Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 4th February 2008, 16:53   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
alright the reasons why i would never go in for a endeavour or pajero are:--

pajero -- 1) it is a 15 year old design
2) i drove a pajero recently its got no power
3) my cousins had mitsubishi pajeros (one indian and 1 was imported) and after crossing the 15k or 20k mark on the odo all the body parts started to rattle and some parts even fell off by 30k!!!!!!

Hello,

Just going through this post and cant resist myself from posting.

PAJERO is just like a wish to persons who are die hard driver. I am agreed that its an old design, agreed it has plain interiors, agreed that three persons cant sit properly in middle seat but its very very reliable vehicle with excellent drivers appeal. Its like wife not like girlfriend (As once written by VEYRON senior BHPian). Kindly check ur data before posting.

Cheers!!
urs_frienddelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 20:50   #32
BHPian

Default Prices in the UK - How should they translate to India CBU

Here are some of the prices in the UK

Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 PRICE: 21,877 - 26,457
Volkswagen Tiguan 4x4 PRICE: 19,370 - 23,400
Honda CR-V 4x4 PRICE: 18,980 - 27,080
Mitsubishi Outlander 4x4 PRICE: 19,664 - 27,254

Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 PRICE: 12,875 - 18,499

Logically the Tiguan ought to be priced between the CRV and the SantaFe.. Knowing Hyundai, i doubt if they will price the SantaFe higher than the CRV and the Captiva (though it is a 2 wheel drive). Knowing HM/Mitsubishi, and how they have priced the Pajero, they will price it highest amongst the SUVs mentioned above. And knowing VW, they will compete with HM to price it higher..;-)..

Last edited by rangaraj : 4th February 2008 at 20:52.
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 18:27   #33
BHPian

Mitsubishi Outlander is expected in June 2008 and at a price lower than Pajero. Pajero is around 18 ex - showroom while Outlander is expected to be south of 15 competing with Endeavour, Grand Vitara etc. Although Pajero is doing good sales especially in north India, it may get phased out in a year or two and Outlander should fill that space with perhaps one or two higher variants at that time.

Montero is a high end SUV of Mitsubishi prices at 34 lacs ex showroom.

Information source as they say is reliable
Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 15:29   #34
BHPian

v10,

Looks like most of the popular SUVs are out of contention(Pajero/Endeavor) and you already own or sold, CR-V and Tuscan.
So no wonder why you shortlisted Captiva,SantaFe and I might add Grand Vitara(GV) to your list.

So only thing that is not launched yet is SantaFe(not sure how much success it sees in India).
As friends mentioned here, Captiva doesn't have a 4/AWD. If this is option you wanna have then it is out of contention.

That leaves with GV and yet to be launched SantaFe.(not considering others in your list as I am not confident of launch)
SantaFe is an excellent SUV and sells really well in other part of the world. But It might suffer as Tuscan if not marketed well as Hyundai has image problem in upmarket segement as there are strong players out there.

So my view is its bet GV or SantaFe if you must wanna have A/4WD or Captiva is very good SUV with excellent engine in it.

Cheers
Anju
Anju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 13:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat View Post
Mitsubishi Outlander is expected in June 2008 and at a price lower than Pajero. Pajero is around 18 ex - showroom while Outlander is expected to be south of 15 competing with Endeavour, Grand Vitara etc. Although Pajero is doing good sales especially in north India, it may get phased out in a year or two and Outlander should fill that space with perhaps one or two higher variants at that time.

Montero is a high end SUV of Mitsubishi prices at 34 lacs ex showroom.

Information source as they say is reliable
The mitsubishi guys in bangalore mentioned that it is likely to be out in August. Most likely petrol and cheaper than the pajero. They are still figuring out CBU vs CKD. What surprised me was that Pajero is a CKD and is priced so high despite being such an old model and they must have depreciated the dies and stamping eqpt before sending it to India.. The new lancer will also be announced in the same time frame as the outlander.
Old 11th February 2008, 13:59   #36
BHPian

Why not the Safari VX 4x4?
Diesel, < 20L, great ride quality, and a new engine too.
Snob value? Even Italians buy them trucks..
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 14:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Why not the Safari VX 4x4?
Diesel, < 20L, great ride quality, and a new engine too.
Snob value? Even Italians buy them trucks..
Truck drivers/fleet operators dont bother about snob value unlike most of us, just the ROI..
Old 11th February 2008, 14:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
Looking for an SUV for 20 lakhs..... just sold my 2007 cr-v..... the SUV should be diesel..... am interested in the following
1.) Chevorlet Captiva
2.) Hyundai Santa Fe
3.) Mitsubishi outlander and Toyota fortuner (if coming to india soon)

Am not intrested in the ford endeavour....(too harsh) or the hyundai tucson (already own a silver one)

Looking forward to your suggestions and if any of you guys know when these SUVs will be launched.......

Thanks
You may also look at a used montero if you dont mind used cars and intend to keep it for some time. There are lots of used monteros available in delhi. Usually mitsubishi vehicles last long and most Montero buyers hardly ever go offroad or trash the vehicle.

I myself am looking for a SUV and have test driven a used montero. It is in a different league to the ones you have mentioned in your shortlist.
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 14:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

At 20L, captiva is the only option i guess. it has a very good presence on the road. but it resembles the crv.

raj
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 17:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
You may also look at a used montero if you dont mind used cars and intend to keep it for some time. There are lots of used monteros available in delhi. Usually mitsubishi vehicles last long and most Montero buyers hardly ever go offroad or trash the vehicle.

I myself am looking for a SUV and have test driven a used montero. It is in a different league to the ones you have mentioned in your shortlist.
Wow.. that's fairly quick for them to come out in the second hand market - especially in that number - must be a reason (expensive to maintain?). What is the resale value of a one year old Montero - cant depreciate by half and come to the 20L bracket!
Old 12th February 2008, 08:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Wow.. that's fairly quick for them to come out in the second hand market - especially in that number - must be a reason (expensive to maintain?). What is the resale value of a one year old Montero - cant depreciate by half and come to the 20L bracket!
Am also surprised at how come so many are available. One reason could be as you mentioned. Another one is that a new version is available. Here in bangalore only builders, mine owners and mall owners seem to buy it mostly for snob value, and they are upgrading to new version.
In delhi the price of the older one was much lesser than 40, more around 33-34 due to lesser road tax. Also there are a host of vehicles avialable there from 2002 to 2006 in ranges from 15 -25 lakhs (first dealer quote on phone). They are bound to go down on bargaining.
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 11:02   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There was a white Montero for sale in Delhi. Owner should settle for about 25 lakhs.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 12:17   #43
BHPian

Default CBU to CKD

With the figures of more than 100-200+ CRV's a month, Honda have indicated that they may consider going to a CKD route. Considering the price of the Accord (which is a CKD) it does not reflect the possibility of a price of 12L for ex-showroom as projected by a few news papers based on a interview with the head of Honda India. With the new Accord being announced in April and the only real competition being the CBU imports, they are considering moving towards that direction. Are they likely to announce the diesel CRV?

Is there any market news of any of the SUVs moving towards a CKD and reducing their prices? Maruti, Honda, GM? (Endy is a CKD i believe)..
Old 28th February 2008, 18:35   #44
BHPian

Mitsubishi Outlander is getting launched in August. Check the home page of ACI and it has some write up as well. Looks like a good cool deal.
Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 19:19   #45
BHPian

Captiva .... reading lot about it in magazines why don't you look at it
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote