Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 21st January 2008, 19:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thats wonderfull decision!

Congrats about it and can't wait to see the pictures.

All the best,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 20:18   #32
BHPian

congrats dude.welcome to the truckers club!!!!!
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:55   #33
BHPian

Friends...i bought mine on the 18th & had the alloys fit on the 19th. It was plati 16 inch. The tire is OE, bridgestone dueller. All went well when the OE wheel was replaced with the alloys. Happily, i took it out of the wheel alignment centre & by the time I turned right.........damn thing does not move well...i could hear noises.

Alighted from the beast & found that the tires are getting scraped. For those of you from B'lore, you must have heard the "world famous in B'lore called vijay wheel alignment" mentioned that this is nothing new & happens everytime.

Solutions my friends is:- trim the metal of the chassis & SCRAPE the front bumper. This I got it done at JC Road & the mechanic too happily conformed that it is quite normal.

On the 20th, i visited TASS, Manipal & the fellas there too confirmed that it happened with them too.

I am quite happy with the alloys after the scrape job, but deep inside, my blood boils. NOTTA PROBLEM!!

I am awaiting to give "mouthfull" to tata guys when they call me for feedback on the driving experience, 'coz, I mentioned to the sales guy before hand that I am going in for ex-aura alloys & he never mentioned any so called issues with non-aura wheels.

Just forgot to add - the "intercooler turbo version" of the safari was quite flexible to have non-oe alloy/ tire retrofits, where the caster (hope this is the right word...i'm no auto engineer), can be adjusted. This is what the experts quoted.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2008 at 05:53. Reason: Posts merged
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

There is a metal splash guard 1-2mm thick which protects the underbody/chassis and is also extends under till the middle of the front tyres.

This splash guard has a gap of 1 inch from the chassis and 1 inch from touching the tyres upon full turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Friends...i bought mine on the 18th & had the alloys fit on the 19th. It was plati 16 inch. The tire is OE, bridgestone dueller. All went well when the OE wheel was replaced with the alloys. Happily, i took it out of the wheel alignment centre & by the time I turned right.........damn thing does not move well...i could hear noises.

Alighted from the beast & found that the tires are getting scraped. For those of you from B'lore, you must have heard the "world famous in B'lore called vijay wheel alignment" mentioned that this is nothing new & happens everytime.

I hope only the splash guard was trimmed and not the Chassis, trimming the chassis would mean cancellation of warranty by TATA.

Forget what the TASS says, if a problem occurs related to the suspension and chassis, your warranty will stand VOID, if alteration to chassis was done.

But I am sure it was the splash guard. If in doubt, post a picture of your front right wheel completely turned to the left and through the gap that shows up from behind.

Quote:
Solutions my friends is:- trim the metal of the chassis & SCRAPE the front bumper. This I got it done at JC Road & the mechanic too happily conformed that it is quite normal.

On the 20th, i visited TASS, Manipal & the fellas there too confirmed that it happened with them too.

I am quite happy with the alloys after the scrape job, but deep inside, my blood boils. NOTTA PROBLEM!!
Sales guys are usually not well educated on these mechanics and accessories part, they know more on the features and other logistics part and inturn consult their accessories guys, did you speak to the accessory guy in manipal.

TATA's will not help you on non-OEM equipment.

Quote:
I am awaiting to give "mouthfull" to tata guys when they call me for feedback on the driving experience, 'coz, I mentioned to the sales guy before hand that I am going in for ex-aura alloys & he never mentioned any so called issues with non-aura wheels.

Last edited by dadu : 22nd January 2008 at 10:18.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just forgot to add - the "intercooler turbo version" of the safari was quite flexible to have non-oe alloy/ tire retrofits, where the caster (hope this is the right word...i'm no auto engineer), can be adjusted. This is what the experts quoted.
shouldn't have happened if the plati alloys are of same specs (pcd, offset and width) as that of the OE alloy.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
shouldn't have happened if the plati alloys are of same specs (pcd, offset and width) as that of the OE alloy.
I think these are wider than the OE, that is why the requirement of shaving & scraping. The OE alloys sit very comfortably within the wheel well
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Also, I would be suspect of what offset he's bought. It just might be that he's bought negative offset to get that tyre sitting outside the body look.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 21:11   #38
BHPian

Friends......I never knew that the alloys would have so many specs to consider.....no regrets though. I will post the pics once i'm bak.
m3_07 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:18   #39
BHPian

I've a query regarding Insurance. I've approached three dealers in Bangalore. All of them are quoting different prices for Insurance (approx. 1K difference). As I'm buying a new vehicle, I couldn't understand why this difference in insurance premium. Can anyone please enlighten me?
suncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:10   #40
BHPian

I went in for bajaj alliance this time too, had the same one for my earlier car. While the company quoted 27K, my insurance fixed up the same for 25K.
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 16:42   #41
BHPian

Instead of buying the Safari,which I might add is a very good car(I'm a owner you see),go in for the new Sumo Grande.Much better than the Safari according to me.
katalysm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 19:13   #42
BHPian

Default Driving License - Advice needed

My driving license is for LMV class of vehicle. Does Safari come under this purview? Should I need to get any other different class license?

Please suggest.
Old 1st February 2008, 22:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncity View Post
My driving license is for LMV class of vehicle. Does Safari come under this purview? Should I need to get any other different class license?

Please suggest.
Safari is a LMV so you are fine with license for LMV.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 09:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Safari is a LMV so you are fine with license for LMV.
Thanks for the reply.

My car delivery has been postponed. I was expecting it on Feb 3. The dealer said that he didn't receive it the recent lot. So, have to wait for another 4-5 days.
Old 8th February 2008, 09:46   #45
BHPian

Went to the stock yard to check the Safari. Went through the PDI checks once (though not all of them).

I've a query. The dealer is asking for the full amount before proceeding for registration. He has mentioned that registration will be done only after he receives the full amount in his account. Is this the standard practice? Please reply.