Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 8th March 2008, 20:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

I have been mulling the same thing!

Decided to do a little bit of googling and I found that the same Safari being sold abroad comes with a limited slip differential in the 4 x 4

Tata Motors International : Products : TATA Safari DiCOR (look under the tech-specs link)

And the the ones sold in India DON'T!!

TATA Motors - Safari DICOR

Its either that or their website needs some tweaking ... But if its true - bad enough that foreign companies used to do this to us... but one of our own......

Last edited by kb100 : 8th March 2008 at 20:17.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 13:45   #107
BHPian

This is how it went with Manipal -
1) I asked for a 4 wheel vehicle TD. They kept me on wait for 3 weeks and then came back and told me that their 4WD vehicle is having problems. They had to take out some of its parts and put it in a customers vehicle which had issues
2) When i did get the TD, the noise was not Turbo Spooling up but a clear roar like a split exhaust type. The Manipal guy did tell me there was some problem. The vehicle had done only about 1,500km
3) Now that there is a completely new Tata SAfari due in 2009 (As per lateste autocar), it just makes more sense to hold off as the current ones resale will drop like a rock.

Probably the innova looks to be the best road cruiser for me at this stage.. .will have to decide on it sometime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Originalamit,

That particular demo vehicle could be a bad egg. Suggest you try a TD from concorde or ask manipal if they have another vehicle.

Normally if you accelerate, you hear some noise from the Turbo spooling up, which settles down when the engine reaches around 2k rpm. In the right gear, there should be no noise.

The civic will not be able to take you to the forests.... ;-)
originalamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 14:06   #108
Senior - BHPian

You are exactly right amit, TATA still need sometime to come up with peace of mind vehicle, They have winner in terms of looks, comfort, image creating indian born SUV. But refinement/quality is the areas they need to work out, their new Safari I am sure will bring great success all together!

The present Safari has one or other trouble. but still its worth for that money we pay

So lets wish TATA good luck.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:08   #109
BHPian

would agree... i like what Tata makes, just want it to be more reliable. Will be waiting for the next version of it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
You are exactly right amit, TATA still need sometime to come up with peace of mind vehicle, They have winner in terms of looks, comfort, image creating indian born SUV. But refinement/quality is the areas they need to work out, their new Safari I am sure will bring great success all together!

The present Safari has one or other trouble. but still its worth for that money we pay

Regards,

Ravi.
originalamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The Indian one comes with LSD too. I have one. The Manual clearly mentions this as well.

cheers:
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:43   #111
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

Regards,

Ravi.
Please eloborate on "one or other trouble" . I am planning to buy a 2.2 shortly.
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

Nothing that the owners here have reported, there was Power steering assembly replacement in the first batch which was done by TATA's.

Apart from it, Nothing till today.

You can check out my ownership report, if you want to.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 00:58   #113

Hey ever one,multiple threads of the same topic , does show the need for such a product from TATA . some may like innova for its sheer comfort and Quality. But even being a diesel, I am not really impressed by the efficiency , call it the extra weight the chassis has to go through for the engine to slug.
But every one does know the AVL sources TATA 2.2 common rail is lil more fuel efficient and the monthly bill will show a definite saving. Anyway sourced the pics from an another Forum, but jus knowing the cross over being tested in UK, would help in the interior and the overall quality of the end product.
Finger's crossed
Attached Images

cliffbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

[quote=kb100;751182]

Decided to do a little bit of googling and I found that the same Safari being sold abroad comes with a limited slip differential in the 4 x 4

Tata Motors International : Products : TATA Safari DiCOR (look under the tech-specs link)

TATA Motors - Safari DICOR

KB my 4x4 definitely has an LSD because it has had occasion to slip and show it's presence.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:10   #115

When Reliability, Comfort & Low Maintenance is in the top of your list nothing can beat Toyota Innova. It is not a pure off roader but still it can handle looking at your usage. If your are only looking for the rugged looks Safari may do, but practically it may not. I would suggest you to have a look at the fit and finish of Safari and picture yourseld after using it for some Kilometers.
jithesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 09:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

I agree with this set of statements.
It is all too often that us lay people get carried away with the looks and "image" of an SUV when actually we would be much more comfy in an MUV like an Innova - going of course by the list of priorities mentioned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithesh View Post
When Reliability, Comfort & Low Maintenance is in the top of your list nothing can beat Toyota Innova. It is not a pure off roader but still it can handle looking at your usage. If your are only looking for the rugged looks Safari may do, but practically it may not. I would suggest you to have a look at the fit and finish of Safari and picture yourseld after using it for some Kilometers.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 13:26   #117

Default Innova vs Scorpio vs Safari

Hi All,
I am new to T-bhp. So I am sorry if I am seeking response to my query in an existing thread.
I currently own a Jan 2005 Tata Indigo Marina (Diesel) and am reasonably satisfied with it in terms of the space & fuel effeciency it offers; the flip side is ofcourse lack of refinement & average build quality. We are a family of 4 with frequent visitors. I am looking forward to replacing it early next year and require help in identifying which car to buy. My wishlist is as under:
1. Good build quality to last for atleast next 5 years (MOST IMPORTANT)
2. Contemporary in looks
3. Should seat around 6-7 people (ideally but NOT mandatory)
4. Budget around 9-11 lacs
5. Good ride quality and economical to maintain & run
Also I would be using the car mainly in the city (Mumbai) and an occasional weekend trip; which would mean clocking average of 1000 kms per month.
First of all I am still wondering if it makes sense for me to go in for a diesel car at all. It definitely feels lighter on the wallet when going to tank up but may mean more money spent on servicing!!!
If its a diesel then I would like a large car on the lines of Scorpio mHawk or Toyota Innova or Safari. Which would be the better out of the 3 considering my requirements above?
autolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:32   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolover View Post
under:
1. Good build quality to last for atleast next 5 years (MOST IMPORTANT)
the innovas build quality is better than the safaris and the scorpios thought the quality on the scorp has improved.
2. Contemporary in looks
subjective
3. Should seat around 6-7 people (ideally but NOT mandatory)
innova seats 7 much more comfortably than the safari or the scorp.
4. Budget around 9-11 lacs
you would get the innova g4 in that budget but the innova is due for a facelift so incase you buy now you might get the innova v at a discount.
5. Good ride quality and economical to maintain & run
innova ride quality is very good though not as good as the safari but is good enough for bombay roads.
Also I would be using the car mainly in the city (Mumbai) and an occasional weekend trip; which would mean clocking average of 1000 kms per month.
First of all I am still wondering if it makes sense for me to go in for a diesel car at all. It definitely feels lighter on the wallet when going to tank up but may mean more money spent on servicing!!!
well if you want a big car then the only option you have is diesel. though the innova does have a petrol but the average of that would be around 7 in the city whereas the diesels is around 9.
If its a diesel then I would like a large car on the lines of Scorpio mHawk or Toyota Innova or Safari. Which would be the better out of the 3 considering my requirements above?
my replies above in bold.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 01:17   #119
BANNED

stock of current innova being cleared, thats why you see its discounted price these days in newspapers.

wait for new innova and RAV4 by year end.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 07:53   #120
Senior - BHPian

With your stated requirements, Innova is the one that satisfies the specs.
You'll have a troublefree ownership experience.
Use the current discounts and get a good deal. You'll still have many buyers to give you a good price when you decide to sell at the end of 5 years.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote