Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 13th December 2007, 23:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I do not agree with fanboyism, which is where the Safari gang is headed at the moment - but I will have to contest that statement. Take a cold look at what the Endeavour offers and you will realize that there isnt much beyond the macho looks. There is a lot to compare.
fully agreed upon this.

Endeavor seating is not good, rear ones are still bad. it feels cramped as compared to its size.
and performance is similar to that of Safari.
Seating is higher in safari and overall view is better.

on other issues i can not comment as i've only test driven new endy.
and Safari is way cheaper to maintain and i haven't seen or heard stories of TASS looting its customers.

i would suggest, if your head and heart allows you, buy VX 4x4 and spend rest of amount on nice set of alloys and ICE.
overdose14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 01:12   #17
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I havent driven Safari yet but have seen it from inside couple of times at showrooms. The fit and finish of safari, its body quality etc,. keeps me away from it. Have driven scropio too and Endeavour is in a different league than scorpio. I did a short testdrive today and was impressed with the Endy. Initial pickup is not exciting tough but it does well after that. The engine is very smooth, very minimal engine noise and vibration. Very commanding seating position and a confident drive. Typical Ford.
joshdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 02:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Road presence

I keep seeing this term "road presence" on this site. It seems to me that it usually, not always, means ego-aggrandisement, status, puffed up self-importance. So then, is "road presence" really a healthy reason to purchase one vehicle over another? I can somewhat see it if you are a salesman or you need a vehicle to impress a customer in some way. I might even buy it to impress people, to make them treat me with more respect. This can be an important public relations tool. But I hope I would not think that I myself was somehow better or more valuable just because I owned a vehicle with "road presence". If I thought this way then "road presence" is just ego, the mark of a sick man.

Thus here did the preaching stop.......
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 07:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
But I hope I would not think that I myself was somehow better or more valuable just because I owned a vehicle with "road presence".

You can always rent some road presence when required
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 08:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
IMHO, there is no challenger for this vehicle at the price that it comes in & it is a diesel,
John, I would disagree with you on this; at the earlier price point, maybe! At the current price point, I would pay a little more & get the Pajero - EVEN THOUGH THE PAJERO IS NOT A COMMON RAIL.

The horrible middle row ride quality on the Endy is a different topic altogether.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 10:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_devil View Post
I would recommend the grand vitara for u.
While i am not taking away anything from the GV, including its off-road abilities, the GV comes to India as a CBU, and based on that alone i would conclude that the spares dont come cheap. Even the mudguards cost a bomb.

As for the Endy, since i dont know much regarding it, i wouldnt comment.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 10:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I understand, but the bottom line is there is no comparison between the endeaveour & the other cars mentioned here, so if a person can afford to buy the endeveour, I am sure he can maintain it too, i hope you understand that.
I was never referring to the affordability. I believe however good endeavour looks if the passengers can't sit comfortably, what's the point in buying the vehicle unless ofcourse, there would be rare usage of middle row. In that case it doesn't matter.

As far as other diesel vehicles are concerned, Pajero is smack in Endevour's territory. The difference in price is only a couple of lakhs which in that segment is not significant.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 10:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
As far as other diesel vehicles are concerned, Pajero is smack in Endevour's territory. The difference in price is only a couple of lakhs which in that segment is not significant.
Its less than a couple of lacs now - if you take the bare-shell Endy & add on the essential "kits", its not too far from the Pajero. And though I haven't driven one (have driven the Endy), I think its more nimble in traffic than the Endy (from what I've seen on the road so far)
Old 14th December 2007, 10:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Its less than a couple of lacs now - if you take the bare-shell Endy & add on the essential "kits", its not too far from the Pajero. And though I haven't driven one (have driven the Endy), I think its more nimble in traffic than the Endy (from what I've seen on the road so far)
I have done an extensive test drives of both and found the new endy to be reasonably nimble in traffic. If not for the very harsh ride, I would have bought that months back.
Old 14th December 2007, 15:29   #25
BHPian

Suman,

Pajero is a great offroader and fun to drive SUV. I have driven it extensively. Its mileage is ~6 kmpl in city and hence will be costly for me to use regularly. I have seen that the seating comfort for both Endy and Pajero are same. Both have low lying middle row seats and the 3rd row can seat only kids.
Old 14th December 2007, 16:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
Suman,

Pajero is a great offroader and fun to drive SUV. I have driven it extensively. Its mileage is ~6 kmpl in city and hence will be costly for me to use regularly. I have seen that the seating comfort for both Endy and Pajero are same. Both have low lying middle row seats and the 3rd row can seat only kids.
Seating comfort in stationary vehicle may be similar but when they are moving, Pajero is in a different world. The ride is almost as good as that of a Safari.

Anyway, since you have driven both and are making a conscious decision, that is great.
Old 14th December 2007, 16:40   #27
BHPian

hondadude, I agree with you on Pajero. Pajero's comfort is far better compared to Endy. Its accelaration, studyness , peppy looks and the solid feel of drive is wonderful. If not for its poor mileage and expensive spares I would have gone for it...but am still thinking
Old 14th December 2007, 17:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
Suman,

Well, more power to your elbow then, since its a conscious decision you are making after having driven both! The mileage of the old Endy was almost as pathetic, I'm hoping the new one is better. I do agree with Hondadude about the seating.

Good luck & have fun!
Old 14th December 2007, 18:11   #29
BHPian

Suman, I spoke to 2 different ford sales person about mileage. one said ~10 and the other said 10-12 in city with AC on.I did a 2nd test drive for about 10 kms with a mix of bad roads and highway. The acceleration is very good than I expected. The suspension was not promising on small pot holes. I was able to feel the jerk.Not sure whether its specific to the test vehicle.
Old 18th December 2007, 18:36   #30
BHPian

Hi: Can anyone please post mileage details of Endy?