Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 8th January 2008, 13:30   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
I am also contemplating between these two and finding it difficult to decide between the two, I'll be buying either of the two this week.

My requirements are as follows and in that order.
1. Comfort: since my grandfather will be using it (chauffeur driven), he travels 50k kms per year, and he just turned 80 last year .
2. Good ride quality: 90% highway use, but some rough roads as well.
3. Low maintenance.
4. Fuel Efficiency.

so which one do you suggest out of these two?

does the innova underbody scrape easily while going over broken roads?
For Grandpa!

Its INNOVA all the way!! Unless he is a rustic and still wild at heart!

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 13:37   #17
IMP
BHPian

iraghava - i know, thats a lot of traveling esp at his age.

We currently have a Safari 2.0 TCIC for him, how does the comfort and the ride quality of the innova compare esp over bad roads with the safari? I did test drive the innova but only over good roads. We ruled out the scorpio since it gets into rocking motion even on good roads.

akshay - thats nice to know, because the roads where he travels, underbody scraping is a concern, esp for sedans.

Last edited by IMP : 8th January 2008 at 13:42.
IMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 13:45   #18
Team-BHP Support

the scorpio does have alot of body roll and out of that, the safari and the innoca the innova has the least body roll. its comfort is pretty good over the bad roads and if you can the the innova g4, or v with the captains chairs nothing like it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 13:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We currently have a Safari 2.0 TCIC for him, how does the comfort and the ride quality of the innova compare esp over bad roads with the safari?
Now I'm intrigued . Your grandpa uses a TCIC & you are asking about the ride quality of the Innova over bad roads - obviously the Safari scores on that & you know it. So, what's preventing the purchase of the 2.2 Safari then - to me it looks like a no-brainer ?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 13:55   #20
LLL
BHPian

my 2 cents - since ur grandpa would be travelling for 50k kms p.a., he may not have time for frequent visits to the TASS to take care of niggles in safari.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 14:01   #21
BANNED

He'll niether have time to land up at TOYOTA dealeship for body repairs, and suspension changes now and then driving over bad roads.

We are in INDIA man, dont tell me all the long routes are good strech.

He can seriously have a bad back with the INNOVA.

Where's the Confusion.

Go man......
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 14:09   #22
IMP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Now I'm intrigued . Your grandpa uses a TCIC & you are asking about the ride quality of the Innova over bad roads - obviously the Safari scores on that & you know it. So, what's preventing the purchase of the 2.2 Safari then - to me it looks like a no-brainer ?
no i genuinely dont know whether the innova is any better than the safari over bad roads or any roads, i have never travelled in the innova except for the test drive, also do you have any idea how bad the suspension becomes when a safari has done 2.7 lakh kms (did a sunspension job at 1.5 lakhs)? i think that the innova wont detoriate so much. Also the vehicle will be used 90-95% on the highway that too the mumbai-kolhapur route. Bad roads if any will be minimal, i just asked so i know.

LLL - Absolutely, it happens all the time.

PAVAN - understood, but i dont think that is true, body damage can happen to any vehicle, but suspension changes due to bad roads, i dont think so.
Old 8th January 2008, 14:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

OT: IMP, if you do not buy the 2.2, I am sure Pavam will be hunting you down!!!

But, seriously, if your grans is already using a Safari, then why this comparison?

It boils down to this:
Is your grans happy with the Safari?

If he feels that he could use a change of product, then Innova is the way. It does have enough ground clearance to go over Indian road challenges. It will not be an issue.

But, if he is happy and a satisfied Safari user, get the 2.2. Since he has a driver, I guess the driver can make the intial drives to TASS to sort out the intial hickups!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 14:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
my 2 cents - since ur grandpa would be travelling for 50k kms p.a., he may not have time for frequent visits to the TASS to take care of niggles in safari.
He seems to be finding the time now
Old 8th January 2008, 14:17   #25
BHPian

Above of the all is - "Safari is SAFARI SIR!!!"
manish_symc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 14:26   #26
BANNED

ha ha, i am not hunting any one down,

Why a dilemma when you have alerady tested a product for a long time.

There seems to be no confusion as per me.

I already enjoy the BEAST,i have travelled long distance in an INNOVA as well. just thought would help a fellow mate do his decision.

After using the Exciting Safari why would someone want to SOBER down buying an INNOVA.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 14:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
ha ha, i am not hunting any one down,
Pavan - your love for the beast is know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
...Why a dilemma when you have alerady tested a product for a long time.

There seems to be no confusion as per me.

I already enjoy the BEAST,i have travelled long distance in an INNOVA as well. just thought would help a fellow mate do his decision.

After using the Exciting Safari why would someone want to SOBER down buying an INNOVA.
Maybe thats just it. His grans has decided that he will start showing his age and go with the Innova.

IMP - gotta love your grans, he has taste!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 15:13   #28
IMP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
He seems to be finding the time now
yes, infact we are actually forced to buy a new vehicle, since this time around the TASS found a shear crack in the chasis near the front right steering joint, and has advised us to change the entire chasis but we decided to go for a new vehicle.
Old 8th January 2008, 15:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TASS found a shear crack in the chasis near the front right steering joint, and has advised us to change the entire chasis but we decided to go for a new vehicle.
Makes a lot of sense - especially considering the amount of mileage that the vehicle has already logged! 2.7 lac kms is no small feat - I'm not sure if Innovas have been around that long for them to log up similar mileages for comparison

Last edited by suman : 8th January 2008 at 15:19.
Old 8th January 2008, 15:24   #30
adc
Senior - BHPian

Whenever one considers like "whether Safari or Innova" or "Scorpio or Innova", it is better then to go for Innova. For pure functionality and practicality go for the Innova.

Majority of those who have bought Safari or aspire to buy have looked at nothing other than Safari or max at Scorpio, and nothing deters them be it the constant "niggle/failure story" or the resale value.

Speaking from my experience with Safari 2.2 and having driven for 5000 km in 2.5 months, I till now yet to come across any issues, whether be it the "small niggles" or any "engine failures." Safari LX, for me, at its price range gives me the maximum value for money. I have stopped looking at the interiors long back.

Last edited by adc : 8th January 2008 at 15:37.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote