Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 13th December 2007, 14:18   #1
BHPian

Default Ford Endeavour

Hi All,

Am planning to buy an SUV and am inclined on Ford endeavour. I would like to get info on the kind of discounts I can get for Endy and also on the accessories to opt for. Ford talks about a "Hurricane Kit" which is a set of accessories and it costs 1 lakh. Other options looked at are Tucson and CRV. CRV is expensive to drive as its a petrol and gives very low mileage. Tucson though good car is not moving well now and is a CBU (expensive to maintain in long run). My daily office commute is ~50 kms and I travel 2.5-3k kms per month.
joshdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 16:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope this thread will be of help to you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-comparo.html (Hyundai Tucson Vs Ford Endeavour Vs Tata Safari 2.2 a performance comparo)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 16:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Also see this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...endeavour.html (Test Drive : New Ford Endeavour)
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 16:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Joshdrive, we have recently booked an Endeavour 4x4 in Delhi for our company MD & trust me - it SUCKS BIG TIME since they offer NO DISCOUNTS . As it is, compared to the Safari, it comes with NOTHING and everything is an add-on (whether you talk about the Hurricane kit or whatever); the buggers don't even want to give floor mats free! Maybe it will be better in your neck of the woods but I wouldn't bet on it.

The pricing is a real rip-off considering that you practically get a bare shell (yeah, OK, so I'm exaggerating a bit but that's what it feels when you compare to their other offerings). So, I would say, if you are set on it, just take what you get &
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 18:32   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

joshdrive, please test-drive once before putting your money down. The Endeavours harsh ride quality is not everyones cup of tea.

And you have to travel 3,000 kms a month!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 19:23   #6
BHPian

Endeavour isn't really value for money. And also your running is going to be about 3k km per month so maintenance will become an issue since the service and spares of ford is expensive.

I would recommend the grand vitara for u. Search for Samurai's thread on it.
You could also look at safari if u don't mind Tata.
speed_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 19:49   #7
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It isnt much value for money when you look at the safari or the new scorpio. and if you can go higher, the Tucson, Its fine offroad, its actually fun cos of of the RWD, you can really make the tail slide around if you're enthusiastic with the accelerator.
The GC is useful and the 4WD mode is not bad(didnt test it that much-terrain was not tough enough)
Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want road presence, look no further, actually this is the only area where it is a clear winner over all the other SUVs in india. and for some people, its the most important reason to get an SUV

if its going to be used on the highways and rough roads its ok, but there are better options

If its mainly offroad fun you're interested in, get the gypsy or an MM540
for offroad fun at the higher end, you wont get anything better than the pajero in india.

Bottomline? testdrive it thru a cycle involving highway,twisties, city and offroad.

I liked it offroad
it was ok on straight highways(could be faster)
it was bad in city traffic(but people did make way for me)
It was completely, utterly, hopeless in the twisties
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 19:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Default I do not Endeavor to own a Ford in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_devil View Post
Endeavour isn't really value for money. And also your running is going to be about 3k km per month so maintenance will become an issue since the service and spares of ford is expensive....................
You could also look at safari if u don't mind Tata.
I have driven an owned several Ford trucks. Speed_devil says it all in miniture. It is not value for the money in India. Scorpio or Safari will fill your needs very well. The gap in quality between these 2 Indians against the Ford is not nearly as great as the gap in price between these two Indians against the Ford.

There are good mechanics around to service Scorpio and Safari so Tata and Mahindra poor dealer service are largely offset.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 21:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Reading all the above posts, i feel that most have not understood his requirement. When he is willing to spend money just buying the endeavour, why would he be wary of expensive spares ? It is a great looker, please do not even compare it with the safari & scorpio, they do serve their own needs. IMHO, there is no challenger for this vehicle at the price that it comes in & it is a diesel, GV is petrol, so think. I think it makes good sense if you can afford it.
cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 21:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Reading all the above posts, i feel that most have not understood his requirement. When he is willing to spend money just buying the endeavour, why would he be wary of expensive spares ? It is a great looker, please do not even compare it with the safari & scorpio, they do serve their own needs. IMHO, there is no challenger for this vehicle at the price that it comes in & it is a diesel, GV is petrol, so think. I think it makes good sense if you can afford it.
cheers
We are just trying to make him aware of the challenges of Endeavour, especially the ride quality. Obviously, it is a great looker and the fact that it is selling more than 200 every month is a testament to that.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 21:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
We are just trying to make him aware of the challenges of Endeavour, especially the ride quality. Obviously, it is a great looker and the fact that it is selling more than 200 every month is a testament to that.
I understand, but the bottom line is there is no comparison between the endeaveour & the other cars mentioned here, so if a person can afford to buy the endeveour, I am sure he can maintain it too, i hope you understand that.
Old 13th December 2007, 22:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but the bottom line is there is no comparison between the endeaveour & the other cars mentioned here
I do not agree with fanboyism, which is where the Safari gang is headed at the moment - but I will have to contest that statement. Take a cold look at what the Endeavour offers and you will realize that there isnt much beyond the macho looks. There is a lot to compare.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 22:27   #13
BHPian

Hi Joshdrive,
If you drive yourself, Ford Endeavour is a good buy. It has got everything people want in an suv, except maybe the ride at the back. Most of all it has got amazing road presence and everyone will make for you. It sells really well in Punjab.
If you are driven and want back seat comfort look elsewhere, maybe Safari which is the best in that. Next would be the Pajero.
Cheers
wolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 22:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I do not agree with fanboyism, which is where the Safari gang is headed at the moment - but I will have to contest that statement. Take a cold look at what the Endeavour offers and you will realize that there isnt much beyond the macho looks. There is a lot to compare.

I know i do not own any of the vehicles mentioned though i have driven all three, but there is a lot more to the endeavour than the scorpio or the safari. The ford is miles ahead of the tata & the mahindra in the looks as well as road presence etc departments. And the man can afford to pay for it, so ??
Old 13th December 2007, 22:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the man can afford to pay for it, so ??
That is a different issue, but it doesnt necessarily

Quote:
but there is a lot more to the endeavour than the scorpio or the safari.
make this true.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th December 2007 at 22:55.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote