Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 21st April 2004, 11:06   #1
BHPian

Default Need urgent expertise comments on SUVs in india

Hi guys, how is everyone here..long long time since i have even visited this site, have been in a den all along, working, taking care of school and few other things...

crazy stuff..anyhow one of my relatives called me up and asked me which car to pick up as a gift

Ford Endeavour
Honda CRV
Hyundai Terrecan
Suzuki Grand Vitara

I need to give them an answer soon..she wanted to gift it to her hisband on his 50th, they have few cars..an old pajero which they want to sell..so if you could direct me that would be great..any experience driving, may be comments on looks/interiors etc..

no offroading would be done in it..so basically its for long drives, with may be more than 5 ppl at times..so i dont know..i was suggesting CRV..but I am not too familiar with the others...

I would be returning to post here very soon..when i am done with all the shity school projects and 2 jobs..man its getting harder..

Anyhow will check back sometime soon..

Thanks a ton for all your help...

_Crazi4Speed_

ps:- congratulations on soo many milestones..5000 posts, dippy crossed 1000 posts..200+ members..this place is on fire and i have to miss all the discussions anyhow, will be back very soon..
_Crazi4Speed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 11:24   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]so basically its for long drives
For that reason i wud suggest the CRV or Forester. both *are good off off-road performers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]with may be more than 5 ppl at times
Hmmm.........Now the CRV doesnt come with the last row of seats. So seating 5 wud be a problem and everyone will be uncomfortable. No last row for the Forester either. If you think u will still be able to squeeze 4 people in the back seat then u cud go for the CRV or Forester.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 11:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Wish I had a wife as generous as that !!!! Anyway my comments as follows:

Ford Endeavour
Crude - macho - too big for a city - good value - reat seats are a joke

Honda CRV

Refined - good for town use - limited off road - well made - painless to own

Hyundai Terrecan

One generration old Pajero - good engine - a bit pricey

Suzuki Grand Vitara

Not a bad vehicle - may like a drink - fast - not sure about rear seat space - resale value questionable

End of the day - go and see and decide
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 12:07   #4
BHPian

Ford Endeavour
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 12:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Keeping the preferences in mind, Go and pick up a Cr-V. Your uncle will be more than happy with a Honda. As Ajmat said, the Endeavour has hardly any space and is crude. The Vitara has awesome power delivery but horrible ride quality...and I wouldnt even recommend the Terracan to my worst foe!

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 12:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

If offroading isn't included in the package, i'd put my money on the CR-V. It's easy to maintain, fun to drive and very fuel efficient.

The Forester is a good SUV too but lacks power. The Vitara has all the power in the world but i'm not sure how easy it would be to drive inside the city, it surely ain't as easy as driving the Forester and CR-V. And then there's that problem with fuel efficiency, since the Vitara happens to be a V6.

So the CR-V seems to be the overall winner here.

This should help you a bit

0-100 kmph
Vitara - 10.81 secs
Forester - 13.32 secs
CR-V - 12.37 secs

Top Speed
Vitara - 183.6 kmph
Forester - 177 kmph
CR-V - 172.1 kmph

Braking - 80 - 0
Vitara - 29.11 m
Forester - 29.48 m
CR-V - 27.67 m

FE - City
Vitara - 5.8 kmpl
Forester - 7 kmpl
CR-V - 7.9 kmpl

Highway
Vitara - 11.2 kmpl
Forester - 14 kmpl
CR-V - 13.1 kmpl

NCAP - Safety Rating
Vitara - 3
Forester - 4
CR-V - 4

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 12:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yup, CRV sounds right. Its really comfortable even with 3 in the rear. Its an auto, so easy to drive, its a Honda, so good resale and no problems and hey, it also comes with its own picnic table...what more can you ask for
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 13:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey pal I would say choose between the Honda CR-V or the Endeavor. The Endeavor is a monster. Its great offroad but since its a Ford I'm not so sure bout their after sales service out here.Its decent for 15 odd lakhs and its a diesel.But its not really practical for city driving because of its size. On the other hand the Honda has everything going for it. An extremely refined petrol engine ( I dont need to say this do I?) bullet proof reliability, drives more like a car , has auto transmission but if you wait a while you'll get a manual variant. Add to that Hondas excellent after sales. I'd say go for the CRV you wont go wrong with it....

Cheers
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 13:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ April 21 2004,09:54)]For that reason i wud suggest the CRV or Forester. both *are good off off-road performers.
i think what you meant here was that both are pretty good ON-road performers right V12 ?
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 22:04   #10
BHPian

Both the CRV and Forester are good vehicles.
Get the CRV if you like slick, nimble handling and a very comfortable car-like drive.

The Forester provides all of these, in addition to an awesome AWD. Remember, a four-wheel drive is not all about off-roading. But you'll have to forego the extra ponies...
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 23:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

CR-V... its a perfect offroad vehicle.. but man the forester..its superb,... the boxer engine is nicely balanced

Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 23:45   #12
RJK
Senior - BHPian

even i'd advise the CR-V...no doubt i love the amzing presence of the Endeavor but it is sluggish & could be a pain to drive around in the city...honda on the other hand wouldn't be..nice engine plus an auto..just what the old people might want also u can rarely go wrong with a honda....

M3
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2004, 04:07   #13
BHPian

Awesome guys, thank you so much for your input...I am going to be recommending the CRV myself...also i had a question, would it take too much to put 3rd row seats in the crv, like in the LX470, you have seats that are foldable and fold to either side of the trunk? or something on those lines? any one heard of anything like this?

Will be talking to you guys soon...till then have fun, I will be checking on this back again in a day or so..

Thanks

ps:- if u have to see seats folding, there is this new minivan you gotta see, i am forgetting which one, but all the 2 rows behind fold down into the floor, leveling it to the normal level and when you are folding seats you have additional 4 compartments the size of seats under your floor to stash away things...awesome design..difficult to explain..i will see if there is a flash image of this..

Cheers..
_Crazi4Speed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2004, 04:15   #14
BANNED

hey man look u want power comfort then go for the terraccan.. looks decent too..

endeavor guess its ok...

forester is ok too..but since they own a pajero they r gonna think its a car !!!

take u r pick man... crv if u dont like e terracan...
take alook at this website too..some comparisons

http://terracan.hyundaimotorindia.co...?pagename=comp

let me know what u decide on...
vishnugnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2004, 16:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vishnugnair @ April 22 2004,02:45)]hey man look u want power comfort then go for the terraccan.. looks decent too..

endeavor guess its ok...

forester is ok too..but since they own a pajero they r gonna think its a car !!!

take u r pick man... crv if u dont like e terracan...
take alook at this website too..some comparisons

http://terracan.hyundaimotorindia.co...?pagename=comp

let me know what u decide on...
apart from this thread..

many people hate hyundais..and there are some on team-bhp too
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Is it worth it?? »