Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 5th May 2008, 18:01   #16
LLL
BHPian

Just heard from a mahindra sales guy that they are going to launch a new model SLE in 2 months as a replacement for DX. DX is no longer available.

SLE will have body colored cladding and voice assist system. Can anyone dblcheck and confirm this?

An option is to buy LX and add cladding. Seems mahindra cladding costs 18k.

also any clues on current discounts on scorpio in NCR?

Last edited by LLL : 5th May 2008 at 18:06.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 01:50   #17

Are the interiors in the Lx and Slx very different?
I was thinking of buying a Scorpio Lx and then getting wider tyres.. alloys.. n a good music system... but dont wanna do that if the interiors of the lx are too 'tardy'..
anyone??
nix' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 11:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

no the interiors in lx and slx are not wildly different
you will however lack a few things like several cupholders, map pockets etc in the rear seat plus the centre armrest etc, but not much else
all these things if found to be lacking in LX are easily remedied by fitting them after market

you could do a lot worse than buy an LX and spend the remainder (being the difference between LX and SLX) on jazzing up your LX - the heart is the same and you will find a considerable financial benefit in following this strategy, according to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix' View Post
Are the interiors in the Lx and Slx very different?
I was thinking of buying a Scorpio Lx and then getting wider tyres.. alloys.. n a good music system... but dont wanna do that if the interiors of the lx are too 'tardy'..
anyone??
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 19:18   #19

Thumbs down I had last talked about the same SLE and VLE

Mahindra has launched two new models...one of the 2.6 CRDE..SLE ,which is priced less than the SLX 8.24,and has probably replaced SLX ...then VLE is priced at 9.24 ,,..it is the 2.2 VLX minus all the frills, it has ABS , Airbags...i think these models are now available across most M&M showrooms...
_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 10:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Latest information as of this morning from my pal in the Mahindra Dealership in Bangalore.

The VLX still exists - 11.55 Lacs OTR BLR
The VLS has been launched at one rung lower than VLX - this VLS has the same 2.2 MHAWK engine but comes with ABS and DOESNT HAVE AIRBAGS, Tyretronics, Cruise Control, Steering controlled Music System etc - it is priced at 10.94 OTR BLR.

THE earlier SLX and DLX (2.6 Crde Engine) have been amalgamated into one single variant called SLE.

They still continue with the basic LX model also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saint View Post
Mahindra has launched two new models...one of the 2.6 CRDE..SLE ,which is priced less than the SLX 8.24,and has probably replaced SLX ...then VLE is priced at 9.24 ,,..it is the 2.2 VLX minus all the frills, it has ABS , Airbags...i think these models are now available across most M&M showrooms...
Old 20th May 2008, 18:39   #21
BHPian

I hope the thread starter finally bought something for him.
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

you bet
after all that effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
I hope the thread starter finally bought something for him.
Old 10th June 2008, 21:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

please go only for the CRDe engine as its worth it. a DX CRDe variant would be better as a second hand buy i think.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 18:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Scorpio VLS & SLE

I have been waiting for a lower end 2.2 scorpio, however the official Mahindra Scorpio website does not make any mention of these models.

Any one having more details on the specs & Navi Mumbai pricing for these models.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 21:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I have been waiting for a lower end 2.2 scorpio, however the official Mahindra Scorpio website does not make any mention of these models.

Any one having more details on the specs & Navi Mumbai pricing for these models.
when i bought my VLX 2 weeks back, the sales guy told me that the VLS will take about 2 months to hit the showrooms...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 19:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default 60K discount on Scorpio 2.6 CRDe

Today TOI says Scorpio has a discount of 60K in bangalore. The LX model is 7.2 ex-showroom price. Good price to go for. Any reasons? Are they trying to get all these 2.6 sold?

The discount is till 1st August.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 11:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default logical market strategy for Mahindra - my reading

Hi

Remember the Scorpio used to cost 7.34 (LX) ex showroom till March08.
Now it seems they are slowly trying to move out the 2.6 LX Crde. Atleast they are trying to move stocks out faster by offering discounts and 100% Insurance etc etc.

As you know theyve already stopped the DX and SLX versions of Scorp 2.6 Crde completely.

Thus in the Scorp 2.6 Crde they currently have only the SLE Version and LX version at the moment.

They also have the slightly lower 2.2 MHAWK VLS and the Top End VLX.

It is clear that they are preparing the way forward to slowly phase out the 2.6 Crde engine and promote the 2.2 Mhawk as well as make space for their new Ingenio and the TOP END Bolero Crde 2.5 100BHP.

Thus, my own reading of their likely future market strategy is:

1.Bolero SLE - about 6.4 on Road - Targeting the base version Urban SUV/ MUV market
2.Bolero SLX - about 6.7 on Road - Targeting the slightly upper end Urban SUV/ MUV buyer.
3.Bolero SLX 4WD - about 7.4 on Road - for 4WD users
4.Bolero Di/ Bolero Plus/ BOlero XL / Camper etc for Rural Markets.

5. Then the NEW (YET TO BE LAUNCHED) Bolero Crde with 2.5 engine 100 BHP (probably initially available only in 2WD) - which could be as expensive as 7.75 to 8 lacs on road. -

This indicates that it is increasingly clear that they will phase out the Base LX 2.6 Crde Scorpio completely or else they will end up clashing.

6. YET TO BE LAUNCHED INGENIO - maybe priced around 8 lacs to 9 lacs on Road depending on the variant - direct competition with INNOVA and TAVERA for the People Mover Markets.

With this market strategy in mind, it is only a matter of time before they remove the 2.6 Crde Scorpio from the market completely and continue with only the 2.2 MHAWK, which is anyway a better, newer engine. They will probably offer it in one or two more variants other than the current VLX and VLS. (This is something like what Tata is doing with the 3 litre Dicor Safari which is not as readily available or preferred by consumers any more and just exists as a part of the range.)

Then their new Scorpio Lineup could probably become like this:
1. Scorpio MHAWK VLE - base model with very few frills
2. Scorpio MHAWK VLS - with ABS (as exists now)
3. Scorpio MHAWK VLX - with all the bells and whistles
4. Scorpio MHAWK VLX 4WD - with 4WD (available only on order and 100% advance).
5. Scorpio Getaway - 2WD with 2.6 crde
6. Scorpio Getaway - 4WD with 2.6 crde

They may even migrate the existing 2.2 Crde Engine to the Getaway, offering two more variants of that vehicle with this engine for buyers who are slightly more high end/ not so budget driven and need a double cab utility vehicle.

Apart from all these assumptions, it is a fact that Road Tax is going up by 2% FROM 1st Aug and this is a carrot they are probably dangling for more customers to buy new vehicles asap!

This could also partially be driven by the need to sell more, given the current inflation rates which are causing stockpiling of vehicles across segments.

To conclude, YES, the 2.6 Lx Crde at 7.2 ex showroom is a very good deal to go for. And I would certainly recommend you take a look!
Just remember
7.2 ex showroom
12.5% VAT 90000
Road Tax - 65000 (approx)
Insurance - 25000 (approx) ( 100% Waiver right now I think)
Regn 4000 (approx)
Cost on ROAD = 8.79 Lacs approx with Insurance waiver.
They have a standard accessories package including music system and blah blah costing about 25 grand - dont bother going for that - just get all that accessorization done on your own as an after market job - much less expensive that way!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Today TOI says Scorpio has a discount of 60K in bangalore. The LX model is 7.2 ex-showroom price. Good price to go for. Any reasons? Are they trying to get all these 2.6 sold?

The discount is till 1st August.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th July 2008 at 12:07.
Old 25th July 2008, 15:19   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great analysis, Shankar. It surely makes sense to stick to one engine. Mahindra has only got to work on increasing the power output; I know there's another 20 horses in that engine
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO,

the current 2.6 Scorp develops about 115 BHP.

the new MHAWK gives about 120 BHP. I do agree that this engine is atleast capable of 140BHP like the 2.2 Dicor Engine of the Safari. (after all the engine has been engineered by the same guys AVL of Austria.) But it has been de-tuned because in its current avatar it may not be able to handle that extra BHP in terms of braking and suspension etc!

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great analysis, Shankar. It surely makes sense to stick to one engine. Mahindra has only got to work on increasing the power output; I know there's another 20 horses in that engine
Old 28th July 2008, 10:48   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But it has been de-tuned because in its current avatar it may not be able to handle that extra BHP in terms of braking and suspension etc!
More than the braking & suspension, its the existing drivetrain that Mahindra may be worried about. They'd need to upgrade it to handle the extra horses.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote