good price and your running is reasonably low, go for it. If it is a 4x4, even better.

I know very little about the Innova, except that it lacks underthigh support for me.

Last edited by hrag : 23rd December 2008 at 12:52.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

IMO Innova is a far superior option.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
If you're getting a well-maintained Safari petrol for a good price and your running is reasonably low, go for it. If it is a 4x4, even better.
+ 1 to above.

Also, petrol safari is a 'rare' vehicle and NOT many people will but it. So you can use this fact to your advantage in the used market. Believe me, the current owner will have a VERY VERY hard time disposing his petrol safari.

So negotiate very very hard, don't show emotional attachment with the vehicle and you will get a very very good price for the petrol safari.

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:59   #25
Team-BHP Support

Petrol engine...? Go for innova. Petrol safari's are very rare. This means less expertise at service stations since they won't be used to it.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Toyota's petrol powerplant is way ahead compared to Tata's. IMO, the interiors of Innova are better off than Safari. Go for Innova eyes closed.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:09   #27
BHPian

I have been thinking about getting a used safari as my third car which will be used occasionally. I travel to Himachal 3 times every year and will be using this safari to travel down to leh/ laddakh and other places which can do with a 4 wd vehicle with high ground clearance.

I started looking around for a few diesel safaris that have 4wd, airbags and ABS and the cheapest ones are around 5-6 lakh Rs. (for decently maintained cars). Then I stumbled upon a petrol safari which has 4wd, airbags and ABS (it belongs to a friend).

Here are the details

1. Done 36,000 KM
2. ABS/ Airbags
3. 4WD
4. Mechanically perfect

Now I know, that petrol safaris cost more to run and very difficult to dispose off as there are very few takers. But the sweet thing is that the petol safari is available for 3 lakh bucks ( I could bring it down by another 10-15,000 Rs.) so I'll be saving approx. 3L as compared to a similar specced diesel which will more than cover the cost of fuel over the next 5 years. Considering that I'll be using the safari on rare occassions, does it make sense to go in for a petrol version? Is there anything that I am missing?

Also, how good would be a petrol safari for off roading, incase I do decide to use it for that as compared to a diesel safari?
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaynx View Post
Hi Folks, Need advise on buying a used car. I have shortlisted on the Petrol Safari or Petrol Innova. The innova is a lakh and a half more than the safari. From a mileage perspective i have heard that both of them are more or less the same. Both of them are the high end versions with BAS, Air bags, etc.

Also would liek to know what is the best prices for a 2005 model of both the varities.

Regards
Vinay
If you are a person who abuse the vehicle and put it to extrems, then its just Safari. Innova is for leasuire drives and even a small dents or repairs will cost more than any TATA vehicles.

But on the other hand, TATA vehicles are made for taking abuses. You need any example, just check dicor4x4 in our forum
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:37   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Do consider two things:
a. A touring vehicle has to be servicable anywhere. I doubt most tata mechs have ever seen a petrol safari, forget repair
b. No offence, but mechanically perfect and used Tata safari doesn't quite fit in the same sentence.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:44   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
I travel to Himachal 3 times every year and will be using this safari to travel down to leh/ laddakh and other places which can do with a 4 wd vehicle with high ground clearance.

But the sweet thing is that the petol safari is available for 3 lakh bucks ( I could bring it down by another 10-15,000 Rs.). Is there anything that I am missing?

Also, how good would be a petrol safari for off roading, incase I do decide to use it for that as compared to a diesel safari?
1. Go for it. The only place it will hurt you is your wallet if your running increases. With respect to maintenance, you have to ensure the TASC fixes issues to your satisfaction, not theirs.

2. OTRs? Let's find out - I'd love to join you

3. PM member ram2004 if you have any doubts.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote